How can I Upload an Animated Avatar?

FurryFace

Really Experienced
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Posts
129
Does anyone know if there's some special process you have to follow to upload an Animated GIF as an Avatar?

I can Upload a static GIF or a JPG - no problem, but if I try to upload an animated GIF - all I see is the first frame of the animation (just a static image) :(

I've seen loads of animated avatars, so I know it can be done :(
Can anyone help please?
 
You have to follow the size limits. Most gifs are even if you have them sized, 150x150, correctly, the 30KB size limit will be exceeded.

My avatar is an animated gif, but it only has two frames.
 
You have to follow the size limits. Most gifs are even if you have them sized, 150x150, correctly, the 30KB size limit will be exceeded.

My avatar is an animated gif, but it only has two frames.

Thanks for replying Zeb.
I think I complied with that (almost).

I have a simple animated GIF of a dancing baby.
It is 109x181 pixels (yes - I know that's more than 150), but if you count the pixels, 150x150 is 22500, and 109x181 is only 19729, so mine is actually smaller - and the size is only 14Kb.

I was importing it as a file (from my PC).
The GIF uploads OK, but when it displays, I only see the first frame (no animation).
(ignore my current avatar - that's a static JPG).

... or ...

If it is a 'size' issue, does anyone know how to reduce an animated GIF down to 150x150 ? I tried to do it with Paint Shop Pro, but all I end up with is a static image (again) :(
 
There are several apps out there. There are even services out there to create or edit animated gifs for free.

google "free animated gif editors"

I don't think you problem is size if it uploads.

What might be the problem is there is no timing to the gif. To change that you will need a proper editing program. Use the google search above to find one.
 
Back
Top