Mental Illness

Thanks. I find ways to be happy each day. I make sure I do. Right now I'm avoiding doing the house work and goofing off. LOL

I agree with you about mental illness.

:rose:

FF, oh when there is something not quite right with our kids... It's horrible! I hope you find some peace and happiness today and always.

And to answer your original question, I believe that the brain can get sick like any other organ in the human body and mental illness is nothing more than ILLNESS. And that there are a heck of a lot of undiagnosed mentally ill people out there walking around.

I seem to attract bipolar friends, and once had an LTR with a bi-polar girl. Granted, it's a small sample size, but these were some of the smartest, most interesting people I've ever known. I suspect there's a correlation, if not some causal relationship, between bi-polarism and some types of intelligence, particularly artsy intelligence.

While it can be hard to have a relationship with a bi-polar person, that's only one aspect of their personality. You have to look at the entire person.

One reason I think there's a stigma to mental illness is that people fear it. They don't understand it, they don't know its ramifications, and there's some projection - What if that were me?

In any event, my best to those of you with the courage to discuss your problems and to take steps to deal with them.

Hi,
I have read the forums here for a while and just had to join in with this, I suffered with depression for about 7 years, although in truth I concider myself to be living with it rather than cured. I have noticed a trend, a lot of people from the alternative sides of life have a high percentage of depression. ILve thought about it a lot wondering why this is and have come to some conclussions of my own. When you live a non conformist life in modern society you open yourself up to a lot of abuse and ignorance. A lot of my depression came about when I tried to change ,yself to 'fit in'better. It was like trying to live a duel life and it was a huge factor in my illness. My recovery really only started when I acepted that I am and always will be a large build lady with heavy gothic tendancies, who loves t
o dance, is possibly a bit bonkers and likes kinky sex. Once I stopped trying to be what others thougt I should be I found my recovery went much smoother. With the support of a good counciller I got off medication and have not looked back. When you are comfortable in your own skin mental illness, at least for me became easier to control. Prehaps if society backed off and let Goths, metalers, gays, BDsm practitioners etc get on with their lives instead of ridiculing and isolating them depression rates would drop.

Or maybe it's the exact opposite. Those of us with mental issues are drawn toward fringe groups because it's often easier to find acceptance there. Nobody likes it when you say that, though.

Or maybe it's the exact opposite. Those of us with mental issues are drawn toward fringe groups because it's often easier to find acceptance there. Nobody likes it when you say that, though.

ITA with you, BiBunny.

I agree with this bolded part.

I seem to attract bipolar friends, and once had an LTR with a bi-polar girl. Granted, it's a small sample size, but these were some of the smartest, most interesting people I've ever known. I suspect there's a correlation, if not some causal relationship, between bi-polarism and some types of intelligence, particularly artsy intelligence.

While it can be hard to have a relationship with a bi-polar person, that's only one aspect of their personality. You have to look at the entire person.

One reason I think there's a stigma to mental illness is that people fear it. They don't understand it, they don't know its ramifications, and there's some projection - What if that were me?

In any event, my best to those of you with the courage to discuss your problems and to take steps to deal with them.

So, my sister (the one I think is bipolar) was doing cocaine and stripping for two weeks. Then she quit, and is back in her home town pissing people off (already supposedly slept with two strange men, and now is with another loser 'boyfriend'). I guess she's been on facebook threatening suicide, and my mom asked why she isn't taking her meds (she's on zoloft) and she screamed at her 'BECAUSE THEY DON'T WORK!'.

:eek:

I wish I could force her to get evaluated, but evidently I can't.

*HUGS*

I'm so sorry Beautiful Graceanne. I don't know how I'd deal with that you are going through.

My girl always says that she can't if tell her meds are working or not. She "can't" remember to take them unless I help her. She hates me helping her.

Meanwhile I've cried twice tonight and I'm feeling quite depressed. It's not bad enough that my girl is just vacant right now.

My son is also having ALL his stress related illnesses, snapping, growling, refusing to communicate at times and just shutting off.

I'm feeling pretty hurt, sick to my stomach, just too pushed down. Never fear though. No one can get to me like my son. He is the one I'm closest to but I'll be fine. I'm always fine.

So, my sister (the one I think is bipolar) was doing cocaine and stripping for two weeks. Then she quit, and is back in her home town pissing people off (already supposedly slept with two strange men, and now is with another loser 'boyfriend'). I guess she's been on facebook threatening suicide, and my mom asked why she isn't taking her meds (she's on zoloft) and she screamed at her 'BECAUSE THEY DON'T WORK!'.

but I'll be fine. I'm always fine.

FF...
You are always so many things to so many people...most of all your family.
Just remember that you can't help anyone until you put on your own "oxygen mask".
You need to take care of yourself first, and foremost.

And be very tender, gentle and caring with yourself, you will thrive on it.
:rose::heart::rose:

Nighty-night!

FF...
You are always so many things to so many people...most of all your family.
Just remember that you can't help anyone until you put on your own "oxygen mask".
You need to take care of yourself first, and foremost.

And be very tender, gentle and caring with yourself, you will thrive on it.
:rose::heart::rose:

Nighty-night!

Very good advice! Please be good to yourself. I only "know" you from here on Lit, but I think you deserve to be much more than "fine." :rose:

Thanks! I try hard to take good care of myself. I do find it difficult at times. Sometimes I just feel as though I can't eat, can't breathe, can't find any me time, but I keep going.

This summer has been a really big surprising one full of family crisis. I'm about really to just scream. Crying is probably good for me too. In fact, in the taking care of myself catagory, I really do need to cry more, just let it the fuck out.

Happily sleep issues are not a problem right now, (knock on wood) I'm just too damn tired. Sweet dreams to you!

FYI, my stomach just growled and the cat rose up to stare in a sort of shocked, WTF way! Best laugh I've had ALL day!

Very good advice! Please be good to yourself. I only "know" you from here on Lit, but I think you deserve to be much more than "fine." :rose:

*HUGS*

I'm so sorry Beautiful Graceanne. I don't know how I'd deal with that you are going through.

My girl always says that she can't if tell her meds are working or not. She "can't" remember to take them unless I help her. She hates me helping her.

Meanwhile I've cried twice tonight and I'm feeling quite depressed. It's not bad enough that my girl is just vacant right now.

My son is also having ALL his stress related illnesses, snapping, growling, refusing to communicate at times and just shutting off.

I'm feeling pretty hurt, sick to my stomach, just too pushed down. Never fear though. No one can get to me like my son. He is the one I'm closest to but I'll be fine. I'm always fine.

*hugs*

*Hugs to both Gracie and Fury*

I'm grumpy because I can't find my sleeping pills. Surely I didn't run out without realizing it. But what in the world would've happened to a whole pack of the damn things? :confused:

*HUGS*

I'm feeling pretty hurt, sick to my stomach, just too pushed down.

:rose: Hope things improve for you soon, but I'm well aware those changes are usually only breaks to allow us to grab a breath in readiness for the next time. We have been having a week of it ourselves and F has decided we just need to step back from the situation, both for our own sanity as well as safety. It is not an easy decision to make, nor one we are finding easy accepting, but for now it seems the wisest decision. Thank goodness we have each other to get through this with.

Catalina

She "can't" remember to take them unless I help her. She hates me helping her..

OK am I being overly simplistic here? When I've had to take meds I've always programmed daily-repeating, timed alarm-reminders into my mobile phone...

Yes. She claims she can and has done that but still doesn't take meds on a regular basis. She claims she does but I found way too many drugs and I also go to the drug store for her so I know damn well she isn't taking them regularly. Go figure.

OK am I being overly simplistic here? When I've had to take meds I've always programmed daily-repeating, timed alarm-reminders into my mobile phone...

*HUGS* Sometimes distance is wise, hard to manage to do but wise.

:rose: Hope things improve for you soon, but I'm well aware those changes are usually only breaks to allow us to grab a breath in readiness for the next time. We have been having a week of it ourselves and F has decided we just need to step back from the situation, both for our own sanity as well as safety. It is not an easy decision to make, nor one we are finding easy accepting, but for now it seems the wisest decision. Thank goodness we have each other to get through this with.

Catalina

*hugs*

Did you find them?

*Hugs to both Gracie and Fury*

I'm grumpy because I can't find my sleeping pills. Surely I didn't run out without realizing it. But what in the world would've happened to a whole pack of the damn things? :confused:

There may be more than a bit of truth there. I'm not a psychiatrist, but that doesn't sound like the kind of behavior Zoloft is meant to correct. Exacerbate, if anything.

There may be more than a bit of truth there. I'm not a psychiatrist, but that doesn't sound like the kind of behavior Zoloft is meant to correct. Exacerbate, if anything.

I don't know. She was living with me for awhile, and taking her zoloft, and was doing okay. But that was only ... a month?

Honestly, though, I don't know if I think they will help. Zoloft is for depression, and I'd bet money she's bipolar. What frustrates me is that while everyone agrees she might, will anyone do anything to get her help? Fuck, no. We wouldn't want her labeled. :rolleyes: Sometimes a label SAVES LIVES. :mad:

*HUGS* Sometimes distance is wise, hard to manage to do but wise.

Yep, though is still hard to maintain when we think about how it must feel to be locked in a mental hospital with no visitors, no freedom. We and one other were the last who stuck by and supported when these crisis times hit, but this time is worse than ever before with seriously aggressive behaviour, threats and abuse, so unfortunately we have all backed off for now to take a breather and reassess in a few days what the best thing is to do. F is burned out on it I think, as well as hurt and feeling great empathy for their situation, but at a loss as to how to cope with the threats and manipulative behaviour followed by no contact when all is well again.

Catalina:rose:

That sounds so frustrating.

*hugs*

I don't know. She was living with me for awhile, and taking her zoloft, and was doing okay. But that was only ... a month?

Honestly, though, I don't know if I think they will help. Zoloft is for depression, and I'd bet money she's bipolar. What frustrates me is that while everyone agrees she might, will anyone do anything to get her help? Fuck, no. We wouldn't want her labeled. :rolleyes: Sometimes a label SAVES LIVES. :mad:

Yay you!

Sleep is sooooo important. Around here it is sacred.

Nope, but I managed to sleep ok without them, so crisis averted for now. :)

*hugs to you and F*

I can't imagine what you are going through.

Yep, though is still hard to maintain when we think about how it must feel to be locked in a mental hospital with no visitors, no freedom. We and one other were the last who stuck by and supported when these crisis times hit, but this time is worse than ever before with seriously aggressive behaviour, threats and abuse, so unfortunately we have all backed off for now to take a breather and reassess in a few days what the best thing is to do. F is burned out on it I think, as well as hurt and feeling great empathy for their situation, but at a loss as to how to cope with the threats and manipulative behaviour followed by no contact when all is well again.

Catalina:rose:

So here's my news. Saturday and Sunday were much better days. My son was in less pain. My girl seems a little less empty. I took care of myself by making me some soup, getting some sleep, giving me an orgasm. Things seem much brighter.

The truth is what my son did was totally normal for most people. I just don't expect it from him. My expectations and perceptions were the issue, again. Also, my own frustration as doing so much, for so long, and for so little improvement in the situations I was dealing with, was part of it.

Yesterday, my mother told me that I wasn't giving her a reason to live. Does anyone feel like that's their job with a parent or mentally ill person?

She went on to say she wasn't important to me or my family. Of course nothing I said made any difference but the fact is, she continues to try to control us and we need distance to be healthy.

I wish her behaviors that drain and push people away were in the past but they are ongoing.

Yesterday, my mother told me that I wasn't giving her a reason to live. Does anyone feel like that's their job with a parent or mentally ill person?

She went on to say she wasn't important to me or my family. Of course nothing I said made any difference but the fact is, she continues to try to control us and we need distance to be healthy.

I wish her behaviors that drain and push people away were in the past but they are ongoing.

I'm sorry she is still trying to control you. That is unfortunate. Hugs. Just remember its the disease not her. I try with my sister but due to my own problems and hers we clash. So I have to be around her in small doses.

Thanks.

*hugs*

She said the last time she had a purpose was when she was "taking care" of her mother. Something she did very poorly, at times abusively and exploitative though Grand seemed thrilled to finally have mother so closely tied to her. Which is why I didn't get in the middle of it though I did try to get Grand things and people that could help her.

I'm sorry she is still trying to control you. That is unfortunate. Hugs. Just remember its the disease not her. I try with my sister but due to my own problems and hers we clash. So I have to be around her in small doses.

Back