This thread is going to the dogs...

Why do you even have to put them down? And it sounds like it's happened multiple times.

Just let them live their life and die in their own time.
No offense, but I'm at a loss, how is this post positive?

"Ok, I've decided I'm killing you now, so save a place in heaven for me!"
"WTF?!"

Or do I miss some very important point here?


Living with an animal that you KNOW will not live longer than you will, and for which you have the ultimate responsibility in terms of welfare and care means you have to recognize that you may have to make this choice some day. Good animal husbandry means that you do the best you can humanly do for them. And, when they get to the point they are sick, broken, in pain, incurable, or whatever condition besets them, you do what you are supposed to do. What you are required to do. What is demanded and expected of you.

Both from a legal and moral obligation.

It is NEVER painless emotionally. Nor is it done on a whim or spur of the moment. Euthanasia is done because it is the best course of action. Not for you, but for them.

I'm responsible. I accept the consequences.



Shank, my apologies for derailing your thread. Your guys look happy.
 
Shank, my apologies for derailing your thread. Your guys look happy.


No problem with the "derail". I have come to watch hi-jacked threads with interest over the years here. It has been interesting to say the least where this went so soon.

They are happy, I think, and expecting a treat for coming in from the backyard when called...

:heart:
 
File0021.jpg
 
With humans there's a distinction between "ready to die" and "actively seeking death", which has a lot to do with religion. Catholicism says you've got to wait until God decides it's time, but there are plenty of elderly Catholics wishing God would hurry up with it.

It's getting late and I don't have the time for a more articulate response to this just now, so I'm just going to say: fuck off, and take that guilt-trip bullshit with you.

My mother spent the last three years of her life going to bed every night praying that she wouldn't wake up the following morning.

She'd loved walking - heart disease and a crumbling arthritic hip stopped that.
She'd loved reading, cooking, knitting - glaucoma and macular degeneration taking her sight had stopped that.

She had two choices - take the painkillers and spend her life asleep, or stay awake in severe pain. Even the simplest tasks such as getting up in the morning were simply agonies to be endured.

She didn't make any attempts to end her own life but ahe genuinely wanted to die. There was no cure for her conditions and palliative medication had a limited effect. She did say that she wished someone could take her for 'the big needle'. And I'm fairly sure, listening to her contemporaries, that she wasn't alone in her wish.

So yes. What you said in your final sentence, B.

(And sorry for the derail again :eek:)
 
I have never ever been so lucky as to have a constant canine companion. But I do love all of my friend's dogs, and they love me (one of my friends even gets mad, says the dog is happier to see me than she is to see her :p)

Here's one of my favourites, a weekly attendee of our local farmer's market. The balloon guy made a friend for him one week :heart:

tumblr_okcvuuu7Iu1ttoj3bo1_400.jpg
 
And of course I had to stop and talk to the lady walking this dog:

tumblr_okcw5pajBl1ttoj3bo1_400.jpg


He had just had his pedicure and she didn't want his feet getting dirty :D
 
Well hell. I tried to keep silent on this, but I just can't.

To Nezhul.

It sounds as though you have been exposed to someone who had a pet of convenience. A showpiece, or a purchased companion meant for a child who didn't care, or whatever the circumstance might have been. A perceived inconvenience in the long run. And I'm sorry for that.

Yes, there are people out there who don't see their wards as family members, who can't be bothered with hassles of daily care, the expense of maintaining health, the inconveniences of an aging critter in their home. Those people certainly do exist. Any vet employee will tell you that people bring their animals in all the time and say.. Just put him under, we don't want him anymore and can't find a home for him. People take animals to the pound all the time. Not found on the street animals, but animals from their own household. Yes, it happens.

But you probably won't find those people here. Here we are celebrating beloved family members, cherished children, beloved pets that we agonized over for days, weeks, months before making that dreaded trip to the vet to bestow that agonizing kindness that we are forced into by our own conscience. Unwillingly, unable to do it and to not do it. Unable to forgive ourselves either way. May you never understand, but I will feel sad for you in that as well.
 
Shank's lap last night while watching TV....


tumblr_okcyfoBpeu1u7qdbxo1_540.jpg


..both sleeping beauties. :heart:
 
It is NEVER painless emotionally. Nor is it done on a whim or spur of the moment. Euthanasia is done because it is the best course of action. Not for you, but for them.

Yeah, this. I cried for days after saying goodbye to each of my dogs, and it was two years before I got another pet. (Even then, mostly because she picked me.) They're family.
 
But you probably won't find those people here. Here we are celebrating beloved family members, cherished children, beloved pets that we agonized over for days, weeks, months before making that dreaded trip to the vet to bestow that agonizing kindness that we are forced into by our own conscience. Unwillingly, unable to do it and to not do it. Unable to forgive ourselves either way.

Oh CnC - :rose::rose:

myvyVAXl.jpg
 
Back
Top