Crafty Litsters show your work!

Compared to my bench (the one inside, not the one in the workshop. I dug the workshop table free yesterday), that one is pretty tidy.
:D

Those dildi look interesting?

Are they candles or functional?
I'd love to hear more about them.

They are carving wax at the moment... They will be functional and for sale and I'm raising funding to get them finished and in production http://probablepossible.com/the-beautiful-project/

(I can't figure out how to use kickstarter without getting kicked off the site!)

My workbench has fallen into total barking chaos and I can't work on it. I can't even find my favorite carving tool.

Cleanup tomorrow. I swear it. :eek:

WTF are you complaining about? I can see benchtop surface there. Hell, my whole garage - in which there is supposedly a workbench, a router table, a table saw and a miter saw stand - is a walk-in junk drawer at the moment. Will be for another month or two as well, since it's also a functioning walk-in freezer.

becasue

Yank asked about giving pain... it made me think of these.
1. homemade whisk
2. a faux fur flogger
3. my first attempt at grommets

Attachments

• whisk-crop.jpg
    whisk-crop.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 31
  • greenflogger.jpg
    greenflogger.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 30
  • trying grommets.jpg
    trying grommets.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 28
They are carving wax at the moment... They will be functional and for sale and I'm raising funding to get them finished and in production http://probablepossible.com/the-beautiful-project/

(I can't figure out how to use kickstarter without getting kicked off the site!)

Interesting!

And very different from today's tendency that either you get a "realistic" or something that looks like an alien would stick it in your bum.

..... There is of course "Bad Dragon", but they do not exactly cater for the "classic and stylish" look.

Alright you crafty people, I'm looking for some opinions.

Etsy has become something of a... well it's a mess and it is no longer bringing in the traffic that it did a few years ago. And with my little business getting more attention with me partnering with the local burly girls, I'm in need of my own online presences.

So what do you all do for websites? Who hosts it? Who built it? Who maintains it? Cost? Time? Effort?

I admit that I've avoided my own website for some time because I've been afraid of the cost and the time for maintenance, but I now have more of both.

And go

So what do you all do for websites? Who hosts it? Who built it? Who maintains it? Cost? Time? Effort?

Not enough data.

Are you talking about a company website ("That's what I am, what you can get and how you can get in touch with me") or an online shop?

For a simple company website we are talking about 20 bucks per year for domain and hosting.

Not enough data.

Are you talking about a company website ("That's what I am, what you can get and how you can get in touch with me") or an online shop?

For a simple company website we are talking about 20 bucks per year for domain and hosting.

Leaning towards the online shop bit.

Leaning towards the online shop bit.

You many want to look into something like Squarespace or Weebly. Weebly is user friendly. I've built a site using Weebly. I know other people that use Squarespace. These sites are usually a monthly fee but they are a hell of a lot easier than building your own using something like Dreamweaver. I've done that and used Weebly. I'm not good enough to build a site from scratch though. I have to at least have a code writer like Dreamweaver.

Good luck!!! :rose::rose:

Maybe Stella will wander in soon. She has some useful experience in this area.

I am going to reach out to her about it. I have a few other questions that I'm sure she'll have some insight into as well. Right now, I'm casting a wide net.

Then you need to add a few zeroes to the end of the number.

That was more what I was thinking, though less what I was hoping.

You many want to look into something like Squarespace or Weebly. Weebly is user friendly. I've built a site using Weebly. I know other people that use Squarespace. These sites are usually a monthly fee but they are a hell of a lot easier than building your own using something like Dreamweaver. I've done that and used Weebly. I'm not good enough to build a site from scratch though. I have to at least have a code writer like Dreamweaver.

Good luck!!! :rose::rose:

Squarespace works with that mobile card reader, yes? I have the Square card reader, though I haven't taken the time to set it up as a POS system all proper like, I just punch in each transaction manually. That might be a good option.

Weebly sounds familure too...though I don't remember if I tried it or if I've just heard of it.

I used to know html, but like any language, if you don't use it you loose it. I'm sure I could pick it up again, just with everything I'm juggling at the moment I haven't made time to learn again.

I need to get back to scheduling out my days hour by hour like I did when I first got serious about selling. I work better under strict guidelines like that.

Squarespace works with that mobile card reader, yes? I have the Square card reader, though I haven't taken the time to set it up as a POS system all proper like, I just punch in each transaction manually. That might be a good option.

Weebly sounds familure too...though I don't remember if I tried it or if I've just heard of it.

I used to know html, but like any language, if you don't use it you loose it. I'm sure I could pick it up again, just with everything I'm juggling at the moment I haven't made time to learn again.

I need to get back to scheduling out my days hour by hour like I did when I first got serious about selling. I work better under strict guidelines like that.

I'm not sure about how either works with a shop. I haven't done that before. I should look into it myself because it would be a lot easier than etsy.

If you knew html at one point I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to pick it back up. The question is would you rather spend time writing code or plugging into a template already made.

Keeping track of you time is always a good idea. However, I'm not always the best about doing that even myself. Good luck.

Alright you crafty people, I'm looking for some opinions.

Etsy has become something of a... well it's a mess and it is no longer bringing in the traffic that it did a few years ago. And with my little business getting more attention with me partnering with the local burly girls, I'm in need of my own online presences.

I admit that I've avoided my own website for some time because I've been afraid of the cost and the time for maintenance, but I now have more of both.

And go

There's Artfire. They don't seem to get as much traffic and they're kind of weak on self-marketing but if you do your own promotions through Facebook and Pinterest it can be worthwhile. At least for now, selling through a business page on Facebook has been working well for many of the bead makers and fiber artists I know. Pinterest doesn't have a policy on selling as of yet, but I know that for some of the bead groups on FB it's come under consideration as a backup plan if selling on FB blows up. I think Pinterest could be a very powerful tool. I need to shoot some good pix and I'll be taking the leap there very soon.

Some blog sites also allow (or are blissfully unaware) selling. Check the T&C closely.

Since I'm posting here anyway, I'm going to take a moment to brag. Short backstory is that the SCA (the medieval reenactment group I play with often) in our area had a War this past weekend. Part of the war points, along with the usual fighting and archery, is an arts & sciences competition. Different categories are chosen each year, and this year one of them was Lampwork Beads. Bingo! Documentation is required, basically like a short term paper on the history of the subject and how I made the replicas. I worked on the styles for nearly a year, and even took on some new styles that I'd shied away from before.

So here's a pic of my project. I'll brag a teeny bit more and mention that the fabric it's resting on is part of a set of placemats I wove years ago. I hand spun the wool yarn, dyed it with onion skins and goldenrod, and wove them on the loom I had at the time. I'd always wanted to do a project like that start to finish. They're about 35 years old. Gah!

10626266_898528673501976_8226759691299852217_o_zpse56qe0jm.jpg

I draw, sew, make leather necklaces/bracelets and candles. I don't really take pictures of them though. I sketched this one when I was bored and watching a documentary on The Jersey Devil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I draw, sew, make leather necklaces/bracelets and candles. I don't really take pictures of them though. I sketched this one when I was bored and watching a documentary on The Jersey Devil.

Nifty! Are you a Jerzy Grrl? Just curious. I've spent many wonderful summers 'down the shore' or canoeing in the Pine Barrens.

Desert Slave - your stuff is just amazing! I love love love glass beads, have a collection. Yours are beautiful! Just lovely, and would fit right in at an 800 AD trading post :) The cloth is awesome as well! It doesn't look a day over 10... :D

Desert Slave - your stuff is just amazing! I love love love glass beads, have a collection. Yours are beautiful! Just lovely, and would fit right in at an 800 AD trading post :) The cloth is awesome as well! It doesn't look a day over 10... :D

OMG thank you soooo much! :nana:

Wanna know a funny thing? I like making these beads, they're a very good technical self-discipline, but OMG I want to make modern beads so bad right now! Hopefully tomorrow. Then again, the last time I tried, I looked at all of my other colors, other 'modern' materials and came up with....bupkus! Go figure!

Are you familiar with dichroic glass? It's my personal crack. :D

OMG thank you soooo much! :nana:

Wanna know a funny thing? I like making these beads, they're a very good technical self-discipline, but OMG I want to make modern beads so bad right now! Hopefully tomorrow. Then again, the last time I tried, I looked at all of my other colors, other 'modern' materials and came up with....bupkus! Go figure!

Are you familiar with dichroic glass? It's my personal crack. :D

Oh yes! I have a beautiful piece, a pendant. I get soooooo many comments on it when I wear it. I quizzed the lady who made it for like 15 minutes on the process and materials :D I'm a fan!

Very nice beads.

Glass is one of the thing I've never dabbled with. But looking at a skilled glass worker, is like watching a combination of artist and magician IMHO.

hi all,

I am a scrimshander and reenactor.. I mostly do custom work on powderhorns for black powder shooters (I know pretty esoteric) but I love doing the work. Here are a couple of pieces I've done in the last few months[/IMG]

Hope you enjoy...

Back