Beer club

I drank this Imperial 'Breakfast' Cream Ale last weekend. I liked it a lot. Great clarity, creamy head, and the additional 'breakfast' ingredients were not overpowering.

I have a newfound respect for the Cream Ale style

tumblr_p6b3ju2gbp1s754npo1_540.jpg

Has anyone else tried Firestone's Lager? I'm having it now, but intrigued by others' opinions.

Has anyone else tried Firestone's Lager? I'm having it now, but intrigued by others' opinions.

I usually pass by their station at the GABBWF. I'm usually drinking barleywines, there. And Firestone has never offered barleywines at the festival.

The lager was quite mediocre, which is s shame because I like most of their beers.

I'm a long-time beer drinker and homebrewer.

Here in Ohio it's maple season. I just made a seasonal Scotch Ale using maple tree sap instead of the water and added maple syrup to the fermenter as well as the keg. It should be ready to try in a few more days . . . Very small amount of hops, I'm hoping the malt and the maple should compliment each other well.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/114a152727f693f3c7f44615312cf01d/tumblr_nleylidP4Z1s754npo8_1280.jpg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/46c31126b23cb382295243230d9a7801/tumblr_p58jqg72ip1s754npo1_540.jpg

This sounds really good. How did it turn out?

I haven't brewed in almost a year, but am getting the urge to try something again. I'm thinking of trying some small 1 gallon batches so I can play around with some crazy things and not feel to bad if they don't work out .

Southern Tier’s Warlock Imperial Stout is quite nice.

That's the only pumpkin beer I find enjoyable.

This sounds really good. How did it turn out?

I haven't brewed in almost a year, but am getting the urge to try something again. I'm thinking of trying some small 1 gallon batches so I can play around with some crazy things and not feel to bad if they don't work out .

I got a 30/50 in a recent competition with that maple beer. It was entered in the experimental category. Judges said it needed to be maltier, more true to the base style. I could not disagree. My drinking friends were very happy with it. Same competition, my imperial stout took a silver out of 17 stout entries, I was most happy with that result and the stout that beat it took best of show.

BTW, it's National Beer Day here in the USA. I hope everyone is celebrating responsibly.

That's the only pumpkin beer I find enjoyable.

I got a 30/50 in a recent competition with that maple beer. It was entered in the experimental category. Judges said it needed to be maltier, more true to the base style. I could not disagree. My drinking friends were very happy with it. Same competition, my imperial stout took a silver out of 17 stout entries, I was most happy with that result and the stout that beat it took best of show.

As long as your friends enjoyed drinking it, that's a pretty good reward for a homebrewer. Congratulations on your imperial stout getting a silver!

I'm still toying with the idea of doing some 1-gallon batches this year. I find that 5 gallons is somewhat unwieldy for me (a short, 50-something woman) to move around. And with one gallon, I could definitely experiment with less risk.

As long as your friends enjoyed drinking it, that's a pretty good reward for a homebrewer. Congratulations on your imperial stout getting a silver!

I'm still toying with the idea of doing some 1-gallon batches this year. I find that 5 gallons is somewhat unwieldy for me (a short, 50-something woman) to move around. And with one gallon, I could definitely experiment with less risk.

Thanks!

I've thought about doing the small batches too, but it's about the same time and effort for a small batch as it is for a large one. I brew with a son-in-law. I keep some and he and his friends drink the rest. It satisfies my desire for a hobby and works out well for him, my daughter and their friends.

To what extent have IPAs been taking over other states? We are inundated by them in California!

To what extent have IPAs been taking over other states? We are inundated by them in California!

They are all over. Overhopped and rampant. Have you ever tried to taste anything else after drinking a 100 IBU IPA?

This month's beer club contains:

Belching Beaver - Me So Honey Blonde
Belching Beaver - Hop Highway
Belching Beaver - Peanut Butter Milk Stout
Belching Beaver - Phantom Bride IPA
Belching Beaver - Mexican Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout
Swan Lake - Samurai Barley Ale (at 10%, it will go into my aging rack)

Back