What kind of girls interest you as a writer?

My favorite female character is Claudia in A Valentine's Day Mess. I named her after a friend from grad school who was a talented soccer player and went on to become a professor at a major university, a department chairman, and (last I checked) head of a research group at a national laboratory.

Claudia is as feminine as she can be, until you suggest that's all she is. She's a farm girl who as a child trained as a competitive figure skater, who runs to stay in shape, and who rides and trains horses. She's a pre-law student in college. She's strong, and as the oldest of five adopted siblings, she responsible. When she needs to be, she's also an absolutely fearless fighter.

And she really likes sex.

She sounds fantastic.

... which is why there's such physical variation in the women you write...

*whistles innocently*
Hmm, there are a lot of petite women in EB's stories...
Most of my female protagonists tend to have a small build, though if they're so inclined are usually attracted to taller women with bigger breasts. It could be because that's the way I am, but I happen to think there are many advantages to being petite that taller people often overlook ;)

Most of my female protagonists tend to have a small build, though if they're so inclined are usually attracted to taller women with bigger breasts. It could be because that's the way I am, but I happen to think there are many advantages to being petite that taller people often overlook ;)

Lower centre of gravity, which is good for grappling. Ability to walk under tables without ducking.

Able to be packed in his suitcase when he goes away without going over his baggage limit...

Lower centre of gravity, which is good for grappling. Ability to walk under tables without ducking.

Able to be packed in his suitcase when he goes away without going over his baggage limit...

For the record, I grapple back, limbo under tables, and have been put inside a duffel bag before so that's not funny!

I confess, I do have a "type", I've had it all my life - so I write what I know and like. I've got a few taller women in my next big thing, but... for every tall character, there's a smaller woman. Big breasts rarely appear, although I do find a blaze of freckles disappearing into a touch of cleavage a bit of a thing, from time to time.

Clearwater drives me nuts though, he writes bloody gorgeous women, but he only gives them supporting roles. I'm working on him (but not holding my breath) :).

She sounds fantastic.

The real one or the fantasy? The real one had a Guatemalan neurosurgeon for a father and an American classical pianist for a mother. Her boyfriend was on Argentina's national soccer team at a time when Argentina was a major power in FIFA soccer. And she was very attractive.

The fictional Claudia recalls ancestral memories and tells stories from past lives: an indigenous woman building a life after escaping genocide in the 1930's, a young mestizo kidnapped into a life-long relationship around 1800, and a Spanish courtesan caught up in Portuguese resistance to Spanish takeover around 1545.

The story gets very dense. I congratulate the readers who can get through it.

I'm not sure where she goes from here, but she will always be strong.

I confess, I do have a "type", I've had it all my life - so I write what I know and like. I've got a few taller women in my next big thing, but... for every tall character, there's a smaller woman. Big breasts rarely appear, although I do find a blaze of freckles disappearing into a touch of cleavage a bit of a thing, from time to time.

Clearwater drives me nuts though, he writes bloody gorgeous women, but he only gives them supporting roles. I'm working on him (but not holding my breath) :).

Doesn't he all.
My guys are all tall (usually with black hair) so there's that too.
I wonder if other bi women make their protagonists like themselves physically and their love interests like the ones they're attracted to?
Men?

My male characters, so far, have all been versions of me at different ages (so I basically write what I know) - Ixtil the angel being the first notable exception to that rule.

Clearwater the ungrateful sod gets a cameo in my next big thing, and it's on that basis that he reckons he's got a foot in the door for re-gendering all of my female leads. But the more he insists the more I resist. The more he tries the more I denies.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but no.

My male characters don't look like me. They probably think like I think, but not always. I don't go into a lot of physical description, but in my mind probably more than half of my male character are, or at least look, Latin American. Most of the others just look like some of the Anglo kids I grew up with.

For the most part, my female characters don't resemble my wife, either physically or in personality. One of my early stories had someone like her as a character. The women in my stories may borrow personalities from women I've known, but their physical appearance is usually just a convenient creation.

I want all my characters, all genders, to be more interesting than myself. That's not hard.

... which is why there's such physical variation in the women you write...

*whistles innocently*

Stop it. That's just downright mean. EB has plenty of variety. Some of them are tall enough to need slightly more than 6 buttons. Some of them also have almost straight, yet still long enough to cascade hair.

I like hot chicks who really enjoy sex, sometimes with two or three men at a time. Most important, they are not coy about it and will take the initiative.

Funny women.

That's "funny ha-ha" not "funny peculiar". Although some of the women in my stories are a little peculiar too.

Stop it. That's just downright mean. EB has plenty of variety. Some of them are tall enough to need slightly more than 6 buttons. Some of them also have almost straight, yet still long enough to cascade hair.

Oh, I forgot about the variation in their clothing preferences. Buttons 6-16 (I think it was?).

Actually, he's moved on from buttons now. It's all second skins and alien appendages.

Which... if you think about it, IS one step closer to a gender change....

Oh, Eebs, your computer should be male, btw. Can you imagine Jesse's confused voice saying 'Hey boyfriend,' and Jonah responding, 'Who told you to say that?'

'The technician who programmed me.' Long pause. 'What would you like to be called?'

I like the kind of girls who buy my published for pay stories. Hell, I aint fussy.

As with any either gender, but especially with women, I want to read and write about women in transition, yearning for change and being brave and either already being self confident enough to take it, or more enjoyably - having them find the self confidence that they did not know they could have.

Last edited:
As with any either gender, but especially with women, I want to read and write about women in transition, yearning for change and being brave and either already being self confident enough to take it, or more enjoyably - having them find the self confidence that they did not know they could have.

This says it really well. This is what interests me, too, in stories. Erotica, to me, is a matter of exploration and transition, with a character that moves to a place of greater awareness of something about her (or his) sexuality/eroticism at the end of the story.

Back