Does it matter?

CharlotteC

Virgin
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Posts
22
I know many people have strong feelings about people with alt accounts here on Lit (and other places I guess), and even stronger feeling about people pretending to be someone they are not.

Essentially catfishing.

But does it really matter?
Is it really catfishing if you're just chatting on a message board with no real stakes (finding a real world partner, getting a job, making an investment)?


As I see it, unless you are planning to see the person in the real world (and yes, some from Lit do, but they are in the minority), why does it matter if they are male, female, somewhere in between or something else entirely.
We are all adults on this site, capable of making our own decisions, building friendships and relationships. I find it hard to believe that many people are here to learn about how to talk to the other sex. And those that are will learn some horrific habits here.

All that being said, I am writing this post with the vague hope that someone I know will find it and read it, so here is the more direct bit of what I want to say. And I'm not sure why I feel I need to say it in such a long winded and round about way.

I know you have at least 2 active accounts, and that both of you are talking to me.
You have a very fun imagination. It would just be nice for me to be a bit less of a framing device and more of a person in that world.
Yes I know both people are you, and no I don't care. Don't worry about slipping up because it's a fun game!

But then, why does it matter if you know that I know?
 
Just my opinion but if I was chatting with a person on a regular basis I wouldn't like it if they was pretending to be two different people. If I take my time to chat with a person I don't have to know anything more than what they want to tell me but I would hope that they wouldn't play games like that.

Now that you know though the game is over. Glad you've been having fun with whoever. ☺

Again, just my opinion. I judge no one.
 
If we are just asking a question, then it probably wouldn't matter. Unless perhaps we were asking a question about women and a man answered, pretending to be a woman.

But if we are chatting, yes, it matters. I used to run a chat room. You would not believe how many men are out there posing as women. Why? They told me that as a man, they'd never get cyber from a woman because women aren't into that. But when they posed as a woman, they always got cyber. This was hard for me to figure out because men seem to like to talk about their cocks and such and they wouldn't be able to do that. They'd have to talk about genitals they don't even have.

I've also had male friends get hurt because they fell in love with a persona they met online, only to discover that the woman was really a guy.

I don't get it personally because I'll bet if they were honest about who they were, they would find someone who wanted them for who they are. Might take a while but I'll bet they would.

Or... It could just be that people get their kicks by deceiving people.
 
sissy finds this interesting. In chatting with folks here sissy did not consider this. As a sissy most of the chats are with males some with other sissys and few with females. It seem that males like to chat with sissys.
As it states as long as all are having nice chats does it really matter what the presumed sex orientation is, after all the purpose of a chat room is to chat. It is better with the truth but does not have to be to have a nice chat.
 
Does it matter? For some, it most definitely matters. I wouldn't want to find out that someone I was friends with wasn't actually who I thought they were. It becomes less important to me if its some random stranger.

If you're going to pretend to be someone else, do it in a role play situation, where everyone is aware that they're pretending. Otherwise it comes across as a bit creepy.
 
holding up my hand

I've had ALTS

but not hitting the same person. actually it was only one alt and I tried to be a woman for a bit.

kinda worked. Myself and the other men that I chatted to; that were also pretending to be women; had fun!

generally its around consent, providing everyone knows the score, its fine. it you are alting and maybe that's not consent, but your original point stands. You don't mind:kiss:
 
i don't get the different sex alt. i guess i don't have enough imagination to pull it off.
 
Does it matter? For some, it most definitely matters. I wouldn't want to find out that someone I was friends with wasn't actually who I thought they were. It becomes less important to me if its some random stranger.

If you're going to pretend to be someone else, do it in a role play situation, where everyone is aware that they're pretending. Otherwise it comes across as a bit creepy.

I agree with this. If I am investing time in someone and becoming friends, finding out they had lied about who they were would be a red flag and would most likely end things. I just don't like liars.

But if you aren't bothered by it, simply tell "him" that you know the two alts are him and take it into a role-playing situation if you want to still pretend. Will that work for you?
 
I would mind because honesty is extremely important to me. Especially online, when all I know is what the person tells me. They can keep info. from me, but what they share better be true. It matters because it sets the whole tone for our relationship/ interaction. If they aren't honest, how do I trust anything they say? And if that's the case, why would I want to interact with them?
 
And quite a few of those with multiple personalities do not use them for positive interactions.
That gives those who have them a general bad name.

At some fora it will get you banned immediately and permanently.
 
I've got some good online friends through Lit and to be honest, it doesn't matter to me what gender they are, so long as they are true to themselves and respect the relationship we have. Besides, those friends don't come here to hit on you, they just tell you what they've done that day, offer advice, discuss topics you both find interesting and send you a birthday wish... kinda like friends do.
 
Back
Top