Is this SF or something else?

jehoram

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Posts
4,444
I'm writing a story about a guy of a future Earth where, due to a plague of unknown origin, there are only two thousand fertile men on the planet. These men become pretty much government property, and their sex lives are strictly controlled. One of these men, the narrator of the story, describes how his sperm is harvested three times a day by various willing helpers.

My question is: does this fit into the Science Fiction/Fantasy category? Or should I put it under Erotic Couplings? As far as I can glean from the stories posted in the first category, it wouldn't be a good fit there, since most of them involve strong fantasy elements, alien worlds, and other tropes of the genre. Another thing: the category seems to lean heavily on multi-part stories, whereas this one is a stand-alone.

My story, on the other hand, describes a future where only one detail is changed in a semi-plausible way, and goes into how sexual mores might change as a result of that.

I'm not really interested in how the story scores, but I do want to put it where interested readers can find it.
 
You're creating an alternate world. Sci-Fi&Fantasy is the readership who will most appreciate it.

Multi-chapter epics are the standard, but a one-shot will do just fine there as well.

Your readership will be about equal to Erotic Couplings, but your score will probably be higher in Sci-Fi&Fantasy.

I just posted an Ancient Egyptian history story with zero Sci-Fi or fantasy elements, and it did just fine.
 
Last edited:
I’m with a Reject Reality. It gets my nod for SF.

Erotic Couplings, for me, are a couple, boy and girl (gay has its own space). You are postulating an alternative world, which leans more towards SF.
 
Sci-fi& Fantasy. It's an alternate future, dystopia story, so that's an appropriate fit. One-offs still get good views in the category, so I wouldn't worry about that.
 
Sci-Fi. No Question. If you want a bunch of examples of stand-alone stories in the category, check out the Geek Pride Day stories from earlier this year. While there were one or two that obviously had follow-ups planned, most of them were self-contained.

And definitely checkout Taking Lots of Falls by Limentina. It's a story about a woman who grew up in orbit without gravity and has to move back to earth. Most of the story takes place on Earth pretty much exactly as we know it today. But it is such a great Sci-Fi story because the setting so relentlessly normal.

I think you'll find a much more appreciative audience in Sci-Fi than your will in Erotic Couplings.
 
Sci-fi& Fantasy. It's an alternate future, dystopia story, so that's an appropriate fit.
Quite. I can post a 3-years-on story elsewhere (as I did recently in Incest) or a slight mention of a "witchy woman" (ditto) but beyond those bounds lies SF&F. Or Novels if it's really long.
 
Wouldn't be erotic to me!

To me, the story as Jehoram outlined it reminds me of the classic flick "Cafe Flesh." I have to wonder how his story works out. Definitely SciFi. Being the romantic that I am (my wife would laugh), I see a lot of options from the setup.
 
Last edited:
Sci-fi to me is often about exploring core themes about the human condition just in a sci-fi setting. So it fits perfect since it sounds like you’re exploring themes like personal freedom vs the good of society, and sexual mores etc.
 
Sci-fi to me is often about exploring core themes about the human condition just in a sci-fi setting. So it fits perfect since it sounds like you’re exploring themes like personal freedom vs the good of society, and sexual mores etc.

Impressive logic. Quite so.
 
Impressive logic. Quite so.
And that "Sci-Fi setting" parameter is quite flexible.

I'd class MindControl as SF. Anything future or off-Earth is SF. Time travel and anachronistic or alt.history are SF. Anything after the Trump War is SF. Homo Superior; contemporary talking Neanderthals or Homo Habilis; paranormals and mutants; outer- or inner-space aliens; Mad Scientists -- all SF. Atlantis, Lemuria, and other lost continents are SF as long as they lack typical fantasy creatures.

Such elements are safe tools to explore current social factors and dysfunctions. Alas, they can go astray. Miller's The Crucible cast the Salem trials as metaphor for the McCarthy atrocities but now allow Witch Hunt to be called when actual crimes are investigated. Woops, I'm going political. I need another metaphor.
 
Last edited:
Sci-fi& Fantasy. It's an alternate future, dystopia story

Well, the main character is getting laid, three times a day by enthusiastic and usually well-trained sex partners. I doubt that he would call that "dystopian."

But it looks like the consensus is SF, so SF is where it will go.
 
Well, the main character is getting laid, three times a day by enthusiastic and usually well-trained sex partners. I doubt that he would call that "dystopian."

But it looks like the consensus is SF, so SF is where it will go.
Sperm harvesting, day in day out, endlessly? The guy's going to get sore, and begin to ponder the point of his meaningless existence, surely? Might as well be a chicken or a milking cow. Although they get to go outside, from time to time, if they're lucky enough to be free range :).
 
I’m with the sci fi crowd.

Putting it in that category primes the reader with a predisposition that things are going to be a bit tilted, so they’ll already read it with fresh eyes and maybe even read more into your words than you mean, fun...and if they’re having a ton of sex toss in a Darth Vader strapon or something and you’re gold.

Besides, Tanuki makes an excellent point...Gattica, for example.
 
Well, the main character is getting laid, three times a day by enthusiastic and usually well-trained sex partners. I doubt that he would call that "dystopian."

But it looks like the consensus is SF, so SF is where it will go.

Why wouldn't that be dystopian? Brave New World had orgies and it was still dystopian.

It's not hard to imagine the banality of sex, or becoming frustrated at being a mere resource.
 
Why wouldn't that be dystopian? Brave New World had orgies and it was still dystopian.

It's not hard to imagine the banality of sex, or becoming frustrated at being a mere resource.

Excellent question. Superior, perhaps.
 
I’ve been on break too long. Took me a minute to figure out this was not about San Francisco.
 
My latest Sci-fi has 7 parts, each part has over 300 votes...so far, its only been up for a little over a week and it doesn't even have any sex in it. :eek:
 
Back
Top