The Truth About The Darkness (Closed)

IvoryValentine

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Posts
450
As most days were in the height of summer, Flotsam was hot and humid. The air felt heavy in the port city and there were few places to escape the never ending heat. Despite the discomfort, the city continued to mill about it’s business. Fishermen selling their wares as well as merchants and smugglers. Patrols of city guards marched this way and that, though Livia Green felt less and less like they were anything more than decoration. With every passing day there was a building tension amongst the politicians of Flotsam. Only two days ago, Livia had sat at her place on city council and questioned the decisions that Mayor Toede had been making regarding the growing number of Minotaur ships outside the city harbor. To Livia it was clear that they were on the edge of an invasion but Mayer Toede dismissed her notions with a flick of his wrist, saying that her feminine whims were getting the better of her, and when she became outraged he declared that her mother’s bloodline was prone to such mistrust in anyone not of their elven heritage. Livia’s expression changed from one of concern and outrage to the icy glare that her father had been famous for.

Livia’s father had been a knight of a dark order. He had been a knight of the skull who was well known within the order for his military tactics. He was not only smart but patient. Some had questioned his decision to take an elven maiden as his bride. There had been talk of it being a strategic move, not only to unnerve the elven community but to somehow make a connection with those known as dark elves: those the eleven nations had turned their backs on for sins such as murder, theft and for loving the wrong person. Livia’s mother, had been thought to have been kidnapped and forced into the union. This was far from the case. She had seen power that she simply could never find in any mate she could aspire to amongst the elves. Something about the high ranking knight of the skull excited her, filled her with passion that consumed her. His desire for her was equal. The couple made their home in Flotsam, where her family name held so weight despite her exile. She took a seat on the city council. They had a single child after many years of trying. She was their world and they groomed her to take her place amongst the high society of Flotsam, training her not only in educate but in the ways of politics. Livia would, some day, take her mother’s seat on council and some day she would make her bid for Mayor.

But the plans to see their beautiful daughter rise to power were cut short. During a festival in the courtyard at the opening to the harbor, all the socialists gathered to celebrate the eclipse of the three moons. Her father loathed the idea, not worshiping any of the three gods of magic that the heavenly bodies represented but her mother had talked him into going. They had to make an appearance at least. Livia had fallen ill with a cold and the couple decided to leave her in the care of their maid, Rickly, a dwarven woman with long red braids and breasts so large she could barely reach around them. During the celebration, there had been an attack. A group of Minotaur stormed out from under one of the docks and began to cut down the nobles of Flotsam as if they were simple braids of grass. Livia’s father had fought bravely, cutting down two of the beasts when one got passed him and the massive beasts blade slipped through Livia’s mother’s ribs like it was a hot knife through butter. Her father lost his concentration and he fell to an opponent's blade. About a quarter of the party died before the Minotaur raiding party was killed. Only just considered a young woman, Livia took her mother’s seat on council. That had been 20 years ago.

Today, Livia Green hid away from the heat and the prying eyes of the public in her family home in the middle of Flotsam. It was a tall, narrow stone structure. Lot sizes were small in the old city and her father refused not to have a view of the harbor, despite the distance. The third and fourth floors each had a balcony, but other than that, it was built like a fortress. There were many windows to let light in on all the floors but all were narrow slits placed a foot apart so that not even a child could slip through. The front door was actually two sets of doors. The first was made of heavy oak that swung out onto the street. The second was made of think hardened steel. It was heavy, nearly unbreakable and cost a fortune, for steel was a very valuable metal in the age of wars.

The main floor was where the kitchen, dining room and a few entertaining rooms as well as the tiny living quarters for the servants. On the second floor was her mother’s study and the room her father called “The smoking room”. Though her mother’s study was filled with books and plush furniture, her father’s was filled with trophies from his years of service. Skulls bleached to perfect white bone were displayed with an endless amount of weapons as well as treasure. It all had been awarded to him, despite his lack of interest in them at the time. In his later years, he seemed to appreciate them more, or rather he liked to used them as educational tools to teach his daughter the brutality of the world.

The third floor were Livia’s rooms as well as the guest rooms when she was growing up. When her parents passed, Livia took up residency in to fourth floor. She felt safer up there at night, as if an extra 20 feet would protect her from the world that had taken her family.

It was not uncommon for Livia to receive guests. She wined and dined many diplomats from all over the continent. Any saw her as more of a social pleasure than her counterparts of city council. Her elven manners pleased the aristocrats and her knowledge of warfare and stories of her father’s battles intrigued those with a more military background. So it was of no great surprise when she received a scroll that a family friend would be paying a visit for the next few days. It would be a welcome distraction from what was going on in the city, giving her a reason to remain in her home, away from the dangers that were now roaming the streets more regularly.

Livia had met Dallyn Ironstrike on more than one occasion through her youth. His father and hers had served together and Dallyn had walked in his father’s footsteps, joining the order of the thorn at a young age. He had ascended through the ranks and was now fairly high up in the order.

From in her study, Livia heard a sharp wrap at the door. “Enter.” she said firmly with authority, despite her sweet elven voice.

A gnome entered wearing a green waistcoat and red pants with blue leather boots. “My Lady, Sir Ironstrike has arrived.”

”Thank you Clod.” she answered and rolled the scroll she was holding , sliding back into it’s case.”I will be down in a moment.”

Livia walked over to a large mirror of polished silver and adjusted her long, wavy chestnut hair over her shoulder and brushed out a few wrinkles in her heavily embroidered skirt. Despite being older than Daylln, Livia looked a few years younger than him. Elves aged much slower than their human counterparts. She adjusted the front of her dress so that her cleavage sat nicely in view without hanging out like a common whore. She had the best of both of her parent’s lineages. Livia had her mother’s warm welcoming smile but her father’s cunning green eyes. Her mother’s elven face and hair, slender waist and slender hands and feet, and from her father’s human blood line she had the curved hips and larger round breasts that so many found desirable. Her ears only had a slight point which made many question if she was eleven at all or just an extremely beautiful human.

As she descended the long curved stone staircase, Livia slipped her hands into the sleeves of her dress. Despite the heat outside, the large stone house was almost cool. At the foot of the stairs stood a hooded figure, his back to her as he inspected a suit of dragon armor displayed in an alcove.

“Praise be the Queen, and her will to bring you to my door, weary traveler.” Livia said softly, knowing her guest would hear her greeting.
 
Last edited:
Dallyn studied the dragonscale armor for some time. It was easily the most remarkable decoration in the well-appointed room. From his plush chair, set off from the center of the room but affording a fantastic view of the displayed armor, his eyes washed over every seam and stitch. The armor had been constructed by a master. Of that he had no doubt. He whispered the words to a cantrip and his steel gray eyes shifted from the mundane to the spectrum that would allow him to see magical signatures in a contained area. Dallyn's lips curled in a knowing smirk as the armor's secrets were revealed to him.

The Green mansion had so far been a pleasant interlude for the Knight of the Thorn. He'd been ordered to report to the home of his former friend and commander, but to his delight thus far, the home of old Green had been much that the Skull Knight was not himself. They servants seemed to be courteous and ever-smiling, and the décor left little to be desired. Dallyn had not seen so finely crafted a suit of dragonscale armor in all his days, and he was a Knight of Neraka. Some of the highest ranking Lily Knights, the Dragon Riders, often wore breastplates and scale mail forged of scales donated by their mounts, or beasts they'd slain in combat. None held a candle to the fine set before him then.

“Praise be the Queen, and her will to bring you to my door, weary traveler.” Livia said softly, knowing her guest would hear her greeting.

Her voice was soft, yet somehow held the power of a gong, so forcefully had it stolen his attention from the armor. Dallyn snapped around to meet the lovely newcomer. Draped in the dark cloak and hood of his order, whose cloth had been ensorcelled with wards of protection, his armor and features were obscured for the most part, but she could see the unnatural thickness around his chest and shoulders the hinted at the breastplate beneath. The hilt of a long sword stuck out over one shoulder and she noted a few wands holstered on his belt. This man was prepared for a battle, so it seemed.

"My Lady..." his voice was low and had a scratchy quality that wasn't unpleasant. He might have had a wonderful singing voice, though she would not solve that riddle this day. The Neraken bowed slightly in deference and removed his hood to reveal short-cropped hair of dark brown with streaks of gray, skin tanned from long exposure to the sun (he apparently did not wear the hood up often), and a strong jaw to match his high cheekbones. He was handsome for a knight, and those eyes were as sharp as she might have imagined his sword to be.

"The Queen's blessings upon your house for the years of dedicated service your father provided to the Order. I am at your service." he made a gesture with his right fist over his heart. A salute to the family of a deceased warrior. He knew his manners.

Dallyn studied the woman of mixed race with as much interest as he did the armor, though his eyes seemed to smile this time. Livia carried herself as a proper Lady of the court and she seemed to exude power in her every movement. It was like watching a superior officer and he couldn't help but respect her ability to project such power even in the presence of a veteran knight. She would be a civilian worthy of protection.
 
Last edited:
Livia smiled and extended her hands out towards her guest to take, as was the custom of the ladies of Flotsam, as she descended the last few steps. As she closed the gap, the years that had passed since she had last seen Dallyn became more evident. The last time they had seen each other, Dallyn was a youth, on the cusp of finishing his squirehood and was about to begin his training to receive his vision that would assign his place within the knighthood. He had been handsome and respectful, though she had caught him staring at her when he thought she was not looking. Dallyn had impressed the Green’s during his last visit nearly 15 years ago when he visited with his father.

Dallyn had changed so much from then. He was no longer a bright eyed, eager to please youth. Before her stood a well seasoned warrior. The bright eyes of his youth had changed to cold steel. His jaw was more square and he was nearly a foot taller. His long dark hair that had been pulled back into a braid was long gone, replaced with the salt and pepper of maturity. He was now a man in his early 30’s. To one who didn't know them, he would appear to be 10 years older than Livia, though truth be told, she was the older of the two. Her elven bloodline let her age much slower.

“It is so good to see you again Nightlord Ironstrike. It has been far to long.”
as he took her slender hands in his, Livia took another step forward, closing the distance between them. He was much taller then she remembered as well. He smelt of leather and spell components with a hint of the scent that lingered around dragons. Livia had played hostess to many dark knights over the years, but only those who still saw battle shared the same cologne as Dallyn.

The sound of clanging pots followed by a string of swears in dwarven streamed out of the kitchen at the other end of the main floor. The sudden sound made Livia jump involuntarily. There had been so much tension in the city, the half elf found herself on edge. Only when the Rickly began to screaming profanity at another servant did she realize it was nothing more than servant antics.

Livia blushed slightly at the behavior of her servants. “I believe that means supper will be served shortly.” She said softly as her soft hands slipped from his. “You’re room is on the third floor Nightlord. I’m sure you would like to freshen up after your long trek. Would you like my servant to take your things to your rooms?” she asked, pointing to the pack set against the wall by the door.
 
“It is so good to see you again Nightlord Ironstrike. It has been far to long.” as he took her slender hands in his, Livia took another step forward, closing the distance between them. He was much taller then she remembered as well. He smelt of leather and spell components with a hint of the scent that lingered around dragons. Livia had played hostess to many dark knights over the years, but only those who still saw battle shared the same cologne as Dallyn.

Dallyn accepted her hand gracefully and brought it to his lips for a gentle gesture of respect for the Lady's charms. Livia had grown to become a gorgeous woman. Gone was the gangly young girl who was the ivory shadow of her mother. This young beauty was a sight to behold. Her very presence demanded respect and awe, so much so that he wasn't entirely certain if she had learned to employ a magic of her own kind. His spell to see the spectrum of magical energy had already fizzled away and he had enough respect not to recast it in front of her.

It was possible that her father had taught her how to employ the divine powers he had learned as a Knight of a Skull. Of course the Dark Queen no longer lived to give power to the spells he would have known, but perhaps she could draw similar magic from another deity? Perhaps there was some sorcery at play, or maybe, just maybe, she was simply so beautiful? She did have Elvish blood flowing through her veins after all...

The sounds of a kitchen scuffle drew his attention away. Her face flushed with embarrassment and a bit of a smirk played across his lips. A bit of the young girl he had known had been revealed in the woman before him.

“I believe that means supper will be served shortly.” She said softly as her soft hands slipped from his.

Her hand fell away and he realized that her skin had been so warm to the touch. He imagined briefly how those fingers would feel dancing across his skin.

“You’re room is on the third floor Nightlord. I’m sure you would like to freshen up after your long trek. Would you like my servant to take your things to your rooms?” she asked, pointing to the pack set against the wall by the door.

"Yes, my Lady. I would like to clean some of the road dust off my cloak before getting settled with you. I am happy to carry the pack however." Dallyn turned away and lifted the haversack, wrapping the long strap around his shoulder and the opposite hip so it settled into its usual place.

The haversack contained many of his most favorite treasures. The bag itself was a portable extra-dimensional space which could contain far more that a mundane bag of the same size. It was enchanted to carry thousands of pounds of gear and Dallyn could call forth any of its contents with a thought. Perhaps he'd reveal its secrets to her one day.

"After you..." a bowed in a more exaggerated fashion this time and gestured for Livia to take the lead.
 
Livia waited for him to grab his bags and then began ascending up the straight stairwell to the second floor. Along the right side of the stairwell sunlight sawn in through a set of very narrow windows that reach to the 20 foot tall ceilings. The gray polished marble stairs looked as though they would be slippery but they weren't. As the pair reach the top and turn to the left on the landing of the second floor the brightly colored gnome that answered the door was already polishing the bottom few stairs.

The second floor was split by a long hallway that ran the full length of the house leading to another stairwell that followed the outside wall of the house to the right and a round up to the third floor. Both walls of the hallway were decorated with tapestries depicting fierce battles fought from Dragon back. All five different colored Dragons were depicted, each within their own element. On the other side of the hallway was a huge painting of the dark queen herself. Beautiful beyond words and just as menacing, she sat upon a throne made of bones and wrapped around her we're all five dragons: the blue, the red, the white, the black and the green. The painting, framed with a gold carved frame, must have been nearly 15 feet tall. It did not changed at all from Dallyn’s youth.

To the left for two sets of massive gilded doors, both open to let the sunshine from the windows in the room into the hallway. As they passed the first Dallyn saw a plush sitting room decorated and gold and burgundy velvet and silks. He could see an open doorway leading to the second room. When they reach the second set of doors he could see a room filled with bookcases from floor to ceiling and a huge oak desk, 10 ft deep and 30 feet wide. The high back chair behind it was decorated with carvings of leaves and trees that matched the carvings at the corners of the desk giving the mass of piece of furniture an Elvish feel to it. The doors to the right we're closed tight. If nothing had changed in the home Dallyn knew that that was where her father had kept all of his treasures on display. A cornucopia of War trophies and history of his order.

“I hope your father is well.” Livia said as they passed through the second floor. “He is not graced me with his presence in nearly 6 years now. My parents always talk so highly of him, and he was kind enough to counsel me for short period of time after their deaths when I took my mother's seat on City Council.”
 
Last edited:
The Green's home was more impressive than he had remembered it. The gilded doors were a nice touch, and the overall comforts of the household seemed to be bordering on limitless. This was exactly the sort of place he could see himself settling down to when his time with the Knighthood ended. If he lived to retirement, Dallyn decided then that he would treat himself to a comfortable home one day.

He found himself enjoying the view from behind Green's beautiful daughter as the walked. She had a wonderful figure, with swaying hips and a teasing bodice that was impossible to miss. Truth be told, it had been difficult for the Knight to keep his eyes even with Livia's since they had met. Thank Takhisis for the discipline training the Order required for its recruits.

“I hope your father is well.” Livia said as they passed through the second floor. “He is not graced me with his presence in nearly 6 years now. My parents always talk so highly of him, and he was kind enough to counsel me for short period of time after their deaths when I took my mother's seat on City Council.”

"I have not spoken to father in almost a year. He retired back home and I understand has taken to witling. I think he's more steady with a knife than me even at his old age." he beamed with pride as he looked over a nearby painting.

"How is a life of politics? I imagine it can be pretty tedious."
 
Livia paused in their conversation as she took the 3 steps up to the next landing then turned to the left to continue her climb. Her father would have been retired now too if the Gods had seen fit for him to live so long. The half elf glanced over at Dallyn and gave him a slight smile. “Your father is an honorable man and served the order with all his soul. He deserves all the happiness he desires.”

As they continued, Livia gave a soft sigh, tucking her hands into the sleeves of her dress. “Yes, normally my seat on council comes with many tedious tasks, but I love it all the same. It was what I was raised to do. Though as of late, things have changed.” The pair turned at the next landing. Dallyn could see the sun light from the third floor on the next landing. As they climbed, the air began to get warmer, closer to the temperature outside in the sweltering city.

“As of late, though, I fear things have taken a turn for the worse. There has been a fleet of Minotaur ships outside on and off for nearly a year. I have tried to convince the council that something must be done, that it is only a matter of time before they attack.” Livia gave another sigh showing her frustration. “But Mayor Toebe has dismissed all my attempts to spur the council into action…. And all those I have managed to convince of the threat have…. Gone missing or come to an untimely end.”

The third floor two doors leading to the guest rooms: one on the left with the door closed tight, and one on the right with the door wide open. The walls were decorated with maps from all over the world placed under glass to protect the delicate parchment. One was from the Age of Might and the Age of Dreams. Another, much older, showed another continent to the far east, and the fourth was more blueprints of Dargaard Keep. At the far end of the hall was another stair well that lead to the fourth floor. The pillars on either side of the stairs were covered with carvings. Dallyn would recognize them as wards of protection. There were enough there to keep a small army at bay.

Livia paused in front of the open doors and turned towards Dallyn with a smile on her beautiful face. “These are your rooms. There is fresh water in a basin, a beautiful view of the harbor from the balcony and if there is anything else you desire, please feel free to ask.” As he stepped close to pass her, entering the room, Livia found herself holding her breath. Her heart began to race. For a moment she wondered what it would be like to be wrapped in his strong arms as she had fantasized about in her youth.

The doors lead to a large sitting room with 4 oversized royal blue velvet chair that looked out the french doors that lead to the balcony. To the right were open doors leading to the bedroom where a huge canopy bed stood, draped in black silk.
 
“As of late, though, I fear things have taken a turn for the worse. There has been a fleet of Minotaur ships outside on and off for nearly a year. I have tried to convince the council that something must be done, that it is only a matter of time before they attack.” Livia gave another sigh showing her frustration. “But Mayor Toebe has dismissed all my attempts to spur the council into action…. And all those I have managed to convince of the threat have…. Gone missing or come to an untimely end.”

Dallyn listened intently as she vented her frustrations. His thoughts careened to the harbor and he imagined Kothian vessels coming into port. He saw them breech the port and saw the town aflame. No novice to the ways of the Minotaurs, he had infiltrated their forest kingdom of Ambeon one for his Order, he knew full well the power of the horned menace. Flotsam was not ready to push back an all-out invasion. Toede was not equipped to lead the doomed town to salvation.

Were his superiors aware of such movements? He'd have to prepare a sending later that evening, or perhaps the next day after he corroborated her story.


Livia paused in front of the open doors and turned towards Dallyn with a smile on her beautiful face. “These are your rooms. There is fresh water in a basin, a beautiful view of the harbor from the balcony and if there is anything else you desire, please feel free to ask.” As he stepped close to pass her, entering the room, Livia found herself holding her breath. Her heart began to race. For a moment she wondered what it would be like to be wrapped in his strong arms as she had fantasized about in her youth.

The distraction was welcome indeed. The room seemed to contain all the creature comforts he grew to expect from the Greens. He moved to step inside and nearly brushed her cheek with the tip of his sharp nose. There was no avoiding her scent.

Dallyn inhaled the rich blend of honeysuckle and a hint of rose. It was a fragrance that brought him back to his youth and stirred juvenile emotions of longing he had long ago put aside. The knight froze, held fast in front of her as if he had been the target of a spell. Her eyes big and beautiful, and her chest rose and fell rapidly as if she had become excited or frightened. All it served to do was accent her firm breasts and his eyes could not help but shift downward. He caught himself though and returned them to their rightful place, locked with her own.

A devilish grin broke apart his lips and he continued by her, but not before brushing her hip just barely with a trailing finger. The touch was so fleeting and light that it could have been perceived as accidental. He knew it to be otherwise.

He came to stand several feet from the large canopy bed and thrust his hands to his hips in admiration. Such furnishings were unknown in a barracks or in camp. He'd not seen such an ostentatious display in many years. Dallyn had to admit it would be a romantic setting if he had a willing partner.
 
Livia froze as Dallyn stepped so close. She had not allowed for the large pack he carried with she stopped in the doorway. For a moment, she thought he was going to kiss her. Part of her wanted nothing more, but the logical part of her mind won out. He had little choice for she stood in his way and expected him to enter the lavish guest rooms. He smiled his coy smile and brushed passed her.

For a few moments, Livia found herself unable to move, fearing she would stumble or say something unbecoming of a lady of her stature. The half elf found herself inspecting Dallyn the same way he inspected to room and found she was curious to see more. How much of his broad shoulders and strong arms were his own and how much were the armor he wore?

Finally regaining her composure, Livia smiled and said, “I will take my leave then and see you down in the dining room. It is on the main floor, through the sitting room….. I’m sure you remember.” she added as she turned and headed for the fourth floor.

The wards on either side of the stairwell rippled slightly as she passed. The were powerful, still holding the magic her father had used to create them. Only herself and two remaining servants from the days of her parents could pass without deadly consequences. It had made it impossible to take her occasional lover to her bed, having to settle for one of the guest rooms. Her few short love affairs had been short lived and fleeting. A few had been politically driven and the others fueled by lust, but nothing that lasted long. Once the excitement of their first few nights of passion had passed, she always grew board and ended the relationships before they even really started. Rickly, her loyal house keeper, said it was the elven blood running through her veins that had driven her to end things so quickly. The dwarf said that Livia’s heart longed for her true love, the one she would give her star jewel to. It was a beautiful gold pin with an onyx stone placed in the middle of 13 tiny sapphires, encircled in a star made of another 13 gold points. Though her mother had the brooch made for her and she cherished it greatly, the logical side she inherited from her father always won out. It was a trinket created by a people who had tossed her mother to the side.

Livia assented the stairs to the fourth floor, walking through the sitting room and the bedroom to her dressing chamber. Here sat a huge marble tub and 5 floor to ceiling mirrors set in a half circle so she could examine herself from every angle. Row after row of dresses hung, waiting for her to wear each in turn. Shelves of soft leather shoes and boots. Box after box of jewelry, most inherited from her mother but some of her own, gifts mostly. Livia changed into something more comfortable for entertaining in the evening and made her way back down stairs.

Livia waited in the sitting room for her guest to join her. Her soft cream colored gown flowed softly over her shoulder to the cuffs about her wrists. The fabric gathered below the low cut neckline and billowed out over her hips, giving her comfort and freedom of movement. Her hair was loosely braided over her right shoulder, baring her neck open on the other side. She was looking out one of the small windows when he entered the room. At first she didn’t know he was their, so preoccupied with her fears of who might be lingering in the growing shadows of the evening. When she did notice Dallyn’s presents, it was more a feeling that anything she heard.

With a smile she turned to great her guest. “I am told, dinner is served.” she guested with a gentle hand to the double doors at the back of the room. The smell of roasted meats, cinnamon, ginger and mulled wine greeted them as they entered the large room. The long table had been set at only one end, leaving the other 20 or so chairs empty.
 
Finally regaining her composure, Livia smiled and said, “I will take my leave then and see you down in the dining room. It is on the main floor, through the sitting room….. I’m sure you remember.” she added as she turned and headed for the fourth floor.

"I'm sorry to see you go so soon."
Dallyn had turned to see her away and seemed genuine. His eyes glittered with attraction and she had no doubt she could conquer him if she wanted to.


He was left to his devices in a quiet room that was in pristine condition. Dallyn had no doubt that it could pass the infamous white-glove inspection of his former drill instructor, the late Maggot, Chemosh keep his soul. Lady Green kept her servants busy, it seemed.

Soon his cloak was neatly folded upon his bed and his armor was set against the wall with his pack and the other unwieldy gear. He bathed and shaved, then dressed in a pair of his finest navy pants and a dark gray collared shirt. He wore a navy vest over that and a belt with several hidden component pouches. The only weapon he carried was a wand strapped to his right thigh in a cunningly hidden sheath.

It might have made him feel naked not having a blade on his hip, but it wouldn't be proper to take a blade to dinner. Dallyn might have been a career soldier who spent most of his life in command tents and barracks, but he remembered what it was to play host to Nerakan socialites. The Greens were a family true to their Neraken roots, and despite the salty air, he felt at home in Livia's manor.

When he found her she was staring out a window looking noble in her finery. She had been such a lanky and pale young girl, how had Livia blossomed into such a fine woman? He considered this and more as Dallyn leaned against the doorway and watched her.

With a smile she turned to great her guest. “I am told, dinner is served.” she guested with a gentle hand to the double doors at the back of the room. The smell of roasted meats, cinnamon, ginger and mulled wine greeted them as they entered the large room. The long table had been set at only one end, leaving the other 20 or so chairs empty.

He crossed the threshold and took her hand up and kissed it. She had not exactly offered it for such a gesture, but somehow he felt she wouldn't mind so much. The Dark Knight smiled his devilish smile as he released her and turned on his heel, heading for the meal. His arm was bent and in position for her to take it.

"I trust you'll tell me more about these Minotaur ships and their intentions with your fair town?"
 
Livia slipped her arm around his and found her heart racing. Dallyn smelt of sandalwood soap with a hint of the spell components that hinted to his chosen practice. As her had slipped around his arm, she could feel his strong bisept under his fine linnen shirt. Instead of resting her arm gently in his, keeping her distance, Livia gave in to her cravings to be closer to the dark knight, pulling his strong arm in close to her body as the pair walked into the next room. Dallyn looked down at her for a moment, an expression of suprise, though he didn’t look like her objected.

As he pulled out her chair, Livia gave a soft sigh, to both having to release Dallyn’s arm to take her seat, as well as to his question. “There have been 6 different ships that have come and gone. Sometimes there are two or three anchored just outside the bay. They change every few weeks, trading off with another that takes it’s place. They never enter the harbor to dock or take on supplies, but there have been unconfirmed accounts of the beasts being seen in the streets at night.” Livia paused as a stout dwarven woman with long red braids and huge breasts that threatened to spill out the front of her blouse entered the room with a platter of roast and roasted vegetables.

As the platter was set on the huge dining table, Livia continued. “Though they have to made any aggressive maneuvers as of yet, their presents at the entrance of the harbor has frightened more than a few merchant vessels away from our shores.” The dwarf shook her head as she reached for a large picture of wine and filled both their goblets before placing a few slices of meat on each of their plates then continued with the roasted potatoes, yams, carrots and beets. “I have no doubt that at any moment they will sail into our harbor and attack our city but I can not convince the city council of the threat they pose.” Livia gave a sigh as she leaned forward. Her gentle hand resting on the table as she continued describing her fears and frustrations. It felt good to talk to someone she felt would actually listen, without fear of being judged. “I have been accused of over reaction. Some of the council say that I see threats where there are none because of what happened to my parents…..” even though it had been many years, a tear still threatened to spill from her large green eyes, though Dallyn could not tell if it was from grief or frustration. “And those few I have convinced of the threat the Minotaur’s pose, have gone missing or they have died far to soon. I fear they were assassinated to keep them quiet. “ Livia raised a slender hand quickly, before Dallyn could respond. “I know that it might sound like I am being paranoid but, Dallyn, I truly fear for my life if I continue on the council, but fear for my city if I give up this fight.”
 
Livia slipped her arm around his and found her heart racing. Dallyn smelt of sandalwood soap with a hint of the spell components that hinted to his chosen practice. As her had slipped around his arm, she could feel his strong bisept under his fine linnen shirt. Instead of resting her arm gently in his, keeping her distance, Livia gave in to her cravings to be closer to the dark knight, pulling his strong arm in close to her body as the pair walked into the next room. Dallyn looked down at her for a moment, an expression of suprise, though he didn’t look like her objected.

The feel of her breasts against his arm was enough to draw him fully to her attention. She was truly a beauty to behold, and upon his arm!


As he pulled out her chair, Livia gave a soft sigh, to both having to release Dallyn’s arm to take her seat, as well as to his question. “There have been 6 different ships that have come and gone. Sometimes there are two or three anchored just outside the bay. They change every few weeks, trading off with another that takes it’s place. They never enter the harbor to dock or take on supplies, but there have been unconfirmed accounts of the beasts being seen in the streets at night.” Livia paused as a stout dwarven woman with long red braids and huge breasts that threatened to spill out the front of her blouse entered the room with a platter of roast and roasted vegetables.

He listened intently as she provided more details about the Minotaur's activity. It seemed as if the Kothians were not concerned about the threat their ships posed by lingering near Flotsam Harbor so brazenly. Dallyn had never known a Minotaur to have fear, but they did not usually make their intentions so plain. He might have commented but the chesty Dwarf's arrival ended his thought process abruptly.



“I know that it might sound like I am being paranoid but, Dallyn, I truly fear for my life if I continue on the council, but fear for my city if I give up this fight.”

The story began to take more shape as she went on. There was no lack for intrigue in this story. Obviously there were conflicting interests in the council. Someone on the inside was in league with the Kothians. He was sure of it. For Livia's conspirators to have been assassinated and for the council to turn a blind eye to brazen activity, there were those within who were in league with the Minotaurs. As he looked at her eyes, so wide and fearful...so honest, he wondered if she knew what he did. It would be a tough reality to accept.

His hand found hers upon the table and he gave it a comforting squeeze. It was all he could do for the moment, so it would have to do, but he determined then to hear more of her story and find a place where he fit in. Did she want his protection?

"It sounds to me like you've really got your hands full, Liv... Lady Green." He released her hand then, remembering his manners. She was an enticing morsel, but not his to fondle at will.

"Are you thinking to stick this out and fight the eventual end of this charade, or do you need help packing your things and leaving Flotsam?"
It was an honest question.
 
Livia shook her head. Her chestnut curls bouncing gently over her shoulders and falling over her chest. “I have no intent on giving up my city without a fight. I will make the council see that we need to protect ourselves from this menaces. Someone plans to gain from these beasts of war but they know not what they are getting themselves into…. And I refused to let the people of Flotsom suffer for their arrogance.” Her fist hit the table with a loud thud, catching the dwarf off guard. Rickly jumped with a gasp. She placed her hand on her chest, blushed and headed back to the kitchen.

The lady of the house glanced at the servant then back to her guest. “Someone wants me to run, or hide, leaving them to do as they will, unopposed. Just before the ships darkened our doorstep, I had began to make my bid for the title of mayor. This is all just politics, though someone is playing dirty.” Livia grabbed her fork and stabbed into her meat with a little more aggression that she had intended and began to cut of a mouth sized piece. A sweet smile returned to her face. “I do thank you for your offer to help me leave, but I pray to the remaining Gods that it will not come to that.” She gave him a wink them took a bight of the prepared food.
 
Someone plans to gain from these beasts of war but they know not what they are getting themselves into…. And I refused to let the people of Flotsom suffer for their arrogance.” Her fist hit the table with a loud thud, catching the dwarf off guard. Rickly jumped with a gasp. She placed her hand on her chest, blushed and headed back to the kitchen.

Dallyn took a sip of the mulled wine and studied her for a moment. She had a fiery temper just like her father, and the Thorn Knight was fairly certain Livia had the wiles to get what she wanted from the council if she had support. That's when it dawned on him why he was sent to Flotsam.

The Knighthood stood to benefit from Lady Green's ascension to Mayor, assuming she were able to win. Of course she stood a much better chance of winning with the Knighthood backing her cause. The coin would help turn some of the power her way, surely, but no other council member could also provide the military arm that was the Knights of Neraka. Even if a single Talon came to the support of Lady Green, she'd have more of an army at her disposal than the entire town.

He smiled and enjoyed the flavor of the drink. "This is very good."



The lady of the house glanced at the servant then back to her guest. “Someone wants me to run, or hide, leaving them to do as they will, unopposed. Just before the ships darkened our doorstep, I had began to make my bid for the title of mayor. This is all just politics, though someone is playing dirty.” Livia grabbed her fork and stabbed into her meat with a little more aggression that she had intended and began to cut of a mouth sized piece. A sweet smile returned to her face. “I do thank you for your offer to help me leave, but I pray to the remaining Gods that it will not come to that.” She gave him a wink them took a bight of the prepared food.


"Tell me how I can be of service to you, my Lady. I would see you successful in this noble venture."
 
Livia smiled and placed a gentle hand on the dark knights. “Thank you Sir Ironstrike. I always had faith in the knighthood. My family had been loyal and I knew they would to turn a blind eye in my hour of need.” Realizing how tightly she held on to Dallyn’s hand, she suddenly let go and turned a slight shade of crimson.

“I…” she stuttered uncharacteristically as she regained her composure, then changed the subject when it was regained. “And what has brought you to Flotsom, Sir Ironstrike?” she asked, as he didn’t seem to know her plight.
 
He left his hand there for her grip to test. She was afraid and there was little he could do to assuage that fear. The least he could do was serve as a stress release, in whatever fashion he could manage. His hand would have to suffer the grooves her nails were digging in his index finger.



Realizing how tightly she held on to Dallyn’s hand, she suddenly let go and turned a slight shade of crimson.

“I…” she stuttered uncharacteristically as she regained her composure, then changed the subject when it was regained. “And what has brought you to Flotsom, Sir Ironstrike?” she asked, as he didn’t seem to know her plight.



The smile returned to his handsome face and he leaned back to appraise her for a moment. His hand retreated to his square jaw and remained there as he pondered her question. Was he distracted, or did he not want to answer her question? The answer was revealed after another moment.

"I'm here to assess the situation in Flotsam and determine where the Knighthood could benefit, should we decide to invest resources in this town." he paused to let that sink in while he considered her response. Dallyn realized it might have come across too formal, so he continued before she could say anything.

"I was not briefed on the existence of the Kothian fleet, so I am not certain our intelligence is aware of the situation yet. Of course it is possible they are aware, and simply didn't tell me. Either way, I see opportunity already in our short time together."

Dallyn seemed to notice his food for the first time then. He snatched up a fork and knife and set to cutting off a choice piece of meat to sample. When he was done chewing, he washed it down with some more mulled wine and continued.

"I don't believe that interfering with the Minotaur Empire would be wise, for my Order, but silent support for your cause could be greatly beneficial, if executed properly. We would not want them to annex Flotsam and its position on the Blood Sea. This is a very advantageous port and a strategic hotspot."
 
Livia smiled grew as she thought about the possibilities, her prayers answered. “Thank you Sir Ironstrike! I don’t know how to show you my gratitude.” Hardly able to contain herself, Livia turned her attention to the meal, changing the subject to polight small talk, more fitting to dinner conversation.

Once the meal was done, Livia thanked the staff and suggested they retire to her father’s smoking room on the second floor. As they ascended up the polished marble stairs, Livia, once again, looped her arm around Dallyn’s. “I have a bottle of cognac that I have been saving. Would you do me the honors of sharing a drink with me?” her sweet voice asked her guest.
 
“Thank you Sir Ironstrike! I don’t know how to show you my gratitude.”

"That won't be necessary, Lady Green. But if you are so inclined, I'm sure we can come up with something we'll both enjoy."
He continued to enjoy his meal without pause while leaving his suggestion out there, to see how it was received. His apparent detachment gave him an out should she take offense, but if she appreciated it...


Once the meal was done, Livia thanked the staff and suggested they retire to her father’s smoking room on the second floor. As they ascended up the polished marble stairs, Livia, once again, looped her arm around Dallyn’s. “I have a bottle of cognac that I have been saving. Would you do me the honors of sharing a drink with me?” her sweet voice asked her guest

Dallyn admired the stairs as they climbed their way to the smoking room. He always enjoyed the look of marble. The veins of color that washed through the stone were appealing to his sensibilities. There was no better stone in his opinion. To have the entire staircase formed of marble though. It must have cost a fortune.

With his free hand he reached across his body and pushed a lock of hair aside from her face. "You know what they say about a good drink, don't you. It's always best when you have good company. I'd say I'm doing well in that department so far." A sly grin followed his statement.
 
Livia was used to mens advances and Dallyn’s was no surprise, though she felt more excitement with his than most. Maybe it had been to long since she last took a lover and felt the touch of another on hee body. Maybe it was the possibility that the man she fantasized as a youth now spoke to her the way she had craved when she was still naive. His touch, though gentle and in passing, made her blush like she was still that girl, not the high ranking city official, socialite and free woman she had become.

As the climbed the stairs to the second floor, Livia thought about his words. They could come to an arrangement they both could enjoy when she asked how she could show her gratitude. It would not be the first time she had slept with someone to seal a deal but that usually wasn't very enjoyable on her part. He proposed something different.

The pair reached the second floor and entered the room on the right. Just as Dallyn jad remembered it, the smoking room was filled, the walls covered from baseboards to ceiling with all sorts of trophies of war. Weapons from every nations and race, banners of fallen foes, armor and saddles, and above the fireplace the skull of a silver dragon with a dark lance mounted above. In the center of the room set away from the maze of display cases sat a long, tufted black leather couch with a square back and armrests. “Please: take a look around Sir Ironstrike if it suits you. It is quite the collection but i dear it is lost on many of my guests who do not come from a military background.” the half elf gracefully stepped away from the dark knight and walked silently over to the bar. The sound of the amber liquid being poured reached Dallyn’s ears.
 
He felt a sense of awe when he entered the smoking room for the first time. They'd detached, but that was alright when given the view of Lord Green's trophies. It was a treasure trove more than a lounge, by his estimation. He studied the dark lance in particular as she poured the drinks.

"That is an incredible reproduction of the lance your father carried on his destrier." he said as he stood under the mounted replica, or at least, he assumed it was a replica.

Dallyn had admired Livia's father as a young knight in training. He remembered every detail of the old knight's armor and weapons, down to the skull-shaped spurs.

His eyes roamed over a captured Solamnic standard that was mounted to one of the walls and he thought back to more turbulent times between the two knighthoods. Livia's father's time saw more strained relations between the Nerakens and Solamnics than during Dallyn's career. No doubt the standard was hard won and cost many lives. The wand on his thigh felt a little heavier then.

"This is a very comfortable setting, Lady Green." he sank into the leather couch and crossed one leg over the other. He patted the seat beside him with a hand as he made eyes with the beauty across the room.
 
Livia stepped into the middle of the room, two crystal cognac glasses in her hands, as she looked up at the only two trophies in the room her father truly cared about. “It is no replica Sir Ironstrike. It is the lance my father had the great privilege of welding. The silver was taken down by his talon. They lost 6 men and two of their own mounts…. “ Livia gave a soft sigh and took a sip of her conac as she turned, extending the second glass to her guest. “Father told it with such passion and detail, you’ll have to forgive my shortcomings when it comes to the skull and lance.” she gestured with a graceful hand, “If you asked me about anything else, I’m sure I could spout out facts for days but Father’s passion was what made that story great.”

With the grace of her elven heritage, Livia took a seat next to Dallyn, perching herself on the edge of the sofa. She smiled at the knight as she looked at him with her large green eyes past her long eyelashes. “Let me try again…. There were four blue dragons along with a dozen calvary moving along the Silvanesti Proper when the silver best rushed out of the forest. Before any could react, it had slain two of father’s men. It spouted off it’s lies about letting them all go it they simply turned around but father would have none of it. Father and his mount, Saphirina, dove and attacked from the sky grazed the beast to anger it, then took to the skys again. The silver took chase. It took on all four blues, biting and spewing a cone of cold that brought down one of their mounts along with her rider.” Livia took another sip of the warm liquor then slid back in her seat slightly as she looked up at the skull and continued, “As the fight ensued in the skys, a human with a bow, hidden in the woods like a rat attacked from the ground. He killed two of the knights on horseback before they could get to him and take his life.” Livia leaned back into the couch, lost in her story, “The silver grappled onto one of the blues and was in a tussle with it. The rolled through the skys, falling then fighting for altitude. Father and Saphirina saw their opportunity and drove the dark lance through the beast. As it died, it took down other other blue as well.” Livia was silent for a moment before adding. “It’s name as Sterling.”

Livia glanced over at Dallyn and smiled, “Father told it so much better.”
 
Last edited:
She was eloquent and beautiful as she told her father's story and though the story in itself was exciting, he was more enamored by her beauty than her words. His eyes feasted upon her glow. The lower she sank into the couch, the more his eyes lingered at her bosom, the nape of her neck, or her slender waist. The more he hungered to touch her.

"I'm sure your father would be proud at your attempt, Lady Green. I can say you held be rapt with attention and enthusiasm for what was to come next. Perhaps I can return the favor..."

Dallyn extended his arm to keep the glass from tipping as he leaned toward her. He moved close that his nose and lip brushed over her hair on his way to reach around her and eventually pluck a piece of lint form her opposite shoulder. He left his arm around behind her, around the back of the couch, and then took another sip of his drink.

"Tell me something, beautiful. Have you thought about being with me before? Sexually."
 
Livia let Dallyn rest his arm around behind her without objection. She was no stranger to the art of seduction. Nore was she unfamiliar with having to give a little giving of herself to get what she wanted, though she never made a habit of it. Most people wanted other things more permanent though than just a tussle between the sheets. In this case, Livia looked forward to what might be to come.

Dallyn asked if she had thought about being with him and she smiled and took a slow sip of her drink, letting the silence linger a moment before answering. Dallyn's father had been the same way when it came to asking questions. he never beat around the bush, asking exactly what he wanted to know, forgoing any leading or subtle questions. It was something that served him well in the military but made some socialites uncomfortable. “Getting straight to the point must be a trait that all Ironstrike's posses. It would be rather unlike a lady if me to admit that there has been many a night since we met in our youth that I have thought of you. What would you think of someone of my stature who craved the touch of a man she only met once?” She winked and shifted closer to the dark knight.

“When you visited my home last, you left quite the impression on the household. In Fact you were a bone of contention between my parents.”
Livia swallowed the last of the amber liquid then stood slowly and walked back to the bar, her hips swaying as she went.
 
“Getting straight to the point must be a trait that all Ironstrike's posses. It would be rather unlike a lady if me to admit that there has been many a night since we met in our youth that I have thought of you. What would you think of someone of my stature who craved the touch of a man she only met once?” She winked and shifted closer to the dark knight.

Dallyn laughed before taking another sip of his drink. "I have thought of you as well. Especially on those particularly cold nights at camp. A drop of whiskey and the image of your legs wrapped around me is enough to keep a man warm."


“When you visited my home last, you left quite the impression on the household. In Fact you were a bone of contention between my parents.” Livia swallowed the last of the amber liquid then stood slowly and walked back to the bar, her hips swaying as she went.

"Did I now?" he was truly surprised so his voice raised an octave despite his attempt to control himself.

As he watched her swaying hips he realized she was stirring up a lot of energy and a hunger he wasn't sure he could quench. Would it be so bad to have a woman like her waiting at home? No, even better. With political power in a fledgling town that could become something with the right benefactor. It all just seemed perfect.

"I believe I need a refill as well, Lady." he flashed a grin and wolfish eyes.
 
Livia grabbed the slender bottle from the black wood bar and turned back to her guest, “My mother wanted me brought up as a proper lady from Neraka, with the same traditions I would have experienced there. She wanted to bond our families by betrothing me to you.”

the half elf returned to her seat, her leg touching his as she did. “Father on the other hand wanted me to keep to my mother’s roots.” She held the crystal liquor bottle out to fill Dallyn’s glass. “When a young elven maiden reaches a certain age, they receive a vision in a dream of the person that well be her soul mate. Mine wasn’t very clear though.” Once his glass was half full she started filling her own.

“I had taken ill and had a high fever when my vision came to me. I saw a huge wood door, banded with black steel. The edges and down the centre were covered with stone as well as if it had grown there locking it. There was a sudden bright green light and the stone on the door exploded then disappeared in a cloud of dust. The door burst open and a man stepped through, his hood hiding his face…. Then I woke in a cold sweat. The fever broke and father took me to the finest jeweler to create the starburst brooch.”

Livia gave a sigh and set the bottle on the floor beside her feet and took a long sip from her glass. “Mother wanted him to ignore it all and arrange the marriage anyway, saying it wasn't you that I saw.” she giggled softly at the memory, “Every time you father would visit, they would bicker about it for a few days after. Then you actually accompanied your father and my Mother was livid with him. Like I said: you made quite the impression.”
 
Back
Top