The China Pearl Inn part 9

Whoo hoo. When I looked at the ten day forecast yesterday it just said 90s for the entire time, but I just looked at it and RAIN!! Next weekend the monsoons are supposed to start. Hurray...now the question is.. will it rain here or go around this place? It does that sometimes. :D

Whoo hoo. When I looked at the ten day forecast yesterday it just said 90s for the entire time, but I just looked at it and RAIN!! Next weekend the monsoons are supposed to start. Hurray...now the question is.. will it rain here or go around this place? It does that sometimes. :D

Quick, break out the rain dance kit. Of course this means you nekkid on the bar. Your choice...:D

The earth has never moved for me...tho the dressing table twitched a bit...

Well I have felt the odd tweak earthquake wise but I'm once again in a pretty stable part of the crust :) Where I used to live had a tremor or two due to fracking...put the miners back a couple of years.

Spent most of my life on the Pacific Rim. Lots of small shakes and a few major building and roads collapsed. But for the most part it happened in other places not where I was. But lightning scares me. I fear fire. I would not want to live in hurricane/tornado areas.

Guess I should quit mentioning the temps as the central area of the country from west to east coast is supposed to hit triple digits. We haven't done that yet and hopefully we won't. That is typical for the deserts but not the mountains.

Spent most of my life on the Pacific Rim. Lots of small shakes and a few major building and roads collapsed. But for the most part it happened in other places not where I was. But lightning scares me. I fear fire. I would not want to live in hurricane/tornado areas.

Guess I should quit mentioning the temps as the central area of the country from west to east coast is supposed to hit triple digits. We haven't done that yet and hopefully we won't. That is typical for the deserts but not the mountains.

They're getting better at building quake resistant buildings but I wouldn't like to be in one and have to rely on it. Hope you get wet soon :D

They're getting better at building quake resistant buildings but I wouldn't like to be in one and have to rely on it. Hope you get wet soon :D

Yeah being in a high rise when it starts to sway is scary. But earthquakes that you can feel don't happen that often. One year I was leaning against the desk of a kid that caused problems so I was doing the stand nearby so he won't act up routine. The table started shaking so I told him to stop shaking the table. He said he wasn't shaking it, but it was obviously shaking. Teacher next door comes in and asks if I felt the earthquake. LOL I don't know how she figured out it was an earthquake, the floors in that building shook every time a truck drove by the school. :rolleyes:

Yeah being in a high rise when it starts to sway is scary. But earthquakes that you can feel don't happen that often. One year I was leaning against the desk of a kid that caused problems so I was doing the stand nearby so he won't act up routine. The table started shaking so I told him to stop shaking the table. He said he wasn't shaking it, but it was obviously shaking. Teacher next door comes in and asks if I felt the earthquake. LOL I don't know how she figured out it was an earthquake, the floors in that building shook every time a truck drove by the school. :rolleyes:

They say some animals can feel these things, even predict. Maybe she is related... :D Did you ever have earthquake drills? Stand in doorways or kids under desks?

They say some animals can feel these things, even predict. Maybe she is related... :D Did you ever have earthquake drills? Stand in doorways or kids under desks?

It gets really quiet just before a quake, then the dogs go crazy. We have drop under the desk drills at least once a month. Then there are fire drills and shooting drills. Although the shooting drills weren't because of a shooter on campus, but the school is on a major road between two freeways. Lots of people trying to escape the police would jump off one freeway and past the school to jump on the other freeway. So we had to practice lying flat on the ground in case some idiot decided to leave their car or started shooting at the police and stray bullets came in the direction of the school.

When I first started at that school, shooting by gang members at night were pretty common. But, the matriarch of the major gang for our area also volunteered at the school because her grandchildren went there. So we never had problems with graffiti or gang problems on campus. The hard part for us was trying to keep our kids out of the hands of the gangs. Eventually, the gang pretty much died out as the members were either in jail or dead. There was some start ups over the years but they never really became a major problem.

It gets really quiet just before a quake, then the dogs go crazy. We have drop under the desk drills at least once a month. Then there are fire drills and shooting drills. Although the shooting drills weren't because of a shooter on campus, but the school is on a major road between two freeways. Lots of people trying to escape the police would jump off one freeway and past the school to jump on the other freeway. So we had to practice lying flat on the ground in case some idiot decided to leave their car or started shooting at the police and stray bullets came in the direction of the school.

When I first started at that school, shooting by gang members at night were pretty common. But, the matriarch of the major gang for our area also volunteered at the school because her grandchildren went there. So we never had problems with graffiti or gang problems on campus. The hard part for us was trying to keep our kids out of the hands of the gangs. Eventually, the gang pretty much died out as the members were either in jail or dead. There was some start ups over the years but they never really became a major problem.

Oh lovely. So not only an earthquake dodger but bullet avoider and hands on social scientist. Hope you got a medal. Glad the gangs faded away, maybe it was involving the community eg the matriarch that did it?

Oh lovely. So not only an earthquake dodger but bullet avoider and hands on social scientist. Hope you got a medal. Glad the gangs faded away, maybe it was involving the community eg the matriarch that did it?

Having her there helped in some ways, although she was constantly fighting with the other matriarch on campus. Life was a lot more calmer once their grandchildren moved on to the next school. But the gang died out and that helped a lot. There were always some problems, but the night shootings stopped. Stories about who was shot over the weekend stopped which helped with some of the emotional issues of some of the kids. Every once in a while there would be a shooting, but it was nothing like the 80s and 90s.

I think one of the hardest things, besides the earthquake, that we had to get through was the LA riots in '92. I was at a different school. We were surrounded by some of the most difficult areas. Lots of fires and looting. We had to cancel some outdoor activities and they finally cancelled school for a couple of days. Lots of scared kids during that time. That was the closest any kind of issue came to where I was living. Lots of looting of stores a couple of blocks from where I was living at that time.

Teaching is eventful. :)

Having her there helped in some ways, although she was constantly fighting with the other matriarch on campus. Life was a lot more calmer once their grandchildren moved on to the next school. But the gang died out and that helped a lot. There were always some problems, but the night shootings stopped. Stories about who was shot over the weekend stopped which helped with some of the emotional issues of some of the kids. Every once in a while there would be a shooting, but it was nothing like the 80s and 90s.

I think one of the hardest things, besides the earthquake, that we had to get through was the LA riots in '92. I was at a different school. We were surrounded by some of the most difficult areas. Lots of fires and looting. We had to cancel some outdoor activities and they finally cancelled school for a couple of days. Lots of scared kids during that time. That was the closest any kind of issue came to where I was living. Lots of looting of stores a couple of blocks from where I was living at that time.

Teaching is eventful. :)

People forget the folks at the front line trying to cope. I like the (forgive me) ludicrous stoicism of cancelling "some" outdoor activities and school cancelled for "a couple of days." In a riot zone. I don't know I'm born. :)

People forget the folks at the front line trying to cope. I like the (forgive me) ludicrous stoicism of cancelling "some" outdoor activities and school cancelled for "a couple of days." In a riot zone. I don't know I'm born. :)

We weren't in the worst area, just surrounded on three sides. We could see fires, over the weekend there was looting of the stores. But while school was in session, we were safe as long as we stayed on campus. :)

We weren't in the worst area, just surrounded on three sides. We could see fires, over the weekend there was looting of the stores. But while school was in session, we were safe as long as we stayed on campus. :)

Right, I'd better buzz off. see you soon, heroic one :)

Good Morning CPI

California, here we come! 3 days exercise then the wedding followed by another 3 days exercise.

Evening all. Still on the go slow so just a brief check in. Get my 'zooooom' back tomorrow;)

:heart:Uggg:heart:

*wakes up quite musty under a dirty blanket in the comfy chair with a very bright sunbeam bearing down, notices that there must have been a lot of people under the blanket recently. Searches for the Teapot, finds it, blinks into the sun and heads to the bar to refill it*

Hi everyone, hope you are all well *he says to anyone in the room, before returning to the blanket to lurk a bit*

*noms on a snuggly badger*

I cannot believe that this time next week I will be on my way to NYC for my honeymoon! I don’t know how much sleep I’ll get because if England are still in the World Cup I’ll be spending my wedding night watching football! As the late great Bill Shankley once said “Football is not a matter of life and death. It’s much more important than that!”

My family arrive tomorrow and the Lionesses late tonight. They’ve got special training with a break for the weekend. I want to thank everyone for their messages of support. I will try to get round to replying to you in time.

Catch up soon. 💕 💖 💗

Back