The King and I (closed)

"Oh and you think that your revenge will be sweet? I doubt that. You might just try to exact your revenge and find that Max has betrayed you and led you into a trap of my own choosing."

He rose from his chair and crossed over to Charlie, he stole a kiss from her cheek and poured himself a cup of tea, realizing that he was in fact hungry. He picked up the sandwich left to himself and took his seat.
 
"Don't think you're so charming." Charlie said with a small grin as he took a sandwich for himself and settled in beside her.

They ate in partial silence, the calm of the moment interrupted from time to time as Max growled at his bone before settling back down. They had long ago reached the point in their relationship that they didn't need to talk. It was a nice moment for the both of them to recharge after a stressful time. He from the assassination attempt and she from being accused of it.

"Have you heard anything more about the situation?" She asked him as she took a sip from her tea, looking at him over the rim of her cup.
 
He shook his head, "Seems like they have started looking closer at the file they had and realized they might have acted in haste."

He took a bite and chewed on it, after swallowing it, he continued, "You might be called in for questioning again, but I doubt that it will be as heavy handed as last time. I think storming in there in a rage did kind of shake them to their senses. Just wish it could work like that everywhere."
 
"You can't really blame them. If something bad happens, it's best to look at those close to the target." Charlie said with a shrug of her shoulders, trying to seem as cool as could be about the entire situation. "Not that I found it a joy to be interrogated, but they were just doing their duty to the crown."
 
He harrumphed and got up, placing the cup and the plate back on the platter before sitting down to look over the documents again, "If you ask me they were a bit overzealous in their efforts to interrogate you. Almost like somebody had placed a bee in their collective bonnets."
 
"And finding that person is going to be the problem." Charlie said as Dave took his seat. "It's it fun to be the king?"
 
He nodded, "Indeed it is. But I do not doubt that the person will be found."

He glanced at her and gave her a smile, "Well apart from the personal help and the slight amount of power that comes with it, it is not too bad to be the prospective king. But I will be honest and say that I don't like it that much."

He looked at the papers again, "It's way too early."
 
"You'll make a good king, Dave. You just have to decide what kind of king you are going to be. I hope you aren't one that loses themselves in all of the paperwork." Charlie said with a smile as Max stood and came to rest his head in her lap. "Of course, I don't think I'll allow that to happen. I have to keep your schedule and your free time as stress free as possible."
 
He chuckled at her words,

"Ah and now you want to keep me from working, but just a few minutes ago it was good to see me finally working."

He gave her a wink and signed the papers he had before him, before placing them back in the folder. He stretched then and slumped back into the chair, "OK now that is done, saves me some time tomorrow so that means that I can have a few more laps in the pool before the day really starts."
 
"You and that pool." Charlie said with a laugh, standing from her own seat to stretch and take the tray of food to the door to be taken away by a servant. "I started planning that party today. In your sisters' honor, of course. You did say that you wanted them to have a reason to be happy after they had gotten into so much trouble."
 
He gave her a smirk, "Me and that pool yes. I never heard you complain about how good it is for my figure."

He got up and rubbed his hands over his face, messing up his hair in the process and then he tried to rake it back into position.

"I just hope they know that it is not a license for them to continue doing what they want to and get rewarded for bad behavior. But I also know that you will bring that under their attention."

He gave her a smile, "I really should marry you, I don't think there is a better equipped queen out there."
 
"I'm sure that there are, Dave." Charlie said as Max stood with a stretch and came to rest his head on her lap as he casually wagged his tail. "Especially those that have been born to the title and trained their entire lives. I'm simply the daughter of a bankrupt lord, compelled into service by your father to make sure that you stayed out of trouble."

She scratched behind Max's ears, grinning as the dog groaned happily.
 
"Women trained to be noble from childhood are not women who care for the people.

He rose and walked over to the window looking outside, before he turned to face her and self consciously moved to the side of the window.

"And you have been with me for years, you know how I work, you know how I treat the people and you know that I care and how I show that care. Show me any of those noblewomen who can do the same that I do and then I will listen to your argument."
 
"I'm not saying no, Dave, but you need to be prepared for the backlash. I can see it already. I'll be the golddigger that is in this only for your money. Give me a few children and I'll probably divorce you and take my bounty for somewhere warm and tropical." Charlie said, glancing at Dave as he stared at her while she scratched Max's ears. "I can take all of the bad things that they have to say about me, but can you? Will you start to resent me in time?"
 
He actually understood where she came from. Apart from always having been there with him, he was quite aware of her feelings about her own standing. He was just glad that it had never altered her feelings for and about him. It would just have killed a small part of him. Now he can admit it, now that they shared more than just a meal and that they both knew how they felt.

"Oh I can handle anything they say about you, I will defend you as much as I can. But..."

He gave her a small smile, "There is always a but isn't there? But if you do take the children away from me, then I will resent you."
 
"I could never do that to you. Even if we decided that we hated each other, I would never take something like that away from you. I think you'll be a good father when the time comes anyway. Why would I want to deprive a child of that?" Charlie asked, returning his small smile from where he stood next to the windows.
 
He chuckled softly, "And why would a mother like yourself ever abandon her children? No Charlie, I don't think we will ever hate each other and neither will be abandon nor hurt each other. The problem is not to convince ourselves of this, the problem is to let the kingdom and those around us see and understand this. Pity that by now they still don't know nor see."
 
"What we do together is our own business, Dave. No one else has any say in what we do." She said softly, knowing that if and when they took that last step together, they would not have to answer to anyone about their relationship. "Our children will be raised how we think they will be raised. I will be devoted to you and you will be devoted to me. No one else is going to tear us apart."
 
"And that dear lady, is the attitude you should be taking up."

He gave her a wink and stretched out,

"Well it is time for bed, it is getting late and tomorrow is one of those dreadful days of yours with meetings and orders and signatures and bleh."
 
"It's only until you're crowned. When that happens and everything is a bit more secure, all of this will calm down." Charlie promised, knowing that Dave was tired of the constant meetings, fittings, and endless plans. "It's far more for your country than for you. I'm sorry that you even have to do it in the first place."
 
He walked over to where she were seated and leaned down, placing his one hand on the arm rest and the other on the back rest, their faces close to each other. He gave her a lazy smile, "Doctors usually say that you have to suffer before you can get cured, but like the singing nanny said: A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down."

He grinned then and leaned in closer to give her a soft kiss
 
"You'll make a good king, Dave. Never let anyone ever tell you otherwise." Charlie said with a smile as he leaned in and kissed her. "Except for me. I'm the only opinion that really matters besides Max."

The dog happily thumped his tail on the ground at the sound of his name and she laughed, glancing down at the old hunting hound. "Let's go to bed. I feel like I could sleep for ages."
 
He chuckled at Max' reaction to her saying his name and knelt down to scratch the old dog behind the ears. The tail thumping continued in a lazy cadence as he groaned in pleasure. After a few moments Dave rose to his feet and offered his arm for Charlie, "Shall we?"
 
Charlie smiled as she took his arm and pulled herself out of the chair. She leaned in to kiss his cheek, sharing just a small moment with him before they turned to leave the room, Max following dutifully behind them. She could get used to moments like this. Little family moments that showed contentment and love. She hadn't had many moments like this in her own home and she was intent on making them happen whenever she possibly could.
 
"Do you know how many daughters are left for me to "meet"? I think your list held one more? Our neighbor to the South. "

He shuddered slightly at the thought, "A mad man that."
 
Back
Top