Another excellent story idea.

FEELINGLUCKYPUNK

Loves Spam
Joined
Jan 31, 2014
Posts
668
I studied the American Civil War since 1960, I know it well. And I recently discovered the end of the war is not what all believe. All the anomalies expose the alternative end.
 
Sounds interesting. I love alternative history, grand mystification, epic mystery, and yes, it must have solid anchor in reality to work best.
 
Sounds interesting. I love alternative history, grand mystification, epic mystery, and yes, it must have solid anchor in reality to work best.

Did you ever read “The Guns of the South”. S M Stirling. Now that was alternative history.
 
spoiler alert

Guns of the South does have an erotic subplot - seriously!

It seems that in most wars there will be a few women who disguise themselves as men to join the army and that happened in the Civil War too. The novel has a fictional character named Mollie Bean who is about twenty-something and passes herself off as a boy of about sixteen.

She winds up having an affair with one of her fellow soldiers - it's consensual, not blackmail of any sort by him. He keeps her secret and she is depicted fighting in the Battle of the Wilderness (1864).
 
Much of history isn't preserved in records. Much of history is preserved in action. To exposethe truth find whats missing.

An ancestor of mine died at the start of the war, his estate was probated at the end of the war. His plantation sold 59K of cotton, about 5 million of todays money. The question became HOW DID ALL THAT COTTON GET FROM TALLAHASSEE TO NASSAU? The tiny port was sealed tight. The plantaion produced 500 bales of cotton every year. Each bale weighed 450 pounds. Not one record exists.


The cotton left Tallahassee by ship, with the Union Navy yards away as it happened.
 
Post war memoirs suggest Navy boat crews came ashore to get fresh water abd horse trade for tobacco, food, and pussy. Tallahassee had whores. And deals were made to look the other way when a load of cotton sailed away.
 
Back
Top