Seldom Used Words (Cont'd)

Og, your collection of books, now and in the future, add so much to this thread, that I must applaud your efforts and await the results with patience as well as much thanks.

New Thought - noun a mental healing movement embracing small groups devoted to spiritual healing and the creative power of constructive thinking

Og, your collection of books, now and in the future, add so much to this thread, that I must applaud your efforts and await the results with patience as well as much thanks.

New Thought - noun a mental healing movement embracing small groups devoted to spiritual healing and the creative power of constructive thinking

That sounds like another name for Transcendental Meditation.

My collection of books has to move tomorrow morning. I am having a fibre-optic line installed and I have to dismantle part of the desk on which my dictionaries sit. ;)

Or a ringer - a horse substituted in a race for the one supposed to be running.

Edited for: I can't find the reference to horse of another color because that would be under 'horse' in Volume 2 - that I don't have.:(

I think a ringer would be Another horse under the colors. :devil:

Unless the horse has been repainted to appear like the horse it is replacing.

Both horses would be raced under the same owner's colors. :devil:

Just so! Another horse under the color. (In either of the cases given above.) :devil: :devil:

Which brings us to the mathematical theorem that says All horses are the same color.

The proof is by mathematical induction, and, absent a specific request, I won't bore you with it.

Just so! Another horse under the color. (In either of the cases given above.) :devil: :devil:

Which brings us to the mathematical theorem that says All horses are the same color.

The proof is by mathematical induction, and, absent a specific request, I won't bore you with it.

Thank you for refraining.

But on horses, English and US uses vary.

We don't have a 'paint'. We do have a Grey, that is possibly white.

And we have whole horses, not quarter-horses.

I've never frained, you see.

Are you sure about that?

frain (third-person singular simple present frains, present participle fraining,simple past and past participle frained)

1. (rare or dialectal, chiefly Scotland) to ask, inquire; demand.  
  2. (rare or dialectal, chiefly Scotland) to question; to ask questions.

I had a long day and I am getting a little drunk on Sky and fresh squeezed mandarin oranges, very yummy.

I must admit, I love it when you guys carry on without me, and I have something fun to read, when I get back. Thanks from in between my big breasts.

newsy - adj filled with news; esp: GOSSIPY

Thank you, Tio, for linking the best definition of a horse of a different color ever filmed.

New Style - noun using or according to the Gregorian calendar

Thank Mother Nature, we are in a rain storm, lasting several days, and I couldn't be more pleased. I would happily shovel snow at this point.

newmarket - noun a long close-fitting coat worn in the 19th century

Thank Mother Nature, we are in a rain storm, lasting several days, and I couldn't be more pleased. I would happily shovel snow at this point.

Newmarket is also associated with horses. The main English racehorse trainers are based there.

Two from Historical Slang:

A fine morning to catch herrings on Newmarket Heath = Fine weather for ducks (Your rain storm). First mentioned 1639, in use to mid C18.

Newmarket Heath Commissioner = Highwayman circa 1800-1850. Highwaymen were common on Newmarket Heath because those attending the horse races were nobility carrying money with which to place bets on the horses.

Thank you, Og, for expanding my entry with some Historical Slang. Both of your contributions are rather funny, which I have found to be the case with the slang words you post from your book. I do love a good sense of humor.

New Criticism - noun an analytic literary criticism marked by concentration on language, imagery, and emotional or intellectual tensions

It's also the name of a card game.
I played it with Aunts & Uncles, cousins and so on as a kid. See Here.

Thank you, Og, for expanding my entry with some Historical Slang. Both of your contributions are rather funny, which I have found to be the case with the slang words you post from your book. I do love a good sense of humor.

New Criticism - noun an analytic literary criticism marked by concentration on language, imagery, and emotional or intellectual tensions

It was popular in the 1950s and when I was studying Shakespeare. I got higher marks in English Literature examinations for quoting New Criticism AND the older critics Pre-World War 1 e.g. A C Bradley's Shakespearean Tragedy. I made it clear that I thought New Criticism was not seeing the wood for the trees - concentrating on inessentials and not on the dramatic unities.

It didn't matter whether I was right or wrong. What mattered was that I hadn't read just the recommended 'new' critics, and had my own opinion.

Handley, thank you for the link to the Newmarket card game, it looks like a lot of fun even though I have never played it.

Og, I wondered if you had ever come across New Criticism and you had, of course. Thanks for the additional information, as always.

nevus - noun a congenital pigmented area on the skin: BIRTHMARK

nevus - noun a congenital pigmented area on the skin: BIRTHMARK

UK usage is naevus, plural naevi - usually a raised red patch on the skin - a strawberry birthmark.

Years ago, when in our old large house, we used to rent out a room to student artists. One of them had very pronounced brown birthmarks. She was spotted like a Dalmatian dog, not just on her face but all over her body.

After a few weeks we and our children forgot her birthmarks. She was, and is, a very nice lady. Her friends forgot too. One evening a visiting friend of hers took a phone call on our landline from yet another friend who had never met our resident artist. The caller had to meet the artist at a London station before they went to an exhibition together.

The visitor was describing the artist.

"She's about five feet four tall, short straight brown hair ..."

"What do you mean? That could be anyone?"

The artist tapped her friend on the shoulder and pointed to her face...

"Oh! Of course! You can't miss her. She's spotted like a Dalmatian!"

I have heard of strawberry birthmarks, Og, but never so many on one person. Your artist friend sounds like a very well-adjusted individual. My eldest son has a very large brown birthmark on his left forearm that now has a fair amount of thick hair growing out of it. He hated it as a kid, but has learned to live with it.

ne've' - noun the partially compacted granular snow that forms the surface part of the upper end of a glacier; broadly: a field of granular snow

I have heard of strawberry birthmarks, Og, but never so many on one person. Your artist friend sounds like a very well-adjusted individual. My eldest son has a very large brown birthmark on his left forearm that now has a fair amount of thick hair growing out of it. He hated it as a kid, but has learned to live with it.

ne've' - noun the partially compacted granular snow that forms the surface part of the upper end of a glacier; broadly: a field of granular snow

And if the field of granular snow overlies more slippery snow, then this happens:

http://uk.screen.yahoo.com/avalanche-narrowly-misses-houses-south-220029320.html

Keep watching, particularly what happens to the trees...

Last edited:

They can use a laser to fix it quickly these days.

Og, that was amazing footage of an avalanche. What power! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Handley, yes, I understand, but it is so large, it would need a graft from a hairy section to fill in and it is more trouble than it is worth at this point, but thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

I literally ran into this stuff at my grandparents' mountain cabin as a kid;

nettle(1) - noun any of a genus of chiefly coarse herbs armed with stinging hairs; also: any of many other prickly or stinging plants

And if the field of granular snow overlies more slippery snow, then this happens:

http://uk.screen.yahoo.com/avalanche-narrowly-misses-houses-south-220029320.html

Keep watching, particularly what happens to the trees...

I live in Colorado, where we lose an average of six or seven people every winter to avalanches—rarely as spectacular as this one.

Having the granular snow underlie one or more layers of new snow is generally worse. The grains tend to become rounder and slipperier with age, so that the granular layer becomes a weak layer that can, and often does, give way under the load of the layer(s) on top of it.

Back