Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Editor's Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
How do I delete stories after they have been approved?

Hi.

I really did not want to create another thread but I felt that this was a separate question that probably needed its own thread.

What is the process for removing your stories?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
geronimo_appleby
walking the Earth
 
geronimo_appleby's Avatar
 
geronimo_appleby is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Viet-fucking-Nam!
Posts: 73,344
resubmit it with 'delete' in the notes section.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo_appleby View Post
resubmit it with 'delete' in the notes section.
Perfect - thanks geronimo appleby.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
geronimo_appleby
walking the Earth
 
geronimo_appleby's Avatar
 
geronimo_appleby is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Viet-fucking-Nam!
Posts: 73,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiseFromAshes View Post
Perfect - thanks geronimo appleby.
uhm ... you might have to add delete to the title, too. but, if memory serves, just put delete in the title, submit text as you did and also put delete in the notes section.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo_appleby View Post
uhm ... you might have to add delete to the title, too. but, if memory serves, just put delete in the title, submit text as you did and also put delete in the notes section.
I have a series (three chapters) to delete... is it not suitable enough to just write down exactly what needs to be deleted?

I really don't have the energy right now to copy and paste the story. It seems odd to read that but I'm just a bit deflated right now. I just wished that it was much easier to do.

Plus it seems like a lot of work for the Lit. editors to have to delete the three 'dummy' submissions when one 'dummy' submission could suffice - provided that there are clear instructions.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
DeYaKen
Really Really Experienced
 
DeYaKen is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South West England
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiseFromAshes View Post
I have a series (three chapters) to delete... is it not suitable enough to just write down exactly what needs to be deleted?

I really don't have the energy right now to copy and paste the story. It seems odd to read that but I'm just a bit deflated right now. I just wished that it was much easier to do.

Plus it seems like a lot of work for the Lit. editors to have to delete the three 'dummy' submissions when one 'dummy' submission could suffice - provided that there are clear instructions.
If, as you say, you are feeling deflated, this may not be the best time to decide on this action. You may feel differently in a couple of weeks. Give it a bit of time and if you still feel the same just delete them one by one.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYaKen View Post
If, as you say, you are feeling deflated, this may not be the best time to decide on this action. You may feel differently in a couple of weeks. Give it a bit of time and if you still feel the same just delete them one by one.
I am feeling deflated, yes - mostly because of the comments on a situation that I had no control over.

What hurts is hearing from readers that they were 'disappointed'.

I didn't want to misrepresent my story as 'incest' but unfortunately, there is no other category to put it under - mostly due to the fact that the character 'got hard' from watching her mom in a porno video (but it never goes past that). It wouldn't really qualify as incest, technically speaking.

So, as a result, it gets a really low score.

All in all, I'm just done.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
geronimo_appleby
walking the Earth
 
geronimo_appleby's Avatar
 
geronimo_appleby is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Viet-fucking-Nam!
Posts: 73,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiseFromAshes View Post
I am feeling deflated, yes - mostly because of the comments on a situation that I had no control over.

What hurts is hearing from readers that they were 'disappointed'.

I didn't want to misrepresent my story as 'incest' but unfortunately, there is no other category to put it under - mostly due to the fact that the character 'got hard' from watching her mom in a porno video (but it never goes past that). It wouldn't really qualify as incest, technically speaking.

So, as a result, it gets a really low score.

All in all, I'm just done.
scores mean fuck-all.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo_appleby View Post
scores mean fuck-all.
Sorry, I should have indicated that the comments do reflect the poor score.

Every single comment of some sort indicates that the story is in the wrong section and therefore, gets a poor comment from people.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
geronimo_appleby
walking the Earth
 
geronimo_appleby's Avatar
 
geronimo_appleby is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Viet-fucking-Nam!
Posts: 73,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiseFromAshes View Post
Sorry, I should have indicated that the comments do reflect the poor score.

Every single comment of some sort indicates that the story is in the wrong section and therefore, gets a poor comment from people.
but the comments don't indicate that the story is without merit?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo_appleby View Post
but the comments don't indicate that the story is without merit?
The comments are too focused upon the fact that the story is in the wrong section.

That to me, indicates that the story won't be well-received for where it is placed rather than what it is about.

I don't exactly blame them. It is in the incest/taboo category. This is a story where it's in the wrong section, where the audience will be expecting something else.

It's like putting a consensual story in the non-consen. It's going to get flamed badly.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 31,895
As I noted on the other thread, if you had gotten it posted to Exhibitionist & Voyeur, you would also have gotten comments that it was misplaced and should be in Incest.

What is mostly needed is for you to write what you want to write and just blank out the negative comments. This isn't the New Yorker and your story is what it is.
__________________
"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit." -- Lovecraft68

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
As I noted on the other thread, if you had gotten it posted to Exhibitionist & Voyeur, you would also have gotten comments that it was misplaced and should be in Incest.

What is mostly needed is for you to write what you want to write and just blank out the negative comments. This isn't the New Yorker and your story is what it is.
Censoring negative comments isn't my thing - well it's nice to get flowery comments from across the board.

But... not at the cost of free speech.

It might actually just be better if I just re-write another chapter, but not before I make changes from the other chapters.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
_Lynn_
In search of 'soon'
 
_Lynn_'s Avatar
 
_Lynn_ is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 44,530
Ditto what SR said.

Write what you want. Ignore the comments and scores. You're giving strangers an awful lot of power over what . . . or if . . . you write.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
lovecraft68
Not one of the cool kids
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 17,158
I don't think its a matter of people having power over him.

I think its frustration. Its one thing to endure some bad comments and votes based on whether or not the story is bad or not, but another to be hammered because the thing really does not belong in incest.

Pilot and I went around about this before and I will say it again. I know full well the meaning of taboo outside of lit means things other than incest.

But here, which is where we are writing, it has become synonymous with incest. Whether that is "right" or not is irrelevant. it is what it is and when people here are reading in that category that is what they want.

Same thing with Pilot's example of gay, no matter what else the story revolves around, just the hint of it gets it dumped there.
__________________
The first Literotica tag team competition is underway! Check them out, vote comment and PM me your guesses!

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions


The Best 3 minutes of news I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDdmtJCEWPA
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
_Lynn_
In search of 'soon'
 
_Lynn_'s Avatar
 
_Lynn_ is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 44,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
I don't think its a matter of people having power over him.

I think its frustration. Its one thing to endure some bad comments and votes based on whether or not the story is bad or not, but another to be hammered because the thing really does not belong in incest.

Pilot and I went around about this before and I will say it again. I know full well the meaning of taboo outside of lit means things other than incest.

But here, which is where we are writing, it has become synonymous with incest. Whether that is "right" or not is irrelevant. it is what it is and when people here are reading in that category that is what they want.

Same thing with Pilot's example of gay, no matter what else the story revolves around, just the hint of it gets it dumped there.
I get the category thing.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 31,895
I think I've made clear that I would put it in incest as well. It's three Lit. pages of the guy watching his mother having sex on Web sites (and describing it to the reader) and getting hard from it. If he didn't want it in incest, he should have used a neighbor or one of his mother's friends. He wants it to be his mother because he wants to do an end run around the incest rules. That he's set it up to get criticism is his set up, not anything the Web site is doing to him. As I noted twice, if it had been put in any other category, he would have had just as many comments that it was in the wrong category--because it's an incest story.

And, no, LC, we didn't have a discussion on Taboo related to this thread. Taboo was brought up by the OP who said he wished it could have been put in the Taboo category--and me pointing that it was put in the Taboo category: Incest/Taboo. That's the name of the category.
__________________
"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit." -- Lovecraft68

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiseFromAshes View Post
Censoring negative comments isn't my thing - well it's nice to get flowery comments from across the board.

But... not at the cost of free speech.

It might actually just be better if I just re-write another chapter, but not before I make changes from the other chapters.
I don't think SR mean to literally blank out comments by deleting them, but you have that option, or the option to not have anonymous comments.

It does sound like, from what I've read here, that incest is the appropriate category. Would it make that much difference if it wasn't the son? If it was a friend situation of some kind? Is the point that the son is getting hard watching the mom, or that a young guy is getting off watching an older woman he knows?

And I wholeheartedly second the advice you've received here about comments. If they are just complaining that the story is "misplaced," as opposed to it being a bad story on the merits, then don't take it to heart. It's not something you had much control over.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I think I've made clear that I would put it in incest as well. It's three Lit. pages of the guy watching his mother having sex on Web sites (and describing it to the reader) and getting hard from it. If he didn't want it in incest, he should have used a neighbor or one of his mother's friends. He wants it to be his mother because he wants to do an end run around the incest rules. That he's set it up to get criticism is his set up, not anything the Web site is doing to him. As I noted twice, if it had been put in any other category, he would have had just as many comments that it was in the wrong category--because it's an incest story.

And, no, LC, we didn't have a discussion on Taboo related to this thread. Taboo was brought up by the OP who said he wished it could have been put in the Taboo category--and me pointing that it was put in the Taboo category: Incest/Taboo. That's the name of the category.
But it isn't incest, by definition.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incest

What the board deems as 'incest' is a whole different thing, though. I admit that I did not foresee this problem when I wrote this story. I wanted it to be close but not exactly incest.

You're making it seem like I'm an idiot for not knowing what 'incest' is, similar to one of my comments in the story.

Incest is defined in the above link. Where in my story does it fit the category of 'incest'?

People react different under circumstances. You might be turned on at the fact that your wife is being fucked by another man. Some people would be horrified. It is dependent on the context.

Taboo, on the other hand, should be split up as a separate category, instead of being fused with incest.

Incest =/= Taboo

What is taboo is not necessarily incest.


I'm arguing over semantics really, because it's not like the site will change its categories over one story. I'm sure I'm not the only person that will run into this problem and I won't be the last.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #20
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 31,895
No. On this Web site, the Web site defines what incest is. It obviously is incest by the Web site's definition. Perhaps you should buy the Web site and then you can decide what the Web site's definitions are and how categories are going to be set up. Or you can delete as you say you want to do and find another Web site that agrees with your definitions.

This is your problem, not the Web site's, because of how you wrote the story. I have yet to see your explanation why this has to be a mother/son work. As written, it's incest. The son stays glued to the laptop for three Lit. pages of watching his mother have sex and it makes him hard. (So, yes, I do think you are an idiot for holding that this isn't an incestuous setup.) In a normal family relationship, a family member couldn't continue watching that. Until you come to grips on having to have this a mother/son work, I'll just assume that it's the incest angle that's important to you with this story.
__________________
"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit." -- Lovecraft68

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68

Last edited by sr71plt : 05-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #21
geronimo_appleby
walking the Earth
 
geronimo_appleby's Avatar
 
geronimo_appleby is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Viet-fucking-Nam!
Posts: 73,344
novels and novellas is a good category for cross-cat submissions. ok, you have to meet the criteria in terms of word count, and you might not get the views, but if you put a little foreword in at the start of the piece - just to give an idea of the themes involved; that might work.

whatever - do NOT be disheartened.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 31,895
Don't see where this addresses the issue, which was that the editor put it in a different category than the author wanted it. Incest/Taboo remains a trump category. I don't see where submitting it to Novels/Novellas would have prevented it going into Incest/Taboo--or would do so now. Can always request a change from Laurel, which presumably the OP has done during the unspinning of this thread, because only Laurel is going to make a change.
__________________
"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit." -- Lovecraft68

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Don't see where this addresses the issue, which was that the editor put it in a different category than the author wanted it. Incest/Taboo remains a trump category. I don't see where submitting it to Novels/Novellas would have prevented it going into Incest/Taboo--or would do so now. Can always request a change from Laurel, which presumably the OP has done during the unspinning of this thread, because only Laurel is going to make a change.
I'm not going to even bother replying to your first post after my 'incest' definition one because it seemed to be just a re-hash of what is already evident - that the story is roughly categorized as 'incest'.

I have changed my mind regarding the deletion of the story entirely and I'm just going to write a chapter that makes the story go full-blown incest, which would save the story from further scrutiny.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
TheRiseFromAshes
Experienced
 
TheRiseFromAshes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
I don't think SR mean to literally blank out comments by deleting them, but you have that option, or the option to not have anonymous comments.

It does sound like, from what I've read here, that incest is the appropriate category. Would it make that much difference if it wasn't the son? If it was a friend situation of some kind? Is the point that the son is getting hard watching the mom, or that a young guy is getting off watching an older woman he knows?

And I wholeheartedly second the advice you've received here about comments. If they are just complaining that the story is "misplaced," as opposed to it being a bad story on the merits, then don't take it to heart. It's not something you had much control over.
Oh well. Thanks for the sympathy.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.