Writing Goal for the Day?

Ok. Movie's over, words have been written, and I need to timewarp myself off to bed...

Who wouldn't?

Thank God I'm not the only one. I think it's a sign of geekiness when you know the timewarp better than the electric slide/macarena/pick your generation's dance.

It's just a jump to the left....

There was a theatre called the Meadowbrook in Warwick and they showed the Rocky Horror Picture show every Saturday night for years. People would show up dressed asthe characters, throw toast at the screen sing dance and have a blast.

I lost a bet and had to go dressed as Frankenfurter. Fortunately to my knowledge no pictures exist.

Let's see, I opened three of my stories about two hours ago. I think I have typed a total of 15 words, damn. :eek:

Let's see, I opened three of my stories about two hours ago. I think I have typed a total of 15 words, damn. :eek:

I usually open my stories in the morning, as I'm getting things started on the day. I wonder if that makes me feel worse -- that they're sitting there and I'm not working on them. But my reasoning is (I think) that if they're open and I get a chance, I can just open the window and write.

I usually open my stories in the morning, as I'm getting things started on the day. I wonder if that makes me feel worse -- that they're sitting there and I'm not working on them. But my reasoning is (I think) that if they're open and I get a chance, I can just open the window and write.

My routine on weekends is I wake up around 5am (yeah I'm one of those sleep when I'm dead types) I stay in bed and let my mind drift. That early is supposed to be one of the most fertile times for your mind because nothing has cluttered it up yet. I let it all come to me then get up and type out the basic ideas.

I walk the dog work out for an hour then sit down and start writing.

MOnday through Friday it's just the ideas in the morning because I have to be in work by 7.

Goddamn Job gets in the way I'll tell you.

For today ch. 38 a depressing chapter featuring my characters last days as an addict. I have mixed emotions approaching it. In a sense I am eager to get through it and get it out of my head, there is enough depressing crap up there already and this has been up there for awhile. On the other hand I want to do it justice and am leery of being able to properly capture the mood.

I do however have Springsteen's The River S&G Sounds of Silence and several other depressing songs on a playlist so hopefully the "mood music" will take me there.

S&G Sounds of Silence and several other depressing songs on a playlist so hopefully the "mood music" will take me there.

Great song, but I can't think of anything but this scene from The Graduate when I hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahFARm2j38c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's only the last minute or so... but given all the vampire talk, the rest seems appropriate for this place (in a "look! he's repelling Ann Bancroft with a cross!" sort of way),

I do however have Springsteen's The River S&G Sounds of Silence and several other depressing songs on a playlist so hopefully the "mood music" will take me there.

What? No Cure? ;)

I know what you mean, though. I've found it can help a lot to have some music going in the background. Sometimes I like some nice ambient stuff with no words, other times a little jazz, and sometimes my usual pop/rock.

Great song, but I can't think of anything but this scene from The Graduate when I hear it:

It's only the last minute or so... but given all the vampire talk, the rest seems appropriate for this place (in a "look! he's repelling Ann Bancroft with a cross!" sort of way),

Hahahaha. Oh, that's a great idea, "The Graduate" revisited with Mrs. Robinson as a vampire. That's excellent.

Not sure how much or when I'll get things done today. Hub says he needs to work (sigh), and his back is half-out, and there likely needs to be a grocery run. Still, I might steal some time during the day and there's always the evening after the kids go to bed... I hope.

What? No Cure? ;)

I know what you mean, though. I've found it can help a lot to have some music going in the background. Sometimes I like some nice ambient stuff with no words, other times a little jazz, and sometimes my usual pop/rock.

Hahahaha. Oh, that's a great idea, "The Graduate" revisited with Mrs. Robinson as a vampire. That's excellent.

Not sure how much or when I'll get things done today. Hub says he needs to work (sigh), and his back is half-out, and there likely needs to be a grocery run. Still, I might steal some time during the day and there's always the evening after the kids go to bed... I hope.

The Cure? I want depressing not painful LOL. There is actually a couple of Seether songs that work as well "Love Her" is a brutal song and very fitting for my current chapter. "Broken" is actually the name of the e-book version of my lit work because the lyrics fit the characters to a T.

Well typed the first line before I chickened out and ran back to the boards.

On the morning of the day I was going to die I dreamt of my brother.

It only gets more depressing from there. Why the hell I created a woman who spent years hooked on Heroin I don't know.

One of my favorite movies and I thought the song was perfect. For some reason even though it is supposed to be "inspirational" McCartney's "Let it be" puts me in that mood as well.

There is also a couple of Seether songs I mention in my reply to Pennlady.

I can see it now:

Benjamin: Oh my God!
Mrs. Robinson: Pardon?
Benjamin: Oh no, Mrs. Robinson. Oh no.
Mrs. Robinson: What's wrong?
Benjamin: Mrs. Robinson, you didn't... I mean, you didn't expect...
Mrs. Robinson: What?
Benjamin: I mean, you didn't really think I'd do something like that.
Mrs. Robinson: Like what?
Benjamin: What do you think?
Mrs. Robinson: Well, I don't know.
Benjamin: For god's sake, Mrs. Robinson. Here we are. You got me into your house. You give me a drink. You... put on music. Now you start opening up your personal life to me and tell me your husband won't be home for hours.
Mrs. Robinson: So?
Benjamin: Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to sire me.
Mrs. Robinson: [laughs]
Benjamin: Aren't you?

Lyrics from Love her by Seether.

I met a girl who hated the world - she used her body to sell her soul
Everytime they'd break her and pay - tear out her heart, and leave her in pain

I never found out how she survived all of the sadness she kept inside
I never found out how she could lie with a smile on her face,
and the scratches she'd hide

[Chorus:]
You could love her if you paid, you could have her everyday
You could love her if you prayed, you could have her every way

Down on her knees, she wept on the floor - this hopeless life she wanted no more
Dead in her mind and cold to the bone - she opened her eyes and saw she was alone
She never found out how much I tried - all of the sadness she kept made me blind
She never found out how much I cried - the rope so tight on the night that she died...

[Chorus]

I never found out how she survived - a life lived in lies is a life of denial
I never found out how she could lie - with a smile on her face and the darkness inside

[Chorus x2]

Hmmm-mmm cheery!

How did I miss this thread? I guess I was having too much fun plotting against estragon.

Y'all have hit on a lot of the music that I listen to, too. Lately, it's been instrumental stuff, Hans Zimmer kind of stuff. The string quartet Bond. Escala. For a more depressing mood, Evanescence or Creed or 3 Doors Down.

It was more fun when my characters first got together. Keith Urban's "Somebody Like You" is a fun song. Of course, then there's Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch."

Lyrics from Love her by Seether.

I never found out how she survived - a life lived in lies is a life of denial
I never found out how she could lie - with a smile on her face and the darkness inside

[Chorus x2]

Hmmm-mmm cheery!

You could always go with "tomorrow, Wendy" by Concrete Blonde.

Chorus: "Tomorrow Wendy's going to die."

(Full lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/concrete+blonde/tomorrow+wendy_20033075.html)

But if I want depressing/angry music, there's always The Crow soundtrack and "Operation: Mindcrime" by Queensryche. And Marillion's "Brave" album. Nothing like an album about a girl who commits suicide after being abused.

You could always go with "tomorrow, Wendy" by Concrete Blonde.

Chorus: "Tomorrow Wendy's going to die."

(Full lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/concrete+blonde/tomorrow+wendy_20033075.html)

But if I want depressing/angry music, there's always The Crow soundtrack and "Operation: Mindcrime" by Queensryche. And Marillion's "Brave" album. Nothing like an album about a girl who commits suicide after being abused.

That is another good one. And the Crow was a fantastic movie. Dark sad, but with that payback motiff that I love. Lex Talionis.

Honestly the all time low for me is James Taylor. Personally I don't find him depressing however my sister in law was a huge fan of his.

She past away 3 years ago of lung cancer at the age of 37. We were very close and every time hear Taylor I'm caught between the urge to either cry or hit something. There's been times that f my wife's in the car and one of his songs come on we have to pull over. Ain't life Grand?

For now I will refrain from James, he can put me in a serious funk for a day or more.

Last edited:
How did I miss this thread? I guess I was having too much fun plotting against estragon.

Y'all have hit on a lot of the music that I listen to, too. Lately, it's been instrumental stuff, Hans Zimmer kind of stuff. The string quartet Bond. Escala. For a more depressing mood, Evanescence or Creed or 3 Doors Down.

It was more fun when my characters first got together. Keith Urban's "Somebody Like You" is a fun song. Of course, then there's Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch."

I usually listen to Pandora, a Billy Joel station mostly because it's fairly mellow. I also enjoy writing to Doo wop as it's usually fun.

For my rough sex scenes and the fight scenes, its some good old fashioned Disturbed, Rob Zombie, Metallica or my daughters favorites Slipknot and Marilyn Manson (who said I didn't raise my kids right!)

I usually listen to Pandora, a Billy Joel station mostly because it's fairly mellow. I also enjoy writing to Doo wop as it's usually fun.

For my rough sex scenes and the fight scenes, its some good old fashioned Disturbed, Rob Zombie, Metallica or my daughters favorites Slipknot and Marilyn Manson (who said I didn't raise my kids right!)

I actually don't get to listen to as much music as I'd like -- the perils of having young kids around. But I guess it works out since it's not like I have time to write during the day, either.

I got kind of tired of Billy Joel at some point. My hub likes him, though.

I actually don't get to listen to as much music as I'd like -- the perils of having young kids around.

My mom thought show tunes were OK until I started singing the song "Tits and Ass" from A Chorus Line at a friend's house. Ha! I don't think I've ever seen her so mortified as when I started saying how I "got myself a fancy pair."

As far as music now... my goal is for today is to type (or at least scribble in the ol' Antho catalog) half of my summer lovin' story. The girl is a modern bluegrass/folk musician, so I'm on a strict music diet. I listened to some Carole King this morning, and I'm listening to the Carolina Chocolate Drops now. :)

Yes, me too, though not at the same time as I am writing. I need silence when I'm actually at the computer. I listen to Pandora in the car while I do my thinking - which, as we covered in another thread, is substantial time every day. And my DH wonders when I get aggravated when he calls me in the car. :)

I actually don't get to listen to as much music as I'd like -- the perils of having young kids around. But I guess it works out since it's not like I have time to write during the day, either.

I got kind of tired of Billy Joel at some point. My hub likes him, though.

I'll tell you what, "hearing" you and Tatyana talk makes me appreciate the fact my kids are 21/18. My wife works later hours than I do and I get a lot of time to myself. I forgot how tough it is when you have little ones.

21 year old lives with mom (that is why she has a ton of issues) my 18 lives with me but has a car and a boyfriend so I barely know she exists.

My daughters were raised with whatever I listened to so like myself my youngest has very mixed tastes. She can sing along with the drifters as well as Slayer and anything in between even disco:eek:

My mom thought show tunes were OK until I started singing the song "Tits and Ass" from A Chorus Line at a friend's house. Ha! I don't think I've ever seen her so mortified as when I started saying how I "got myself a fancy pair."

As far as music now... my goal is for today is to type (or at least scribble in the ol' Antho catalog) half of my summer lovin' story. The girl is a modern bluegrass/folk musician, so I'm on a strict music diet. I listened to some Carole King this morning, and I'm listening to the Carolina Chocolate Drops now. :)

Hey it's about time you ditched the "cock" avatars and put a pic of yourself in the AV!;)

Yes, me too, though not at the same time as I am writing. I need silence when I'm actually at the computer. I listen to Pandora in the car while I do my thinking - which, as we covered in another thread, is substantial time every day. And my DH wonders when I get aggravated when he calls me in the car. :)

I can't think in silence. I can write with the speakers blasting inches from my head. Then again I am the type that does not know how to be peaceful, the more chaotic things get the more I get into it.

Haha. My parents didn't listen to a ton of music, but one they did was Jimmy Buffett, and I used to sing along and according to mom, much energy was expended to avoid the song "Why Don't We Get Drunk (and screw)?" so that I wouldn't repeat it in school.

I'll tell you what, "hearing" you and Tatyana talk makes me appreciate the fact my kids are 21/18. My wife works later hours than I do and I get a lot of time to myself. I forgot how tough it is when you have little ones.

It's tough but in a good way, although it does get frustrating some times. I occasionally -- very occasionally -- wish that I had had the kids when I was younger, but then well, that's just not how it worked out.

My daughters were raised with whatever I listened to so like myself my youngest has very mixed tastes. She can sing along with the drifters as well as Slayer and anything in between even disco:eek:

I kind of developed my tastes on my own. Like I said, my parents listened to some music, but not tons, and then when my brother was little and had a lot of ear issues, the house was kept pretty quiet. So I was put on to music by my friends, and did the rest myself. I'll listen to The Drifters, Shakira, Queensryche, Marillion, and many others.

My son is/has been a fan of a ton of singers and groups: ELO, Duran Duran, Johnny Cash, The Beach Boys, Nina Gordon. He was burning his own mix CDs when he was six. :) It'll be fun to see what the 3yo girl gets into.

I like some background noise when I write. I just need the occasional distraction. Of which "Rocky Horror" perhaps provided too much last night. ;)

Today I'll go on a walk, (after I do laundry and pack stuff :eek:) and see if I can't find something to write about.

Maybe a pretty rock... Or some corn... hmm

Quote: Originally Posted by SydneyBlake

Serenissima Syd, What did I do to deserve that? I edited a story for you and quibbled a little, that's all. I'm just a poor wayfarin' quibbler, quibblin' through this world of woe.

But as for music, Jim Steinman's brilliant "Total Eclipse of the Heart" came to my rescue when Chapter Three of "A New Birth of Freedom" was in total collapse and I was ready to chuck it all overboard. I heard just a snippet on someone else's radio, ran home to YouTube, listened to it three times, bought the sheet music and sang it (nobody was around, so no casualties), and the story started writing itself. And I just got a license from Grandmaster dweaver999, so here it comes.

Back