How to move photos?

I

Iwillbeyourbitch

I am an electronic luddite, you might say "electronically challenged"
So how do I take picture from the internet, move it to my computer, and then attach it to a PM on this forum?
I use an Apple MacBook if that is relevant

I am an electronic luddite, you might say "electronically challenged"
So how do I take picture from the internet, move it to my computer, and then attach it to a PM on this forum?
I use an Apple MacBook if that is relevant

Simple answer is you can't attatchan imange to an attachment.

You need to hotlink directly from an online image to your PM.

Simple answer is you can't attatchan imange to an attachment.

You need to hotlink directly from an online image to your PM.

So, as I said I do not know much, Take me through it step by step from the point where I find an image on the net that I want to appear on a post or PM.
Sorry to be a pain, but thanks

1. Display the picture (i.e. find one on the internet).
  2. Right Click on the image and look at the menu for something like "Copy Image Location". Click that option and the image address (URL) should now be on the clipboard.
  3. Open a new tab, right click in the address bar, and select "paste and go". If you see the image again, then you indeed have its address (URL) on the clip board.
  4. Start your post or PM.
    • Type your message and include a couple of blank lines for the image.
    • Put the text cursor where you want the image (like on a blank line).
    • Click on "Insert Image" icon
      insertimage.gif
    • Paste the address (URL) from the clipboard into the box.
  5. Use the "Preview Post" button to verify you added the image to your PM.
If you are doing a forum post, and the image is not acceptable under Lit rules, the use the "Insert Link" icon
createlink.gif
so the only the image address, not the image itself, appears in your posting. Viewers can click on the link in your post and go directly to the image at the site which hosts it.

Note that many sites don't like people directly linking to the their images. This practice is called "hot linking", and deprives them of visitors. Some will serve a message "Hot Linking not allow" instead of the image -- yes, they can tell that the request to view the image didn't come from a visitor on THEIR site. Step three will let you see when they won't let you hot link.

Last edited:
  1. Display the picture (i.e. find one on the internet).
  2. Right Click on the image and look at the menu for something like "Copy Image Location". Click that option and the image address (URL) should now be on the clipboard.
  3. Open a new tab, right click in the address bar, and select "paste and go". If you see the image again, then you indeed have its address (URL) on the clip board.
  4. Start your post or PM.
    • Type your message and include a couple of blank lines for the image.
    • Put the text cursor where you want the image (like on a blank line).
    • Click on "Insert Image" icon
      insertimage.gif
    • Paste the address (URL) from the clipboard into the box.
  5. Use the "Preview Post" button to verify you added the image to your PM.
If you are doing a forum post, and the image is not acceptable under Lit rules, the use the "Insert Link" icon
createlink.gif
so the only the image address, not the image itself, appears in your posting. Viewers can click on the link in your post and go directly to the image at the site which hosts it.

Note that many sites don't like people directly linking to the their images. This practice is called "hot linking", and deprives them of visitors. Some will serve a message "Hot Linking not allow" instead of the image -- yes, they can tell that the request to view the image didn't come from a visitor on THEIR site. Step three will let you see when they won't let you hot link.

Thank you! That was helpful and informative

Also, some sites are blacklisted by Literotica, probably because they've been used by spammers in the past. If you try to post an image or link from one of these sites, the forum will replace part of the URL with ***** and it won't work. Unfortunately I don't know of any easy way to figure out which sites are blacklisted, except for trial and error.

Since you mention *****

There's also a trap for people who copy and paste a clickable link from one post into insert into another post or document.

An underlined link may be shortened for display by replacing the middle with *** or dropping some characters and/or inserting dots (...). If you hover the mouse over the shortened link, the full unshortened URL link will display in the status bar or hover help or somewhere.

The mistake is to highlight the clickable link and copy it to the clipboard (e.g. do Ctrl-v). What you get is exactly what is displayed, with the *** or with characters missing. Then you paste that corrupted link into the box when you do the "Insert Image" or "Insert Link", and the new link is now bad.

What you want is the address (URL) behind the clickable link, the one what shows up somewhere when you rest the mouse cursor on it. Don't use the corrupted/shortened one as a real one -- it isn't!

You get the full URL by doing a right click and "Copy Link Location" or what ever the option in your browser or word processor is.

If you have any question, test by previewing the new post and clicking the link you inserted. Or in your word processor, try holding Ctrl while clicking on the link.

Last edited:
Also, some sites are blacklisted by Literotica, probably because they've been used by spammers in the past. If you try to post an image or link from one of these sites, the forum will replace part of the URL with ***** and it won't work. Unfortunately I don't know of any easy way to figure out which sites are blacklisted, except for trial and error.

None of the old timers I've talked to (including moderators) over past 15 odd years have any insight, thought I've not ask Laurel or Manu.

I suspect the sites are/were considered competitors to Literotica way back when. As the media companies repeatedly discover when the try copy protection, the overall effect is negative -- more PITA than it's worth.

Knowledgeable people can get around it (obfuscate the URL), the discriminated sites still get traffic from the same people visiting Lit (isn't google/yahoo/duckduck great?), and tineye image search can locate the same image on a non-blocked site for posting.

None of the old timers I've talked to (including moderators) over past 15 odd years have any insight, thought I've not ask Laurel or Manu.

I suspect the sites are/were considered competitors to Literotica way back when. As the media companies repeatedly discover when the try copy protection, the overall effect is negative -- more PITA than it's worth.

Knowledgeable people can get around it (obfuscate the URL), the discriminated sites still get traffic from the same people visiting Lit (isn't google/yahoo/duckduck great?), and tineye image search can locate the same image on a non-blocked site for posting.

I can't see the insert image icon, has the system been changed? Tia.

Go to your UserCP then go to Profile Options. Down at the bottom in Miscellaneous Options in the Message Editor Interface click on the drop down and select "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls."

I tried a lot of times but this didn't work, so I gave up. I didn't think to hotlink directly from an online image to my post though, so thank's for the piece of advice. But what if I want to attach an image that is on my computer only? For example, if I want to increase image size or edit something and then upload it? If I'm not mistaken you can upload your content on an image hosting site and then copy-paste the image address wherever you want, but for me, this is too complicated and time-consuming. So, are there any other options?

Last edited:
I tried a lot of times but this didn't work, so I gave up. I didn't think to hotlink directly from an online image to my post though, so thank's for the piece of advice. But what if I want to attach an image that is on my computer only?

Okay, once again...

When you are typing a replying or just typing a message on the BB, below the text box you are typing in there is a section called Attaching Files. Click on the Manage Attachments button.

There are limits on size and what you can store on the Lit server. Follow the directions on the dialog window. One thing, the image will not appear on a link to the image will. If you want the image to display in the message, you have to get the url which is easy, click on the link provided in the dialog window. Then follow Ready One's directions.

Back