Literotica Authors and Their Books (For Literotica Authors ONLY)

MorganHawke

Experienced
Joined
May 7, 2000
Posts
86
main.php


"DEMONESS"
by Morgan Hawke
Originally posted on Literotica.com!

Mojo Castle Books

Genre: Erotica / Paranormal / Fantasy / Horror

Cassandra is a very modern if Satanic exotic Dancer. Little does she guess what adventure Satan has in mind for her in Medieval Paris...

Before Cassandra stepped from the magic circle in the bowels of the Magister's palace she learned two things: that she had been conjured to seduce a Priest and that she really was a Demoness obedient to the will of the Magister that conjured her. It all seemed like a grand adventure, at first...

Then she discovered that her demonic powers had a blood-thirsty will of its own and the Priest was a member of the deadly Spanish Inquisition who had killed all the women previously sent to seduce him.

4 Roses! from Love Romances.com

Read an excerpt?
 
Last edited:
Congradulations Morgan! Great cover too, love the colors. I hope sales soar for you!
Good promotional tease too. It makes me want to find out more.



Live the dream,
Omni :rose:
 
Hello, Madam Cliterotica. It's been a long time, you naughty webmistress, you! :)

Well, done on the book, Morgan.

Life as a jet-setting novelist still eludes me but I did have a couple of my stories published in the UK edition of 'Forum: International Journal Of Human relations', including an early version of 'Go Faster!'.
 
aplause

Nice one Morgan, love the covers, well done friend hope they make it big for you.


pops................:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :D
 
Huzzah! Thank you, Laurel, excellent idea.

Allow me to jump on the bandwagon with my newest:

blackroses_cover_small.jpg


Presenting Black Roses , a novel of demonic sexual obsession.

This is the first of the Trinity Bay books, a series of horror novels set in a fictional coastal northern California town.

Author: Christine Morgan
Publisher: Sabledrake Enterprises
Release Date: July 2003
Pages: 300
Price: $14.95

Sabledrake
 
so both authors use the name morgan...is this my gateway to success?

"The Dark Evening" by Chicklet Morgan
 
Chicklet said:
so both authors use the name morgan...is this my gateway to success?

"The Dark Evening" by Chicklet Morgan
Yes, yes! And they both involve demons, so:

"Demon Butt Sex" by Openthighs Morgan.



(Congratulations to you both, by the way!)
 
perhaps all doing an homage to the great Chesty Morgan?
 
PhoenixPrime & ruralgoddess are Published!! :D

Current title: "She will be Mine"
Pending titles: "A Sexual Escapade Goes Awry" in two volumes with more of them to come.
"A Rapist's Journal"
Released: "She will be Mine" on March 18th, 2003
"A Sexual Escapade Goes Awry" this month in two volumes with two new chapters in Vol 2 btw. *wink and grin*, Vol 3 is in the works.
Price: 8.50 USD; Instant download $8.50 (long) or $5.45 (short) by MasterCard, Visa, AmEx from secure server, no address or membership required.
View Book: http://bdsmbooks.com/libraryPPrg/PPrg.htm
Words: "She Will Be Mine" = 85,000
Formats: Available by download to disc or print it out
Genre: Erotica / Nonconsensual? / BDSM

A note from the authors to our readers/helpers:
Many thank you's to our readers for their comments and advice on "A Sexual Escapade Goes Awry" when we began to write as a team.
You were and are our invaluable helpers. It was greatly appreciated and, as you can see, it all worked friends. *GBS*
Oh, by the way, the cover picture is of ruralgoddess. Hope that entices you to go and take a look. *L

To Laurel and Manu, thank you so very much for hosting this site. Without it what we've accomplished wouldn't have been possible. Your time, work and efforts are greatly appreciated by all I promise you both. *s*
May your success continue and thanks for the Interactive SRP too, my 'relaxation' place to go and play. *BG
 
Last edited:
Congratulations

COngratulations to all the authors but especially to Rural Goddess and Prime. YOu earned it with your blood ,sweat and tears and if any of the research was fun that can always be another story. May it be a huge success. I always thought you needed a castle R.G. a dungeon and lots of staff ;-)
 
On behalf of rg and from myself THANKS Maggie. :D
I think we'd both like that scenario.. Hell I know that we would. *L

If you get a copy please let us know how you liked it when you've read it.

I'll pass this on to rg for you Maggie.
 
Congrats to all! I love the cover art- that alone is a reason to publish! (IMHO)

Hope you'll start a thread and share your 'secrets' with the rest of us.:)


I can't wait till I have something of my own to post here.

wistful sigh....
 
sweetnpetite > I wish I had some secret, but in my case it's just been a long and grueling process peppered with shady agents, unsupportive publishers, pitfalls, setbacks, and tooth-gnashing frustration. I'm only where I am because of sheer bloody-minded stubborn persistence. I could certainly give some pointers on what NOT to do, though!

Sabledrake
 
What not to do- that works too!

Sabledrake said:
sweetnpetite > I wish I had some secret, but in my case it's just been a long and grueling process peppered with shady agents, unsupportive publishers, pitfalls, setbacks, and tooth-gnashing frustration. I'm only where I am because of sheer bloody-minded stubborn persistence. I could certainly give some pointers on what NOT to do, though!

Sabledrake
 
What not to do ...

Big Tip Number One: if you get a form letter rejection slip with a typo in it, do _not_ write back a snarky note to the publisher telling them that if they are going to be inconsiderate enough to use a form letter, they could at least proofread it.

Big Tip Number Two: don't trust any agent who requires reading fees or tries to sell you on a "book doctor."

Big Tip Number Three: any publisher who has to make a point of stating that they're not a subsidy/vanity press probably really is, just calling it by some other name.

Other Tips:
-- Grow a really thick skin
-- Expect to wait months and months to hear back (I once waited 18 months for a form letter turn-down from Del Rey)
-- Always include an SASE and contact info (phone, e-mail)
-- Never address something to "Dear Editor;" learn his/her name and, in those ambiguous cases, find out if it's a he or a she
-- Follow all submission guidelines exactly; don't give them any possible extra reasons to say no

Sabledrake
 
I love your big tips Sabledrake

Yes, it's definitely a waste of effort involving yourself in a pedantic exercise with the form letter authors... :)

One of my rejections came back in the form of comments scrawled across my synopsis... that was one for the framers!

And I wonder if anyone has come across small publishers who encourage the author to contribute to publication costs...?
 
Seamus > if they're asking the author to contribute to publication costs in any way, even if it's disguised as asking the author to "buy X amount of copies in advance," they're a vanity/subsidy press whether they say so or not.

I've gotten quite an assortment of rejections. Some are just "Not for us, sorry," scribbled across the cover letter. The 'rejection slip fortune cookie' is a favorite -- tiny scrap of paper with a one-line turn-down; they must be able to get fifty of them on a single sheet of paper.

Sabledrake
 
REALITY CHECK ~ Writing for Profit

Writing for Profit
It's Not just an Adventure - It's a JOB

Whoever told you that writing fiction for publication - for money - is supposed to be Artistic, Fun, or Easy -- LIED.

Writing may look artistic, and creative writing certainly is artistic (that's why they call it Creative Writing,) but writing for a living - writing for publication with the intent to get paid on a regular basis - is NOT artistic - it's NOT always fun and it certainly is NOT easy.

Writing for publication is WORK. Sure, some of it is fun, but the bulk of it is mind-bending, eye-straining work. Don't get me wrong, creativity is part of the job of writing for a living... But if you think us professional writers turn on "the Creative Muse" at 8 AM and shut her back off again at 5:30 PM then you are missing the point entirely.

The Road to publication is paved with glamorous Half-Truths.

  • Half-Truth: "If you write it - it will Sell."
  • Whole Truth: "If you write it, and the publishing house is already looking for it - they'll publish it."
If you have written a spectacular SCI-FI story and the Publisher is looking for a Mystery story, they will pass over your wonderful SCI-FI for a Mystery one with only half the quality of your SCI-FI, because Mystery is what they have an opening for - not SCI-FI.

And when they hang onto your stuff for months - or even years - at a time? Think of it this way: They're probably waiting for an opening that they have the perfect story for.


  • Half-Truth: "Once you're in with a good publisher - you're in for life!"
    [*]Whole Truth: "Once you're in with a good publisher - you have to prove that you can Write on Demand."
While your name is still sitting on the `net (or the shelf,) you have until the next publishing cycle to punch out another story equally as good. (One month for your average magazine and one year for a novel.)

Only this time, the publisher is going to tell you what they want: "Gimme the same story, different characters, same plot arc but move some stuff around - oh and this time, don't have them do this, the readers don't like it, have them do that instead." (Sigh.)

Look at it this way: You don't have to guess what the publisher wants this time around.


  • Half-Truth: "Once I'm in with a good publisher - I can write whatever I want..."
    [*]Whole Truth: "If you want to stay with that good publisher you better write, what they want, when they want it, in the way they want it written."
You're going to tell the publisher that you will only write what YOU want to write? Do you really think any publishing house is going to hire a writer that won't do what they want them to do? Unless you are Susie Bright or Anne Rice: "Game-Over, man. Game-Over."

Time to go back to your desk, find a new pen name, punch out yet another novel - and go through the whole damn thing all over again to find another publisher. Only this time your new publishing house will call your old publishing house and ask what the problem was. Why aren't you with Them anymore?

Let me repeat myself: Do you really think a publishing house is going to hire a writer that won't write what they want them to write?

You want to make money? Then you knuckle under and Work your butt off to deliver what the publisher is asking for.

Writing for Publication is NOT about creativity. It's about Money.
Writing for a living is about sitting at a desk, in an office, every day and WRITING whether or not you `feel like it'. Does this make you less artistic? Does this mean that you are not being creative? Does this make you a hack writer?

Forget all that stuff - it makes you EMPLOYED.

What else would you call it? Authors telecommute their work - and progress - to their editors and get paid for it. The faster they write the faster they're paid. The better they conform to the publishing house's demands, the better they are paid. End story.

A publisher is in the business of selling Books or Magazines - not displaying Art or promoting Literature. They are looking for what THEY want, WHEN they want it in the WAY they want it. Period. If you can sneak interesting, different and Creative writing in between their formulaic demands GREAT! They Love that! But in the mean time - the rest of your work had better conform to what they want.

What if the Muse strikes and you get a terrific idea? Great! Write it between assignments and make the publisher PAY through the Nose to get it.


  • Half-Truth: "I can make a fortune writing Sex stories..."
    [*]Whole Truth: "You can make a fortune writing sex stories - if you sell it to a top publishing house, and it ends up on the New York Times Bestseller list - in one of the top 5 positions."
Erotic Romance is currently the Largest & most profitable market in bothe eBooks and NY print. Authors for ePublishing Houses like Loose Id, Mojo Castle and Samhain are making rather tidy - and regular - royalties on their erotica novels, but not a fortune.

The Sex-story or Porn Letter on the other hand, is much faster and far easier to crank out at volume. It's also steadier work than erotica and it pays better per word count. ($25.00 to $150.00 per letter at 15,000 words max.)

What? Did you think adult magazine Letters were written by Amateurs? Hell no! Those are professional writers. Trust me, a magazine editor will accept and pay more for a letter written by a professional writer than anything written by an amateur. In addition: the more expensive the magazine, the more they'll (probably) pay their writers.

Note: The writing standards for Erotica Markets are higher than those asking for Sex Stories.

Translation: To write erotica, you have to use basic grammar, characterization and a PLOT.


-----Original Message-----
"What a wonderful rant! And here I was thinking that perhaps my being a mercenary writer was an anomaly! Fortunately, I have been doing everything you state here since I started, and people have become very annoyed with me because I keep succeeding when they fail… But even writing isn't everything. Your post didn't go far enough...

You also have to SELL.

  • Half-Truth: "Once your masterpiece is in print, people will buy it, love it, and demand more."
    [*]Whole Truth: "People will buy it if they KNOW about it, will love it if the reviewers tell them it's wonderful, and will demand more if they know more are possible."
You also have to SELL. Sell yourself, sell your book and sell your ability to do it all over again. The publisher doesn't want to work. They want to put the book on the shelf and have people slavering over it. But that doesn't just *happen* all by itself. Someone has to hype it, and it won't be the publisher.

The author must tell the readers. The author must solicit the reviewers, must produce press releases and attend book signings and make sure the readers know there will be new books.

"But thanks for bolstering me up a bit. It's a lonely life in front of the computer, pushing and pushing to get noticed. Apparently, it's worth the trouble!"

~ Cathy Clamp ~ Published Author



Does all this seem like Too Much Work?
The average 60k category-length book takes 6 to 8 MONTHS to write.
  • And then you have to Edit the manuscript, which takes about a month just for typos - that's if you already know your grammar and have the basics of story structure.
  • And then you have to Shop it to the publishers, this alone can take YEARS, (Christine Feehan had a over half a dozen full novels WRITTEN before she was noticed by her publisher.)
  • And then you have to negotiate with the publishers, which can take months just in haggling over contract clauses.
  • And then you have to Edit the story AGAIN to what the Publisher thinks they can sell. This can mean ripping out whole hunks of plot and rewriting your characters to make them more suitable for THEIR reading audience. Add a few more months.
  • And then it may be a Year or More before it ever shows up on the shelf.
Don't even THINK about royalties unless you sell spectacularly well. And even if you do sell well, royalties won't even show up until a full YEAR AFTER PUBLICATION.

Writing Is NOT a Get-Rich-Quick career - by any means.

Writing is TIME CONSUMING hard freaking work. Make no mistake - Writing for Profit is a 24/7 JOB - not something you pump out on the weekends when you're bored.

If you are prepared for the realities of Publication, you CAN Profit, in the long run. But - Not everyone wants to devote their entire waking life to research and typing.

The big question is: What Do YOU Really WANT?

~ What is more crucial to your Personal Writing Happiness? ~

Your Artistic Expression?
Then you are a "Recreational writer"; someone who writes for the sheer pleasure of doing something creative. You are an Artist. Your future consists of publishing one 'great work', with the possibility of publishing another 'great work' a few years (or more) later on down the road - and never with the same publishing house.

Making Money?
You are a "Mercenary writer" who will pump out what ever is asked for in a timely professional manner. You have all the traits of a professional Ghostwriter. Most ghostwriters make better money than most authors - because their books sell off the shelves every time. They're writing under someone else's already established and popular name.
What? Did you really think those big-time authors that wrote 3-6 books a year, wrote them All By Themselves??? HELL NO! They have a staff and / or ghostwriters to support them - and that staff gets paid - and paid well.

Fame?
That makes you an "Aspiring Author". You certainly have your work cut out for you. This is what Anne Rice writing Adult fiction under the name: AN Roquelaure, and horror author Steven King have done. Dean Koontz used to write smut and gothic romance to pay his bills. They worked their butts off writing for their publishers pumping out work after work, after work - all by themselves with no support, until they made a name big enough to dictate their demands to their publishers. And since they don't have a support staff - they don't have to share their profits either.

~ How do I know all this? ~

I actually write erotic fiction for a living. However, before that, I was the copy editor, publicist, and house writer for AEBN - Adult Entertainment Broadcasting Network. This is where I learned all about writing articles on demand. Somebody had to write all that filler text - and make it interesting.

I'm currently living on my ebook royalties. That's right - Paying my bills by writing Romantic SMUT full time. I write what I'm told to write, when I'm told to write it about things that I'm told to write about, because I'm being paid to do just that.

I'm a Mercenary Writer.

~ Advice to the Burgeoning Writer ~

Write every spare moment you have and FINISH your work. Always have at least two people check your grammar and your sentence structure. Have at least two more people read your stuff and check it for:

  • Readability: Can you tell exactly what's happening to who? And How?
  • Story-Drag: Is it Boring? Did your reader skim over any of your paragraphs to "Get to the Good Stuff"?
  • Effectiveness: Does it get you hot?

BEFORE SUBMITTING ANYWHERE!!!

Read their Submission Guidelines carefully.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Send the editors exactly what they are looking for. Close is not good enough. If they are looking for Erotic Romance, then your story had better be sexually explicit and have an adventure plot plus involve a couple falling in love.

In short, to interest an Erotic Romance publisher, you need to write a Pulp Fiction with romance in the mix.

Be willing to work with the editors on requested changes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Many editors try to be gentle with their comments to new authors and have been known to understate what they mean. That does not make their comment random or invalid! If an editor goes to the trouble of noting something about your story, take it very seriously.

Remember - you are Writing to Sell and Publication Editors are looking for authors to fill their readers requests. They are there to make their publishing house look good by making YOU look good.

This has been your Reality Check announcement.

Morgan Hawke
Mercenary Writer – and darn proud of it.
 
Last edited:
BS* Pat on the back, handshake and I'll buy the first round to congradualte you Morgan.
As the Aussie's would say, "Good on ya mate."
 
It's an interesting article, that Macbride Allen - Standard Deviations. I enjoyed reading it. He throws down some challenges that seemingly require the human instinct to take them on. What do you think?

I wrote a little story to post on Lit that attempted the unnamed character challenge, inspired by the read.

:)
 
Back
Top