Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
TarnishedPenny
Literotica Guru

Most Romantic Name?

OK, I think the official St Valentine's Day contest has ended (and some very fine entries, to be sure). But here's one for those still standing after all that hard work.

Given names - which are the most romantic? One male, one female.

I guess I'll open with Jason and Fleur. Don't ask me why. I just like the sound of them.

My stories

My latest: Zoe, Again

Last edited by TarnishedPenny : Yesterday at 07:10 PM.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #2
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Adam, and whoever is in my most recent Floating World story (currently, Juliette) .

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

The Dark Chronicles is my take on one of the world's great myth cycles, and, in typical EB style, flows like a slow moving river and tumbles like a fast moving stream.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #3
WoolyWorm
Virgin

Cletus
Vejonica

Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyWorm View Post
Cletus
Vejonica
I'm not sure there's such a thing as a romantic name. Maybe if you're talking about classic literature.

Jason and Medea?

In my most clearly romantic stories, one had the triple of Rodrigo, Honoria, and Beatriz. The other had the couple of Ray and Mel (Melissa). In the Romance that I'm currently trying to write, they're Case and Ann, or Liz and Ernie.

Names aren't romantic. Stories are romantic. If you want to evoke a particularly masculine or feminine impression, then that's maybe a different question.

Edit: It gives a distinct impression when you call a man by his last name, rather than his first. In my tragic "The Third Ring" the male character was Tannehill. I gave the woman the Hebrew name Keren, a shortening of the name of the youngest of Job's daughters, Keren-happuch.

My current project is "Wolves of Winter." Its a neo-western romance that will be done someday. I swear.

Love is Enough, is a sentimental ghost story about two flappers haunting an old theater, and what an aspiring playwright does for them.

My Holiday Contest entry is A Christmas Tart. It's a tale of true love and blackmail.

Last edited by NotWise : 02-12-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 PM   #5
KeithD
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
Adam, and whoever is in my most recent Floating World story (currently, Juliette) .
Oh, Lord, I just today created a female character in a story (set in the folk music scene in D.C. in 1965) who is forty and pasty and buxom and hefty and gives favors to nineteen-year-old George Washington University sophomore trending gay men in exchange for fucks. I named her Juliette. I guess I better go back and reconsider that.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #6
jaF0
Worthless Toad

I always thought Penelope had a certain ring to it.

< ~~~: Silently Enraged :~~~ >
No, I'm not OK.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
KeithD
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post

Names aren't romantic. Stories are romantic. If you want to evoke a particularly masculine or feminine impression, then that's maybe a different question.
I think names take on characterizations--at least I pick them with that in consideration. Anne would be a romantic name for me. Tiffany wouldn't. I'd use that for someone more self-centered and materialistic. I realize those particular ones are just from my font of experience. But we all have fonts of experience with names.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #8
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
I think names take on characterizations--at least I pick them with that in consideration. Anne would be a romantic name for me. Tiffany wouldn't. I'd use that for someone more self-centered and materialistic. I realize those particular ones are just from my font of experience. But we all have fonts of experience with names.
I think there are anti-romantic names. In a modern context they evoke impressions that are explicitly not romantic. Tiffany is a good one. So is Bambi.

Using recent history, then maybe Diana would be a good feminine name in a romance.

My current project is "Wolves of Winter." Its a neo-western romance that will be done someday. I swear.

Love is Enough, is a sentimental ghost story about two flappers haunting an old theater, and what an aspiring playwright does for them.

My Holiday Contest entry is A Christmas Tart. It's a tale of true love and blackmail.

Last edited by NotWise : 02-13-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #9
Kantarii
I'm Not A Bitch!

My ex wife is named Tiffany. Nothing romantic about her at all.

My vote is for Victoria and the shortened version “Tori”🌹Kant
I am your dreams made reality ... And, the lust in your eyes...
♫♪ But, what's puzzling you is the nature of my game! ♪♫
Do T-girls & Transvestites Interest You? Checkout my Stories.

My Newest chapter: Best Friends Forever - The time of my life with Brian
https://www.literotica.com/s/best-friends-forever-pt-08

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions My Story Submissions

Old 02-13-2019, 12:11 AM   #10
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Oh, Lord, I just today created a female character in a story (set in the folk music scene in D.C. in 1965) who is forty and pasty and buxom and hefty and gives favors to nineteen-year-old George Washington University sophomore trending gay men in exchange for fucks. I named her Juliette. I guess I better go back and reconsider that.
Not my Juliette, then. Mine is mid-twenties, reads de-Sade, has pierced nipples, likes both men and woman, and rides a bicycle to keep fit. But it's okay, I don't expect we have much of an audience in common .

Carry on.

The Dark Chronicles is my take on one of the world's great myth cycles, and, in typical EB style, flows like a slow moving river and tumbles like a fast moving stream.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 AM   #11
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantarii View Post
My vote is for Victoria and the shortened version “Tori”🌹Kant
I knew a Tori back in my university days - a veeery sexy little thing she was too. High five!

Old 02-13-2019, 12:16 AM   #12
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Anne would be a romantic name for me.
Lol.

Pilot, meet my sister. Sis, meet Pilot .

Old 02-13-2019, 03:03 AM   #13
RubenR
Literotica Guru

In the world where I live, French names always do well; Anne-Claire Claudette, Eloise, Vivienne, ...
For men, names like Pierre, Gaston, Francois, Vincent, ...

To me personally, for women, famous old romance writer names do very well, Charlotte, Emily, ...

But then, what in the world would beat a name like Fikraddis!

I guess it's personal; it's what you associate with the name. In the case of the French names, it's the incredibly sexy accent the French have, when they really try to speak another language.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #14
beachbum1958
Literotica Guru

Location: On the Côte d'Azure, midway btween Cannes and St Tropez, with the Mediterranean in front of my home, and a lagoon full of flamingos behind
Definitely French names; we live in the South of France, and we're surrounded by Anne-Marie's, Sybil's, Alouette's, Giselle's, Silvines, Odélie's, Virginie's, Jeanne's, Justine's, and Clodile's. My wife's Cajun relatives have some very evocative and usable names, too; Jean-Nöel, Jean-Marc, Mélette, Bastiènne, Lucianne, Louisette, Jouenne, etc.

For some reason I can't really explain, I also find Coral, Collette, Lauren, and Stevie romantic and evocative

Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 AM   #15
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Jason & Sophie
[PS. He was nearly called Telemachus]

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #16
TarnishedPenny
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
I knew a Tori back in my university days - a veeery sexy little thing she was too. High five!
Quote:
I'm not sure there's such a thing as a romantic name.
Well, consider ‘Bertha’ or ‘Gertrude’. The image evoked involves a red complexion and hips like a dock crane. ‘Lemuel’ calls up the image of a man able to scratch his knees without bending over...

Yes, admittedly, it’s a question of trends. ‘Godiva’, even discounting the Lady’s famous ride, is far out of fashion. ‘Guinevere’ survives, barely, but the name of her fabled mother-in-law ’Igraine’ is long gone. Same legend - ‘Arthur’ is popular still; his father’s ‘Uther’ is unknown today.

My stories

My latest: Zoe, Again

Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
MelissaBaby
Literotica Guru

Quote:
The other had the couple of Ray and Mel (Melissa).

Good call.

Chapter Eighteen online now!

Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #18
MelissaBaby
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarnishedPenny View Post
Well, consider ‘Bertha’ or ‘Gertrude’. The image evoked involves a red complexion and hips like a dock crane. ‘Lemuel’ calls up the image of a man able to scratch his knees without bending over...

Yes, admittedly, it’s a question of trends. ‘Godiva’, even discounting the Lady’s famous ride, is far out of fashion. ‘Guinevere’ survives, barely, but the name of her fabled mother-in-law ’Igraine’ is long gone. Same legend - ‘Arthur’ is popular still; his father’s ‘Uther’ is unknown today.
Guinevere survives as Jennifer.

Chapter Eighteen online now!

Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarnishedPenny View Post
I did agree that there are names with an anti-romantic effect.

On the other hand... You're talking about physical impressions, while romance is an experience and a state of mind. I don't think there would be much problem writing a romance with Bertha as the female protagonist.

"Gertrude" reminds me of Red Skelton's old bit with the two seagulls Gertrude and Heathcliff -- Heathcliff being one of those names with a romantic association.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #20
Sara2000Z
Experienced

Hmm - in a previous life I did a lot of teaching and so formed some quite firm impressions of what sorts of characters were associated with which names. I didn't consider how romantic any of the names were, however, as that just isn't a thing if you're in teaching... plus you just get some ridiculous names that make you wonder 'what were their parents THINKING???' e.g. Matt White, Neil Downe, etc. We did, however, spend some happy moments wasting time feeding kids' names into autocorrect/spellchecker. What can I say? Microsoft Word was still enough of a novelty. Plus how else can you pass the time in boring staff rooms?

Old 02-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #21
KeithD
Literotica Guru

Let's just say I'll not be writing a GM romance with Bruce as a protagonist. Conversely, I might write one with Chuck as a protagonist--but only to purposely use the incongruity of the name as a story jolt.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #22
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Anathea

Lazlo

Old 02-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #23
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Strawberry

Lachlan

Never Ending Love", the first of the "Tales from Old Shanghai" series and in the (2019 Valentines Day Competition)
All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)

Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #24
Kantarii
I'm Not A Bitch!

The name Elizabeth also comes to mind, shortened to Liz and Beth - Beth being the most romantic of the two🌷Kant.
I dated a woman named Beth once. She was pretty romantic, just not overly romantic.
I am your dreams made reality ... And, the lust in your eyes...
♫♪ But, what's puzzling you is the nature of my game! ♪♫
Do T-girls & Transvestites Interest You? Checkout my Stories.

My Newest chapter: Best Friends Forever - The time of my life with Brian
https://www.literotica.com/s/best-friends-forever-pt-08

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions My Story Submissions

Old 02-14-2019, 05:32 AM   #25
beachbum1958
Literotica Guru

Location: On the Côte d'Azure, midway btween Cannes and St Tropez, with the Mediterranean in front of my home, and a lagoon full of flamingos behind
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaBaby View Post
Guinevere survives as Jennifer.
And as Gwenhyvar and Gaenor in Wales