Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandad immigrated from Lebanon and married a "white lady" (his terminology). She was a fantastic southern cook who could also make about any middle Eastern dish. It was always a huge feist at their house and I was raised on big family meals.

I have always loved to cook. I go through cycles but make about anything and everything... Some of which is much better than others.

A fantastic website is homesicktexan.com . I have no affiliation except its my fav! I have used it for many a recipe.

Finally my favorite cooking items include a Cookshak smoker, a bubba keg steel grill, a vitamix 750 and an old Cuisinart which does great prep w onions peppers and the like.

Cheers!:)



:heart: Lebanese cuisine
 
:heart: Lebanese cuisine

It's great food...my favs are haswa (rice and very lean meat with lots of cinammon and spice) and kiba (cracked wheat covering a wonderful meat and onion mixture). Of course hummus and tabouli are hard to beat as appetizers and sides. Lots of overlapnw Greek food.
 
1471312_10151756565116769_429536816_n.jpg


The soups I made a few weeks ago.
Maryland crab (without the crab)
Chicken noodle (hold the chicken)
Split pea (hold the ham)

- meat/fish add bacteria to the process and it's not good for canning.
 
I make a variety of stir fries, variously using chicken, pork, or beef. I adore thin crust margherita pizza, which must use fresh mozzarella. At least three times a week my breakfast consists of cantaloupe and prosciutto. Having lived in and around Philly for many years I crave the authentic cheesesteak, but have a lot of trouble finding now that I'm in the South. Same for Italian hoagies on Amoroso rolls...you Philly folks know what I'm talking about here.

Tex-mex is good, love steamed pork dumplings, fuck I'm really hungry now.
Just read this post as I'm eating a Roast Beef & sharp provolone hoagie. I'm staying temporarily in New Jersey, so it's not on a good Amoroso roll (I prefer Sarcone's). First stop I'm making when I get back to Philly is Nick's at 20th & Jackson for a few sandwiches and beers.
 
I grew up in the South, and come from a long line of excellent cooks. Our house, my grandparents' house, my great-grandparents' house...the kitchen was the center of the home, always. The older generations especially made the best Sunday dinners and baked goods you've ever had. My grandmama's cakes and fried chicken were locally famous. :) We had a huge family reunion every summer, and the potluck was fabulous, and would put any modern buffet-style restaurant to shame!

My parents, luckily, were pretty health-conscious and were all about experimenting with food. I'm fairly certain I was the only kid (or even teenager) I knew who had ever eaten jicama or swordfish, or who regularly ate broccoli and cauliflower. We certainly had fried chicken and spaghetti, but I was lucky to grow up like that. There was only unsweetened tea in our house; our only sugar consumption was through desserts, and those weren't a regular thing.

Now, as an adult, I love to cook, but I mostly cook for one these days. And I mostly try to keep things on the light side. Which is not a bad thing. As some others have mentioned, I love soups! I make a couple of huge pots a couple of times a month and freeze what I don't eat. My problem is that I mostly just make stuff up and don't really have any recipes. My last soup was a kale/black-eyed pea/andouille sausage concoction. Last night I sauteed some yellow and red peppers, onion, garlic, creole seasoning, and shrimp, then mixed it with some leftover steamed broccoli and whole-wheat spaghetti, tossed with Laughing Cow swiss cheese wedges and fat-free ricotta. It was delicious. I also love my little George Foreman grill. I use it at least 3 or 4 times a week. I can grill up a single serving of protein (salmon, chicken breast, boneless pork chop, lean sirloin), and have it with some microwaved steamed veggies (don't knock it, they're good), and maybe a sweet potato or no starch at all, and I'm good.
 
1471312_10151756565116769_429536816_n.jpg


The soups I made a few weeks ago.
Maryland crab (without the crab)
Chicken noodle (hold the chicken)
Split pea (hold the ham)

- meat/fish add bacteria to the process and it's not good for canning.

Those look so good! And thanks for the tip about the protein with the canning. Does that apply to freezing too?
 
I remember the first "meal" I ever made, I was 7, maybe - my mom was teaching me how to cook scrambled eggs, and instead of putting butter in the pan I smeared it across the burner and my mom must have laughed over it for a good twenty minutes. So, I learned two cookery lessons that day that have stuck with me. Pay attention to what you're doing, and don't sweat the small stuff - almost everything can be fixed.

I learned how to cook by sitting in the kitchen and just watching my mom. She made a lot of homey meals growing up - chicken and dumplings, stews, roasts, etc, etc. It was never fancy, but it was always very flavorful, very filling, and very good. She seemed to love to cook and did it to express her love to people, which is definitely how I think of making food now.

I'll try to cook anything. If I have no frame of reference for a meal I'll start with a recipe and tweak as I go along. There are some things I never use recipes for and dread when I'm asked for one. I don't ever really cook the same thing twice exactly the same way and there's a lot of fun in that.

I'm not a big meat eater anymore, even though growing up it was a staple. A couple summers ago I went strictly vegan for three or so months and realized that meat messes with my digestive system. Now I'm kind of sometimes vegan-y, but I try not to worry about labels.

Spicy foods and bold flavors are my favorite. Indian, Mexican, and Italian would probably be the top three cuisines that I make on a regular basis.

Also, used to hate beans as a kid, but I've discovered a great love of them as an adult - black beans and chick peas especially.
 
1471312_10151756565116769_429536816_n.jpg


The soups I made a few weeks ago.
Maryland crab (without the crab)
Chicken noodle (hold the chicken)
Split pea (hold the ham)

- meat/fish add bacteria to the process and it's not good for canning.

I've pressure canned fish and clams with very good success.
 
I grew up on the Standard American Diet. I eat differently now, protein, carbs, and fats, but I favor protein right now. For dinner tonight I had a piece of meat, with a sweet potato and homemade sourkraut. Oh yeah, with a kale/ banana/ blueberry smoothie, but tonight is my night without kids. I get them back tomorrow and back to the American way of eating. Thats why I'm here right now too. Good food and horny people, makes the world go round. Thanks for making this thread.
 
I grew up on the Standard American Diet. I eat differently now, protein, carbs, and fats, but I favor protein right now. For dinner tonight I had a piece of meat, with a sweet potato and homemade sourkraut. Oh yeah, with a kale/ banana/ blueberry smoothie, but tonight is my night without kids. I get them back tomorrow and back to the American way of eating. Thats why I'm here right now too. Good food and horny people, makes the world go round. Thanks for making this thread.

Smoothie sounds good! Had one this AM. Banana strawberry flax Greek yogurt and fresh pineapple. Yum:D
 
Made this the other night - sweet potato, black bean burgers with fresh salsa and guacamole. (Phelia, it's vegan and really really good, if you'd like the recipe. Well, vegan except that I added cheese. I had to - it was hot pepper cheese. Yum.) There are also sweet potato fries, but not homemade.

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
We eat out once a week, Saturday night, at chain restaurants - included in them are Ruby Tuesday, Uno's, Red Robin, even Hooters. Sometimes we'll do just take out - Subway, Five Guys, and the local mom-and-pop owned Italian and Chinese places.

I cook four days a week - Monday to Wednesday, and Friday. I can make ANYTHING, since I worked at restaurants as diverse as resort restaurants, Italian pizzerias and restaurants, and hotels. I even worked as a short order cook at a Woolworth's. I make my own sauces for pasta. I make my own ethnic foods: Polish cuisine includes pierogi and gawumpkie (No sauce!), Cajun/Creole includes jambalaya and gumbo, even made beignets for the kid's Cinco de Mayo celebrations at school.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top