Non-English Characters

LiamHDunn

Literotica Guru
I hope this isn't answered in a thread I just failed to find if so, I do apologize in advance.

Can I submit a story with non-English characters and have it a) pass the bots and b) retain the font/character? And if so, how?

Specifically, I would like to be able to use Greek and Cyrillic characters.

I hope this isn't answered in a thread I just failed to find if so, I do apologize in advance.

Can I submit a story with non-English characters and have it a) pass the bots and b) retain the font/character? And if so, how?

The site represents everything with a limited set of fonts. What readers see depends on the fonts available on their system. If the font (Verdana, usually) has Greek and Cyrillic characters, and if the character set you're using contains Greek and Cyrillic characters (UTF-8 does) then it will work.

Otherwise, if you want to show those characters in your text then you'll need to include them as an image and work out the details with Laurel.

What community of English-speaking readers are you trying to reach with Greek and Cyrillic characters?

The site represents everything with a limited set of fonts. What readers see depends on the fonts available on their system. If the font (Verdana, usually) has Greek and Cyrillic characters, and if the character set you're using contains Greek and Cyrillic characters (UTF-8 does) then it will work.

Otherwise, if you want to show those characters in your text then you'll need to include them as an image and work out the details with Laurel.

What community of English-speaking readers are you trying to reach with Greek and Cyrillic characters?

It's more of a "flavor and feel" thing. I can accomplish it by simply stating the letters, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta; A, Be Ve, Ge, etc. But that fails to carry the shape of the letters, which is more the point. The Cyrillic Yu, for instance, looks nothing like the character the name most closely approximates. But, for the purpose of the telling, the shape conveys a lot.

It's more of a "flavor and feel" thing. I can accomplish it by simply stating the letters, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta; A, Be Ve, Ge, etc. But that fails to carry the shape of the letters, which is more the point. The Cyrillic Yu, for instance, looks nothing like the character the name most closely approximates. But, for the purpose of the telling, the shape conveys a lot.

I don't know what system you're working in, but I just checked what Verdana offered using UTF-8 (unicode). I think it might have all of the characters you mentioned. It should only be necessary for you to use unicode and represent those characters in your word processor. You should then be able to either cut-and-paste from your document, or upload a text file.

You can always try writing an example and uploading it into the story preview to see if it works.

You might be able to use character encodings other than unicode, but you'll need to check on the details. I know that Lit responds automatically to unicode encoding. I don't know about other codings other than to say that ASCII will not work.

I haven't tested the limits, but Lit's support for non-English characters is pretty good; this story has characters named "Mamǝḵā Bēyˁṯān" and "Cέrμləa", for example, so Greek and Cyrillic are unlikely to cause problems.

I used ä, ö and ü (from German) in my last story. Only thing I had to do enter it during the upload phase as it was replaced with a boxed questionmark.

Back