Author's notes

tehuti88

Virgin
Hi there, long time no post. Still waffling and afraid of posting any of my work here lest it get rejected or something. ;_;

My current concern is author's notes. By that, I mean the explanatory notes attached to the beginning of a story. I'm a series story writer, meaning I reuse the same characters over and over. Someone unfamiliar with my storylines might jump into an erotic piece of mine and have no clue who these guys are or what is their dynamic, or even more problematic, certain details that take place in the story might not make sense unless explained upfront; for example, backstory. (I should clarify that my erotic pieces are sort of like "side stories" or "scenes" that often depend upon my nonerotic writing for their backstories.)

Therefore, I have the tendency to use author's notes at the beginning to explain all this stuff. (In them I might also include certain details about what inspired the piece, etc.) And sometimes those notes can get pretty long.

(ETA, I just did a word count on the first story I had thoughts of submitting here. Main story text is approx. 39,400 words. Story notes are approx. 2100 words. I'm not even sure that's the longest author's note I've written, either.)

Another erotica site I'm on does not allow lengthy author's notes and I have to use a workaround involving posting a link to the full notes in their forum (this is permissible). I know that would not be allowed here. So...are author's notes, much less very lengthy ones, permitted in the body of the stories submitted here?

(I'm already aware that a reader could get sick and tired of browsing through my notes and lose all interest in the story...that would be my problem. Perhaps the notes should be appended to the story's end instead?)

Thank you to whoever can answer my ridiculous questions. :eek:

Last edited:
Hi there, long time no post. Still waffling and afraid of posting any of my work here lest it get rejected or something. ;_;

My current concern is author's notes. By that, I mean the explanatory notes attached to the beginning of a story. I'm a series story writer, meaning I reuse the same characters over and over. Someone unfamiliar with my storylines might jump into an erotic piece of mine and have no clue who these guys are or what is their dynamic, or even more problematic, certain details that take place in the story might not make sense unless explained upfront; for example, backstory. (I should clarify that my erotic pieces are sort of like "side stories" or "scenes" that often depend upon my nonerotic writing for their backstories.)

Therefore, I have the tendency to use author's notes at the beginning to explain all this stuff. (In them I might also include certain details about what inspired the piece, etc.) And sometimes those notes can get pretty long.

Another erotica site I'm on does not allow lengthy author's notes and I have to use a workaround involving posting a link to the full notes in their forum (this is permissible). I know that would not be allowed here. So...are author's notes, much less very lengthy ones, permitted in the body of the stories submitted here?

(I'm already aware that a reader could get sick and tired of browsing through my notes and lose all interest in the story...that would be my problem. Perhaps the notes should be appended to the story's end instead?)

Thank you to whoever can answer my ridiculous questions. :eek:

You may have better luck with this question over in the AH {Authors' Hangout}.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that there are two separate fields that cause confusion in the submission form. There is the field marked STORY TEXT. Beneath that is a field labeled NOTES. Below NOTES is the explanation:

You may include any special instructions in the Notes field. These comments will not be shown on the site, they will only be read by the webmaster before posting the submission on the site. If you used the volunteer editing program, you should include the name of your editor in this box.

The NOTES field is a way for you to send notes to us (Lit) regarding your story. Nothing in the NOTES field will be published.

Some authors mistake it for being an AUTHOR'S NOTES section, and that what they put there will be posted as an intro to their story. This is not the case. Nothing you put in NOTES will be posted publicly.

To clarify, any text you want to show to your readers must be pasted into the STORY TEXT field (or included in the .doc or .rtf you upload).

If there are any questions on this, please drop me a PM! :rose:

Back