Can I write fanfiction based on preexisting media?

Does Literotica allow for fan fiction based on preexisting media? I see nothing in the submission rules against it, but there really aren't any such stories here, and the fan fiction section is only for real people, not for fictional, preexisting media. So I'd like to know.

Also, can I publish stories I wrote elsewhere on Literotica?

Does Literotica allow for fan fiction based on preexisting media? I see nothing in the submission rules against it, but there really aren't any such stories here, and the fan fiction section is only for real people, not for fictional, preexisting media. So I'd like to know.

Also, can I publish stories I wrote elsewhere on Literotica?
1: Depends on how badly you mangle copyrights on characters and settings. There isn't much "literature fan-fic" because writing such without violating copyrights is difficult.

2: As long as you haven't given someone else exclusive publishing rights, sure. You can post anything that conforms to Lit's rules and you still hold the copyrights on.

1: Depends on how badly you mangle copyrights on characters and settings. There isn't much "literature fan-fic" because writing such without violating copyrights is difficult.

Thanks for the info but how is there a copyright issue? There are millions of fan fics on the internet. Archive of Our Own is almost entirely fan fics of preexisting media.

Archive of Our Own is almost entirely fan fics of preexisting media.

Archive of Our Own is NOT Literotica. Literotica will defend your copyright on stories published here, and generally does not knowingly publish copyright violations.

Thanks for the info but how is there a copyright issue? There are millions of fan fics on the internet. Archive of Our Own is almost entirely fan fics of preexisting media.

It's not the multitude of fan-fics that is the issue, it's the original literature on which those fan fics are based. The original author owns that copyright, including their characters, and if you use those characters, you're potentially breaching their copyright. Literotica requires you to be the copyright owner of content published here.

Anytime you borrow the characters and situations from someone else's story and write your own story based on them, you are, presumably, violating that author's copyright in his or her work. It might be a fair use if it's a parody, or if it's sufficiently different from the original, but there's a good chance it's copyright infringement.

Despite this fact, there's tons of fan fiction out there, because authors don't take action against it. That doesn't mean it's immune from liability; it just means that for whatever reason authors haven't pursued claims. It may not be worthwhile to them, OR they may feel that the publicity, on the whole, is good for their business.

This site allows fan fiction, subject to certain limitations, which it publishes.

Back