The Official Author's Hangout 2015 Summer Lovin' Contest Support Thread

Congrats to the winners.

I submitted 5 stories I think. On average, I lost around 15 votes for each. (roughly)

For 3 of the non-incest stories the scores went up considerably. They had between 180-400 votes. So those votes swept were obviously 1's. For incest, the score moved only a tiny notch (which makes sense because incest has more votes and sways less).
 
If I was going to make a rule based upon those numbers, I'd limit entries to 15-18k words to put a halt to the upward creep.

Or may do the contest on two levels--short story, with a cutoff wordage number, and novella/novel.
 
I think the solution would be to eliminate vote blocking groups that deliver 8-10 bombs within a half hour of a post they don't like.
 
True, but I figure imposing an overall word count limit would be the more likely outcome, if there were to be a change made.

It's one of the few complaints of bias that can be demonstrated from the actual results of the contests, and one that's growing.

The other demonstrable advantages ( Romance or Sci-Fi&Fantasy for category and HEA stories ) haven't really shown any change over the years.

Or may do the contest on two levels--short story, with a cutoff wordage number, and novella/novel.
 
Strange to be giving LC some support on this when he's in one of his overkill rant modes, but, no, I don't see that he's impugning the honesty of each and every voter and author on the site. He's been very specific on who he's attacking and it doesn't include everyone. It's a specific group he once was part of. Here it specifically was only one of those who placed in the contest. He's attacking a voting group here--which he was once a part of and which Patientlee posted that he benefited from himself at one time (which delivered a two-edged message, including an affirmation that it was going on).

And, in this vein, Laurel's response was a Ostrich-head-in-the-sand comment--completely ignoring the nature of what he's claiming about the contests. And, to the extent that he is right, no, other entrants shouldn't be gracious about the results. They should be pressing for changes in the contest structure. And Laurel should be considering trying to make changes before it gets worse--starting with zeroing out the money awards to lessen the impact of the massive cheating Lit. itself holds is going on in the contests (which is evidenced by the how massive the sweeps are--and that Lit. had to institute sweeps to begin with). The next step might be to separate short stories from novels/novellas in the contests. They aren't the same writing mode, and it's become quite obvious that the longer works will get higher ratings simply from the dropping out of readers who aren't going to stick it out and give the work a 5.

As for myself, I'll just quietly stop entering the contests.

(just saving for posterity sake)
 
(just saving for posterity sake)

Which has been your goal, right?--to knock me off the site. Obviously, this is more important to you than it is to me--possibly so that your claims of top GM author popularity on Lit. (which aren't borne out on either the overall favorite author listing or even the GM hub popular author listing) that you slapped on your page at Amazon might someday become true and you'd actually come anywhere close to my standing on the popular GM authors lists here. And even then I won't care, because I don't specialize in writing insipid romances for the limp-wristed crowd and don't care two hoots if a lot of readers here want to read that. ;)

Let's check The top 250 favorite authors' list. Nope, don't see your name (but there's mine half way down the list). How about the GM most popular hub. Ooo, today you're having a great day of popularity. You're number 6 on the "today" list and number 9 on the seven-day list (not on the thirty-day list, though). That's all heartening until you look to see who is Number 1 on all of those lists. ;). Which just sticks in your craw, doesn't it?)

For anyone who doesn't know, KennyD is a proud member of the "best authors of erotica" Literotica voting block.
 
Congratulations to the winners. In all honesty, any contest story I've read was very good. Everyone did a great job, and should be happy with their work, win or lose. I have not yet read any of the winning stories. They are next on my to read list.
 
Kudos to the three winners and everyone else who took the time to write and enter a story for this contest.

And I hope you're all busy writing now, because the next one starts in two weeks!
 
Murphy's Law always applies.

During an edit of my pending entry I moved some text around. I've lost an important sentence which means I've made two contradictory statements, separated by a thousand words or so. I'll edit AFTER the contest.

I can't edit now without resubmitting. I won't edit during a contest.

In case anyone is still interested, my error in Jeanie the Genie was that Jeanie said:

"A wife in a bottle is invisible to genies."

But later she knows where five bottled genie wives are.

The part I had missed out was that Jeanie the Genie had undergone a partial marriage with the villain Joshua, and that marriage, even incomplete, linked them. She knew what he was doing and had done; he knew what Jeanie was doing and had done.

Therefore she knew that during the thirty years she had been in a bottle, Joshua had put five genie wives in bottles and she knew where they were.

But my posted version omitted the mutual knowledge. Doh!

I have submitted a revised version.
 
My edited story Jeanie the Genie is now posted in place of the original slightly flawed one. Thank you Laurel.

Now the story explains how Jeanie knows where Joshua's wives are.
 
Back
Top