Here comes the Sun

HarryHill

Hairy fucker
Well Folks, thought I'd give you another nudge to ease my post challenge boredom. After searching for what I thought was a simple question with a simple answer, I found it all depends on where your head's at and how long you want to read.

Write a poem of any length from the material found in this Sundial-Wikipedia article full of yummie words and thought provoking information. Have fun or tell me to stick it where the sun don't shine. there's some short citations from Chaucer and Henry VI, part 3 if you get that far. I'll be in the shade where it's cool.

Ha! Ya beat me to the next challenge, so impatient, lol.

off to wiki...

ETA: Dude! There's like equations and shit! :eek: I agree there's some fun words and I liked the 1st bit o' Chaucer but overall, it made my head hurt. This one's gonna be a stretch for me.

Last edited:
Ha! Ya beat me to the next challenge, so impatient, lol.

off to wiki...

ETA: Dude! There's like equations and shit! :eek: I agree there's some fun words and I liked the 1st bit o' Chaucer but overall, it made my head hurt. This one's gonna be a stretch for me.
It's not a challenge, no rules, no time length, all I wanted to know was what direction to point the damn thing

It's not a challenge, no rules, no time length, all I wanted to know was what direction to point the damn thing

Ha, did you have any luck figuring out the equations? I gave up on Math when they stole my lovely numbers, replaced them with letters and demanded I give them back numbers.

Haven't made it past the first page and am already rolling some words around...

Now I have images of sundials and water needles and compasses screwed up by magnets just spinning around ... lol. Off to read and see if I've learned anything!!

Well Folks, thought I'd give you another nudge to ease my post challenge boredom. After searching for what I thought was a simple question with a simple answer, I found it all depends on where your head's at and how long you want to read.

Write a poem of any length from the material found in this Sundial-Wikipedia article full of yummie words and thought provoking information. Have fun or tell me to stick it where the sun don't shine. there's some short citations from Chaucer and Henry VI, part 3 if you get that far. I'll be in the shade where it's cool.

even this - near the start - sounds like the beginnings of a poem:

Some sundials use a shadow
or the edge of a shadow
to indicate the time....

Hmmm....."the edge of a shadow".......nice.

from here:
There are different types of sundials. Some sundials use a shadow or the edge of a shadow while others use a line or spot of light to indicate the time.

The shadow-casting object, known as a gnomon, may be a long thin rod, or other object with a sharp tip or a straight edge. Sundials employ many types of gnomon. The gnomon may be fixed or moved according to the season. It may be oriented vertically, horizontally, aligned with the Earth's axis, or oriented in an altogether different direction determined by mathematics.

even there, certain phrases just sing out - this may be time for a 'found' poem'

from here:
There are different types of sundials. Some sundials use a shadow or the edge of a shadow while others use a line or spot of light to indicate the time.

The shadow-casting object, known as a gnomon, may be a long thin rod, or other object with a sharp tip or a straight edge. Sundials employ many types of gnomon. The gnomon may be fixed or moved according to the season. It may be oriented vertically, horizontally, aligned with the Earth's axis, or oriented in an altogether different direction determined by mathematics.

even there, certain phrases just sing out - this may be time for a 'found' poem'

I liked the part about a 'cannon sundial' BOOM Okay folks, that's lunch

I looked at your sun dial
in a complete denial
of your reflected light,
...:confused: (reflects)
the shades proved me right.

Typo edited

Last edited:
Counting the days
with sunshine
and shadows
traced across
my face. Though
when there's cloud
I'll rest, until drawn
once more into
the unending
pursuit of time.

Not mine just funny :D
The Sundial Limerick

A sailor who slept in the sun
Awoke with his trousers undone.
He observed with a smile
“Just look...a sundial”
And it's reading a quarter to one"

Pete Swanstrom

as the shadow creeps
i tell him
it is safer to look at the edge
than into the sun
let me be your moon
full of silver caresses
rather than be the one
to burn those blue eyes black

Creating shadows could fit here however I should awake the sleeping muse and see if there's anything in there worth rattling off there are some delicious phrases words and thoughts in the article!

Creating shadows could fit here however I should awake the sleeping muse and see if there's anything in there worth rattling off there are some delicious phrases words and thoughts in the article!

there are! so many that i've shied away and just borrowed the one image. maybe i'll find time another day to use the poetic bounty in that article. probably not, though :eek:

wake it, tods, wake it.

the lines of linearity
cast a shadow that doubts
in your presence
I can't tell the time
your light confuses my axis
horizontal planes but
I was set vertically
aligned by the signs of Polaris

I see in your glance that you
know the calculations to
reset me