Conversations with other artists

I suggest to everyone... always carry a sketch book...and draw people..live people..doesn't have to be nekkid people. and draw trees..and flowers... lots.. and LOOK at what you are drawing. and draw some more...AND draw them buildings and hard edge stuff too... draw draw draw.

This.

Well, hello. :) Didn't notice we have a thread like this. It's nice to see artists interacting... though you have to admit the chatter doesn't really last long. Kudos to THROBBS for keeping things... alive? :p

It's kinda intimidating to post here though, because you see some amazing artists who know what they're saying. I've never really had any formal art education (aside from art in school, which never really stayed in my head), so I have little idea of the depth of some conversation when it comes to theory and the old artists. Still, never hurts to say hi to those who share the same love for drawing.

I currently draw digitally, because I have a dislike for wasting paper and other materials (which is why craft never appealed to me). Wish I could go with the whole carry-a-sketchbook-everywhere thing though. Used to do that, but lost the habit. Still, it kinda has its perks (no need to worry about buying sketchbooks and other art supplies?).

Anyway. Hi. :)

P.S. Here's something I've been working on at the moment.
 
Thank you for jumping in!

Digital sketch is also "legit", tho' I suggest it is mostest helpfulest if done, like with paper and pencil/pen while looking at the subject. One needs something portable to do that effectively (beyond studio sketching), luckily technology is getting there.:D

'fraid I am responsible for the demise of quite a few trees.:eek:

MUYHAhAHHAhhAhHAHAhahA!
 
Yessss, very good, technology. Let's just hope the cash catches up to be able to take advantage of that. ;) I'm looking forward to be able to sketch on a tablet anywhere I want at any moment in time!

(Captain Planet is gonna beat you up! (Oh, memories.))
 
Last edited:
Yessss, very good, technology. Let's just hope the cash catches up to be able to take advantage of that. ;) I'm looking forward to be able to sketch on a tablet anywhere I want at any moment in time!

(Captain Planet is gonna beat you up! (Oh, memories.))

More like Smokey the Bear. Captain Planet was after my time.
 

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
:D

They've all gone out (around here).:(
Have to drive at least 45 minutes for a good store.

I'm glad that I could be of service to somebody who is as helpful to others as you are.

You can always go fondle Michael's paper and pencils and order from Merri Artist ;)
 
I'm glad that I could be of service to somebody who is as helpful to others as you are.

You can always go fondle Michael's paper and pencils and order from Merri Artist ;)

thank you.
True about the fondling :), but they just don't have a very extensive selection.:(
 
Well-informed opinions. ;)

perhaps.

That doesn't mean others cannot post their misinformed opinions. ;):rolleyes::D
I'll be happy to shoot them down. MUYAHAHHAhahhhahahahahahaha!


mostly kidding.

I'm not that mean.

am I?
 
Scanners

Well I purchased a large(ish) format scanner. (11x17)
And it doesn't work, and online & phone tech has produced no response.
The problem appears to be mechanical, as the software seems to have worked.

Looks like I will soon be returning it. :mad::(

I'd rather get a working replacement, but a refund will be the next best thing.
 
Assert your right, ye scalawag! Being able to scan in 11x17 sounds like fun! No more cutting/folding the big papers (ouch).
 

Thanks for sharing that!

There is a lot of technical skill there.

but, to me, it seems wasted.

Best I could tell they bring nothing to the world that a photo doesn't and with a lot more effort. I'll watch the videos to see if I missed something.

The sculpture, because of it's scale, might.........

Certainly there is an amazement factor, but not a whole lot of creativity.

Also, I have seen the redhead that claims to be ball point pen, I am VERY skeptical of that one, because I know how ball points lay down ink.
It might be possible, but I'd like to see the scale of it. (as I recall it was not large).
If it. like the others, is genuine... "bravo"

NOW, use your imagination!
 
I wish I could draw like Throbbs.

Or paint.

But I can't. My fine movements with a pencil, pen or brush don't exist and never have. My best achievement was a silver star from a teacher at Infants School for writing a few lines, but I think that star was for 'effort' not quality.

Despite that total lack of ability I wanted to study Art. Eventually my teachers persuaded me that although I had interesting ideas, my technical ability was far below the minimum requirement. So I gave up Art.

Forty plus years on I have started creating artworks again, inspired by Marcel Duchamp. I have now produced three 3D works for our local community Art Gallery, and one incompetent drawing. All four have attracted some interest and have produced laughter. Happily for me, most of the people are laughing with me, not at me.

At my age I no longer worry that I can't draw nor paint. My writing posted on Literotica has been my creative work, but now I am producing 'Art' again. The regulars at the Art Gallery have been encouraging me because a few of the amateur works sent in for exhibition although technically competent are reproductions (of postcards, photographs, other artists' works) instead of originals.

Whatever mine are, they are original.

My latest piece was inspired by Duchamp's Three Standard Stoppages.

attachment.php


Duchamp said that he took three one-metre long pieces of thread, dropped them from one metre, then made templates of the pleasing shapes they made.

I took three 18 inch long pieces of string and 'fitted' them to templates from a geometry set. I didn't drop them from a height.

Later in his life, Duchamp admitted that he didn't drop his three pieces of thread either. He arranged them before making the templates.

When I visited the gallery a couple of days after the exhibition opened, I was pleased to listen to a father explaining to his daughters about my Three Pieces of String, and Duchamp's Three Standard Stoppages. He was doing so well that I didn't admit that it was my work.
 
Last edited:
Bravo Ogg!

A concept a message is key (in my mind anyway) to Art.

It is not *just* masterful technique, as with the photo-realistic works above.
So many "artist" these days are unable to articulate what their message/concept is.

"I was expressing myself" to that, I say "pfffft, that is not 'Art', that is masturbation, and though pleasurable and even important (to you and maybe a loved one) I don't want to see it." :D

That being said, I do not consider what I post on LIT to be "Art", I have always said they are "for giggles", my own form of "masturbation"..and if others enjoy.. then "mutual masturbation".:D My "message" (here) is not intended to be deep or profound, but semi-universal, at least in broad strokes.;)
 
Last edited:
Bravo Ogg!

That being said, I do not consider what I post on LIT to be "Art", I have always said they are "for giggles", my own form of "masturbation"..and if others enjoy.. then "mutual masturbation".:D My "message" (here) is not intended to be deep or profound, but semi-universal, at least in broad strokes.;)

Oh the puns, the puns!! Hah!

I think the same, I draw these for sexy giggles and to give visual momentary pleasure to those interested.

I like this thread by the way, great idea Throbbs~
 
Oh the puns, the puns!! Hah!

I think the same, I draw these for sexy giggles and to give visual momentary pleasure to those interested.

I like this thread by the way, great idea Throbbs~

Thanks, but it wasn't my idea.:)
Candyredlips started it, I just blather on a LOT.
 
I definitely didn't read that as "lather".

*ahem*

I do get a bit frothed up. If I lisped I could be a frotheded flake. A sweet cereal killer? Though I've never killed anyone, I have decimated more than a couple bowls of sugary goodness.

ok...cumming clean, I do lather a lot.:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
I do get a bit frothed up. If I lisped I could be a frotheded flake. A sweet cereal killer? Though I've never killed anyone, I have decimated more than a couple bowls of sugary goodness.

ok...cumming clean, I do lather a lot.:rolleyes:

That image would be really cool to paint in oils.

No pun intended, sorry.

But blathering and lathering, now, there have been lots of giggles, pun-wise, over here. Thanks!
 
Ok.
I am *hoping* that my new scanner issue will be resolved soon.

The large(ish) format scanner that I purchased was non-functional when it arrived, had to make calls and e-mails and pack it up, send it off. It was just delivered yesterday, so....maybe.... I'll hear on Monday? hahahahahahha
 
Back
Top