How to handle a scene out of chronological order

8letters

Writing
I'm working on a story told from the point of view of Christopher. The other main characters are his sister Michelle and her ex boyfriend Jared. Jared is in the hospital. Christopher visits him and when Christopher gets back, he shows Michelle a video of Jared apologizing to her. I want the next scene to be Christopher's visit to the hospital, which would mean that scene would be out of chronological order. In my first draft, I wrote the scene as if it was in chronological order. When I started editing it, it struck me as wrong; that I needed to do something different because it was confusing as is. I moved the scene into chronological order and moved on. However, I'm not satisfy with that.

So I originally had:
Several minutes later, Michelle came back. “I said to Jared, ‘I watched the video until you said the end. If you want me to think fondly of you, learn from us.’” Michelle gave me a big hug. “Thanks again, Chris.”

Then she left.

As I drove to the hospital, I realized my plan had two flaws. The first flaw was that Jared would be able to say that his video confession was made under duress and what he said in it wasn’t true. And it was good defense as I’d confess to most anything if it kept me out of jail.

Would something like this work?
Several minutes later, Michelle came back. “I said to Jared, ‘I watched the video until you said the end. If you want me to think fondly of you, learn from us.’” Michelle gave me a big hug. “Thanks again, Chris.”

Then she left.

It hadn't been easy to get Jared to make that video...

As I drove to the hospital, I realized my plan had two flaws. The first flaw was that Jared would be able to say that his video confession was made under duress and what he said in it wasn’t true. And it was good defense as I’d confess to most anything if it kept me out of jail.

Change the tense to past perfect? NOte: I suck at writing in past perfect.

Then she left.

As I had driven to the hospital, I had realized my plan had two flaws. The first flaw had been that Jared would be able to say that his video confession was made under duress and what he said in it wasn’t true. And it was good defense as I’d confess to most anything if it kept me out of jail.

Edit: Reword for hopefully better clarity

Last edited:
I'm a little confused without much context but...

I always try a little trigger before jumping out of sequence...

As he laid in his hospital bed he remembered...

I like the second version. In the first, it isn't immediately clear that it is a flashback sequence and is a bit confusing. The third version is cumbersome and awkwardly worded.

You might want to use Christopher's reaction to Michelle as a launching point for the flashback, something like:

Then she left.

I was both happy and relieved. It hadn't been easy to get Jared to make that video. As I was driving to the hospital that morning, I realized my plan had two flaws.

I'm having trouble seeing any major difference between your three examples.

I'm assuming this whole thing is narrated first person from Christopher.

So what exactly is the sequence here? Christopher gives Michelle the video, then we jump back to him going to the hospital and recording it, and when we come back to the present it's after Michelle has watched it? (I.e. the audience learns the contents of the video while Michelle does, but from the original point of view of Christopher.)

This bit:

Then she left.
is confusing because I don't have the greater context. How did she say anything to Jared after watching the video if the point of the video is she can't see him because he's in the hospital?

Another option, if it'll fit within the story, is to introduce a character who has no idea what's been going on and has to have the background explained.

Cynthia burst through the door.

"Oh my god, what's been going on?" she screamed.

"Well, it's like this" I explained. "It all started yesterday morning. I'd just put the turkey in the oven when Fred walked in stark naked..."​

I always try a little trigger before jumping out of sequence...

As he laid in his hospital bed he remembered...

This.

I don't follow the time sequence change in the examples you give, but throwing in one word, "As I drove to the hospital earlier . . . ," would seem to take care of it in this instance.

What if you leave off the entire first part and only explain what happened to her? Or only vaguely describe that you visited the hospital and then give full explanation to her with some thought about what you aren't telling her.

What if you leave off the entire first part and only explain what happened to her? Or only vaguely describe that you visited the hospital and then give full explanation to her with some thought about what you aren't telling her.

Well, because the OP asked how to structure it the way the OP wants to write it. It can be done, so there's every reason to let the OP have his own voice and style.

Back