Long time, no see

PennLady

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Posts
9,412
Hi everyone.

I have been away from the boards for quite a long time, I know, but I think of you all from time to time. Writing is something I still want to do, but never seem to find the time for, and so I don't always feel like my contributions to the forums will be too useful.

But I had some news I wanted to share, and I've always had some support here, so I thought I would even though it's more a venting/musing thing on my part.

So I'm 47 and had a mammogram, then had another, and a biopsy and some invasive cells were found. Which means I have breast cancer, but don't panic! :) The prognosis is good, according to my doctor. It looks like it has been caught early, and a treatment plan is in the works.

I will have an MRI this Friday, a consult with a plastic surgeon the following week, a meeting with my doctor (and surgeon) the week after that, and then we will set a date for the surgery (mastectomy and reconstruction). The doctor recommends treatment within 30 days, and we are within that range.

As one can imagine, it's a little freaky -- and damn annoying -- to have to deal with this. Mr. Penn and the PennKids are handling it well, and I'm in a good health network. My doctors' offices and the hospital are close by -- all within 15-20 minutes -- so no long trips are necessary. Also aside from this, I'm in general good health; could stand to lose some pounds, but then most of us can.

But there have been fun things too! PennGirl is learning the trumpet (it's loud); PennBoy is still moving out with his bass. Mr. Penn and I have taken PennBoy to two concerts with another later this month (which luckily does not conflict with treatment). We saw Volbeat and Metallica in Philly, and then Avenged Sevenfold later in NJ (they had to cancel the Philly show, then they arranged a free makeup concert -- I love these guys). Coming up: Ghost. I seem to be in a mid-life metal renaissance.

So, for those who read, thanks for doing so. No replies are necessary. For the ladies: get those follow-up mammograms. I was tempted not to because of (possibly) insurance deductible. Because they were diagnostic, they were covered. But please, do it regardless.

Love,
PennLady
 
'No reply necessary' - screw that :D

Prayers, wishes for your health and happiness sweetheart

Take care of yourself:rose:
 
Sorry you haven't been around. Sorrier that you're having health problems. Best of luck on getting that cleared up and on with your life.
 
Kind regards and good luck, PL. I'm having my own issues, like fairly suddenly going nearly blind -- while driving cross-continent. It's not medically life-threatening but I'm a real hazard on the road now. I'm reminded of an organ-drenched Firesign Theater hymn:

O blinding light
O light that blinds
I cannot see
Look out for me!

I'm not sure if replacement retinas are in my future. I'll take a Geordie LaForge sensory visor, thank you. Tastefully engraved, of course. No tentacles.
 
There was a thread a short while ago which asked why all the 'regulars' had gone.
Your absence was noted.
I urge you to log in a time or two, if only to catch up with who's asking what. Have you seen TxRad's "The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)" ?
Just pop in a say hello; then we'd know all is well.

Good news on the early finding of a problem. Good Luck with it all.
:rose:
 
Hugs! Have had a couple lumps removed myself, without finding anything. I was scared to death, regardless. Hope you're getting wonderful support. :rose: I'm around if you ever need to talk.
 
Hey PL, it's good to see you! I'm glad they caught it early, and that you've still got room for the fun things in life. Best wishes for the surgery and recovery.
 
Thanks for sharing, PL. It sounds as if you're in good hands. Stay strong. :rose:
 
Best of luck, PennLady. In my experience, it's best to get in and out of the hospital as quickly as possible. The food at home is so much better. :)
 
Aw Pennlady, really sorry to hear...about your health problems. Best of luck and Get well wishes. I have missed not having you around, your posts were always relevant and sometimes humorous.

Good Luck. :rose::heart::kiss:
 
60 years ago cancer was a death sentence, today most people survive. Be optimistic.
JBJ
 
Best wishes, sounds like it was caught early, I hope all works out well.
 
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Knew I could count on support from people here.

I am being as optimistic as I can, and it's pretty easy, especially since the doctor seems optimistic herself. It'll probably be up and down as various markers come and go, like the MRI and waiting for results, but so far so good and I generally have a rule of not worrying until I have something to worry about.

Sam -- yes, I'm hoping the hospital stay is no more than one night. As for the food, I'm planning to prep some before I go. My parents will come up while I have the surgery and for a while after, and it occurred to me my mom hasn't really had to cook for more than two people except for special occasions for quite a while. Plus I can't trust Mr. Penn to cook. ;) PennBoy is trying his hand at cooking, and doing well, but don't think he's up for this task yet.

Hypoxia -- I am so sorry to hear about your vision problems. That would scare me as much as anything. I'm all for the visor, tentacles optional.

I'll keep everyone posted. Helps to write about it, but then I'm sure a lot of us write as therapy to some degree. I also have resources from the doctor's office on support groups and such; not sure I want that, or want it yet. I find I'm still iffy on looking through the material. Even though it's informational and no doubt helpful, it's a little overwhelming.

Thanks again everyone, and I'll check in at the Coffee Shop thread.
 
Very sorry to hear about the cancer. I'm glad they caught it early. Have those breast checked often. I know people who will do it for free. ;)

Do come by the cafe, we're a friendly bunch. :rose::kiss:
 
Wishing you the best, PennLady! I'm glad you've got lots of support and help.
 
Very sorry to hear about the cancer. I'm glad they caught it early. Have those breast checked often. I know people who will do it for free. ;)

Do come by the cafe, we're a friendly bunch. :rose::kiss:

Thanks. :)

I'll tell you the problem, though -- It wasn't caught by my GYN during the breast exam at my annual appointment, nor by myself during the normal course of things. There didn't seem to be any lumps to find. So it's a little scary to think if I hadn't followed through on the exam...

Yes, I've been over. :)
 
Best wishes to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers Sweet PennLady. :rose:
 
Good luck PennLady. I'm sorry to hear you're having health problems. I'm glad you caught it early. It was smart of you to go through with the check up.
 
Back
Top