Confessions: What Are Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ICT a few videos of a certain Lit guy left me shocked, stunned, surprised and wanting more! :devil: You secret, sexy cutie, you :kiss:

Twofold:

I confess that Rachel Maddow is a goddess in great need of a new hairstyle.

I also confess that benadryl is the only thing anymore that gets me to sleep... aside of being up for 3 days.

I'm not ashamed to confess that I'm feeling a little teary-eyed right now after reading about the December 24th Truce of 1914.

For those not familiar with it, the story is that on Christmas Eve on the Western Front of WWII the Austrian/German troops ceased fire and began to decorate the trenches with homemade Christmas decorations. They started singing Christmas carols, and when the British soldiers on the opposing side heard it they responded by singing in English. When the other side heard their song answered numerous shouts of "Merry Christmas" began to call out from one side to the other. There were even requests for the two opposing sides to meet and the men actually ventured into the No Man's Land between the trenches. They met each other with smiles and exchanged small gifts of whatever they had available; pints of whiskey, jars of jam, candy, cigars. They even played football games in some areas. Furthermore, this was all against direct order of their superiors, as a holiday truce had been suggested and shouted down on both sides. The fighting resumed 2 days later.

I dunno, but something about that just makes me feel so good. It's probably one of the best examples of human decency I've ever heard of and it really makes me not feel so awful about the state of the species.

Or maybe I'm just way too soft-hearted...

That is wonderful. Must have been really hard to resume fighting after that. How could you resume fighting after you've shared something like that?

That is wonderful. Must have been really hard to resume fighting after that. How could you resume fighting after you've shared something like that?

Apparently it wasn't easy at all. To prevent it from happening again the command on both sides took special care to be sure the troops were rotated regularly. This way there was no chance of men on the opposing sides developing a relationship. There were a few smaller instances in further years of the war, but nothing on the scale that the one in '14 was.

to glasspenguin and shysweet

there was also the truce in gallipoli to bury the dead..during which time much the same thing happened. photos, card games, even rations were shared. then they went back to killing each other.

war is stupid. if it wasn't for the governemnt of the day, no-one would have been fighting in ww1.

ww2 is a slightly different story... and these days it's terrorism not war per se. we're slowly degenerating here...

ICT my kitchen smells wonderful after putting a chicken in the oven to roast with freshly chopped rosemary, thyme and sage. Added to that was a red casserole dish with chopped new potatoes, onions, turnips and parsnips, all coated with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and a little reserved chopped herb.

Next up, baguette and cornbread stuffing and stuffed sage & parmesan mushroom caps! :D

Yes, I love to cook and like it even more when I have Martini in the Morning playing in the backdrop.

Anyone wanna' break bread? ;)

ICT my kitchen smells wonderful after putting a chicken in the oven to roast with freshly chopped rosemary, thyme and sage. Added to that was a red casserole dish with chopped new potatoes, onions, turnips and parsnips, all coated with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and a little reserved chopped herb.

Next up, baguette and cornbread stuffing and stuffed sage & parmesan mushroom caps! :D

Yes, I love to cook and like it even more when I have Martini in the Morning playing in the backdrop.

i confess you just made me hungry.

Red, I always thought you were complicated, but I guess I was wrong. Good way to break things up. I confess that I am conflicted sometimes and I need to look at things more simplistically ;)

there was also the truce in gallipoli to bury the dead..during which time much the same thing happened. photos, card games, even rations were shared. then they went back to killing each other.

war is stupid. if it wasn't for the governemnt of the day, no-one would have been fighting in ww1.

ww2 is a slightly different story... and these days it's terrorism not war per se. we're slowly degenerating here...

Yes, I also forgot that proper burial of the dead was part of the truce as well, with both sides present, no less.

In the interest of the thread, I'll preface this next part with I confess that...

I confess that while I don't consider myself to be religious (and anyone who knows me knows that I have severe issues with religion) I feel that there are parts of all religions that are universal. For me, it's not so much the actual meaning of Christmas (though I do believe in Jesus Christ and his teachings, however perverted some of them may have become thanks to the motives of others) I think the message is something that's meant for everyone, regardless of what they believe. The Western Front truce and Gallipoli I think are perfect examples of what the bulk of men really believe. Those who were fighting didn't care what their superiors said or which side was right. They both knew that what they were doing, at least in that particular moment, was wrong. I think it sums up very well that there are very few people who actually want war and violence and that given the choice most will do what they know to be right. Further conflicts have been different, of course. In World War II the fight was against a force genuine evil. I hesitate to call it just because that's too black and white, but I think most civilized people will agree that what action was taken was warranted. As for the current situation and most any other from the 1960s onward, I think you're right in that it speaks of the degeneration of society. We now face enemies who rule by fear and who target without discretion. In WWI, at least it was uniformed men fighting uniformed men, face to face and muzzle to muzzle. Now, you have the fire bombing of Dresden, Calley and his massacre at My Lai, Oklahoma City, September 11th, and any number of others, and every one of them resulted in civilian blood shed for no reason at all.

I think deep down we all still want to do what we know is right, and hopefully one day we all will. There are many causes to which it is noble to offer one's life, but I honestly can think of very, very few where it would be considered noble to take the life of another.

Hope this didn't come off too "hippie-fied". I didn't mean to end up on a rant, but it's something I've been turning over in my head for quite awhile. I suppose reading about 1914 reminded me that given the chance people still have the capacity to do good and right things- it'd be nice to see more of it these days.

hm

I confess that I don't come here often enough and it must be remedied!!

Funny you should mention that.

The British felt sniping, the specific targeting of officers, and guerilla warfare was wrong during the Revolutionary War, but now it's accepted.

Funny how morals change...

ICT I just had the best afternoon hanging out with my 1year old nephew. Dam he is cute :)

Also.... ICT I get a little turned on when I see someone is hanging around my favorite thread even tho we have never talked to each other much :p.

Last edited:
Red, I always thought you were complicated, but I guess I was wrong. Good way to break things up. I confess that I am conflicted sometimes and I need to look at things more simplistically ;)

Awww....I'm really quite simple, my dear. At least, in pleasures. I once had a science teacher that used to tell me all the time, "Keep your pleasures simple and you will always have them."

It was great advice.

ICT I'm cleaned up from dinner and now I'm making a confetti birthday cake with lime green whipped cream frosting and pale pink trimming.

It's a busy kitchen around here tonight. :)

Apparently it wasn't easy at all. To prevent it from happening again the command on both sides took special care to be sure the troops were rotated regularly. This way there was no chance of men on the opposing sides developing a relationship. There were a few smaller instances in further years of the war, but nothing on the scale that the one in '14 was.

Thank you for sharing this story honey. Sure makes me think and gives me a new perspective on war... :cattail:

Ict

I've been doing so well eating healthy, lost a little weight, been feeling wonderful. Tonight I just completely blew it... I'll be back on it tomorrow but kind of disappointed in myself.

I even tried on dresses this weekend and they looked great in a smaller size than I've worn for years...

I've been doing so well eating healthy, lost a little weight, been feeling wonderful. Tonight I just completely blew it... I'll be back on it tomorrow but kind of disappointed in myself.

I even tried on dresses this weekend and they looked great in a smaller size than I've worn for years...
Good for you, girl! I can't imagine that body looking any better :rose:

Shy I can tell you two things.
1. I looked at almost all of your pics and I like what I see.
2. The best diet I ever tried was one that let me eat anything I wanted one day per week. It worked and I was able to lose quite a bit. Keep on trying and you'll get to where you want to be.

I would be glad to provide moral support. I like to be useful.

2. The best diet I ever tried was one that let me eat anything I wanted one day per week. It worked and I was able to lose quite a bit. Keep on trying and you'll get to where you want to be.

Yes I've been doing really and this is the first time in like weeks and weeks and it really wasn't that bad. My body builds muscle quickly. I change shape. It's difficult to lose actual weight. I eat healthier than most people do on a regular basis.

I like my body overall just a few places that I'd like to have less of. ;)

Would listen to any kind of advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back