A Hero Among Us (closed)

"I'm doing as much as I can." Gracie said as he mentioned the people in Lowtown that had never tasted real food in their lives. "We can open more food stations for them. They seemed to have gone over well in the areas that we opened them already. Perhaps those two can help with that. Tell us where the greatest need is."

Gracie pushed her half eaten salad away, leaning back in her chair as she watched Mr. Smith place his glass back down on the table. "I could start it all up again. I'm still in excellent shape. There is no one out there that knows this city like I do."
 
He nodded, "Yes their input will be invaluable. They know Lowtown and they know where the greatest need will be."

He rested his hands in his lap, for the onlooker he would look as serene as a monk.

"It is not the physical form that is your problem Gracie. You will have to find a reason to go there once more and these two kids are not a good enough reason for you."

He looked out towards the city, "Perhaps you will find a reason to stop warring with your uncle and become a champion again out there. I suggest you let them go out and follow them, their actions will tell you what you need to know."
 
"I war with my uncle because what he does is wrong." Gracie said, looking across the table at Mr. Smith. "We both know that he's done despicable things. I have the money to make sure that his life is a living hell."
 
He looked at her in silence, then rose from his seat

"If you feel that the path you are following now is the right one and will not lead to your ruination, then follow it."

He pushed the chair back into place and tapped the top of the back rest with his left hand.

"Just remember what Jean-Paul Satre wrote. When the rich wage war..."

He turned and started his way to the door, "It is time for the weapons training, can't have them waiting."
 
Gracie watched as he went, his words staying with her long after he had disappeared. It wasn't a war with her uncle. It was a battle for the souls of all the people in Twin Cities. It was something that she couldn't afford to lose.

Max looked incredibly nervous as Mr. Smith stared down at them, a number of weapons beside him. She glanced at Alex, seeing how comfortable he seemed to be in the situation, but she had never really liked weapons. She had seen how bad they could be first hand and never really wanted to see them again.
 
Alex looked at the martial art weapons, that Mr Smith had introduced, with trepidation. If he had been hurt before by just the bare knuckles and feet of Mr Smith, how much would these hurt?

"Alright you two, what you see here is non-lethal weapons. Of course if used correctly they can kill, but you are not going to use them for that. You are going to pick one that you feel defines you and your style and then you are going to train with all of them."

Mr Smith waved an inviting hand and Alex nudged Max with his elbow, "Go ahead ninja girl, get those throwing stars."
 
"Throwing stars?" Max said, looking at Alex as he encouraged her to pick out something as dangerously sharp as a throwing star. "I don't know about that. Maybe something else besides the throwing stars? What will you pick?"
 
He gave her a grin, almost like he knew she would not want to use the most lethal looking weapon available. He looked at the weapons available and picked up a pair of Escrima sticks. Like Mr Smith had stated, non-lethal weapons, but with the right application and power, the sticks could incapacitate and even kill. Not that he was a killer, he knew that the human body had points vulnerable to attack. He had felt more than one strike in those sensitive areas. He didn't swing the sticks or try to make a cool-looking move, instead he inspected them as he turned to Max, "Wanna share?"
 
"I don't know if I'm good enough for weapons yet." Max said, looking at Alex as he seemed so confident in what he had chosen. "We could share for now. I guess I'll just have to find out what I'm the best at and go from there."
 
He chuckled, "You will be good with things that require speed and dexterity. But here."

He handed her the Escrimas he had picked and picked up the second pair. He turned to face Mr Smith.

"I get the feeling our training will be hands-on."

Mr Smith smiled slightly, "Oh indeed Swampfire, indeed."

And Mr Smith picked up a bo staff and twirled it expertly, striking so fast that the blunt end struck Alex before he could react.
 
Max took a step back as Mr. Smith struck Alex, the sound of the strike making her wince as he did. This was much more brutal than the normal training that they had undergone in the past. In fact, most of that training had just been the two of them in a gym, trying to get stronger to help others.
 
Alex took the blow and even as his left arm grew numb, he lashed out with a short strike towards Mr Smith's middle. Mr Smith caught the stick with his staff and the riposte hit Alex's raised left forearm. Alex was outclassed, that was clear, but he didn't let up and moved close, preventing the use of the staff as he wrapped Mr Smith in a bear hug and lifted him from the floor, twisting his hips to prevent a hit to the groin.

The headbutt was something he didn't expect and he released Mr Smith and staggered backwards, his eyes watering and blood rushing from his nose. Mr Smith turned to face Max, twirling the staff lazily.
 
Max was like a deer in the headlights as she watched Mr. Smith spar with Alex. He had the upper hand in a matter of moments before he turned towards her, spinning his staff lazily. She couldn't really move, glancing towards Alex to see if he were alright from the crack to the face that had been delivered when he had tried to topple Mr. Smith.
 
Alex knew a trap when he saw one, Mr Smith was sure to be aware that the blow to the nose would not incapacitate him. He took a breath, ignoring the blood flowing from his nose, he went in low.

Mr Smith managed to block the attack just in time and turned to face Alex once more. A short series of hits and Alex backed away with three hits to his body. "Feel free to help Max."
 
"Well, you're the one who made him mad." Max said, watching Alex with her wide eyes, unsure of how to step in to help.

"It's that attitude which will get him killed." Gracie said as she stepped up beside the girl and watched the two sparring. "Sometimes you just have to do whatever it is to get the attacker away."

"Go for the vital parts. Knees, elbows, groin, or face. You are more than likely to cause them enough pain to get them to stop attacking." She said as she stepped forward and did just that, striking at Smith's knee with her foot, driving him away from Alex enough that Alex could catch his breath.
 
Alex backed away and sank to one knee. He tested his nose with a probing finger and found nothing broken. He did find that he had trouble breathing though and in a fight which lasted a while, that would cost him. He gave a grim smile. Lesson learned. He rose and took a deep breath, "I do hope that the idea isn't to beat us up and hope we learn that way. We have never handled weapons before."
 
Gracie turned and looked at Alex, tilting her head to one side as he asked her if their goal was the beat the both of them up since they didn't know weapons. "Mr. Smith, how do you think a criminal would treat them? Do you think they would take pity because they didn't know how to defend themselves or use a weapon?"
 
"Oh I am sure he would. As long as they held up their hands and ran away."

Mr Smith gave a small smile, "The way to learn quickly is the hard way. You want to go out there and defend the people. What if the hoodlum draws a knife? Or a gun? Or a cudgel? He will kill you, I merely show you what could be."

Alex rolled his neck, "Well then Mr Smith, since you nearly broke my nose, I will take more lumps."

He moved forward cautiously
 
"He's not the one you need to worry about." Gracie said as she took the staff from Smith and turned to face Alex.

She was an expert with a staff, more comfortable with that weapon than anything else. When Alex approached her, she struck savagely. She would be relentless in teaching him this very valuable lesson about always being prepared against those that might do them harm.
 
Alex wasn't expecting Gracie herself to step into their training. So far she were adamant about allowing and giving, but never taking part. But by the way she handled the staff, he knew that she would hit harder than Smith.

He met her onslaught, using the few tips he had learned to duck and weave, allowing blows to glance instead of hitting. But he also knew she was busy maneuvering him into a final blow. He almost saw it coming. Almost.

He managed to roll his head with the hit, instead of knocking him out, it managed to tear open the skin of his cheek. He grabbed the staff with his left hand and fire erupted from his hand, burning the staff. He launched an attack of his own, a kick to her knee along with a back handed swipe with the stick he held.
 
Gracie had been watching him closely, gauging his motions as he tried his best against the onslaught. She wouldn't go lightly. It was about to be brutal because it was the best way to make them learn that things could be rough but you could never give up.

When Alex grabbed the staff, she planted her feet, keeping her position of power. When he burned the weapon, she released it, letting him take it without hesitation. When he swiped at her and kicked at her knee, she leaned into his body, using his own momentum against him. In an instant, she had him flipped onto the ground the staff back in her hands and pressed tightly against his throat.

"You have a talent with flame. It might be in your best interest to learn how to control it better." Gracie said, her breathing still measured and under control.
 
Alex looked up at Gracie, he dabbed at the blood on his cheek and then grinned at her, "A lesson from The Raven, I'll take that."

He swiped at the stick at his throat, swinging at her legs with his leg, aiming an upwards kick towards her body. At the same time he stabbed upwards with the stick he still held.
 
Gracie jumped backwards at his strike, her momentum ripping the staff from his grip as she took up another fighting stance away from him. She considered him for a long moment, tilting her head to the side. He wasn't a bad fighter, maybe a little hopeless, but he wasn't bad. His partner, however, needed the most work of all.
 
Alex got to his feet, rolling a shoulder to check the range of motion he had and then crouched into a ready position with the one stick he still held. He knew better that to wait for her to attack, he went in, blocking her retaliation strike with his forearm, striking with the stick to find it blocked as expected. His kick missed and within moments he lay on the ground disarmed and with the staff pressed against the base of his skull.

He had enough, he had grown fit yes, but those hard hits took it out of him. Only problem was the pressure from the staff on his head. He couldn't move, so he did the next best thing. He released the methane-rich swamp gas.
 
"Cute trick." Gracie said as he released the methane gas and the room suddenly filled with a terrible smell. "However, I don't give up that easily. Admit your defeat and I'll step away."
 
Back
Top