Roll Call - Nerds & Geeks

I didn’t realize Eccleston was in Heroes but I only watched the first season and a half and that was back when it very first came out 🤷🏻*♀️

He was only in a handful of episodes during the first season. He was the invisible man who tried to train Peter to use his powers.

Man, that's a show I haven't thought about in ages. Talk about a program that went completely off the rails after a promising start.

AND talk of Netflix Marvel. You guys are going to make me cry. The thought of never again seeing Charlie Cox's Daredevil crushes my comic book nerd soul.

Then again, Disney does now own 2/3 of Hulu. I doubt anything would come of it, but I would totally subscribe to Hulu to watch more DD or Punisher.

As far as being an adaption to the comic, the Netflix Punisher is as close as they've ever gotten. Sad to see them all go. I hope they get rebooted with the same casts and maintain the continuity.

They in large part got the axe because Disney is starting their own streaming service, and they now own the MCU. I doubt the exact shows are going to show there because 1) they were created by Netflix, and 2) they are a bit much for the Disney image. I'm still not signing up for Disney's streaming, as there are too many streaming services as it is.

So what are your go to SF quotes for real life applications.
Since there was an election today, the "... To summarize the summary of the summary: People are a problem." quote always comes to mind.

Warning - Full disclosure/oversharing post ahead:

Greetings programs!

So I suppose this could go in any number of threads on Lit, or even in it's own, but I feel comfortable here and I feel it's adjacent to the topic at hand. You know when they say "You just need to find yourself"? I think I am old enough to have found most of myself. I am very comfortable with who I am. Part of that is being a nerd about Dragon Quest, X-files, and whatever the latest Marvel crossover event is.

Another part of that is my personality, which doesn't necessarily/always correlate to nerd-ish interests, but it just so happens that I exude some cliched nerd traits - timid, awkward, playful, weird. It's who I am naturally. I may have more to learn and experience but there's a core of me that's always going to be that way.

But what I have yet to figure out, despite knowing myself pretty well, is where I fit into the world. I was married at 25 and divorced at 41, so there's big chunk of my life where I was "set" in the way that I fit. Right now though I don't have a clue. Case in point, and in traditional nerd fashion, I had a chance with a girl recently, and I blew it. Here's where I went wrong - I was being myself (timid and awkward), and she was looking for more aggression and/or smoothness.

So in short, I'm feeling the usual - blah. But also wondering if I should be feeling disappointed in myself for not fitting/adapting to world around me, or if the world (read: girl) wasn't ready to accept me for who I am.

And yes, there's more details to the story and this WAS the tl;dr version.

Fletchx-

As I kid I often used 'greetings, programs!' as a salutation but none of the jerks I knew ever seemed to get the reference.

Like a doddering old counselor to a corrupt Nordic king once told his son "to thine own self be true."

If you want to share details with me or thread, go ahead, but if a girl or a friend does not like you for who you are, if they dislike how you act then you are comfortable, you should not feel bad if they leave. That is on them, not you. I do not if this was one date where she called it quits or a courtship that stalled. Open communication is always key when building a new relationship, were you both being open about who you were and what you wanted?

As much as nerds are in to fantasy and cosplay, we should be free to be honest about who we are to ourselves, our friends, our loved ones.

TL;DR. That girl sucks. Find a woman who likes you for you

Warning - Full disclosure/oversharing post ahead:

Greetings programs!

So I suppose this could go in any number of threads on Lit, or even in it's own, but I feel comfortable here and I feel it's adjacent to the topic at hand. You know when they say "You just need to find yourself"? I think I am old enough to have found most of myself. I am very comfortable with who I am. Part of that is being a nerd about Dragon Quest, X-files, and whatever the latest Marvel crossover event is.

Another part of that is my personality, which doesn't necessarily/always correlate to nerd-ish interests, but it just so happens that I exude some cliched nerd traits - timid, awkward, playful, weird. It's who I am naturally. I may have more to learn and experience but there's a core of me that's always going to be that way.

But what I have yet to figure out, despite knowing myself pretty well, is where I fit into the world. I was married at 25 and divorced at 41, so there's big chunk of my life where I was "set" in the way that I fit. Right now though I don't have a clue. Case in point, and in traditional nerd fashion, I had a chance with a girl recently, and I blew it. Here's where I went wrong - I was being myself (timid and awkward), and she was looking for more aggression and/or smoothness.

So in short, I'm feeling the usual - blah. But also wondering if I should be feeling disappointed in myself for not fitting/adapting to world around me, or if the world (read: girl) wasn't ready to accept me for who I am.

And yes, there's more details to the story and this WAS the tl;dr version.

Hi F,

Without knowing the details, I wouldn't blame girl or you. You're not what she's looking for and she has the right to choose whoever she wants. You can only be yourself and nothing else. Else life is too tiresome. Not every girl will like you, as you judge and choose, so do they. It is a big world, and I believe that there is always someone (sometimes multiple) out there for everyone. I think that once you find someone who appreciate you for who you are, all your doubts will go away.

So chill. Make some friends along the way. Give yourself a chance and in turn, give others a chance too.

cheers

Cthulhu thanks for your thoughts, man. Also glad to see a fellow Tron fan. One of the few and the proud.

It honestly may have been the case of us not having the right chemistry. I was clearly communicating about what I wanted. And I did this by straight up telling her how I feel. I think she thinks she was being open too, but it was in the form of flirty jokes and sly hints that I missed (or, I admit, blatant hints that I also missed). And that's where we didn't line up.

Shy, thanks for your response and I think you're absolutely right. In my brain I know your words to be true. It's just that it felt like a punch in the gut so I had to wallow around for a bit before my confidence comes back.

Ninja, thanks for your perspective. In hindsight it's accurate to say I wasn't what she was looking for. And she definitely has the right to turn me down. Just that when I was in the moment, I didn't know what truly was going on, "where I fit" as I was saying earlier. If after I told her how I felt, she directly said "Hey friend, put on the brakes because I don't feel the same about you," it would've been a downer but I can accept that. And of course if I was at her place right now getting it on instead of posting here that would be cool too. :D:cool: That fact that there was a window of opportunity, from 7pm to midnight on one single night, that something could have happened, should have happened, but didn't, and so now just forget it, never even occured to me as a possible scenario. That kinda threw me for a loop and made me realize just how bad I am at dating and playing the game, as they say.

Ahem,

Anyway, is there anyone here who will dare try to convince me to go see that Shazam movie? We all know the DC movie track record is shoddy. Wonder Woman was cool, but Aquaman was a bit of a slog for me, and didn't inspire a ton of confidence. I'm probably going to skip Shazam unless I have reason to believe otherwise...

Ahem,

Anyway, is there anyone here who will dare try to convince me to go see that Shazam movie? We all know the DC movie track record is shoddy. Wonder Woman was cool, but Aquaman was a bit of a slog for me, and didn't inspire a ton of confidence. I'm probably going to skip Shazam unless I have reason to believe otherwise...

Ahem, have you recovered enough?

Haven't seen it, probably won't see it unless someone convinces me to. I just made small talk with no apparent help.

Sorry for wasting bandwidth.

I'm a huge nerd. I have met stan Lee twice before he sied and had 2 comics signed by him. I play alot of video games. I also read alot about history and serial killers. I use to play paper magic now i play hearthstone.

I'm a huge nerd. I have met stan Lee twice before he sied and had 2 comics signed by him. I play alot of video games. I also read alot about history and serial killers. I use to play paper magic now i play hearthstone.

Do you play PC games? Or do video games include PC games? We're not revisiting serial killers again. I talked about it last time and almost killed the thread :eek:

There are Magic Friday nights where I am, do you guys have something similar? Not that I play. Just curious.

Pc master race. I play stuff like apex legends overwatch those are my two right now. Yes we have Friday night magic

Pc master race. I play stuff like apex legends overwatch those are my two right now. Yes we have Friday night magic

Overwatch seems good. A lot of my friends have moved on from League of legends to play Overwatch. Too bad I get disoriented with shooting games.

Overwatch seems good. A lot of my friends have moved on from League of legends to play Overwatch. Too bad I get disoriented with shooting games.

Love Overwatch. Console pleb, but still. Not such a fan of it's players though. :p Winston main for life. The power of science!

I've put entirely too much time into that game. Still haven't tried Apex Legends yet. That's from the same people who did Titanfall, is it not? I've heard good things.

These jokes are... something else, but I admit I enjoy the groaners. :p

Ahem,

If Zachary Levi isn't enough to convince you, take a pass. I mean, the dude was freakin' Chuck! It's like nerd mandatory to see the movie just for that.

I had to start with Tennant! I could happily skip Rose but I love the beginning of Tennant as the doctor

I stopped watching when Capadli took over

Something about Tennant as the Doctor turned me off. He's brilliant...but I lost interest. I don't know why. *shrugs*

I had to start with Tennant! I could happily skip Rose but I love the beginning of Tennant as the doctor

I stopped watching when Capadli took over

I liked Capaldi. I hated Clara. And I loathed Clara with Capaldi. His last year was his best. Though they hit the character with a sledgehammer to get him there.

Jury is still out for me on the new one (Whittaker? That looks spelled wrong to me). Feels like a very different show with all the changes. But I think it was finding it's groove towards the end of the season.

Back