And what's THAT?

Bingo. And I didn't get "the talk." All sisters and my father was mostly and conveniently always off to war.

I didn't get the talk either. What I remember is my mom handing me the Time-Life book "How Babies are Made" when I was ten. I read it. That was it until sex-ed in high school, when there was some talk of STDs and we got to watch the Nova episode on The Miracle of Life.

And none of that really addressed too many body parts, except those involved in making the baby, mainly the penis, vagina and uterus.

I didn't get the talk either. What I remember is my mom handing me the Time-Life book "How Babies are Made" when I was ten. I read it. That was it until sex-ed in high school.

And in 15 years of teaching the Anthropology of Sex, students never ceased to amaze me with their lack of knowledge of sexual anatomy and physiology, and that in spite of a new high school sex ed program. On second thought, maybe it was because of the new high school sex ed program...

When I was a day or so from leaving for college, my Dad gave me the "talk". He talked about sex and relationships for about five minutes in such a convoluted way that I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about even though I already knew as much as what he was trying to tell me.

My Dad's attempt at "the talk" came just before I turned seventeen (he was several years too late) when we were bonding while working on my car. I can't really fault him for the delay since I was a late-in-life baby. With him being nearly sixty and a full extra generation removed from what was going on in the late '60s/early '70s, he just assumed the timing and content of the 1952 version of "the talk" he had given my much older brothers was appropriate and sufficient.

After letting him stumble and mumble around for about ten minutes while we were under the car hood, I finally just looked over at him and asked, "Are you trying to talk about sex, Dad?"

That got me back a look of relief and softly spoken, "Well, um, yes son."

At that point I leaned over the engine and started adjusting the carburetor settings and simply inquired, "Why? You and Mom having problems?"

I wish I had a picture of the look on his face as he threw down a socket wrench and stormed off, because it was one of the very few times I ever heard him swear...something along the lines of "goddamn kids nowdays"...and also the last time the word "sex" was used in my presence. :D

Nobody talked to me about anything. I am still totally ignorant. I am thus qualified to write here.

My mom died when I was young, so I didn't have any adult to look up to when I grew up (Forget about Dad).

My elder sis (older by 12 minutes) and I fumbled with the tampons in the bathroom, trying to figure out everything.

My brother, on the other hand, was sent to a boarding school and he got 'enlightened' at a very young age of 12. He was pretty knowledgable about the working and stuff long before us.

My mom died when I was young, so I didn't have any adult to look up to when I grew up (Forget about Dad).

My elder sis (older by 12 minutes) and I fumbled with the tampons in the bathroom, trying to figure out everything.

My brother, on the other hand, was sent to a boarding school and he got 'enlightened' at a very young age of 12. He was pretty knowledgable about the working and stuff long before us.

But you manage okay now, yes?

Back