Wives for sale -- for beer. It's traditional.

Hypoxia

doesn't watch television
When Divorce Was Off the Table, English Couples Dissolved Their Marriages With Beer
On June 2, 1828, inside the George and Dragon pub in Tonbridge, England, John Savage paid George Skinner one shilling and a pot of beer for his wife, Mary. George ordered his beer, and John left with Mary. The pair held hands as they went to start their new life together.

This wasn’t an unusual scene. Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, English wives were “sold” for a variety of payments. Prices varied—“as low as a bullpup and a quarter of rum” all the way to “forty [British] pounds and a supper,” the North-Eastern Daily Gazette reported in 1887.

Half a gallon was the total sale price for a 26-year-old known as Mrs. Wells, purchased by a Mr. Clayton in 1876, as reported by The Sheffield Daily Telegraph. Clayton approached Mr. Wells, professed his love for the man’s wife, and asked if he could marry her. Wells shrugged—for the last two years, his wife had lived with Clayton, and he didn’t care what she did anymore. He told Clayton he could have her “for nowt” (or “nothing”), but Clayton insisted he name his price—he did not want her “so cheaply.” Wells countered with a half-gallon (four pints) of beer, and the three of them went off to the pub. After buying Wells his beer, Clayton also offered to adopt the Wells’s daughter—Mrs. Wells was rather attached to her—and when Mr. Wells accepted, Clayton bought him another pint. Mrs. Wells was so pleased with the arrangement that she purchased an additional half gallon of beer, which the three drank together.​
A pint for a daughter. Such a deal! But was it a craft beer?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back then, women had no rights. Kinda sad, when it comes down to it.

I'm pretty sure that I've had the odd pint in The George and Dragon. I don't recall being asked to hand over any wives. :D

So what do you get for a party keg? :D
The Bronte sisters.

how very "mayor of casterbridge".
Exactly.

Weren't they all craft beer back then?
And smoky, brewed over open wood fires by strong, sweaty beerwives. That craft is gone, alas. This stuff now, called 'beer'? Hah. It's a product of crime.
I'm the man
The very man
Who waters the workers' beer​
Beer-watering was a capitol offense at times. It still should be. Up Coors!

I'm pretty sure that I've had the odd pint in The George and Dragon. I don't recall being asked to hand over any wives. :D
Had you any wives to offer? Next time, take a few.

Until the 20th Century divorce was financially impossible for the majority of British people. It cost several years' income for a working man.

Selling wives was uncommon even in the 19th Century. Husbands and wives walking out of a marriage and making another illegal partnership was more usual, sometimes with mutual consent. A single mother would find it very difficult to maintain herself without a working partner. Any husband whose wife died in childbirth leaving young children looked around for a replacement childminder/wife within weeks, whether that woman was technically married to someone else or a widow.

Back