The Official Author's Hangout Winter Holidays 2012 Contest Support Thread

Ouch. I had no problem figuring out how to rate a story, but it's not obvious that rate=vote when it's not posted anywhere. Until that was made clear, I did not know. Thanks for your condescending reply, but my point is that many people may not understand the process. It's hard to vote when you don't know how. I might not be the only person confused about the voting process, since "the average ratio of votes to views is 1.19%."

PennLady, I was fairly certain I sent you a PM but can't see my sent messages so can't check. Thanks for your note.

I had trouble with this when I first visited this site. I spent some time trying to figure out how to vote. It's a misnomer of sorts because the number of ratings (votes) doesn't equate to a win. The highest average rating determines the winner. That provides a more even playing field across categories. Otherwise, the contest would consist of only incest stories (highly read category on Lit).

I'm actually a little intrigued by what he hoped to accomplish with this. Something so easily proven as a bold-faced, self-indulgent lie doesn't make sense even for his twisted reality.

Then he has the balls to re-edit a post Laurel moderated on top of it?

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. That must make him feel so warm and fuzzy that he voted himself a win for a fake story to go along with his fake contest. What a boob or is that Unitit? :D

He is also still posting a link on his garbage posts that has my contest story name on it but it goes to one of his old none contest stories. Ain't he so cool. The only way he can get real readers is misdirection. The post has been report and needs to be report more. It is on every one of his posts.

I'm actually a little intrigued by what he hoped to accomplish with this. Something so easily proven as a bold-faced, self-indulgent lie doesn't make sense even for his twisted reality.

Then he has the balls to re-edit a post Laurel moderated on top of it?

He's just seriously off the rails now. (But then he's not the only regular poster who is). :D

I had trouble with this when I first visited this site. I spent some time trying to figure out how to vote. It's a misnomer of sorts because the number of ratings (votes) doesn't equate to a win. The highest average rating determines the winner. That provides a more even playing field across categories. Otherwise, the contest would consist of only incest stories (highly read category on Lit).

Incest would take most of them, but Loving Wives and even Mature would take a few now and then. I've been in the top 3 by votes with Mature stories over 1000 before.

I've seen Romance break 1000 as well, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Incest would take most of them, but Loving Wives and even Mature would take a few now and then. I've been in the top 3 by votes with Mature stories over 1000 before.

I've seen Romance break 1000 as well, now that I think about it.

Confirmed.

I've had the following non-incest contest results:

Romance(twice) over 1000 votes, one 2nd place, the other ineligible
Loving Wives over 2000 votes, winner
First time over 800 votes (high score but ineligible)

Not as common, admittedly, but it happens.

Anal is another possible contender. I've got a couple of those at 6-800 votes.

From the "Most Votes Recieved Thread"

CATEGORIES THAT HAVE 1000+ VOTE STORIES
ANAL
BDSM
EROTIC COUPLINGS
EXHIBITIONISM
FETISH
FIRST TIME
GAY
GROUP SEX
HOW TO
ILLUSTRATED
INCEST
INTERRACIAL
LESBIAN
LOVING WIVES
MATURE
MIND CONTROL
NON CONSENT
NON HUMAN
ROMANCE
SCI-FI

As for more level playing field don't be ridiculous... the present system favors Romance, Gay and Non-Human category stories to a ridiculous extent...

the garbage is piling up!

stop_racism_bumper_decal.jpg

stand up to the tex’s of our world!

The following is post # 1255 on the a.i.r. contest support thread. Our AHland racist also posted exactly the same thing in posts #1001, 1004, 1008, 1010, 1012, 1015, 1022, 1024, 1026, 1030, 1034, 1044, 1046, 1051, 1055, 1061, 1065, 1068, 1075, 1076, 1078, 1104, 1120, 1123, 1128, 1133, 1140, 1142, 1146, 1152, 1155, 1157, 1162, 1168, 1170, 1172, 1175, 1176, 1179, 1181, 1188, 1191, 1194, 1196, 1198, 1204, 1208, 1211, 1221, 1223, 1231, 1235, 1237, 1244, 1246, 1248 and now 1255. The same post EIGHT times on the first page. FIVE on the next page! SIX on the third page! TWO times on the fourth. THREE on the fifth page. FIVE on the sixth. EIGHT on the seventh page. EIGHTH on the eighth page. FIVE on the ninth page. SIX on the tenth page. Now he’s started on the eleventh. The same post 56 times. He's now up to 269 times posting the same thing OVERALL (unless I’ve missed a few). Mind you this isn't a record for him.

So unfortunately I’m forced to share his disgusting posts on this thread. And of course there are no free rides for enablers. Sorry…

image.php
image.php
image.php

enabling hate in AHland? Why?

Why would our tiger lily threadmistress stand with the stupid people? Simple jealousy? I guess the a.i.r. thread has been making hers look bad...

post #1255 on the A.I.R. Contest Support Thread. Let's all look at our AHland racists posts. We're prepared to expose him for what he is...sad really...

image.php

[size=+1]Please join with me and read my Winter Holiday Contest Story: Christmas Present! [/size]
okay i didn't really write it but it is sooooo good!
fucktard1.jpg

Yes I think that just about covers tex’s qualities…

[SIZE="+3"] WELCOME TO THE FAKE CONTEST THREAD. AND REMEMBER A.I.R. RUNS THE MOST HONEST CONTESTS – THANKS. [/SIZE]
made-up-fucktard2.jpg

But for information and support of the A.I.R. Summer Lovin’ Contest, please go here:

the Authors’ Hangout LITEROTICA/A.I.R. 2012-2015 Themed Contests Support Thread…

Lifetime numbers are not contest numbers, scouries.

A story has to accumulate the votes during the contest period, not over several years.

The current structure favors certain categories, so your solution is to modify it to further narrow the number of favored categories and ( surprise! ) put your preferred category at the top of the heap.

Hardly surprising for someone who just "won" a fake contest with a fake story.

for the attention of all LITEROTICANS:

This message is a copy of a post that will be made publicly. I wonder if either of you will have the courage to publicly respond and explain why you allow this stupidity. PM'd to L&M Nov 30, 2012:

Dear LAUREL and MANU,

image.php
image.php

As I told you three years ago when we last went through this stupidity with the dumb Texan it’s your site and you can do what you want with it. But allowing him to repeatedly post this garbage without any response from you clearly demonstrates the fact that you continually allow your “lackeys” who slavishly spit out the party line to break your own rules.

As I told you quite clearly after the Gaby incident I’m simply not going to be toe the party line and be silenced by one of your racist monkeys. I will continue to QUOTE and repost his stupidities. He will whine and “report” the post (which are his own originally). You and MANU will twist your worry beads and keep repeating the mantra, “we believe in free speech but…”

So do what you like but don’t think you’re fooling anyone.

As I told you then I’ll repeat it now: “you could stop these stupidities from escalating so easily. A simple word. But the fact that you don’t can only indicate that you enjoy all these ridiculous back and forth’s on the board.”

The freddie/dk stuff, the idiotic and endless pilot/lovergirl debate, the stella/everyone else vitriolic, etc., etc. isn’t necessary. And no, a moderator isn’t needed. Just a few simple words is all it would take. It doesn’t even have to be done publicly. A simple PM – “stop the stupidity (and explain exactly what you want stopped) or else.”

And when one of the principals (or one of the grinning bystanders) trots out one of these troublemaking ALTS who only post to stir up the pot simply identify them by tying them to their owners.

For your information here are the times our anti-semite has posted this latest example of his hate speech – perhaps you could explain how his posting of this garbage meets your posting guidelines but the quoting of it doesn’t. Why have you allowed these posts? FYI I’m now officially reporting all of them!

Do either of you have the courage to publicly address why you've allowed this racist free rein?

Our AHland racist has posted exactly the same thing on the A.I.R. Support Thread in posts #1001, 1004, 1008, 1010, 1012, 1015, 1022, 1024, 1026, 1030, 1034, 1044, 1046, 1051, 1055, 1061, 1065, 1068, 1075, 1076, 1078, 1104, 1120, 1123, 1128, 1133, 1140, 1142, 1146, 1152, 1155, 1157, 1162, 1168, 1170, 1172, 1175, 1176, 1179, 1181, 1188, 1191, 1194, 1196, 1198, 1204, 1208, 1211, 1221, 1223, 1231, 1235, 1237, 1244, 1246, 1248,1255, 1256, 1257, and now 1260. The same post 60 times. He's now up to 273 times posting the same thing OVERALL (unless I’ve missed a few).

image.php

racist
fucktard1.jpg

[SIZE="+3"] WELCOME TO THE FAKE CONTEST THREAD. AND REMEMBER A.I.R. RUNS THE MOST HONEST CONTESTS – THANKS.
[/size]

Reality: Themed contest winners by category, excluding How-To and Free Speech, which were category restricted.

Romance 37
Sci-Fi&Fantasy 19
Erotic Couplings 13
Erotic Horror 10
Gay Male 10
Exhibitionist&Voyeur 7
Non-Erotic 8
Lesbian 7
Nonhuman 6
BDSM 5
Incest 4
Mature 4
Group Sex 4
Novels&Novellas 4
Anal 2
Loving Wives 2
First Time 2
Humor&Satire 2
Interracial 2
Mind Control 1
Letters&Transcripts 1
How-To 1
Reviews&Essays 1

Unknown 25 ( Removed from site, impossible to check category )

I remember at least one of the removed stories was Romance, and another was Erotic Horror.

If the contest was simply based upon number of votes, the spread wouldn't be anywhere near as wide.

Unfortunately, none of this bickering makes any sense to people who have Scouries on ignore, as well as people who quote Scouries.

Reality: Themed contest winners by category:

Romance 37
Incest 4

Thanks for those interesting statistics, Dark. I'm not surprised that Romance tops the list, but I'm really surprised than Incest does not have more winners.
I've only followed the scores on the last couple of contests, but it seems clear that Incest is the most read category of all. And this also seems to be the case for non-contest stories.
I don't want to start a(nother) discussion about why this is the case. If we just accept it as fact, then I still wonder why the contest stories in this category do not win more often.
I haven't looked much at scores in Incest, but my impression is that averages are not particularly low (not like LW which seems to be riddled with trolls).
So can anyone (particularly those of you who write Incest for contests and otherwise) answer this question: Are the average scores of Incest contest stories lower than non-contest stories of the same category?
Because I was thinking that maybe you get a wider audience on contest stories, and some of those readers do not like the incest angle thus giving a lower vote. (The same could apply to GM as a matter of fact.)
And please don't say that readers should not read such stories, if they don't like the category. Because if you use the main contest page to access the stories, you are not told which category they are in, only the title and the author. Of course you see the category at the top of the page once you click on the story, but I still think more people stay in there and read. Isn't that one of the reasons people submit stories to contests: that you get more readers and votes etc ?

Reality: Themed contest winners by category, excluding How-To and Free Speech, which were category restricted.

How-To 1
Reviews&Essays 1

Unknown 25 ( Removed from site, impossible to check category )

If the contest was simply based upon number of votes, the spread wouldn't be anywhere near as wide.

I have 3 Ws. Two were from the category restricted contests, Free Speech and How-To. The third was the singleton in Reviews and Essays.

I would like to win a contest with fiction. :D

But my wins were based on a combination of just enough high votes and aggressive sweeps removing the 1 bombs. None of the three could have won if the contests had been weighted towards number of votes.

Thanks for those interesting statistics, Dark. I'm not surprised that Romance tops the list, but I'm really surprised than Incest does not have more winners.
I've only followed the scores on the last couple of contests, but it seems clear that Incest is the most read category of all. And this also seems to be the case for non-contest stories.
I don't want to start a(nother) discussion about why this is the case. If we just accept it as fact, then I still wonder why the contest stories in this category do not win more often.
I haven't looked much at scores in Incest, but my impression is that averages are not particularly low (not like LW which seems to be riddled with trolls).
So can anyone (particularly those of you who write Incest for contests and otherwise) answer this question: Are the average scores of Incest contest stories lower than non-contest stories of the same category?
Because I was thinking that maybe you get a wider audience on contest stories, and some of those readers do not like the incest angle thus giving a lower vote. (The same could apply to GM as a matter of fact.)
And please don't say that readers should not read such stories, if they don't like the category. Because if you use the main contest page to access the stories, you are not told which category they are in, only the title and the author. Of course you see the category at the top of the page once you click on the story, but I still think more people stay in there and read. Isn't that one of the reasons people submit stories to contests: that you get more readers and votes etc ?

I don't think it is a matter of incest scoring lower in a contest than normal but more that other categories score higher during a contest. And in the end, the top score is what wins.

It all has to do with the story. I won a Valentines day contest with a BDSM story. Not what most people would think would win at that time of the year but it had the highest score. It is now my most read story so I think that says it all.

I think incest does better when its left in the incest category.

When its part of a contest, even though its clearly tagged as incest, it draws more trolling.

People "offended" by a category, be it incest or GM or whatever squicks them, will see that story listed and go one bomb it.

Of course there are sweeps, but they don't remove all low votes.

I think Romance does the best because let's face it, who the hell "trolls" romance? Its not an offensive category in anyway, it doesn't deal in any twisted fetishes or practices(for the most part I'm dsure there could be some exceptions)

But in general you're not going to blunder into incest, or water sports or any type of "specialty" so I think that's part of its very high scores.

Well, I think I'll finally finish mine today, but won't submit it until tomorrow night.

I'm so late I shouldn't wait because this things almost over, but I hate a Sunday release.

I'm also at this point only putting it in because at the beginning of this year, my goal was to enter every contest except Earth Day, and I always try to make my goals.

Personally I'm not even happy with this story.:mad:

This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list.

Obviously I'm not (or you just keep peeking) because if I was then you wouldn't have said this:

If you mean me, then yes. As long as lovecraft68 personally attacks me in the sig line of every post he posts, I'll remind him that he doesn't exist for me.

Do let me know when he stops that juvenile, crazy, obsessed-with-me, Scouries-style posting behavior.

Wouldn't know my sig unless you looked idiot. Even if someone quotes me, it does not quote a person's sig.

Once again proving how stupid you truly are. And before you try it? I saw this as quoted by TX Rad, so don;t waste your breath.

Last edited:
This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list. :D

Early in the contest, there's some variance, but by the time the sweeps run, pretty much everything scores around the normal non-contest average. The sweeps are aggressive, and strongly biased toward removing low scores, as evidenced by the rapid rise in the average score with every wave of sweeps.

The contest page is a minor blip on your readership. As with any story, the majority of your votes and views are going to come from the new stories list. The contest page only extends the "trickle period", as I like to call it, before the story drops off the radar. Most readers aren't going to be surprised by the category, because they're coming from the New list, and not the contest page.

Early in the contest, there's some variance, but by the time the sweeps run, pretty much everything scores around the normal non-contest average. The sweeps are aggressive, and strongly biased toward removing low scores, as evidenced by the rapid rise in the average score with every wave of sweeps.

The contest page is a minor blip on your readership. As with any story, the majority of your votes and views are going to come from the new stories list. The contest page only extends the "trickle period", as I like to call it, before the story drops off the radar. Most readers aren't going to be surprised by the category, because they're coming from the New list, and not the contest page.

When you speak of aggressive sweeps, I've always been curious-and I know you don;t know- what constitutes a "legitimate" low score?

They obviously leave some 1's and 2's or everyone would have scores in the 49.'s or outright 5's.

So I wonder how they determine which ones "stick"?

OK, thanks, that's good to know. Maybe that's why the site doesn't bother with category on the contest page. Personally, I don't use the New stories list, I just go directly to the categories I like and use the lists there. Anyone else do the same ? Or do you all use the main New stories list as your primary source for what to read next ?

OK, thanks, that's good to know. Maybe that's why the site doesn't bother with category on the contest page. Personally, I don't use the New stories list, I just go directly to the categories I like and use the lists there. Anyone else do the same ? Or do you all use the main New stories list as your primary source for what to read next ?

I think it's a major failing (not enough to slit my wrists over, though) that the contest page doesn't include the category. I think readers using that page should at least get that much warning about what they are being invited to read.

Back