Critics who never write stories of their own, any thoughts on them ?

Samuelx

Literotica Guru
Those critics who never write stories of their own. Any thoughts on them ?

Not writing doesn't mean you can't recognize strengths and faults in someone else's writing.

That being said, most of the negative commentary around here is pulled straight out of someone's ass, often has nothing to do with the writing at all, and is limited to "ur riting sux."

You don't have to be a troll to recognize one at work, either.

Not writing doesn't mean you can't recognize strengths and faults in someone else's writing.

That being said, most of the negative commentary around here is pulled straight out of someone's ass, often has nothing to do with the writing at all, and is limited to "ur riting sux."

You don't have to be a troll to recognize one at work, either.

This.

There are very competent arts critics who can't draw a straight line or write well themselves. It's just that there are very few of those reading on Literotica compared to those who don't have a real clue.

You don't have to be able to wield a paintbrush to be able to appreciate a good painting.

You don't have to be able to wield a paintbrush to be able to appreciate a good painting.

But being able to appreciate a good painting isn't also an ability to critique paintings competently. That's just another separate talent/ability.

But being able to appreciate a good painting isn't also an ability to critique paintings competently.

I agree. In order to critique a painting competently, you normally need to be a half-decent writer. :)

I also wonder how many of the trolls drop their comments from different accounts than the ones from which they write, or as Anon, in order to protect their own stories while dumping on others. Probably not a huge fraction but...

I also wonder how many of the trolls drop their comments from different accounts than the ones from which they write, or as Anon, in order to protect their own stories while dumping on others. Probably not a huge fraction but...

I've said this before, but when I feel the need to offer constructive criticism, I seldom do it under my name. Call it cowardice, but I've seen some ridiculous reactions from writers and their followers, and I don't want the wrath of whoever being dumped on me for some imagined slight. I simply can't be arsed to deal with it. So I'll use Anon.

Not me. I use multiple alts to hide my best stuff from you.

I'm the reverse, a writer who almost never criticises other people's stories.

I find it very difficult to write constructive criticism. It is a result of my old-style (1940s/50s) education in English Literature. The criticism I was taught was analytical but destructive - we looked for grammar, writng style, techniques, metaphors, sentence construction, rhetorical devices etc.

Once I start on that road, I lose any enjoyment in the story or literary work. My teachers ruined Jane Austen for me.

I will vote, but rarely leave a comment. If I do, it is likely to be short and bland. I won't leave a negative comment, nor criticise the writing.

I try to avoid even analysing my own writing because I start to lose the spontaneity and get bogged down in the small details that don't really matter.

I too, rarely comment on a story. I do vote, but when I finish a story, I'm done. If it was good or bad, I'm done.

Jokers who tell me what to write (and not write) get up my craw a bit .... ah no, it's my story, I'll write what I bloody well want to write. If you don't like it, either write your own or change the channel.

Politely suggested to one commenter who wrote "oh good, you're back on track" after a couple of chapters he didn't like, that it was probably best not to give me too many "rules" of engagement. That just encourages me to break them.

And the bloke who wrote "well, that took a turn for the worst..." ummm, "worst" in whose mind exactly? If he'd written "well, that turned dark..." I wouldn't have bitten, but "worst"? That's a bit of a judgement, isn't it? Sounded like a double standard, to me...

I don't think I've ever commented negatively in a story comment. I don't assume that the author wants a real critique unless they've come to the Story Feedback forum and asked for it.

On critics in general, I don't know much about them, other than the movie critics where a bad review means I'll like the flick.

As for critics here, there are a few, but most comments seem to bt more about the type of story they like rather than on the pros and cons of what the particular story is like.

As for me, I do comment on stories here with this name on occasion, but usually as anon or with my other Lit ID. I can't say I use my alt because this is my alt, my original Lit ID doesn't have any stories posted, but I created this one because I was embarrassed to post a story on my original ID, partly because when I first got it I used to be one of those horrible spelling/typo/grammar Nazi people. Once I wrote a story it occurred to me that I was going to be at the mercy of the same kind of spelling Nazis that I had been.

On critics in general, I don't know much about them, other than the movie critics where a bad review means I'll like the flick.

As for critics here, there are a few, but most comments seem to bt more about the type of story they like rather than on the pros and cons of what the particular story is like.

As for me, I do comment on stories here with this name on occasion, but usually as anon or with my other Lit ID. I can't say I use my alt because this is my alt, my original Lit ID doesn't have any stories posted, but I created this one because I was embarrassed to post a story on my original ID, partly because when I first got it I used to be one of those horrible spelling/typo/grammar Nazi people. Once I wrote a story it occurred to me that I was going to be at the mercy of the same kind of spelling Nazis that I had been.

Did it mean that you were/are now more careful in your own prose?

:)

Don't think I've really encountered any erotica critics... Their not writing any stories, though, doesn't mean much. Roger Ebert didn't direct any movies (or so IMDB tells me), but he was a well-respected film critic.

If you're going to trash something, at least do it with style like this reviewer.

(Quoting from paragraph two of the article linked below:)

In a word, this album is bullshit. Never before has such a refined collection of strident clichƩs been concentrated in one insidious mass. Never before have the lyrics to an album evidenced such narrowcasted pseudo-mindless incoherent drivel. Never before have such disparate and diseased influences been married so haphazardly in a profound vacuum of taste, and never have all of these atrocities been platooned together to be proffered to the public without someone, anyone with any bit of conscience and in a position of power putting a stop to this poisoning of the listening public.

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/f...e-worst-album-in-the-history-of-country-music

I write stories for readers. Therefore, I appreciate a readers's critique.

I am trying out a writer's critique site. You build 'karma' points by critiquing others' works. Once you have enough karma, you post your own for critique. Humbling to say the least. And just when I thought I was improving.

Reader's critiques are much easier to take.

I don't think there should be any requirement for people to be able to write in order to be able to critique. What should be understood is that being a writer will allow you to offer better critiques. And there's a difference between a critique and an opinion. Opinions are personal, critiques are professional. Lit has plenty of opinions, very few professionals.

Ignore or enjoy the former, relish and encourage the latter, and you'll be a better writer for it in the future. :)

As with anything being right is all that matters. As painful as criticism is, when its right it makes a significant difference when writers respect it.

Did it mean that you were/are now more careful in your own prose?

:)

Definitely more careful in my comments about other stories, regardless if I'm anon or not. I try to be careful about mistakes when I submit a story here, but since I self edit there are mistakes that get through.

lol there is at least one whole story that was a mistake.

I don't think there should be any requirement for people to be able to write in order to be able to critique. What should be understood is that being a writer will allow you to offer better critiques. And there's a difference between a critique and an opinion. Opinions are personal, critiques are professional. Lit has plenty of opinions, very few professionals.

Ignore or enjoy the former, relish and encourage the latter, and you'll be a better writer for it in the future. :)

well put.

If you're going to trash something, at least do it with style like this reviewer.

I would call the person who wrote that quote an incompetent review, because while a lot of vitriol was thrown around, precious little was said about WHY the album was so atrocious. What specifically was wrong with the lyrics? I have no way to compare that album with other albums that I like, or that I hate, because I have zero information about it, other than that the review thought it stank.

I believe it was Kenneth Tynan who said, "A critic is somebody who knows the way, but cannot drive the car."

Roger Ebert was a masterful critic, because he tried to identify where the movie succeeded, and where it came up short. If he came into the theater with pre-set biases, he was forthright about them and explained how those biases might have affected his perception of the review process. Most important, he never tried to equate a four-star action picture with a four-star character-driven drama, but compared them only to others of similar genre. When I read his reviews, I knew that he was drawing from a vast amount of experience about film, and he trusted that you had enough experience to make the connections. I didn't always agree with his review, but I always knew where they were coming from.

Back