How many of you Americans are proud...

Sean

We'll see.
...that your country is locking children up in concentration camps?

...that your country is locking children up in concentration camps?

Not.
And the husband refuses to hang the American flag on the 4th of July.

We normally rotate between the Canadian and American flag. Not this year.

Not.
And the husband refuses to hang the American flag on the 4th of July.

We normally rotate between the Canadian and American flag. Not this year.

I'm seeing people online trying to justify it and I'm just gobsmacked.

I haven't flown a flag since the Shrub perverted the election in '00 and I don't imagine I ever will again. I tend to turn away from it now when I see it flying elsewhere.

I'm seeing people online trying to justify it and I'm just gobsmacked.

You and me both. This is wrong on so many levels. Add in the trauma for these children. This is not going to end well.

It needs to be stopped now.

You and me both. This is wrong on so many levels. Add in the trauma for these children. This is not going to end well.

It needs to be stopped now.

So, what's your answer?

Remember, their parents are IN CUSTODY. Should the kids go to the same jail?

Not.
The only upside of this--well, two--is, one, that it's so blatant. It would be more insidious and harder to define if they were the least bit subtle about it. And, two, it also brings the sleazy sluggards out into the open--including those on this discussion board.

In Canada we set up tent cities and dorms. Families are kept together, children are in school.
They are arrested and then the government decides if they can stay or go home.

No excuse for this BS that is happening in the US. There are humane ways to deal with it.

I've never seen a reason to not be proud of my country. Politicians come and go. Not gonna base my love of country on who happens to be in office at any given time.
Don't need to agree with everything we do either. We do shitty things, all countries do. If we based pride on shitty stuff we do then the internment camps woulda done us in a long time ago. Or slavery before that.
Pride should be based on our response to shitty things not the things themselves.

So, what's your answer?

So I'll put you down as being in favour of putting children in concentration camps, Tim. Colour me shocked.

So, what's your answer?

Wasn't a problem before so we musta been doing something. And don't say we did nothing at all because we obviously did. Until very recently this wasn't an issue except in isolated cases. What did we do before and why can't we do that now?

So, what's your answer?

Since the issue is separating children from their parents for no other reason than to deter the migration, the answer is simple: don't keep the parents separate from the children unless you have evidence the parents are beating on the children.

The policy is not just heartless--it's abhorrent to civilized society.

This thread is, at least, bringing some of the sleazy sluggards who post here out from underneath their rocks.

Since the issue is separating children from their parents for no other reason than to deter the migration, the answer is simple: don't keep the parents separate from the children unless you have evidence the parents are beating on the children.

The policy is not just heartless--it's abhorrent to civilized society.

This thread is, at least, bringing some of the sleazy sluggards who post here out from underneath their rocks.

You're learning Pops.:)

Team Trump will make a believer out of you yet.

Together, we will MAKE AMERICA GREAT again!

kidsprison.jpg

And this was due to Trump's group?

*Image snipped*

And this was due to Trump's group?

No. I hear your sarcasm and had to say that that's an Obama era photograph. Right now everyone is screaming "Trump's policies are harming kids!" when in fact this is the current administration continuing the prior administrations program which is based upon THE LAW.

I love it when our congressmen call for "abolishing this horrible thing" yet THEY are the ones responsible for the law in the first place. And I have yet to see ANY OF THEM sponsor a bill to repeal that section of the immigration code.

This is all kabuki theater.

I'm not going to emote like Sean, because it goes without saying that the situation is abhorrent.

So from what I read the Border crossing seems to be getting out of control, and prosecuting the repeat offenders is seen as the only deterrent. I'm far from condoning that, but I can see Trump's reasoning.

But why don't they keep the parents and children together until the trial?
This isn't like the typical scenario, when they're dealing with just dozens of families and can place the kids ad hoc in the custody of a caring foster family. Warehousing them like cattle is ...

A responsible parent wouldn't put their children in that situation.

No they'd probably go on "vacation" and keep posting to a forum they claimed they wouldn't even think about while on said "vacation."

I'm not going to emote like Sean, because it goes without saying that the situation is abhorrent.

So from what I read the Border crossing seems to be getting out of control, and prosecuting the repeat offenders is seen as the only deterrent. I'm far from condoning that, but I can see Trump's reasoning.

But why don't they keep the parents and children together until the trial?
This isn't like the typical scenario, when they're dealing with just dozens of families and can place the kids ad hoc in the custody of a caring foster family. Warehousing them like cattle is ...

Because when you send the parents to an immigration hold, they go to PRISON, not a hotel. US prison policies prohibit housing minors with adults in custody. Ask yourself; do you WANT kids in jails with adults who are already convicted of crimes like child molesting and are waiting on deportation? Or would you prefer to house them in temporary facilities resembling orphanages where they are safe and cared for?

Wasn't a problem before so we musta been doing something.

Er. Yeah it was. Just not to the extent that it is in Trumpistan, thanks to the Feds prosecuting all unlawful border crossers for Federal criminal offenses (sometimes just misdemeanors) and separating children from parents in all cases. This simply wasn’t the case in the Obama or Bush administrations.

However, migrant kids have always had it tough.

EDIT: Whataboutism in this case is almost a valid point to make, because it’s important to realize just how long this has been a problem, and that it’s been a problem for a long time because coming up with a good, Executive-branch-only solution has proven damn hard. But the Trump Admin is making things worse, not better, by overloading a system that was already not working in the first place.

Last edited:
Back