Congratulations to President Obama!

We agree on a lot but there are a few points

You (and plenty of others) think that gun control is not an issue because mental health is an issue. They are both issues, and they both need to be addressed. Just because I'm not on my mental health soapbox, doesn't mean I don't care. Right now I'm on my gun soapbox.

"No more than one bullet per trigger pull"

This is what we have now. this is the definition of semiautomatic, full automatic is being able to hold the trigger and the gun will keep firing. This is a point that the gun lovers keep trying to make, just because a gun looks like a machine gun doesn't make it one, any more then a racing stripe painted on your car will not make it a race car.

"No more than one gun per person, unless you need guns for your job"

This is not a reasonable demand any more than me telling you to get rid of all your shoes but one pair. Some shoes are right for some places while others are meant for others. You wouldn't wear the same shoes to the beach as you would to an evening out would you? You can't expect people to shoot squirrels with the same gun they would kill a deer with or want to keep in the bedside table.

"No concealed carry unless it is part of your job description"

I don't have a gun now but when I did I was traveling through several states and the permit that I had gotten in Alabama was not valid in any other state but I did carry a gun and it saved me once in all those years. If I had followed the law I would have at the very least been robbed.

"mandatory safety and usage lessons with every purchase. Written tests to make sure you retained the information every four years, retake the lessons if you fail the tests."

This would allow the law to harass you to the point that sooner or later they would have your guns.

"All gun owners registered by the police."

Most of the people who hoard guns are doing so thinking that the government is the ones they will need to use them against. If they have you on a list, then you will lose them. I wouldn't have a gun if I had to tell the law that I had it.

"Limited ammo per purchase"

Since a gun is useless without ammo, this is as bad as gun control. The gun lovers will never allow this.

That is what I want. That is what would make me feel safe.

I wish that I could help you feel safe but I don't see this list of things coming true.

thanks for your support LC

I think you're on the right track but I think we should care about peace in the middle east. However to just keep Israel so much stronger than their neighbors that they never have to care about how the Arabs feel about the situation is wrong. That is what made those who flew the planes into the trade center hate us enough to train for two years to give their lives to strike back at us.

We should support Israel enough that they could hold out until we got there to help, but not enough that they enjoy overwhelming power. I think all aid should be based on them upholding the terms of the treaties they have signed. If they want to build illegal settlements that that is their right but not under the protection of our arms.

That list might make you feel safe but it won't make you safe.

Go check and see where the last dozen shooters got their guns. I'll bet none of them were bought legally by them....

Jared Loughner - the Tucson shooter - bought his gun legally, even though his disruptive behavior got him kicked out of junior college.

In the case of Sandy Hook, the shooter got the guns from his Mom. The mom knew his son was mentally unstable, and yet she left guns in the home? If those guns had been overseen by a "well regulated militia", the militia would have recognized the threat and removed the guns from the home until the kid could get certified that he was mentally competent. They could have locked them up down at the shooting range where the mom liked to take his kid, and she and her son could have gone down there anytime to load up and blast away - in a "well regulated" environment.

When the 2nd Amendment was written, it referred to single-shot muskets, and the militias were local. Everyone knew everyone else. If the USA had maintained that model - local militias of maybe 50 people per chapter - it would be much easier to keep track of all these guns. Whether or not a person wants to parse the language of the 2nd Amendment, (lawyers!) the intent remains clear. Guns should be regulated.

Back in the old west they practiced gun control. Everyone checked their guns at the sheriff's office when they entered town. They didn't do this because the sheriff was a Liberal gun-control nut, they did it because they had learned - through experience - that it made the town safer.

The Heller decision has guaranteed the right of individuals to own guns. It and and lower court ruling is forcing Chicago to rescind it's gun ban. Banning guns isn't the issue, "Well regulating" them is. The rights guaranteed in the Constitution are not absolute. We have restrictions on the 1st Amendment that "Protect the general welfare" of society. That's the part we forget. We must balance individual rights against the common good. Considering America's statistics on gun violence, we're doing a pretty poor job of that.

Jared Loughner - the Tucson shooter - bought his gun legally, even though his disruptive behavior got him kicked out of junior college.

In the case of Sandy Hook, the shooter got the guns from his Mom. The mom knew his son was mentally unstable, and yet she left guns in the home? If those guns had been overseen by a "well regulated militia", the militia would have recognized the threat and removed the guns from the home until the kid could get certified that he was mentally competent. They could have locked them up down at the shooting range where the mom liked to take his kid, and she and her son could have gone down there anytime to load up and blast away - in a "well regulated" environment.

When the 2nd Amendment was written, it referred to single-shot muskets, and the militias were local. Everyone knew everyone else. If the USA had maintained that model - local militias of maybe 50 people per chapter - it would be much easier to keep track of all these guns. Whether or not a person wants to parse the language of the 2nd Amendment, (lawyers!) the intent remains clear. Guns should be regulated.

Back in the old west they practiced gun control. Everyone checked their guns at the sheriff's office when they entered town. They didn't do this because the sheriff was a Liberal gun-control nut, they did it because they had learned - through experience - that it made the town safer.

The Heller decision has guaranteed the right of individuals to own guns. It and and lower court ruling is forcing Chicago to rescind it's gun ban. Banning guns isn't the issue, "Well regulating" them is. The rights guaranteed in the Constitution are not absolute. We have restrictions on the 1st Amendment that "Protect the general welfare" of society. That's the part we forget. We must balance individual rights against the common good. Considering America's statistics on gun violence, we're doing a pretty poor job of that.

Those two enboldened words make the NRA and gun nuts nervous. To them, any mention of regulating is akin to out and out banning of ALL guns, of bringing in the neutered ATF - thanks NRA - to storm into homes and take guns from law-abiding citizens, to have citizens unarmed against criminals.

There is nothing that can convince NRA members and gun nuts that it is in the best interest of the general welfare to regulate the manufacturing and distribution of certain military-style guns and ammunition clips/magazines.

living in Florida has taught me a lot

It seems that if government has a power, they will abuse it. People who have trouble paying their chilld support down here have their driver's licence taken away. How in the fuck do they expect that to help make the guy pay child support, it only takes away his ability to hold down a job. But it happens all the time.

In Florida "well regulated" would be an invitation to search and seize. This state is totally corrupt and only getting worst as time goes by.

All of which just adds credibility to the suspicions that the gun nuts hold already.

If you take the gun nuts fears into consideration and realize that the government, the "regulator" in well regulated, is in fact the very people the gun nuts think might be their enemy, you begin to see the problem.

We are stuck with the guns and they are not going away. All we can hope for is that we help those that feel they need to kill somebody because of mental problems.

I don't have the answer but I think we might be worst off in the long run if we disarm the public or 'regulate them to the point that they can't stand up to a corrupt government.

I am so sure that this state's leaders are a bunch of crooks that I would grab a gun and start to fight them tomorrow if a leader would rise up. I am more of a follower than a leader and I know it.

Bottom line is that the people who love their guns and feel that they will someday be defending themselves from the government are never going to go along with any sort law that might give the cops the legal right to take their guns.

Why do you always call people who own guns, gun nuts?

Most aren't but in your eyes they are. Maybe the problem is in your vision of other people. Most people who own guns are law abiding people who hunt or like to target shoot.

Yes, there are gun nuts but they are usually paranoid and on the edge. Sound familiar?

Most aren't but in your eyes they are. Maybe the problem is in your vision of other people. Most people who own guns are law abiding people who hunt or like to target shoot.

Yes, there are gun nuts but they are usually paranoid and on the edge. Sound familiar?

I didn't call people who own guns, gun nuts
I called GUN NUTS as such! Those people that believe their guns are THE most important thing in their lives and will kill to keep them.

As I've stated before, I come from a family that has owned guns, and if I still liked the taste of game animals, I would have a few myself. But, there are some that are out of touch with reality.

One can only hope that you are very pretty

I'm with you, Lovecraft68. And not for nothin', but I thought this site was supposed to be about sex and not about politics. I get aggravated enough reading all the gushing over Odouchebag by all the flaming libs on Facebook. I came here to not think about that for a while, because it was getting to me; it was raising my blood pressure.

That having been said, you are so right, Lovecraft. It would take an entire book to address all the reasons why Americans should be scared, not celebrating. These people who voted for him should be hanging their heads in shame, because they are instrumental in what will probably be the ruination of America as we know it.

Because if you think Obama poses a greater threat to America than Romney, you ain't that smart. These hard times we are going through now were brought on by people like you who thought that if we give the rich the use of their money they will let it flow down to the workers and we will all live happily ever after. They called it the trickle down theory. Instead they took the money and then started to demand we cut spending.

Like I said I hope you are pretty.

I stand corrected

You are right Tex, I shouldn't call them gun nuts. In my defense I belittle myself by calling myself a pothead. I need to learn how to spell better, I was going to use enthusticist but the closest I could come was not close enough for my spell checker.

As you can see from what I have written above. But I agree I shouldn't call them nuts. And to make it worst I just was getting on a woman for seeming dumb.

Damn, tarred with my own brush.

You are right Tex, I shouldn't call them gun nuts. In my defense I belittle myself by calling myself a pothead. I need to learn how to spell better, I was going to use enthusticist but the closest I could come was not close enough for my spell checker.

As you can see from what I have written above. But I agree I shouldn't call them nuts. And to make it worst I just was getting on a woman for seeming dumb.

Damn, tarred with my own brush.

Generalizing seems to be a lot of peoples problem around here lately.

Enthusiasts, I think is the word you want. But then again enthusiasts is also generalizing.

It seems that if government has a power, they will abuse it. People who have trouble paying their chilld support down here have their driver's licence taken away. How in the fuck do they expect that to help make the guy pay child support, it only takes away his ability to hold down a job. But it happens all the time.

In Florida "well regulated" would be an invitation to search and seize. This state is totally corrupt and only getting worst as time goes by.

All of which just adds credibility to the suspicions that the gun nuts hold already.

If you take the gun nuts fears into consideration and realize that the government, the "regulator" in well regulated, is in fact the very people the gun nuts think might be their enemy, you begin to see the problem.

We are stuck with the guns and they are not going away. All we can hope for is that we help those that feel they need to kill somebody because of mental problems.

I don't have the answer but I think we might be worst off in the long run if we disarm the public or 'regulate them to the point that they can't stand up to a corrupt government.

I am so sure that this state's leaders are a bunch of crooks that I would grab a gun and start to fight them tomorrow if a leader would rise up. I am more of a follower than a leader and I know it.

Bottom line is that the people who love their guns and feel that they will someday be defending themselves from the government are never going to go along with any sort law that might give the cops the legal right to take their guns.

The slippery slope argument doesn't hold water. Let's take the 1st Amendment as an example. According to the slippery slope, we would have lost our 1st Amendment rights long ago. In reality, our 1st Amendment rights have been expanding, in the sense that sex in the media is less restricted. I'm not a fan of putting restrictions on the 1st Amendment, but I do understand the need to make it illegal to yell "fire" in a crowded theater. The funny thing about restricting the 1st Amendment is, the same people (read "conservatives") who are in favor of censorship are also adamant about the 2nd Amendment having no restrictions.

This is also a specious argument. No one's talking about disarming the public. (Or at least no one who should be taken seriously.) And if the public wants to "stand up" to a corrupt government, it's going to take more than bullets to do that. I wish we could just remove "disarm the public" from the conversation, and label anyone who is paranoid about a total ban on guns a total whack job, or "gun nut" as previously mentioned. (No offense intended. :) )

There are more important things to worry about, like next time I'm out in public, and a woman with a cleavage-bearing top walks by, will she notice me staring? Would it help if I closed my mouth?

The slippery slope argument doesn't hold water. Let's take the 1st Amendment as an example. According to the slippery slope, we would have lost our 1st Amendment rights long ago. In reality, our 1st Amendment rights have been expanding, in the sense that sex in the media is less restricted. I'm not a fan of putting restrictions on the 1st Amendment, but I do understand the need to make it illegal to yell "fire" in a crowded theater. The funny thing about restricting the 1st Amendment is, the same people (read "conservatives") who are in favor of censorship are also adamant about the 2nd Amendment having no restrictions.

This is also a specious argument. No one's talking about disarming the public. (Or at least no one who should be taken seriously.) And if the public wants to "stand up" to a corrupt government, it's going to take more than bullets to do that. I wish we could just remove "disarm the public" from the conversation, and label anyone who is paranoid about a total ban on guns a total whack job, or "gun nut" as previously mentioned. (No offense intended. :) )

There are more important things to worry about, like next time I'm out in public, and a woman with a cleavage-bearing top walks by, will she notice me staring? Would it help if I closed my mouth?

Closing your mouth would help and for pete's sake don't lick you lips and drool again. :eek:

No offence taken

I wonder if the relaxed attitude toward sex is the result of the church losing its power rather than the fact that we as a people respect the first amendment.

There used to be some people in Waco who would have had a different opinion on whether the government might come for your guns.

Hey that's just me. Dee Zire I hope you and Tex had a nice new year's eve and that you both enjoy a happy new year.

Good night guys

(snip) This is also a specious argument. No one's talking about disarming the public. (Or at least no one who should be taken seriously.) And if the public wants to "stand up" to a corrupt government, it's going to take more than bullets to do that. I wish we could just remove "disarm the public" from the conversation, and label anyone who is paranoid about a total ban on guns a total whack job, or "gun nut" as previously mentioned. (No offense intended. :) ) (snip)

DeeZire you are correct as far as you go, but there have been cases in free societies where exactly that has happened.

I don't remember the dates, but here ia what happened in a free society. In Australia they passed a law requiring all gun owners to register every one of their fire arms. The vast majority of the law abiding citizens registered their fire arms.

Several years pass the a new law is passed outlawing the private ownership of personal fire arms. The police went from door to door confiscating all registered fire arms. According to their records they confiscated all, but less than eight of the registered guns.

Now DeeZire we have all the law abiding citizens disarmed and I wonder how many of the criminals who had guns registered them and had them confiscated?

In the Federalist Papers it was James Madison (I believe) who commented if we had a standing army and they tried to over throw the government the one million citizens who owned fire arms would rise up and beat then down.

Much of this thread in is concerned with the horrific murder if innocent children in CT. and the general focus is on assault style weapons. All this while the vast majority of homicides in the U.S. are committed using hand guns.

Here is a link, click on the 1st graph and note more homicides are committed using knives than with any type of long guns. Scroll a little further down and look at the pie chart and find out where the bad guy get the majority of criminals get their guns. Do you really think any of the criminals will abide by any gun control laws?

If you ask if I have an answer to stopping gun violence in America I don't nor do I believe any other poster on this thread. Assume we ban all private gun ownership in the U.S, would that stop the violence? Perhaps the some of the gun violence, but doubtful it would stop all violence and criminal violence.

I study was done by a major university a few years ago on criminal activity in the northern U.S,. vs. the southern adjacent parts of Canada where there is a very strict anti gun law. The study authors were surprised to find there was very little difference between the criminal violence in Canada and the U.S.

DeeZire I am not picking on you specifically but you comment "No one's talking about disarming the public." is pretty much refuted by what happened in Australia. I have several t hounds of dollars worth of guns in my home all safely locked way. Should the government decide to confiscate them would I be reimbursed or would my possessions simply be taken from me with no recourse?

So now a question for you. Do you totally trust your government to always do what is the best for you?

respectfully

Mike

Gun control is the proposition that its a good thing to showup for a gunfight unarmed.

Or, it's a good idea not to have the gun fight in the first place.

That would be the best, but confrontations are not always avoidable. If you see and hear a prowler prying open your window, 911 would almost certainly take too long responding, at least compared to your own firearm. :eek:

I'm sitting here and just watched an advertisement for what has to be the 6th remake of Texas Chainsaw. this time in 3d:rolleyes:

The trailer shows a girl hanging by chains by her arms.

Leather face is behind her and has the chainsaw on her shoulder so he is going to cut her arm off.

My nephew (16) is here for a few days and three of his friends are over. They were laughing at the trailer.

They laugh at Saw when all the people get their limbs sawed off and die by being tortured to death.

I took my oldest daughter to see "The last house on the fleft" remake

The opening rape scene is graphic and brutal(including showing sodomy) that I decided I didn't need to see the rest of the movie.

As I left the entire front row made up of older teenagers were laughing and egging on the rapists.

If nothing else I'll never not own a gun because the scariest people in this world right now are these kids who have been given everything they've wanted in their lives, never disciplined by their weak ass parents who listen to Dr Phil all day, who have never been punished, who have never been taught to do anything but what they want and who have a sense of entitlement only rivaled by their absolute lack of knowing right from wrong

Oh., wait the parents have addressed these issues, they had their dr put them on something.

Adam Lanza is not as much of a fluke as we want to think he is. He's the poster boy for the most dangerous and sick generation this world will ever see.

You know something? Take the fucking guns

all you whiny whimpy gutless bleeding heart finger waving little sissies (yeah you Pilot the only "military man I've ever seen that is as anti-gun as an old woman, which just proves you were never in the military you lying fraud. )

Go ahead and take them because I CANNOT WAIT for the shootings to continue. I cannot wait for this shit to continue because I cannot wait to see what you idiots try to blame next,

Try blaming this amoral, irresponsible, spoiled rotted sickening society. Parents so fucking lazy the NFL has to launch a play 60 campaign so kids will get out and play because their facebook addicted over medicated parents won;t make them put the twinkies and video games down and get out and socialize.

And discipline? Please. Last month I was in Wal mart and saw a six year old hall off and slap his mother. Her response was to say "now , we know we don;t do that." now this is in public what does he do at home? But if she was to whack him, they would call dcyf.

But its just the guns.

Another excuse to look away from the real issue.

Responsibility no longer exists in this country. Its always someone else's fault. and some one else always has to fix it.

This society needs to own its shit.

and leave mine the hell alone while their at it.

Oh, another cool thing about "kids these days?" google "Adam Lanza haircut" its all the rage.

What kind of parents raise a kid who would think that would be "cool"? to celebrate that animal.

If my nephew did it, his mother would shave him bald and stand him on a corner with an "I'm a piece of shit" sign in his hands, but no, can;t do that "little billy might get his feeling hurt.

You reap what you sow and this country is getting everything it deserves.

... In Australia they passed a law requiring all gun owners to register every one of their fire arms. The vast majority of the law abiding citizens registered their fire arms.

Several years pass the a new law is passed outlawing the private ownership of personal fire arms. The police went from door to door confiscating all registered fire arms. According to their records they confiscated all, but less than eight of the registered guns.

The information I saw said that they outlawed and confiscated certain assault style weapons and pump actions rifles - not all guns. Am I wrong?

Now DeeZire we have all the law abiding citizens disarmed and I wonder how many of the criminals who had guns registered them and had them confiscated?

No one is talking about disarming all law abiding citizens except you, my friend. :) But you make a valid point. According to the ATF, in this country, 40% of gun show sales are completed without a background check, which enables criminals to get all the guns they can afford.

In the Federalist Papers it was James Madison (I believe) who commented if we had a standing army and they tried to over throw the government the one million citizens who owned fire arms would rise up and beat then down.

Here's an article explaining the 2nd Amendment's reference to a militia. In a nutshell, it uses historical documents to illustrate the point that the government needed access to a militia to protect itself from a foreign invasion or a domestic revolt. There is no mention of the militia in the role of protecting the citizens from a government run amuck. (They omitted the Madison quote you mentioned. They should have included it, to show that issues like this cannot be defined by a single point of view.)

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...ment-right-wingers-are-totally-ignorant-about

Much of this thread in is concerned with the horrific murder if innocent children in CT. and the general focus is on assault style weapons. All this while the vast majority of homicides in the U.S. are committed using hand guns.

Here is a link, click on the 1st graph and note more homicides are committed using knives than with any type of long guns. Scroll a little further down and look at the pie chart and find out where the bad guy get the majority of criminals get their guns. Do you really think any of the criminals will abide by any gun control laws?

If you ask if I have an answer to stopping gun violence in America I don't nor do I believe any other poster on this thread. Assume we ban all private gun ownership in the U.S, would that stop the violence? Perhaps the some of the gun violence, but doubtful it would stop all violence and criminal violence.

I study was done by a major university a few years ago on criminal activity in the northern U.S,. vs. the southern adjacent parts of Canada where there is a very strict anti gun law. The study authors were surprised to find there was very little difference between the criminal violence in Canada and the U.S.

DeeZire I am not picking on you specifically but you comment "No one's talking about disarming the public." is pretty much refuted by what happened in Australia. I have several t hounds of dollars worth of guns in my home all safely locked way. Should the government decide to confiscate them would I be reimbursed or would my possessions simply be taken from me with no recourse?

So now a question for you. Do you totally trust your government to always do what is the best for you?

respectfully

Mike

I do trust the government to always(?) do what is best not me, if "me" includes the common good. Our individual rights are granted in the context of "promoting the general welfare." If that means some of my rights are restricted so that other people's rights are not trampled, that's fine with me.

Looking at our history, our government has been doing a pretty good job of watching out for "me" and everyone else who lives in this country. Our government had the foresight to establish national parks, enact environmental regulations, enforce labor laws, build highways, etc. Without this government intervention, we'd be living in a shithole - no old growth redwoods on the pacific coast, no streams or rivers with potable water, no jobs except for sweatshops that don't pay a living wage (sound familiar?) no interstate highways to drive on (except perhaps toll roads.)

Of course the government is corrupt, and we need to remain vigilant to make sure this corruption doesn't interfere with promoting the general welfare. It took Martin Luther King stirring up shit to get the Feds to eliminate segregation. It took massive protests to end the Vietnam war. Our government is not perfect, but "they say" it's the best in the world.

The idea that the government is evil is ridiculous. The government is made up of men and women, just like you and me. The government is only going to be as evil as we are. Allowing our lives to be ruled by the fear of what the government "might" do someday seems to be a defeatist attitude, but I admit to worrying about what's going to become of this world when the affects of global warming kick in. (I don't worry that hard. I'll be dead by then.) I think the difference here is that I am relying on science, while the gunnies are relying on rumors. This is why we must attempt to verify facts before we go off half-cocked claiming the sky is falling. This also illustrates the power of propaganda. Hitler's government certainly did some horrible things. I'm no historian, but I think Hitler's rein can be traced back to the original spinmeister, George Goebbels (who BTW, taught conservative wordsmith Frank Luntz and the Fox News crew how to manipulate public opinion.) Without this clever use of language to brainwash the public, how else can you explain the horror of that era?

Thanks for the civil discussion. This is exactly what we need these days. In spite of JBJ's humorous post, we need to remember that "well regulating" firearms can't be distilled down to bumper sticker slogans. It's a many-faceted issue that's going to require a many-faceted solution, or at least an attempt at a solution.

Lovecraft - I was hoping to get off this forum and get some work done tonight, but you bring up valid points.

Because this country is now ruled by free market capitalism, the entertainment industry has gone hog wild making money peddling violence. Since their 1st Amendment rights can't be abridged, and they appear to have no conscience, I think the government should slap a huge tax on any violent content, and spend the money on battered women's shelters, health care for victims of violence, and conflict resolution classes in schools. I know, it's just more lame-ass liberal bullshit, but what else are we going to do? Sit here and watch this country swirl down the drain? (Rhetorical question. I really need to get back to work.)

Well said

DeeZire, you put it into words pretty damn well. The government does its job pretty well or we wouldn't have the country that we have.

But as you said it is made up of people and here in Florida we have a man in charge who would gladly stoop to taking the food from children to put money in his pocket.
Rick Scott being able to get elected should scare the shit out of every American but it doesn't. It should be pointed out that just because we are called a democracy does not made us immune to the fringe elements being able to take over the country.

Rick Scott, Scott Walker and that little German paper hanger were all elected.

To be honest with you, our leaders scare me more than the men with guns. But we should be able to sort out the really sick ones from the merely stupid ones if we put our minds to it.

Back