Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried sauerkraut in Germany when I was 17, and about gagged. I haven't tasted it since, maybe my palate has evolved. I do eat brussel sprouts now.

Love Brats! With mustard. I go for flavor and don't think about casings.

TRY IT AGAIN!! its badass. I dont just go for the damn casing! The dogs are actually pretty good.

13179275_10208024746969380_6724963129648591675_n.jpg

Agreed. Grits are simple food, and lovely for being that. Add fifteen million things to it and it's not grits anymore, it's some sort of grit casserole. Most of my life, I've eaten grits with little more than a pat of butter, because that goes so nicely with over easy or poached eggs. Of course, cheese and a bit of bacon doesn't hurt my feelings.

Agreed. Grits are simple food, and lovely for being that. Add fifteen million things to it and it's not grits anymore, it's some sort of grit casserole. Most of my life, I've eaten grits with little more than a pat of butter, because that goes so nicely with over easy or poached eggs. Of course, cheese and a bit of bacon doesn't hurt my feelings.
never had them, but how do you feel about this recipe by jamie?
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/rich-grits/#K0OyGIO5mSQm7wpe.97

never had them, but how do you feel about this recipe by jamie?
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/rich-grits/#K0OyGIO5mSQm7wpe.97

I am not a fan of prawns/shrimp, but I like the sound of the rest of it. It's a fairly simple topping over yummy cheese grits. I may have to make that (prawn-free).

It's not often that I make grits as the base of a meal, because growing up they were always something we had with eggs, generally for a late breakfast or when having breakfast food for dinner. I've done it on occasion, ever since I discovered what polenta was, which is really similar, but not quite the same. :)

Polenta, at least all that I've had, is a finer texture, and grits are, well, a bit gritty, and I think the texture is sometimes unpleasant to people who didn't grow up eating them and are trying them for the first time.

What do you get, when you cook blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries with sugar and water, and lemon juice and rind.

Punch syrup! It stains.

Anyone use this stuff?

k2-_2c14e2a2-b1e6-4dae-91a5-aaee1eda26b6.v1.jpg-7fbf3b323977053d66627cd06506aea98d4f250d-optim-450x450.jpg

I am told that it's the only thing you ever need to use and am very intrigued. ;)

I mixed my own spices when I made gumbo a while back- creole spice mixes not being so easy to get here, and I love mixing spices anyway, ( which reminds me G wants it again) but my books and Internet recipes were all recommending spice mixes. A thread here a couple of people linked me too was glorious reading.

If I use a particular mix for anything a lot I make mix a bit of it at a time....

I have to watch the sodium, both for myself and my Much Better Half. I cut the salt in the "family recipe" spice mix - which was just cutting the salt amount by a third, and never EVER used that abomination garlic salt.

Then again, some of my Cajun and Creole cousins dislike me: I refuse to use okra in my gumbo (And haven't sent them freshly smoked kielbasa in a while doesn't help).

My Avoyelles Parish born grandfather is rolling over in his grave! Create your own spice combination!

Yeah, but when I did a Google search under that dude's name, he was SUPER BIG TIME down that way, so you gotta figure if he put stuff out under his name, it's gotta be legit.

I mixed my own spices when I made gumbo a while back- creole spice mixes not being so easy to get here, and I love mixing spices anyway, ( which reminds me G wants it again) but my books and Internet recipes were all recommending spice mixes. A thread here a couple of people linked me too was glorious reading.

If I use a particular mix for anything a lot I make mix a bit of it at a time....

That's a good idea. I'd like to reduce the kitchen prep time for seasonings, though. I'm a single guy doing the apartment city life and I don't have a Bourdain-sized kitchen. Doing food prep by itself is more than enough for me, so those ready-made seasoning mixes are a load off my mind.

Hell, I'm pissed off my Korean supermarket doesn't carry these anymore because it made fried rice meals tasty:

k2-_22759370-ed63-4bad-968d-df67524d5556.v1.jpg

I mean, I can still make it without it, but I liked having that extra touch, yanno? ;)

Do you use okra in other things or dislike okra?

I think I am making a dry okra dish the weekend after next, I've not made it before...this dish, not okra, we both like okra.

I dislike okra, just doesn't taste good. It helps that my wife breaks out in a rash if a dish has it in it.

Now she LOVES file'.

I've used that stuff before Zumi. It's not bad. He has all kinds of selections. Wouldn't hurt to keep some on hand in a pinch or fit of just being lazy. Coat some chicken breasts, throw them in the oven, bam... You're sitting next to a crocodile in the bayou.

I've used that stuff before Zumi. It's not bad. He has all kinds of selections. Wouldn't hurt to keep some on hand in a pinch or fit of just being lazy. Coat some chicken breasts, throw them in the oven, bam... You're sitting next to a crocodile in the bayou.

I'm with you. If I'm going to cook something serious, I'll make my own mix. But for daily living I'll whip out the Tony's and shake shake shake .. :)

I'm with you. If I'm going to cook something serious, I'll make my own mix. But for daily living I'll whip out the Tony's and shake shake shake .. :)

I don't use Cajun spice enough to purchase Tony's - it would spoil. I can whip up a quick mix for when I need it.

Anyone use this stuff?

k2-_2c14e2a2-b1e6-4dae-91a5-aaee1eda26b6.v1.jpg-7fbf3b323977053d66627cd06506aea98d4f250d-optim-450x450.jpg

I am told that it's the only thing you ever need to use and am very intrigued. ;)

I use it on pretty much every single meal now. I was going to say except for breakfast but it's excellent on eggs too.

Buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back