Paying Husbands Debts(Need 1-Female PM first)

“Emma, I don’t disagree with anything you have said. We have talked about most of it and much more. I love you and you know that. As far as each of us being in love with each other….we know that takes proper time. There is far too much that has to be done to think that far in the future other than…the possibility.”

His words reassured her. She sighed and seemed to relax.

“I care about you being in good spirits and happy darling. Next, I want you to get yourself taken care of medically. That bothers me a lot especially knowing pain you live with. “

He was right. She definitely had to see to that first of all.

”I guess after that it is up to you. I support you however you choose to proceed.
If a divorce is the next path to travel then I will get a lawyer and get it done quickly and as painlessly as possible.”


Again Emma realised that she hadn’t even thought things through that far yet.

”Then after again it is your move baby. You know at that point we might be ready for a good courtship but in the end Emma…my love for you is mainly wanting you to be happy and bring back that smile on a regular basis that I love so much.”

She smiled widely as he kissed her. His words had put her completely at her ease.
It had been important to her to make things clear to him. She didn’t want to make promises that she couldn’t keep and didn’t want Ron to end up hurt or disappointed.

“Let me know when you are ready to get moving dear. Of course the help I offered in the shower is still out there.”

She chuckled as he joked.

”Raincheck, perhaps?”

She told him softly and watched him take away the now empty tray and head downstairs. Retrieving her clothes she went through to her own room to gather her things and head to the bathroom to get ready to go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Emma was obviously nervous as they headed out of the house. She hadn’t thought which practice Ron would take her to and only asked him where they were headed when he turned the car to head out of town.

“I don’t think going to a doctor in town is wise as we are still hiding your whereabouts from John. Much less the first thing they will do is ask you about a domestic violence situation before they obviously see your issues sweetie.”

Emma hadn’t even thought of that! And of course, she knew that there would be questions, difficult questions. With Ron she had disclosed as much as he needed to know, with professionals, they were certain to be disturbingly thorough.

Emma was quiet as they continued their journey, her mind running over past events and trying to decide what or how much to tell. She filled in the paperwork and although she really wanted to protest, she said nothing when Ron explained that everything would be paid for in cash. Everything was taken care of to ensure that John could not find her.

All too soon it seemed that her name was called.

“If you want me in there for anything all you have to do is ask.”

She nodded.

”Thank you ... “

She resisted the urge to ask him to go in with her from the start and took a deep breath and headed into the consultation room.

The Doctor who welcomed her and invited her to take a seat must have been in his late 40s. He verified her details and she confirmed name and age, yet when he asked for her address she replied that she currently had no permanent address and was staying with friends. Emma knew that she should explain the circumstances fully, but the moment seemed to run away from her.

”And you’re here for ... a broken rib...?”

She nodded.

”That is ... it was ... but ... I’m overdue a check up ... “

She murmured.

”If you’ll just take off your jacket and sit on the couch ... “

He instructed her.
Emma nodded and eased off her jacket, leaving it on the chair as she moved across to the couch, the discoloration on her arms clearly in view and noted by the doctor, their sight actually confirming his initial concerns regarding the young woman who awaited him.

”And you other ... injuries ... were they sustained at the same time as the broken rib?”

She looked up at him as he crossed the room to her and blushed feeling ashamed at his discovery.

” ... some ... not all ... “

He nodded a hand lightly lifting and turning first one arm, then the other.

”... these injuries ... they’ve accumulated over a period of time?”

She nodded. He asked nothing further and she offered no more information.

”Can you show me your original rib injury, Emma?”

He asked gently, prompting her to turn and lift the blouse she wore above her jeans.

He reached out and gently ran his fingers down her rib cage, causing her to flinch even though he believed his touch could not have hurt her.

”I’m going to call in a colleague, Dr Rebecca Manvers.
I think we need a second opinion here ... “


Emma was initially alarmed at the calling in of a second Doctor, but relieved that he had decided to share her case with a female colleague. To her surprise a strikingly auburn haired young woman knocked and entered shortly afterwards. Emma guessed that she would be around 30 and radiated compassion as she crossed the room to Emma.

”We’ll organise an x-ray to find what’s going on with your rib.
Becci, can you do an ultrasound? I won’t be long ... ”


The young Doctor nodded her Senior excused himself and left the room.

”It’s Emma, isn’t it?”

Her smile was all compassion as Emma nodded.

”We need to x-ray to see how if the bone has fused properly. How long since the original injury?”

Emma considered as the Dr took up a pad.

”Oh ... about 2 months now, I think. I was supposed to get it checked after a month but ... “

Emma shrugged and offered no further exploration. Undeterred Dr Manvers jotted down the information and turned back to Emma.

”The ultrasound ... that’s to check for soft tissue damage ... we’ll check around the rib to ensure there’s nothing worrying going on there and then ... “

She paused and laid her hand gently on Emma’s.

”You have a lot of visible bruising ... “

She nodded towards Emma’s arms.

”If you’re up to it, I’d advise cataloguing any other injuries you may have and checking out any soft tissue areas that may need attention.”

Emma nodded agreement.

”I ... haven’t dared get properly checked out ... for ... months ... “

She told her shakily.

” ... and now ...?”

The Doctor prompted.

” ... and now ... I’m in a safe place ... “

She smiled then thinking of Ron waiting for her outside.

”Who did all this to you, Emma?”

The direct question came as a surprise, even though she had not denied her injuries, Emma had yet to admit what John had done to her.

”My husband ... “

She admitted shakily.

” ... the past 3 months ... “

She took a breath and forced herself to go on.

” ... he drinks ... has such rages ... “

She felt almost guilty telling someone, though she knew she had to.

”He’s never done anything serious ... never attacked me with anything or ... “

John wasn’t a monster. Emma felt she had to make the Doctors realise that.

”He just gets angry and frustrated and if I’m in the wrong place, or say the wrong thing... “

He didn’t use her as a punch bag, but she had grown increasingly afraid of his temper. John was rough and strong and anger made him lose control. He thought nothing about pulling her around or shoving her or at his worst dragging her around the house. Her injuries were mainly knocks and bumps caused by the force with which she came into contact with furniture, floors or in the case of her rib with the sink.

Dr Manvers did not challenge Emma’s version of events. Instead she merely responded.

”But bruises and knocks still shouldn’t go unchecked, especially if they’re sustained with any frequency ... “

And so Emma found herself logging a growing list of minor injuries as she consented to being examined and was unable to avoid giving an explanation for each of the Doctor’s findings.

The visit to the x-ray department was brief and confirmed that there were no fractures present in her upper body.

”Which leads us to suspect soft tissue damage ... “

She was told.. .
She had declined the offer for Ron to be called to X-ray, but this time when asked if she wanted him present for the ultrasound, she had agreed for him to be called.

”Hey ... “

She said as he entered the room, her original Doctor accompanying him as Dr Manvers prepared the ultrasound machine. She smiled up at Ron as he took her hand and turned her attention to the young woman who repeated for Ron’s benefit.

”So Emma, your bones are all fine, all nicely healed. The bruising and lacerations show no complications, But you’re still in pain which we believe is due to soft tissue damage."

She indicated Emma's abdomen.

"It could be that your original muscle damage was never allowed to heal and that recurrent low level injury has led to the pain you’re now experiencing. There could be ... other causes ...
As we discussed, we’ll check you out thoroughly and check what’s going on in there, ok?”


Emma nodded.

”Sure, ok ... “

The young Doctor smiled at Emma and drew John into that warmth.

”This won’t hurt, just feel a bit cold at first.. so relax ... as soon as we find out what's going on in there, the sooner we can get you all fixed up ... ”

And so saying, she applied the gel and then the scanning head, her eyes on the monitor as shapes started coming into focus and Emma anxiously awaited the diagnosis.
 
Ron was anxious in the waiting room. He was fairly concerned about what they would find. Emma is a strong woman and likely took some abuse that a normal person couldn’t handle. Not like John drunk or sober is not a dangerous man. He was a Army Ranger and knows how to hurt someone.

Emma must have called for him to go in with her for a test. Ron jumped up and went quickly.
”Hey ... “ she said and Ron gripped her hand.

The female doctor explained to Ron, ”So Emma, your bones are all fine, all nicely healed. The bruising and lacerations show no complications, But you’re still in pain which we believe is due to soft tissue damage."

“Okay..Thank You doctor.” He said and held her hand.

"It could be that your original muscle damage was never allowed to heal and that recurrent low level injury has led to the pain you’re now experiencing. There could be ... other causes ...
As we discussed, we’ll check you out thoroughly and check what’s going on in there, ok?” the female doctor stated.

”Sure, ok ... “ Emma said. Ron kissed her forehead.

“Everything is going to be good dear. After the tests then they will know what to do to make everything perfect.” Ron whispered to her and kissed her cheek.

”This won’t hurt, just feel a bit cold at first.. so relax ... as soon as we find out what's going on in there, the sooner we can get you all fixed up ... ” the female doctor stated.

The gel was applied and then the scanning head, all eyes on the monitor as shapes started coming into focus. Ron was quite worried as to what this could be. Ultra-sound? He worked to keep a brave exterior. He mouthed I Love You to Emma amongst his encouragement.
 
Emma hadn’t been sure how Ron would behave in front of two doctors, but he held her hand and kissed her forehead encouragingly as she tried to relax.

“Everything is going to be good dear. After the tests then they will know what to do to make everything perfect.”

His encouragement reassured her. She had no idea what the Doctor’s must be thinking, but they obviously made no comment as he kissed her cheek and missed him mouthing “I love you” as the images danced meaninglessly for them on the screen.

The Doctor made sweep after sweep moving in circular movements from way lower than the rib line making her way slowly from one side to the other and then upwards. Nodding as if to herself she moved higher and then began to move more slowly, the movement light, but making Emma wince none-the-less as she moved over the area where Emma had assumed her rib had been broken. She glanced across at the other Doctor who moved forward to take a look.

”What is it?”

Emma queried.

”Almost over ... just keep still ... it’s fine ... “

It was Dr Manvers who spoke, her warm smile briefly taking in Emma and Ron before returning to the screen once more. Hitting a few buttons she recorded the images, changed location and recorded the view once more.

”All done ... “

She announced, gently wiping Emma’s body free of the gel.

”And we’ve found what we were looking for.”

Her voice seemed reassuring.

”Don’t get dressed just yet. We’ll soon fix you up ... “

She told them as she wheeled the trolley away to have the image printed out.

Emma sat up on the examination couch moving nearer to Ron as she awaited the outcome.
Although it seemed an age, it was actually just a few minutes later when both Doctors pulled chairs up opposite them both and smiled reassuringly.

It was Dr Manvers who spoke first.

”We’ve done a thorough check of the internal organs. No abnormalities. Reproductive, urinary and digestive system all as they should be ... “

Emma nodded, exhaling in relief.

”Any issues you might have had with those organs would have been stress related. Normally I’d make recommendations for counselling or prescribe anti-depressants or sleeping pills depending on the circumstances.”

She glanced at Ron then back at Emma.

”But as you’ve stressed that you’re now safe ... and secure ... “

She had decided she liked the man with Emma and only hoped that he would be in for the long haul.

”I think all that will regulate itself with time and rest in a calm and secure environment.
But if you feel the need for either of the other options ... ”


Emma interrupted her.

”I’d prefer not to go onto medication ... and as for counselling ... “

She could speak to Ron about most things and had managed to discuss all her issues with Rebecca Manvers that afternoon so felt much better about things; especially having given the recent news.

” ... I don’t think it’s necessary now, but .. I’ll consider if if I feel the need in future ... “

Dr Manvers seemed reassured that Emma would indeed do what was needed to take care of herself from now on.

”However, there is an issue which is the source of the pain you are experiencing.”

This was the other Doctor.

” ... the ultrasound shows swelling within your abdominal wall.”[/I

Emma was unsure what that meant.

”Although a slight tear is visible, the injury can be treated in the first instance as a second degree injury.”

Emma was none the wiser until the female Doctor clarified.

”An original injury which may or may not have been the time you sustained the broken rib caused minor abdominal muscle strain. The minor injury was not given adequate rest and indeed was subjected to more, possibly repeated trauma. This minor first degree injury has therefore developed to a second degree and currently with the presence of a slight tear and minor bleeding into the abdomen has progressed just short of the third level, which would necessitate surgery.”

The diagnosis was clear now, but the last thing Emma wanted was surgery!
Seeing her alarm, the first Doctor interrupted.

”Though as I said, I am sure this can be treated non-evasively.”

He gave a pointed look to Dr Rebecca Manvers who then proceeded.

”We recommend that we give you an injection, a local anaesthetic into the injury. This will give you immediate and reasonably long term pain relief.
A week afterwards, you can medicate with non-steroid anti-inflammatories.
Of course all this is with the proviso that you do not risk any further impact injuries to any part of your abdomen or back. “


She looked at Ron hoping he realised the gravity of her words.

”Masking the pain to such an extent would result in being unaware of advanced damage. Any impact to these areas at all will necessitate surgery to correct.”

Emma and Ron reassured her that there would be no future risk.

”However ... “

The kindly male Doctor rose and smiled at Emma.

” ... if you give yourself the time to rest and recuperate as Dr Manvers has described then not only will you get instant pain relief, but you’ll be as good as new in no time ... “

Emma looked at Ron.
She had no idea what the cost of this consultation was, but even she could work out that an injection and anti-inflammatories would be cheaper than surgery.

Consent given, the note went to the pharmacy to arrange for the injection and fill out the prescription and they were finally left alone whilst preparations were made.

”I don’t like injections ... “

Emma commented with a grimace.

” ... but if you’re squeamish, you can wait for me outside. It won’t take long I imagine.”

She offered.
 
”What is it?” Emma was impatient as Ron held her hand and whispered to be patient.

”Almost over ... just keep still ... it’s fine ... “ Dr. Manvers said.

She hit some buttons and then was done.

”All done ... And we’ve found what we were looking for.” Dr. Manvers said.

Ron felt upbeat with her tone much less finding the issue.

”Don’t get dressed just yet. We’ll soon fix you up ... “Dr. Manvers said.

Emma sat up on the examination couch moving nearer to Ron as they awaited the outcome.
“Your going to be good Em. I told you so.” Ron said as he put his arm around her.

Both doctors came back and proceeded to speak. Ron gripped Emma’s hand.

”We’ve done a thorough check of the internal organs. No abnormalities. Reproductive, urinary and digestive system all as they should be ...Any issues you might have had with those organs would have been stress related. Normally I’d make recommendations for counselling or prescribe anti-depressants or sleeping pills depending on the circumstances.” Dr. Manvers said.

She glanced at Ron then back at Emma. Ron felt a big relief.

”But as you’ve stressed that you’re now safe ... and secure ... I think all that will regulate itself with time and rest in a calm and secure environment.
But if you feel the need for either of the other options ... ” Dr. Manvers said.

”I’d prefer not to go onto medication ... and as for counselling ... I don’t think it’s necessary now, but .. I’ll consider if I feel the need in future ... “ Emma spoke up as Ron looked at her eye to eye.

”However, there is an issue which is the source of the pain you are experiencing.” The male doctor spoke and Ron got a bit unnerved.

” ... the ultrasound shows swelling within your abdominal wall. Although a slight tear is visible, the injury can be treated in the first instance as a second degree injury.” The male doctor went on to state.

”An original injury which may or may not have been the time you sustained the broken rib caused minor abdominal muscle strain. The minor injury was not given adequate rest and indeed was subjected to more, possibly repeated trauma. This minor first degree injury has therefore developed to a second degree and currently with the presence of a slight tear and minor bleeding into the abdomen has progressed just short of the third level, which would necessitate surgery.” Dr. Manvers said.

Ron didn’t like the idea of surgery but whatever was necessary.

”Though as I said, I am sure this can be treated non-evasively.” Dr. Manvers said.


Looks between the doctor and she proceeded.

”We recommend that we give you an injection, a local anaesthetic into the injury. This will give you immediate and reasonably long term pain relief.
A week afterwards, you can medicate with non-steroid anti-inflammatories.
Of course all this is with the proviso that you do not risk any further impact injuries to any part of your abdomen or back. “Dr. Manvers said.

Ron met the doctor’s eyes and knew the importance of what she was telling them.

”Masking the pain to such an extent would result in being unaware of advanced damage. Any impact to these areas at all will necessitate surgery to correct.” Dr. Manvers said.

“No further risk…and I would actually say she will be comfortably taking it easy for a while.” Ron said confidently.

”However ... if you give yourself the time to rest and recuperate as Dr Manvers has described then not only will you get instant pain relief, but you’ll be as good as new in no time ... “ The male doctor stated.

Ron took her hand and kissed it.

”I don’t like injections ... but if you’re squeamish, you can wait for me outside. It won’t take long I imagine.” Emma commented and Ron looked into her eyes.

“I said no matter what no matter when and no matter how…I am standing by your side Emma. It doesn’t matter if it is an injection or anything else.” He kisses her forehead and holds her hand.

He stayed and walked with her out afterwards with his arm around her.
“You don’t know how happy I am that you got that done sweetie. Now…lets talk about your R&R.” he said smiling as he got back in the car.

He started the car and drove.
“You can obviously hang out around my house Em…and many days I will be there to wait on you hand on foot. Then again I had an idea…I first want to say some things.” He stated and pulled over.

He looked directly in her eyes.
“Okay we are past that our relationship is not of a brother and sister unless we are from Kentucky…Just kidding. We are not lovers either. We are not boyfriend and girlfriend just yet either. Okay on the table…with all that no expectations except I want to have a good time with you in…a Sandals all inclusive resort in the Caribbean.” He said and waited for her reaction for moment.

“Lets get away Em and have a good time and rest and relax.” He added hoping she would say yes. He held her hands.
 
“I said no matter what no matter when and no matter how…I am standing by your side Emma. It doesn’t matter if it is an injection or anything else.”

And so he stayed and Emma was grateful that Ron was there. She didn’t like the whole procedure at all. An injection right into her mid-drift was painful, but surprisingly by the time she had been given the medication to take home with instructions to return for a check up in a month’s time“ ... and no later!” that constant dull ache had almost eased.

“You don’t know how happy I am that you got that done sweetie. Now…lets talk about your R&R.”

Emma was happy to slip back into the car. The emotion and stress of the morning had exhausted her, but she was pleased that not only had she gotten checked out medically, but a report had been compiled that she could use in court.

“You can obviously hang out around my house Em…and many days I will be there to wait on you hand on foot.”

She began to tell him that there was no need to do that, but he continued.

”Then again I had an idea…I first want to say some things.”

She turned to face him as he pulled the car over.

“Okay we are past that our relationship is not of a brother and sister unless we are from Kentucky…Just kidding. We are not lovers either. We are not boyfriend and girlfriend just yet either. Okay on the table…with all that no expectations except I want to have a good time with you in…a Sandals all inclusive resort in the Caribbean.”

She was sure she had not heard properly. He was crazy.

“Lets get away Em and have a good time and rest and relax.”

She shook her head.

”I can’t ... we can’t ... “

The more she thought of it, the crazier it seemed.

” ... I have one small suitcase to my name .... “

She told him.

” ... most of my stuff, my clothes are all back at home ... “

She couldn’t go back for them now, just in case John found her there. She couldn’t put herself at risk again. She had promised the Doctor’s that.

” ... and whilst we’re not in debt I can’t afford to be taking holidays ... heaven knows how much medical treatment, divorce and finding a place of my own might cost ... “

She raised her hand when he tried to interrupt.

”Oh ... I know that you’re willing to pay for it all ... but ... it’s just not right ... and then a holiday on top of everything else .... “

She shook her head.

”You don’t need to change your plans and look after me. Go to work as usual, I’ll take things easy, help out in the house whilst I’m there ... and then once I’ve got the all clear ... “

She shrugged. There would be no reason not to strike out on her own then.

”Look, Ron ... as long as I’m not being bounced off the furniture I’ll be fine ... I’m tougher than I look ... “

She reassured him.
 
She shook her head.

”I can’t ... we can’t ... I have one small suitcase to my name .... most of my stuff, my clothes are all back at home ... “ she states and declines his idea.

“I understand Em…but you know my take.” Ron said softly.

” ... and whilst we’re not in debt I can’t afford to be taking holidays ... heaven knows how much medical treatment, divorce and finding a place of my own might cost ... “ Emma said and raised her hand when he tried to interrupt.

”Oh ... I know that you’re willing to pay for it all ... but ... it’s just not right ... and then a holiday on top of everything else .... “ Emma stated.

She shook her head. He took her chin and kissed her lips.

“Just don’t ell me to stop loving you. I can wait for the holiday.” He says and smiles.

”You don’t need to change your plans and look after me. Go to work as usual, I’ll take things easy, help out in the house whilst I’m there ... and then once I’ve got the all clear ...Look, Ron ... as long as I’m not being bounced off the furniture I’ll be fine ... I’m tougher than I look ... “ she states.

“I know you are Em…but don’t be so quick to fly the coop. No reason you can’t stay to figure things out. I love having you around. I mean once you do…if you want to go then I respect that. I promised that I would help you go anywhere you want Em…I won’t be selfish I will hold to that sweetie.” Ron says and looks her earnestly in the eye.

They get back to Ron’s house and on the answering machine is a message that John was suspended pending termination from the fire department for missing work and being drunk in a adult nudie bar when he should have reported to work as well as arrested for a bar fight.
“That dumb SOB.” Ron said after listening to a mutual friends message.
 
Despite her rejection of his idea, Ron was not cross with her. She smiled as he kissed her.

“Just don’t tell me to stop loving you. I can wait for the holiday.”

She nodded. It was a lovely idea and there was nothing she’d enjoy more ... at the right time ...

“ ... don’t be so quick to fly the coop. No reason you can’t stay to figure things out. I love having you around. I mean once you do…if you want to go then I respect that. I promised that I would help you go anywhere you want Em…I won’t be selfish I will hold to that sweetie.”[/I]

Emma nodded.

”I know that ... and the holiday is a lovely idea, but perhaps not quite yet .... ?”

John started up the car, accepting yet another raincheck from her and headed back to the city and for the place that was the only home she had for now.

Wearily Emma preceded Ron into the house. Without thinking she walked into the lounge and kicked her shoes off before relaxing back in the sofa.

”I’m whacked...”

She murmured a hand moving tentatively to her abdomen finding the pain already greatly reduced.

Hey, perhaps I ...”

The comment was lost as she saw the direction of Ron’s gaze. The answer machine was flashing. Somehow they both ‘knew’ it had to be John. Their gazes met and Emma nodded. Ron hit the button and listened to the recorded message.

Their relief that it wasn’t in fact her husband was short lived. The message told of John’s suspension from the Fire Department and his arrest. The details were sordid and Emma wondered not for the first time just what had happened to him after only two years of marriage.

“That dumb SOB.”

Emma sighed somehow no longer able to summon up any more feelings of hurt, betrayal or disappointment, almost desensitised to his behaviour now.

”I should make some appointments ... “

She said instead.

” I wasn’t going to clear out our accounts, but it’s either that or he’ll drink what’s left there before any sort of financial agreement can be reached ... “

She was exhausted, but knew that she had to act as quickly as possible.

”And perhaps as he’s in jail right now, I should get more of my stuff out of the house?
Whilst the coast’s clear. The quicker I do that, the safer it will be ... “


She wondered how John felt about her plans.
 
Ron was angry and numb at the same time. John had done it. He would be fired. Ron wasn’t going to bail him out this time. He listened to Emma say various things but his thoughts on his friend and the next move for everyone.
” I wasn’t going to clear out our accounts, but it’s either that or he’ll drink what’s left there before any sort of financial agreement can be reached ...And perhaps as he’s in jail right now, I should get more of my stuff out of the house? Whilst the coast’s clear. The quicker I do that, the safer it will be ... “ Emma stated as his mind was racing.

“Yes…Yes lets get moving. You are owed what is in the accounts with interest. We will see what we can fit in my SUV. If need be I will rent a U-Haul truck. Lets do it now.” Ron said and took her hand walking to the door.

He got in the SUV with her.
“You have to look out for your self Em. So damn it I am proud of you.” He said and drove to the bank first. Then high tailed it over to the house. He went in first to make sure John didn’t get out on bond and was home.

“Emma you let me know what needs carried. I don’t want you lifting heavy stuff or heavy loads.” He said looking around.
 
“Yes…Yes lets get moving. You are owed what is in the accounts with interest. We will see what we can fit in my SUV. If need be I will rent a U-Haul truck. Lets do it now.”

Emma checked that she had all her papers and went out of the door with Ron. She was exhausted, but John was right; they had to move as quickly as possible.

“You have to look out for your self Em. So damn it I am proud of you.”

Emma felt somewhat mercenary as she transferred the greatest proportion of their joint funds into her own account. This was the first part of the plan. Later she would open up a different current account and continue to top up a savings account that she had started a year or so ago without John’s knowledge. It was intended to save funds to repay Ron some of the money that he had loaned them over the years, but unfortunately had never accumulated to any significant total.

They then set off to the house. Emma found she was nervous as they approached, but John went ahead of her to be sure that John was nowhere near by.

“Emma you let me know what needs carried. I don’t want you lifting heavy stuff or heavy loads.”

She nodded and headed upstairs to their bedroom.

Emma moved quickly taking down the two large holiday cases, she packed them with clothes, shoes and other wardrobe and makeup items. Next she took a holdall and loaded it with handbags, purses and photos and letters that she wanted to keep. A vanity case came next. This was filled with jewellery and keep sakes.

”I’m done in here ... “

She announced to Ron letting him take her things down the stairs and load them into the car.

She went downstairs then and looked around the room. She had no use for electricals or for any of the crystal and china that had been wedding day presents. Slowly she walked through the house, picking up an odd item here and there and finally selecting choice Cds and DVDs to finish filling the cardboard box she had found. All that remained were a few coats and pairs of walking shoes and boots that she bundled up into bin liners. And again she asked Ron to help her and he took the box and plastic bags to the car.

’I think that’s it ... ‘

She announced quietly.

”I took my papers and passport that first night ... there’s nothing more here that I really want to take now things have ended like this ... “

Her eyes strayed to the wedding photo on the wall and she struggled for composure.

”It all seemed such a waste ... and so final ... and despite the fact that there was no way she could continue in the marriage it hurt. Not to mention the guilt that weighed on her at clearing out her things in this secretive way... “
 
”I’m done in here ... “ Emma said to Ron downstairs.
Ron hurried up to the bedroom when Emma stated she was done with what she was taking. He carried some boxes and holiday cases with her clothes, shoes, and other wardrobe and makeup items. He also noticed handbags, purses and photos and letters that were keepsakes. He next loaded a vanity case with jewelry and other keepsakes.

He watched her as she filled a cardboard box slowly with odd items here and there finally choosing choice Cds and DVDs. She finally bundled up a few coats and pairs of walking shoes and boots. Ron took the box and plastic bags to his car.

Ron came back in and saw her deep in thought. He hugged from behind. He kissed her cheek.
“You know Em…it is natural to feel something not so good. But you did all you could in this marriage. You were so beautiful in your wedding dress and you were more than a good wife. It still hurts me…but John did this to himself much less to you.” He said and kissed her lips as she turned around.

He led her to his home and brought everything inside and her clothes and most of the stuff to her bedroom. He was happy that she wasn’t maybe feeling like such of a guest.
 
“You know Em…it is natural to feel something not so good. But you did all you could in this marriage. You were so beautiful in your wedding dress and you were more than a good wife.

Her eyes drifted to the wedding portrait and tears brimmed silently as Ron continued to try to make her feel better.

"It still hurts me…but John did this to himself much less to you.”

His kiss was comforting, but she moved away taking a last look round and follwed him to the car. She was silent during the drive back and said very little as Ron brought all her things inside.

"I'm whacked. I think I'll go lie down."

She refused offers of food and drink and headed to her own room.
Now rather thean being sparse, there was a stack of her stuff in her room.
She pulled of her jeans, top and bra and pulled her nightshirt over her and slid into bed. Downstairs she could hear Ron moving around, the sound of the TV or radio. Life went on as normal. John would carry on with his drinking and whoring. Yet she ... in just under 3 years John had met, wooed and totally fucked up her life. And yet packing up her things and walking away had been the most traumatic thing she'd ever done.

She pressed her eyes closed, partly to block out the sight of those cases, partly to stem to flow of tears that threatened. Curling into a ball and pulling the covers over her, Emma finally gave way to sobs.

No matter how sensible she had been, how practical she had taken the first steps to end her marriage.
And it hurt like hell.
 
"I'm whacked. I think I'll go lie down." Emma stated.

Ron had offered a bite of dinner or something to drink. He sadly looked as she climbed the stairs and knew she needed some alone time.

Ron left her alone until it was time to go to bed. He made his way up the stairs and opened her door and came inside. He sat on her bed.
“Em…I know you feel down sweetie. I want you to know that I am here for you as I promised from the beginning.” He says and rubs her arm and back.

“I know this sucks but you are starting a new beginning and one that I know you will be happy in. That is what matters.” Ron states and smiles.

“I love you Emma…I support whatever you want to do. For tonight…if you want to sleep in here or no strings attached I have two arms to hold you and love you. Tomorrow is another day dear.” He says and kisses her lips.
 
She must have slept and slept for a long time.
The room was dim when Ron came in to check on her.

“Em…I know you feel down sweetie. I want you to know that I am here for you as I promised from the beginning.”

She nodded and was grateful to him for giving him time to come to terms with things.

“I know this sucks but you are starting a new beginning and one that I know you will be happy in. That is what matters.”

She knew he was telling her the truth. It was just that she had to get through the next part before coming out the other side of this.

“I love you Emma…I support whatever you want to do. For tonight…if you want to sleep in here or no strings attached I have two arms to hold you and love you. Tomorrow is another day dear.”

She smiled as he kissed her and was pleased that she hadn't scared him off.

"I'm not quite ready to sleep yet. "

She told him softly. After all she had slept long and deep and only eaten breakfast so far.

"I think I'll have a bath if that's ok and then go downstairs for a bit ... "

She intended to search herself out a snack and to get her head straight.
 
"I'm not quite ready to sleep yet. " Emma stated

“Okay sweetie pie.” He said and smiled.

"I think I'll have a bath if that's ok and then go downstairs for a bit ... " she replied.

“If you need your back washed or need any other help in the tub…I have had training in those affairs..I was an Army Ranger and a Boy Scout before that my lady.” He said and chuckled.

Ron went to his bedroom. He didn’t want to take her personal space. This had to of finally hit home for her as she took her things physically from their home. He felt for her but there is a time when someone doesn’t want an arm around them…they need to cry it out and find their path ahead.

He stared at the ceiling for a while before drifting off to sleep.
 
Emma lingered in the bath. The deep heat seemed to soothe the aches of her body and take the edge of her heartache. She did not bother to get dressed and instead pulled the robe around her, securing the belt and wrapped a towel round her head before padding quietly downstairs.

She lit the lamp in the front room and crossed into the kitchen. She put on the kettle and went to the fridge. It was well stocked, but she didn't know just what it was she had an appetite for. In the end, she decided on toast topped with cheese. Carrying the plate and a steaming mug of tea into the front room Emma flicked on the TV and scanned through the channels and finally selected a nature channel; the documentary was not interesting, but it captured her attention fleetingly, as she ate, the images proving pleasantly mind numbing. So much so that she drifted in and out of consciousness, napping lightly, as the discarded plate lay beside the sofa.

It was less than two hours later that Emma stood and stretched, noticing how time had flown, she picked up the mug and plate and set it in the sink before turning to go upstairs. For long moments she paused outside Ron's door, uncertain if she could hear him sleeping. After just a brief hesitation she eased open the door and slipped inside the darkened room.

Silently she padded nearer to the bed, smiling fondly as she watched him sleep. Careful not to wake him, Emma pulled the towel off her now dry, if unkempt hair and slipped off her robe; then easing back the covers she slid in beside Ron, easing closer to the warmth of his body ...
 
Ron was quite asleep when he awoke to sensing someone in the room. Something he didn’t quite get over from his military days especially combat times. He smiled as he knew Emma had accepted his invitation. He stayed in the sleep mode though as to not make her hesitate to crawl in with her.

He felt her easing the covers forward and then sliding in beside him as she snuggled into his body. He especially liked that feeling her. He waited but eventually wrapped his arm over her. He gave her kiss on the shoulder and side of her forehead later in the night. Nothing sexual occurring just snuggling and pure feelings of love he has for her.

In the morning he kissed her cheek as he got up to go run.
“I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to hold you in arms as I sleep much less wake up and see your angel face Emma. I am going to go run and then we can do some breakfast.” He says and smiles a he kisses her forehead.

As he returns he smiles to see a spot of breakfast on the table and juices plus milk and tea. He kisses her cheek.
“You are a wonderful woman. I can’t say that enough or how I feel seeing as I walk through the door of our home.” He says and smiles. Emphasizing our.

“Em…I like having you here…so I do consider it our and not just my home.” He states and gives her a hug and kiss on the cheek and then neck and then a couple on the lips. He finally releases and smiles as he hugs her and then they sit down to eat.

“You are irresistible Em.” He says and smiles. They finish breakfast and then he showers and goes to work after kissing her goodbye for the day.

Ron’s day didn’t go as perfect as his home life. John finally calls him on his cell asking to get bailed out. A hearing occurs to terminate John and the official papers are served to him as Ron did bail him out and drove him home. John realized as he got home that Emma was there and moved out.
“You need to fucking move on John. It’s over just like your firefighter job and anything else in this town. I suggest you call the LT and see if he can pull strings for you back in the Rangers.” Ron suggested.

“That fucking bitch! All I did for her.” John said angrily. Ron grabbed his shirt collar.

“No bullshit man! You fucked up and you were wrong to her man. No more excuses. You had it all John…a good career and a good woman. You threw it away with your drinking and gambling. Much les laying your hands on her.” Ron said.

“I won’t listen..” John said and Ron pushed him to the couch on his butt.

“You will listen. My old man is the greatest man who ever lived. You even admired him. He served his country and always had a good job from the time he was 15 years old to today. He was putting food on his family’s table. He was good to his wife my mother. He didn’t do dumb shit like drink, gamble or any bullshit. He was and is a role model Johnny. He may not have been a movie star or a great athlete or a politician but he is a fucking hero for being a man and showing me at least how to be a man.” Ron said and then grabbed John’s chin.

“Your old man..” Ron started to say.

“Fuck you.” John said and Ron grabbed the back of his head and looked him eye to eye.

“Your old man was a drunk and whored around on your mom then walked out on your family when you and me were what? Eight? That is why damn it…I took you in not as my friend but as my brother. I wanted everything I had for you Johnny.” Ron said and John was stiff.

“I know where Emma is…but if you even try to see her much less hurt her…I will kill you. I will go to prison and get the lethal injection so help me god. You know looking in my eyes I speak the truth. If you need to vent your rage then do it on me now…but you fucking forget about Emma and move on…back to the rangers.” Ron says and steps back.

“So you are fucking her.” John says and puts his head down.

“No. But she is under my protection. Let it go. In fact John…” Ron says and grabs John by the collar again.

“I so wanted you two to make it…I would have done anything John. It fucking pisses me off that you have too much pride to allow your brother to help you in a tight financial spot. I love Emma but damn it I love you as well dumb ass. I was looking forward to the both of you having kids and being Uncle Ronnie. You pissed it away bro. Not to say you can’t get back up but you have to want to change and do better. I will be there for you if you decide you want that.” Ron says and walks toward the door. He drives home after.
 
Emma

Emma slept surprisingly well. She was sub-consciously aware of Ron’s arm around her and felt safe and protected. Even early in the morning as she blinked awake as he kissed her and prepared to go for his run.

“I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to hold you in arms as I sleep much less wake up and see your angel face Emma. I am going to go run and then we can do some breakfast.”

Though she was tempted, Emma did not linger long in Ron’s bed. She got up, showered and dressed, then went downstairs to wash the crockery from the night before and set the table for breakfast hoping to return the favour of him spoiling her with breakfast in bed the day before.

“You are a wonderful woman. I can’t say that enough or how I feel seeing as I walk through the door of our home.”

Emma blushed with pleasure at his words, not failing to notice how he referred to his place as OUR home ...

“Em…I like having you here…so I do consider it our and not just my home.”

He clarified before she could comment. She was overwhelmed by his generosity and his loving kisses and hugs. For months John had been so distant and she had longed to be held and kissed and generally feel loved, but in John’s mind as long as they continued to have ‘marital relations’ he felt his duty as a husband was fulfilled.

Emma refused to let her mind wander back to the recent relations between herself and her husband and sat instead to share breakfast with Ron before he went to work. Although she was sad to see him go and could not help but think about going away with him somewhere for them to get to know each other, Emma knew there were things that needed to be dealt with.

As Ron had told her to feel at home, she spent some time sorting through her things and unpacking clothes to put in the wardrobe and drawers of the guest room. She also took out some personal mementoes; a clock, a photo, an ornament that meant something to her personalising her room, but at the same time leaving any trace of John out of her new environment.

That done, she tidied and ensured the front room and kitchen were spotless before setting herself to find ingredients to create an evening meal for Ron. By the time he got home a chilli was bubbling appetisingly in the pan and a pan of simmering water was prepared to cook the rice in.
Unfortunately just one look told Emma that Ron was far from happy when he returned home. She eyed him uncertainly, not sure what to say or whether she should question him. But he was not John and even if he were regretting her moving in or if something else had upset him she knew he would not take it out on her.

She brought him a beer and set it down for him with a soft query.

” .. bad day...?”

And fervently hoped that she was not the cause of his mood...
 
"bad day?" Em asked.

“Oh, I am sorry Em.” Ron said and gave her a hug and peck on the cheek.

"Coming home to see your face...well a bad day no matter what is better than most of my best days when I have come home to an empty house." He says and smiles.

“I bailed John out of jail. He was served with papers that he was fired from the Fire Department. I had a heart to heart talk with him…that his marriage is over and he needs to move on. I hope I didn’t overstep my bounds. I told him I knew where you are and he better leave you alone.” Ron said somberly.

“I am going to make a call to the LT to help him get back in the Rangers…I don’t know what to do otherwise. He is going to just sit in that house and drink otherwise. I truly wanted the two of you to make it. I wanted to be Uncle Ron to your children. I don’t regret anything we have done or where we are at but…I just wish this whole thing was happening to the two of you. I love both of you so much.” Ron says hanging his head.

“I just want the best for everyone. I will do anything I can for you Em…You know that…but I am also going to help John get on with his life and work on quitting drinking much less take Anger Management or something. I can’t let him move on and do this to anyone else. I know he is a better man than that but he is lost.” Ron says and hugs Em.

“Dinner smells absolutely incredible.” He states and kisses her lips.
 
“Oh, I am sorry Em. Coming home to see your face...well a bad day no matter what is better than most of my best days when I have come home to an empty house.”

Emma smiled and got herself a drink, sitting down beside him in the kitchen merely waited in case he wanted to talk. It wasn’t her place to pry after all.

“I bailed John out of jail. He was served with papers that he was fired from the Fire Department. I had a heart to heart talk with him…that his marriage is over and he needs to move on.”

Emma paled at his words. She was sure that John would not have liked that little talk.

”I hope I didn’t overstep my bounds.
I told him I knew where you are and he better leave you alone.”


Emma’s eyes widened in shock.

”You told him that? But ... what if he guesses ...?”

Surely John would guess where she might be. Would he come after her and if he did ... ?

“I am going to make a call to the LT to help him get back in the Rangers…I don’t know what to do otherwise. He is going to just sit in that house and drink otherwise. I truly wanted the two of you to make it. I wanted to be Uncle Ron to your children. I don’t regret anything we have done or where we are at but…I just wish this whole thing was happening to the two of you. I love both of you so much.”

The happy marriage with kids and good old Uncle Ron was no longer a reality.
As Ron continued to talk about getting help for John and helping him to move on all Emma could think of was that John knew that Ron knew where she was!

“Dinner smells absolutely incredible.”

She smiled as he kissed her.

”It’s just chilli. I’ll put the rice on and it will be ready in 20 minutes or so .. but ... Ron ... “

She did not want to hurt his feelings, but she had to ask.

”So... what John he say ... about us ... about me...?”

She had no idea if he was just angry or if he could possibly be upset that she had left him.

”Did he send you with a message for me? “

She did not dare ask what John had said to Ron about the fact his best friend knew where his ex-wife had fled to.
” Did he ask you to get me to go back to him...?”

She queried.
 
”It’s just chilli. I’ll put the rice on and it will be ready in 20 minutes or so .. but ... Ron ... “ she said.

“It still smells wonderful. I do appreciate Em.” He replied. He knew she would not be comfortable with what he talked to John about.

”So... what John he say ... about us ... about me...?” she said.

“He is wrapped up in himself at this point Em. He is blaming everyone but himself. I told if he ever touched you again…I would gladly go to prison and receive lethal injection for what I would do to him. I grabbed his collar and looked him in the eye.” He replied.

”Did he send you with a message for me? “ she asked.

“Look he is angry at the world. I doubt he is taking much responsibility just yet. I think he maybe accepting the marriage is over but he is not turning that corner to pick himself up just yet.” Ron replies.

” Did he ask you to get me to go back to him...?” she asked.

“No…I am actually sorry to say. John is likely drinking and going to any bar he can drive to. You know how I feel about you Em…but I am sorry John is not acting like the man I thought I knew. I do faith maybe blind faith that he will turn the corner and maybe go back in the Rangers.” Ron replied.
 
Emma listened to Ron as he tried to soften the blow, but the truth was clear; John had said nothing about her, sent her no message and had not tried in anyway to get in touch with her or consider getting her to come back.

” ... well ... at least I know ... “

Was the only comment she made and turned instead to put the rice on and take out the crockery and cutlery to set the table. In a short time she had become familiar with his kitchen and added wine and beer glasses to the settings setting down a jug of water for her beer glass and another bottle of beer for Ron and a wine bottle that was already a third empty.

By the time the table was set, the food was ready to be served. Emma set a large bowl or rice and a casserole pan of chilli on the table. Again she topped up her wine glass and sipped at it as Ron helped himself to the food.

She had been silent, pensive even since Ron’s news about John, but as she piled rice anc chilli onto her plate, she told Ron quietly.

”I’m going to start procedings tomorrow ... if you can recommend a lawyer .... I’ll get it sorted whilst you’re at work ... the Dr can supply a report as evidence. It would be very straightforward ... “


It was a painful decision, but she knew that once she had handed this issue over to the courts that she would have a weight lifted from her shoulders ...
 
Ron was drinking his second beer Emma got for him. He wasn’t thinking a buzz was a bad thing but didn’t want to go past that. This whole thing had to be traumatic for Em. He made sure to help himself with a large helping rice and chili. The food would help in not letting the alcohol get too heavy.

”I’m going to start procedings tomorrow ... if you can recommend a lawyer .... I’ll get it sorted whilst you’re at work ... the Dr can supply a report as evidence. It would be very straightforward ... “ she said quietly.

“No and yes.” He said looking at her.

“No I will not let you do this alone. I said I would be there Em for you. I know this has to suck. At least let me be there for you to get it done and be able to move on. Yes, I have a list of good lawyers but know one in particular that can get this done for you the best. I also agree with using the doctor’s records if necessary.” He said and looked in her eyes.

“I love both of you…but I said since the first day I would stand by your side no matter what and during no matter what. This is really good Em.” He added

He helped her clean up and the dishes and glasses. A playful look was in his eye as the conversation became less somber. He flicked a little bit of water toward her.
 
“No I will not let you do this alone. I said I would be there Em for you. I know this has to suck. At least let me be there for you to get it done and be able to move on. Yes, I have a list of good lawyers but know one in particular that can get this done for you the best. I also agree with using the doctor’s records if necessary.”

Emma wasn't convinced.

"We can talk about that, but I think this is something I need to do on my own Ron ... "

She didn't dwell on their difference of opinion and joined him in loading her plate and balancing her consumption of wine with that of tumblers of water.

"This is really good Em.”

Emma smiled.

"I love cooking. Perhaps I should get a career in catering..?"

It was one of several ideas she had considered in the past, but had been unable to work throughout the recent year of her marriage, or rather, John had not made work possible for her.

The meal was companionable; eating together, clearing together and washing up together. Ron had had several beers and Emma's bottle of wine was 2/3 empty. Despite the earlier conversations, both seemed to be in a good mood.

It was Ron who flicked the water first.
Emma ignored it, but found the water splash repeated. A look in Ron's direction told her he was in a mischievous mood. She flicked water at him and continued to wash up. Again he flicked back and although she seemed to ignore him at first, she soon scooped up water in both hands and threw it over him, scooting clear of the sink and out of reach in case he had any intention to retaliate!
 
"I love cooking. Perhaps I should get a career in catering..?" she stated.

“I do know a lot of possible customers I could help you get started with. I new people almost every week in the real estate field.” He replies.

She took a good amount of water in both hands and drenched his shirt.
“Really? A couple of flicks and you nuke me.” He says laughing. He watches her movement as he remove his shirt and hangs over a chair.

“You know this can’t go unanswered.” He chases her to the living room and onto the couch. He rolls around wrestling with her on the couch then the floor as she lands on top of him.

With both hands he touches her face and kisses her passionately.
“I don’t want to control you Em…that is abusive behavior. I will stand by your side if you want me there like at the doctor.” He whispers in between kissing.
 
Emma

“Really? A couple of flicks and you nuke me.”

She laughed with him and watched as he took the soaked shirt off and hung it over a chair.

“You know this can’t go unanswered.”

Emma had expected as much, but gave a squeal and headed for the living room as he chased after her. For long moments they faced each other, circling like prowling lions. Realising that she was trapped in the room, Emma decided to attempt to dart past Ron to the door, but he was too quick and caught hold of her and tumbled her onto the couch.

Breathless with laughter, she squirmed and tussled to free herself, resulting instead in them both rolling over to fall onto the floor, this time with Emma looking up at Ron above her.
Her breath was rapid, the laughter stilling as their eyes locked. She finding the weight of his body and the way his hands pinned her to the floor seemed to be making her pulses race.
And yet, as ever, she felt safe. She smiled at him then and shivered as he reached out a hand and stroked her face, his touch infinitely tender, movingly so.

The kiss was unexpected. His mouth moved to hers, pressing with growing passion and demand, a need she met and fuelled. All the time Emma knew that she only had to murmur a protest, try to pull away and he would release her instantly. But she had no wish to go anywhere away from Ron.

As they drew apart briefly, Emma felt her senses swimming.

“I don’t want to control you Em…that is abusive behavior.
I will stand by your side if you want me there like at the doctor.”


He was speaking of her divorce proceedings she realised.

” ... ok ... “

She conceded with a nod. If he were around to call upon should the need arise, she wouldn’t object and like the Doctor’s there would be parts that she wanted to deal with alone, if she had the strength to and if not ... Ron would be there.

He was kissing her once more, his body covering hers. His length pressed against her body, his chest bare seemed to radiate heat through to her body. She reached out a hand and ran her fingers along his chest, exploring for the first time. His torso was lean and strong and she found herself wondering if the rest of Ron’s body was of a similar ... physique.

Their kisses deepened. His tongue had eased into Emma’s mouth and her tongue flicked to meet his. A muffled moan escaped her as both hand moved to mould against his body and to draw his body down to make closer contact with her own ...
 
Back
Top