Becoming pro

Player0

Virgin
Joined
Sep 21, 2006
Posts
5
Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know if anyone has any advice on finally making money from writing, or ideally taking the skills of writing i've developed and using it to apply for a paying job.

Anyone have any advice?
 
For starters, work at it while you have other income that pays the bills. Don't depend on sales for your next meal or your electricity bill, or you will be constrained by too much pressure (and, yes, I make money off writing--but it's all "gravy" money).

When you get published write well enough and works interesting enough to attract buying readers and then keep the works coming.
 
Last edited:
What KD said. To which I will add, getting into mainstream is as much luck as talent. Having what the publisher needs ready when he needs it is paramount.

I make money from my mainstream work and yes, you have to keep putting out good novels all the time. It does become a J.O.B. after a while. Lit gives you a place to have fun with your writing even after you "make" it.
 
In addition to what the other guys have already said: two rules.

1. Only write when you feel inspired

2. Make sure that you feel inspired at 8 am each and every morning

Good luck.
 
You could consider a job as a copy writer or technical writer.

Advertising and marketing companies need people to write the text for print ads or the scripts for TV or radio. And instruction manuals don't write themselves. A lot of big companies also need people to write up annual reports or press releases or brochures or internal news letters.

It's the kind of work that will use your skills as a writer, but not necessarily your creativity. To be honest, it can be kind of soul-sucking and you're almost always on a deadline. But if you really want to make a living off of writing before you become the next King or Rowling, that's a way to do it.
 
I've made a living as a copywriter before. It's not a bad way to earn some money and free up time for other things. You can't be too precious about your writing though. It's craft, not art, and you're working for someone else most of the time. Still - it comes with a tonne of freedom attached, and you get to do what you love for a living, so it's worth a look.
 
I've made a living as a copywriter before. It's not a bad way to earn some money and free up time for other things. You can't be too precious about your writing though. It's craft, not art, and you're working for someone else most of the time. Still - it comes with a tonne of freedom attached, and you get to do what you love for a living, so it's worth a look.

A number of top novelists and playwrights have served time as copywriters. :)
 
Back
Top