Why Your Erotic Poem Isn't

I think we need to move on to a discussion about "Why Your Erotic Poem Is"

All things being considered here, it has been established that different things turn different people on for different reasons. Now the task becomes one of weeding out the elements of eroticism that turn most people on, most of the time. While a fetish can be arousing to the fetishist, does it not remain the poet's job to present the erotic side of the practice in such a way as to stimulate the non-fetishist sensually?

So, given a challenge of writing an erotic poem about shoes when you find shoes sexually unappealing, could you still produce an arousing work by cloaking the idea with words and techniques that are guaranteed to tickle everyone's hypothalamus? If so, what are these sure-fire wet puddle makers?

Good point, but I think our definitions of what is erotic are as varied as we are. I'm likely to respond favorably to a poem that is more metaphorically erotic or, if it does have graphic elements, presents them in surprising ways.

The question is, though, are you issuing a challenge? :D
 
champ, SR's poem was not meant to be erotic, inclusion in this thread was an error on Tzara's part, if you take out the sink scene, it could have been even comic, (some minor changes)

I feel empty
ha,ha

this is a very "closed door" poem, it does not allow the reader in. The other is clearly defined and not very responsive, and it is set up as a confessional, she is telling you. And what she is telling you is very painful. I could parse this and it could be read a variety of ways, the dildo itself could (and probably is) be a metaphor, did anybody think of that? This is a powerful piece largely because of the juxtapositions. But SR was known for using the structure of comedy, I pointed that out 8-9 years ago. Comedy is most often "closed door" the only time you are invited in (the set-up) is for you to get hit with the punchline. She drew blood.

an erotic poem would have to be an "open door" that somehow allows the reader in as a participate. your poem, without saying anything in that direction, allows it. Bed.

Two reasons dumb ass fuck stories don't work as erotic.
a. everything is clearly defined
b. and even if the door is opened ( inviting) do I want to be there?

no, i'll go wack my carrot in a better scence
 
Back
Top