Seldom-used words - M to A

Hello, fellow posters.

This one caught my eye, I am not sure whether it is seldom-used or not;

muniment - noun 1. pl: the evidences or writings that enable one to defend the title to an estate or a claim to right and privileges 2. archaic: a means of defense

Muniment used to be important in property sales in England. The evidence of ownership had to be continuous - until the Land Registry was set up. Once a property was registered at the Land Registry the earlier records were unnecessary.

When I was learning the trade in another's bookshop a flat bed truck stopped outside. The driver came in and asked if we were interested in a lot of old documents. He showed me a sample - 19th Century property transfers written on parchment. I rang the bookshop owner who was having his usual liquid lunch in a public house. He said "Offer him twenty five pounds".

The driver accepted and unloaded a large pile of black plastic sacks, enough to fill a panel van. He had been paid by a local solicitors' practice to take them away and dump them - but he would have had to pay a fee at the rubbish dump. That fee was included in his payment.

Not only did he save the fee, he got £25 extra. He was happy.

So was the owner. When we had finally sorted them all out the earliest document was 14th Century. Even the 19th Century documents sold as decorations at £5 each. The owner made £20,000 from the heap.

But the solicitors muniment room was now empty and could be used as an office for a junior.

Thank you, Og and Handley, for explaining the word muniment. I was a little fuzzy on its purpose.

This next one is just too good not to post;

munificent - adj 1. very liberal in giving or bestowing: LAVISH 2. characterized by great liberality or generosity

I wonder what the root word is/was ?

...from Latin munificent-, stem of munificentior, comparative of munificus ‘bountiful,’ from munus ‘gift.’

I suspect that the -fic- is another one that comes from the Latin facere, to make or to do, but I'm not sure.

...from Latin munificent-, stem of munificentior, comparative of munificus ‘bountiful,’ from munus ‘gift.’

I suspect that the -fic- is another one that comes from the Latin facere, to make or to do, but I'm not sure.

[muni ficus: make a gift ?]

Thanks, Carlus, for responding to Handley's root question. You do seem to be the Latin expert on this thread. Is that because you took Latin in school? Being in California, I took Spanish, instead.

Og, please excuse me for not saying how much I enjoyed the muniment story about your early days in the book business. You do tell the best stories.

mungo - noun reclaimed wool of poor quality and very short staple

mungo - noun reclaimed wool of poor quality and very short staple

Clothing made from Mungo could also be described as Tawdry - from St Audrey's Fair where cheap clothing and jewellery was sold. Tawdry items were apparently serviceable but would fall apart and lose the new appearance very quickly. Anything made of Mungo would last a few months at best.

Historical Slang:

munge - noun - dark, darkness C18

mungo - An important person, a swell 1770 presumably from Mungo a common name for a Negro 1768 [Og's note: the derivation might seem unusual, but in the 18th Century there was a fashion in England to have male Negro servants. As male servants were taxed more than female servants, anyone who had a Negro servant was not only fashionable but wealthy. The male Negro servants were more for show than hard work. They were often used to serve tea and chocolate - expensive luxuries then.]

[muni ficus: make a gift ?]

Probably not ficus, which is fig tree. To make a gift is munerem facere.

That -fic- infix may go even further back than Latin. It's probably related to words like efficient and deficient, verb forms of which are already present in Latin. But facere doesn't seem to have the -fic- form in its conjugation, which I couldn't recall and had to look up.

Thanks, Carlus, for responding to Handley's root question. You do seem to be the Latin expert on this thread. Is that because you took Latin in school? Being in California, I took Spanish, instead.

I'm afraid I'm a poor excuse for an expert. I did take a couple of years of Latin in high school, but that was a long time ago—not too long, I think, after the last native speakers died out. :D

And I've also studied French and a little Spanish (after a trip to Chile, where I discovered that I could read all the signs—which looked like they were written in misspelled French—but that mispronouncing my French didn't work). Those help to keep the Latin alive in my brain. But mostly, I've always been interested in the roots of words, and I have a few decent references.

Thank you, OG, for adding to and expanding the word mungo and, thanks, Carlus, for explaining fic for us all. I was gone because I took a trip to San Francisco to properly celebrate 4/20 with a gathering of the tribe. It was great fun with lots of smoky atmosphere.

mundungus - noun archaic foul-smelling tobacco

Thank you, OG, for adding to and expanding the word mungo and, thanks, Carlus, for explaining fic for us all. I was gone because I took a trip to San Francisco to properly celebrate 4/20 with a gathering of the tribe. It was great fun with lots of smoky atmosphere.

mundungus - noun archaic foul-smelling tobacco

I understand it is usually applied to tobaccos of the Far East.
Old-fashioned Burmese cheroots, for example.

I understand it is usually applied to tobaccos of the Far East.
Old-fashioned Burmese cheroots, for example.

When I was in Viet Nam there was a cigarette brand called Ruby Queens". They may have been mungdungus based because they tasted "Like Smoking Stalin's Socks" to paraphrase a Korean War movie.

Thanks, Handley, and thank you for popping in here, JackLuis. I am confused by it all, thanks to J. K. Rowling naming one of her professors that name. At least, now I know the true meaning of the word and it sounds nasty.

mump(1) - vb 1. dial Eng: GRIN 2. to be sulky

mump(2) - vi dial Eng: BEG, SPONGE

Thanks, Handley, and thank you for popping in here, JackLuis. I am confused by it all, thanks to J. K. Rowling naming one of her professors that name. At least, now I know the true meaning of the word and it sounds nasty.

less 'nasty', more 'unpleasant, but tolerable', IMO.

Okay, Handley, I will take your word that it is tolerable, but foul-smelling tobacco does not sound very appetizing.

mummer - noun 1. an actor in a pantomime; broadly: ACTOR 2. one who goes merrymaking in disguise during festivals

mummery - noun 1. a performance by mummers 2. a ridiculous, hypocritical, or pretentious ceremony or performance

Hist Slang:

Mump Verb
1. To deceive, overreach, cheat 1650-1740 - from Dutch mompen - to cheat; 2. To disappoint; 3. To beg, be a parasite; 4. To obtain by begging; 5. To call at (a house) on a begging round; 6. To talk seriously.

Mump, on the - A-begging Late C19-20

Mumper - 1. A Beggar from circa 1670; hence 2. a sponger circa 1720-1830; 3. A half-bred Gypsy circa 1870-1900

Mumpers' Hall - a beggars' ale-house late C17 - mid C19

Okay, Handley, I will take your word that it is tolerable, but foul-smelling tobacco does not sound very appetizing.

mummer - noun 1. an actor in a pantomime; broadly: ACTOR 2. one who goes merrymaking in disguise during festivals

mummery - noun 1. a performance by mummers 2. a ridiculous, hypocritical, or pretentious ceremony or performance

Hist Slang:

mummer - 1. An actor, contemptuous slang 1840. 2. (In boxing) The mouth - 'a straight right to the mummer'.

mummery-cove - An actor. circa 1830-80

mumming-booth - A wandering marquee in which short plays are produced - theatrical cant mid C18-C20

Some types of Morris Dancing are performed by Mummers - usually in fantastic costumes. The Britannia Coconutters for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl58rIDNdWA

Apparently Mummers invade Philadelphia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iKejcA--Po

Last edited:
Mummers, or guisers [there were other names] used to present the "plays" for festivals of religious events in the calendar. York was quite famous for it's presentations in front of the Minster. The plays were staffed by young apprentices from the various Guilds of the City.

Mummers, or guisers [there were other names] used to present the "plays" for festivals of religious events in the calendar. York was quite famous for it's presentations in front of the Minster. The plays were staffed by young apprentices from the various Guilds of the City.

And they still do. Search YouTube for 'Morris Mummers'.

Most fascinating, gentlemen. I had no idea there were still mummers, especially in the U.S. Thanks, Og and Handley, for clueing me in. I loved watching the videos.

Og, on the Coconutters video, one of the men was carrying a fishing pole-looking object that he touched the mummers with. Will you tell me what that is?

mumbo jumbo - noun [Mumbo Jumbo, an idol or deity held to have been worshiped in Africa] 1. an object of superstitious homage and fear 2.a. a complicated often ritualistic observance with elaborate trappings b. complicated activity intended to obscure and confuse 3. unnecessarily involved and incomprehensible language: GIBBERISH

Most fascinating, gentlemen. I had no idea there were still mummers, especially in the U.S. Thanks, Og and Handley, for clueing me in. I loved watching the videos.

Og, on the Coconutters video, one of the men was carrying a fishing pole-looking object that he touched the mummers with. Will you tell me what that is?

The Garland Dances are performed in square sets, each of the Dancers carries an arched Garland decorated to resemble red, white and blue flowers. These are Spring ritual dances connected with the renewal of crops. Similar dances were performed in feudal times when rushbearing carts took rushes to the Lord of the Manor. One of the Dancers carries a whip and is known as the 'whiffler' or 'whipper in', he proceeds the dancers and it is his duty to crack the whip to drive away any evil spirits or forces of evil.

From their history:

http://www.coconutters.co.uk/history.htm

It may be worth mentioning that in our Parliament, each party has a few "whippers-in" responsible to keeping party members in line with party policy (from the "Whips Office").
Sometimes they succeed.

I have to say that I always thought the reference was to Hunting with hounds.

And is that the basis for our U.S. Congressional Majority Whips? I am always amazed by what I learn on this thread with the help of the wonderful, contributing Brits that join me. Thanks, again, gentlemen.

My brother used to love to play this game and I have not thought about it for years;

mumblety-peg or mumble-the-peg - noun a game in which the players try to flip a knife from various positions so that the blade will stick into the ground

And is that the basis for our U.S. Congressional Majority Whips? I am always amazed by what I learn on this thread with the help of the wonderful, contributing Brits that join me. Thanks, again, gentlemen.

My brother used to love to play this game and I have not thought about it for years;

mumblety-peg or mumble-the-peg - noun a game in which the players try to flip a knife from various positions so that the blade will stick into the ground

1. Whips are from fox-hunting. The Whipper-in controlled the hounds. That shows what Party leaders think of our democratic representatives. :)

2. mumble-peg Hist Slang - yet another word for cunt C19. From the old type of [now illegal] mole trap. The mole enters the trap which shuts behind the mole. [Vagina Dentata anyone?]

1. Whips are from fox-hunting. The Whipper-in controlled the hounds. That shows what Party leaders think of our democratic representatives. :)

What the party leaders "think of our democratic representatives" may place those representatives higher than a good many of us do. :devil:

Back