What are you fuckers reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fata Morgana

Deckel Edged
Anything blown your socks off lately?

I know there's a thread for this somewhere but can't find it.

Tell me.

Latest Jack reacher to come into paperback will be started while I'm sitting in a tree Saturday

I've recently finished an Oliver Reed biog - What Fresh Lunacy Is This - Robert Sellers, which was bloody fab.

I've got some old fashioned ghost story/haunting ones but am saving them to read over the Christmas fortnight.

I'm just about to start The White Hotel by D M Thomas because Mariella Frostrup has been singing it's praises.

Currently part way through:

The Gun
Pursuit Of Honor
The Vikings
Winter World
Best Science Writing 2010 (so sue me, I'm a few years behind)
History Of Necrotizing Enterocolitis Investigation
Acute Necrotizing Enterocolitis In Infancy: A Review Of 64 Cases
The Walking Dead Volume 2

I'm reading (well listening to) "The Infernal Devices book 1: Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare at the moment.

After that I'll do my annual reading of "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Defender Of The Realm (1940-1965) by William Manchester and Paul Reid. New York, NY 2012.

The Years of Lyndon Johnson: The Passage of Power by Robert A. Caro. New York, NY 2012.

I discovered Mo Hayder, read everything she's written and am now stuck waiting for a new release. If anyone's read her, and can recommend a similar writer, I would be grateful.

I discovered Mo Hayder, read everything she's written and am now stuck waiting for a new release. If anyone's read her, and can recommend a similar writer, I would be grateful.

I read one of hers a few years back that was strange and compelling. I think it was called Pig Island.

Smut recently. Not very decent smut I guess since I can't even think of titles. I read the Beekeeper's Apprentice and really enjoyed it! And I'm partially through the Yoga Sutras by Patanjali. I think that's how his name is spelled. I can't be bothered to look it up.

Presently reading

THE CHOIRBOYS by Joseph Wambaugh
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN by Cormac McCarthy
COGANS TRADE by George V. Higgins
MR. PARADISE by Elmore Leonard
GODS POCKET by Pete Dexter

I read one of hers a few years back that was strange and compelling. I think it was called Pig Island.

I discovered her with Pig Island, too. It was really creepy and plot twisty. Her other books are just as good. I'm kind of obsessed with her.

Karin Slaughter

Ah, there we go. I've read a few of hers, but Google tells me not nearly all. Thanks, Johnny.

Also, I think it was you who mentioned NOS482 in another thread. I was really surprised by that one. Really pleasantly surprised.

I can't remember if that one was crime or horror, or a bit of both?

S J Bolton has written some good ones - check her out. But you MUST read them in sequence. They are crime but ghosty/creepy thrown in. Her last three (I think) have all been about the same female detective but all her books are sorta connected.

If you like horror Adam Nevill is aces. His The Ritual creeped me the fuck out. F G Cottam is another British author I love, his are ghost stories usually based around celtic myths and figures in history.

One I devoured recently was called Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. It was that good I was tempted to ring in sick at work to continue reading. Gripping stuff.

I discovered her with Pig Island, too. It was really creepy and plot twisty. Her other books are just as good. I'm kind of obsessed with her.

I've not read any others so I might have to now! Which of her others are creepy? I love creepy.

Recently its been the game of thrones series. Read the first four. Before that was Keith Richards, buddy guy, and Eric Clapton bios

While you're ordering "The True Believer," order "The Ordeal of Change."

It should take no more than an afternoon.

Maybe longer if, as I suspect, your lips move when you read...

AJ can't even contribute to a reading reco thread without hurling an insult.:rolleyes: Do I detect an inferiority complex behind the bravado?

I can't remember if that one was crime or horror, or a bit of both?

S J Bolton has written some good ones - check her out. But you MUST read them in sequence. They are crime but ghosty/creepy thrown in. Her last three (I think) have all been about the same female detective but all her books are sorta connected.

If you like horror Adam Nevill is aces. His The Ritual creeped me the fuck out. F G Cottam is another British author I love, his are ghost stories usually based around celtic myths and figures in history.

One I devoured recently was called Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. It was that good I was tempted to ring in sick at work to continue reading. Gripping stuff.

I've not read any others so I might have to now! Which of her others are creepy? I love creepy.

Now I'm all itchy to get to the library. I LOVE creepy. The creepier, the better.
And after reading Hayder and a few others, I've decided British writers do creepy better than American writers. Especially when it comes to ghosts and whodunnits.

I really don't know how to classify Mo Hayder. Creepy thriller crime? There are tiny threads of supernatural woven throughout. I'll quote Pig Island's wiki page...The novel is nominally a thriller which mixes elements of the detective novel with more overt horror influences. I would say the rest of her novels are written in the same style. The bulk of them follow a detective inspector named Jack Caffery. He first appears in Birdman. The most recent Caffery novel is called Poppet, and it was pee-my-pants creepy. Her most critically acclaimed novel is probably Tokyo, one of 3 books outside of the Caffery series. All of her books are graphic. And they're all fantastic.

And now I sound like a weirdo super fan. :eek:

I mentioned NOS4A2. Have you read that? It's by Stephen King's son, Joe Hill. It's mega creepy. IMO, it's as good (though definitely different) as a lot of King's works.

Can you tell it's been forever since I had the opportunity to talk books?

Now I'm all itchy to get to the library. I LOVE creepy. The creepier, the better.
And after reading Hayder and a few others, I've decided British writers do creepy better than American writers. Especially when it comes to ghosts and whodunnits.

I really don't know how to classify Mo Hayder. Creepy thriller crime? There are tiny threads of supernatural woven throughout. I'll quote Pig Island's wiki page...The novel is nominally a thriller which mixes elements of the detective novel with more overt horror influences. I would say the rest of her novels are written in the same style. The bulk of them follow a detective inspector named Jack Caffery. He first appears in Birdman. The most recent Caffery novel is called Poppet, and it was pee-my-pants creepy. Her most critically acclaimed novel is probably Tokyo, one of 3 books outside of the Caffery series. All of her books are graphic. And they're all fantastic.

And now I sound like a weirdo super fan. :eek:

I mentioned NOS4A2. Have you read that? It's by Stephen King's son, Joe Hill. It's mega creepy. IMO, it's as good (though definitely different) as a lot of King's works.

Can you tell it's been forever since I had the opportunity to talk books?

Ooh. I looked at Poppet but put it back because I must have seen it was a follow-on. I must try these then. Yes I think British writers do creepy better. Adam Nevill's stuff is insidious. Try The Ritual (I remember the first half really got under my skin) and Apartment 16 (might be wrong number there but you'll find it). I have his new one about a haunted house full of spooky antique dolls but am saving that for Christmas reading. He's strictly spook where as S J Bolton is creepy-thriller-crime as you say!

I've not read Joe Hill's new one. I liked his others though and writes very much like his Dad. Recently finished Doctor Sleep by King and loved that and was prepared to be disappointed but was pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back