Your feedback is appreciated...

I also think it's worth mentioning that, given the nature of the story, Ebonhawk is just a formal writer. I think a lot of people in this thread are taking his answers in ways he did not intend.

He's not being sarcastic.
 
Moving on to your saying that you discussed the comments with “similarly minded person.” I don’t have any friends who know about my writing so no one with whom to discuss. But surely “similarly minded person” would only reinforce your own opinion? You need to discuss the comments with someone who is not biased in your favour or against it.

I have a feeling that you are putting words in my mouth or filling in the blanks. The appositive is actually true here. I spoke with a person that is familiar with my writing and noted the comments related to emotional communication, the world building versus the informed reader and similar feedback, presenting it all in a very positive light, noting that it was something I did not consider and it has offered me a unique point of view I did not anticipate.

I also noted that it is possible that others who have read my work and know me in person (and in real life) have done some transference of what they know about me and my other activities (interest in literature or game mastering for example) onto my writing work, hence why I did not think their reviews (and they were positive) were of a particularly high/accurate value. I came here looking for a constructive criticism from people who knew nothing about me and thanks to Jada, Melissa and AwkwardMD I think I got it.

What I did not come here for is to be lectured by people or have people assume the worse of me. So, I do ask for the benefit of the doubt, especially in context and with a view on the entirety of my comments :)
 
I also think it's worth mentioning that, given the nature of the story, Ebonhawk is just a formal writer. I think a lot of people in this thread are taking his answers in ways he did not intend.

He's not being sarcastic.

Funny you mentioned that. I am a senior IT professional in real life. Electronic communication with clients is a critical part of my work as is the logic and politeness that accompanies it. It is entirely possible that this (my) kind/method of communication is not best suited for this kind/type of forum.
 
I am not going to give you any advice on your work. That’s because, having only had three stories published, I dont think I have the experience to do so. But I still believe I can make a valid comment.

I also asked for constructive criticism on my first story. Naturally I thought it was marvellous and that any criticism would be minor. Instead I got ripped apart. But in a helpful way. I took all the advice into account and my second story was an improvement and my third story even more so.

All the advice you have received is, as in my case, genuine. Please respect the time that these writers have spent in reading your work, considering it, and giving you a response.

With all due respect, I fail to see how my stating my own shortcomings is lecturing you? Who are the people assuming the worst of you? Certainly not me. Nor can I see anywhere I have put words in your mouth or filled in any blanks. All that I, or anyone else, can do is to respond to what you’ve written.

Also, although you may not agree with some of what others have written in response to your request you should respect their comments. You can’t pick and choose comments. You can’t like comments that you agree with and dismiss, or be offended by, comments that don’t say what you want.
 
Funny you mentioned that. I am a senior IT professional in real life. Electronic communication with clients is a critical part of my work as is the logic and politeness that accompanies it. It is entirely possible that this (my) kind/method of communication is not best suited for this kind/type of forum.
There's a bit of "rough and tumble" to get used to on these forums, where folk will weigh in with their opinions based on a quick read of one or two posts but possibly not the whole thread. Whereas you will have the knowledge of the whole thread in mind, and may expect every participant to have read it as deeply as you wrote it. That's unwise - people skim, they may read the words carelessly. Also, remember there are cultural differences - we are many nations here, all using English as the single language, but it is not a common language, by no means. And if it's not your native language (I vaguely recall in your case it isn't but I'm not going back to check) then there's another layer of meaning to be unlocked.

So some points, just let them go - as we have found on this thread, what is an explanation from you is taken as defensive by someone else. Emirus just now saying, yes, genuine advice, consider it please, and the word "lecturing" arrives. You see how quickly the rocket can go off, the bomb can explode?

What also happens, is that regular posters know each other through their words here; they've picked up along the way that this person has written autism, that person has aspergers, someone has done time in prison, someone else has PTSD or anxiety, that person is from the north of England, that one from the south, and you've got five Australians, two Canucks, and someone who eats far too much cheese. Know what I'm saying? We've all got a bit of history that the new boy on the block needs to take on board, we've all got opinions and are not afraid to say them. We're all right, we're all wrong, and only you can decide what is useful for you - picking your middle course out of polar opposite advice is what it's all about here.

Welcome aboard, mate, and remember, it's only words ;).
 
Last edited:
As I have previously stated, I asked for constructive advice on my first story. One of the comments from several people was that I’d selected the wrong category. I’d selected T&C and the consensus was that I should have selected NonCon. I had been undecided but subsequently accepted that I had chosen incorrectly.

This is the text of one comment. The capitals are mine and not the original text:

“IT’S ALSO NON-CON. You need to tell people that, before inviting commentary in the feedback forum. And BECAUSE OF THAT, for me, it was a DISTASTEFUL little story, DEMEANING, UGLY, a turn off, an extremely unpleasant protagonist. I skimmed through to the end to make sure it had the site’s obligatory “but the victim must eventually like it” trope - which unfortunately it did. I didn’t score it, and now NEED A SHOWER TO WASH MY MIND OF IT. Oh, and DONT RELY ON SPELL CHECK. “Passed” and “past” have two quite different meanings, I suspect there are more errors like that, but once I realised it was celebrating rape and ending with a blackmail set-up, well, ONE DOESNT CARE MUCH about spelling any more. Learn better punctuation. Your dialogue is STILTED and UNNATURAL. Your characters have NO MOTIVATION. There, YOU BEGGED FOR ATTENTION. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR, and next time, FUCKING TELL PEOPLE it’s non-con first, okay?”

Now I’m not interested in any comparison between my work and yours or any other of your excuses.

Despite the offensive nature of the comment I accepted it, in the same way that I accepted all the other comments. I didn’t think that, because they didn’t say what I wanted them to say that, they were wrong and I was right. I didn’t ignore the comments. I didn’t make excuses to massage my pride and ego. I eventually, using the advice I’d been given, edited the story to make it better.

My second story was an improvement, as a result of my acceptance of the comments I’d received, and my third story was much better.

What would your response be to a comment such as the one I’ve quoted? What if your story had been ripped apart in such a vicious way? Would you have done the same as me? Would you have given up? Or would you have rejected the comment because it didn’t fit with your opinion of yourself?

DON’T ASK FOR COMMENTS IF ALL YOU WANT ARE PLAUDITS.
 
My second story was an improvement, as a result of my acceptance of the comments I’d received, and my third story was much better.
And Emirus now knows how to read between my lines, and the silly bigger still runs his stories past me ;). Anyway, I NEVER use capitals in my posts, you bastard.

This perfectly illustrates my earlier point that, after a while, folk get to know each other and their moods. I'm the author of the rant Emirus cites above (no capitals, mind) - not one of my better moments but then, his story really spoilt my Sunday morning - and he now knows me well enough to requote me in another context, knowing I won't give a rat's arse about it, won't take offence, and will probably have a word or two to say about it.

And that's what this forum is all about - giving good advice, giving rubbish advice, taking the piss, being kind, being nasty, having a bit of fun, solving a few problems of the world (first world problems, nobody's qualified to do anything else). And every now and then, you find a diamond. And that's when it's all worthwhile.
 
Simmer down. He was appreciative of your contribution, and a cooler head might help you see that.

How can I argue with someone on my favourite writer’s list? Consider my wrist soundly slapped!!!
 
Back
Top