The Official Author's Hangout 2015 Summer Lovin' Contest Support Thread

I've had mine on the back burner while I worked on other things ( and days when I've been too tired to do anything creative )

One has the setup finished, and the other is outlined.

Still on the back burner for the time being, because I have 21k words in the new Magic of the Wood story to edit, now that I've given it enough time to simmer.

Nice, I might actually be able to meet this one's deadline...

As for how the contest page is set up, I personally think it should exclude the author's name, and have all contest entries' scores invisible to both author and readers for the duration of the contest.

Incredulity Mechanics

"Hey boss, I hope those other writer guys don't run the same bile and anger as they did on the NND thread. There's no way you're putting me in those fucking disco pants again, my balls are still bruised from the last story."

I hear you, Alex, I hear you. We'll have to wait and see. I'd hate the idea of you and Ella having to read up on Incredulity Mechanics. We all know Ella is shite at maths.

"But if we have to boss, can you write me in some labia rings this time? I've got my eye on some, on-line."

Ella, we all know on-line isn't like real life. We'll just have to wait and see.

Coding that would be a nightmare, most likely.

Think about how many places a story is displayed with the score. Every single one of those is going to have to be changed to check for an on/off bit for an ongoing contest. The toplists are already rife with problems, so trying to block the stories from displaying there may not work even if it's attempted :p

Nothing wrong with the idea, but just not likely to happen.

Blocking the name is pretty much irrelevant. Authors are still going to have a million avenues to announce to their fans which stories are theirs. One of the sites where I post forbids authors to announce which contest stories are theirs on pain of expulsion, yet it's common knowledge that word gets around, even though there's only rarely proof enough to have someone kicked out of the contest.

It also eliminates the biggest perk most contest entrants are going to receive, which is increased readership on their existing stories. Entering a contest now is a positive win or lose. Remove the name, and only the top 3 are going to see any benefit at all.

Nice, I might actually be able to meet this one's deadline...

As for how the contest page is set up, I personally think it should exclude the author's name, and have all contest entries' scores invisible to both author and readers for the duration of the contest.

Last edited:
Coding that would be a nightmare, most likely.

Think about how many places a story is displayed with the score. Every single one of those is going to have to be changed to check for an on/off bit for an ongoing contest. The toplists are already rife with problems, so trying to block the stories from displaying there may not work even if it's attempted :p

Nothing wrong with the idea, but just not likely to happen.

Blocking the name is pretty much irrelevant. Authors are still going to have a million avenues to announce to their fans which stories are theirs. One of the sites where I post forbids authors to announce which contest stories are theirs on pain of expulsion, yet it's common knowledge that word gets around, even though there's only rarely proof enough to have someone kicked out of the contest.

It also eliminates the biggest perk most contest entrants are going to receive, which is increased readership on their existing stories. Entering a contest now is a positive win or lose. Remove the name, and only the top 3 are going to see any benefit at all.

It wouldn't be as much of a nightmare if they did it so the stories were posted the way the fawcs were.

Everyone submits under the name "summer loving contest" and the stories are seen on the contest page and the category page, not individual author pages. They will be moved there after the contest is over.

Fact is any changes about either how the stories are shown or how the sweeps work or how they could make them more fair or interesting etc....is a waste of time.

Change is a four letter word here.

Last edited:
This.

Why don't you make a suggestion to Laurel? This is a good one.

DIY.

I'm done giving suggestions to this website.

Poor JBJ, no one is paying him any attention.

Don't quote him, Tx. I was better off seeing this:

This message is hidden because JAMESBJOHNSON is on your ignore list.

Refer that character as "it". Poop-skull is good too. :rolleyes:

On Topic:

As for my story, I cut my heart and deleted a whole part. The word count stands at 15, 000 -- 3,000 lesser.

It's not easy deleting a portion you really liked. But I think it's looking better now.

One story is finished at 2860 words and half ass edited.

The other is a little over 7200 words and near the end.

Got an idea for a third but it's most likely to turn into a novel. :rolleyes:

Took about two hours to go through Blessing of the Wood with Natural Reader last night, but it's worth it. Caught five dropped-letter errors I likely would have missed otherwise.

It may be time to replace my keyboard...

I think I'll probably have my first-pass editing done at some point tomorrow. ( Ant-Man, grocery shopping, and a nap will kill a lot of today ) Once that's done and it's off to my editor, I can get back to the Summer stories.

They are. I only know he bumped them because they were showing up on the forum front page :p

As my sig in the post as Les hints, my Wood story is off for final editing, so I'm back to writing on "Reel to Real" which is the already started Summer story.

What? A title with wordplay/puns? From me? Bet you didn't see that coming! :p

As my sig in the post as Les hints, my Wood story is off for final editing, so I'm back to writing on "Reel to Real" which is the already started Summer story.

What? A title with wordplay/puns? From me? Bet you didn't see that coming! :p

My titles sound plain after that. :D But I do have another fishing story to post so it ain't all bad.

For tradition's sake, I will say I have two half-finished stories that could fit this contest. I hope to finish them! Or one! That would be novel! :)

“Kill your darlings, kill your darlings, even when it breaks your egocentric little scribbler’s heart, kill your darlings.” Stephen King

:heart::heart::heart:

DIY.

I'm done giving suggestions to this website.

Don't quote him, Tx. I was better off seeing this:

Refer that character as "it". Poop-skull is good too. :rolleyes:

On Topic:

As for my story, I cut my heart and deleted a whole part. The word count stands at 15, 000 -- 3,000 lesser.

It's not easy deleting a portion you really liked. But I think it's looking better now.

For tradition's sake, I will say I have two half-finished stories that could fit this contest. I hope to finish them! Or one! That would be novel! :)

You aren't finishing stories but now you want to write a novel? :D

Back