Spanking - BDSM or Fetish?

Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Posts
7
Just looking for your opinions, does a story thread about spanking and submission belong in BDSM or Fetish, I do not envisage ever getting beyond disciplinary spanking in the story?

Any comments appreciated.
 
BDSM is a collection of fetishes, in my opinion.

So yeah, it's a certain Fetish that belongs to a wider BDSM group of fetishes.

At least that's how I would define it.
 
I would say just spanking could fall into a fetish category. But spanking AND submission would fit in the BDSM category for a story.
 
Just looking for your opinions, does a story thread about spanking and submission belong in BDSM or Fetish, I do not envisage ever getting beyond disciplinary spanking in the story?

Any comments appreciated.


It depends how it's used.

If it is purely to heighten the senses for other sexual activity, then it is a fetish.

If it is used as any sort of dominance or control, or because the subject gets off on the pain for the pain's sake, then it's BDSM.


 
Me

For me spanking is BDSM, as I love it as part of control. There is nothing I love more than having a bare bum spanking for doing some wrong
 
must it be either one? I prefer to think of it as just good old fashioned intense sexual activity
 
All of my stories have spanking in them and they all fall into the BDSM category here. I don't have a problem with that. Certainly BDSM seems to be widely considered a broader brush.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think it can be put into either category, since they're interrelated. If the spankings are being used purely for punishment, or control, I would put it more into the BDSM realm.
 
I think it could be both.

In other words; maybe its a fetish and maybe its an activity to boost the dominating character or for punishment then it's BDSM I think.
 
Fetish.
I don’t get punished with spanking. It’s part of the way we fuck. Or really, sometimes just part of conversation. :D
 
Just looking for your opinions, does a story thread about spanking and submission belong in BDSM or Fetish, I do not envisage ever getting beyond disciplinary spanking in the story?

Any comments appreciated.

A professional mistress of my acquaintance splits BDSM and Corporal Punishment into seperate categories because they attract different types of client. She offers both services using different aliases to stop confusion. I would say spanking is more BDSM.
 
I would say that if it's spanking and submission than it's BDSM. If it's just spanking than that depends on the context.

I'm not fond of spanking to be honest I prefer a nice heavy leather strap.
 
I would say that if it's spanking and submission than it's BDSM. If it's just spanking than that depends on the context.

I'm not fond of spanking to be honest I prefer a nice heavy leather strap.

I’ve been spanked many times and in addition a crop; slipper; and paddle have all been used to give my cheeks a nice rosy glow. A nice heavy leather strap? Not a chance!!! A mistress once convinced me to try a cane but one stroke was enough for me. I’m not that much of a masochist. Her saying that after another 10 strokes the endorphins would kick in didn’t convince me either.
 
A mistress once convinced me to try a cane but one stroke was enough for me. I’m not that much of a masochist. Her saying that after another 10 strokes the endorphins would kick in didn’t convince me either.
She's not a good cane user then. You never hit a sub as hard as you can on first stroke. You test their tolerance with smaller strokes, warm them up and always know exactly how hard to hit to provide enough stimulation but not overdo it.
I could probably hit someone with a cane so hard there'd be a bloody bruise. It's not the point though. Even if you go for just light tapping that barely even makes the skin red - it's all good and fun.

You could especially see this in BDSM porn. They often use canes, but some girls they barely caress with them. With others they swing much harder. Why? Because they know the limits of each girl, and aim for result, not the force.
 
If spanking is the only thing that gets you off......then it's a fetish.

If it's part of a power exchange relationship ( amongst many other things) then it's bdsm.

At least that's how I see it :)
 
If spanking is the only thing that gets you off......then it's a fetish.

If it's part of a power exchange relationship ( amongst many other things) then it's bdsm.

At least that's how I see it :)


That is very similar to how I'd been taught to define it. A fetish is **necessary** an interest or fantasy is not. BDSM can involve fetishes certainly, but doesn't have to.

So I think you'd have to give us a more clear indication of your character's motives/ psychology.

At the same time I think it is usually safer to put things in the fetish category than the BDSM. Unless you really understand the BDSM mentality from one direction or another, write what you know ;) I don't think fetish folks would scream about a BDSM leaning spank story...but a wrongly done story chucked in BDSM does tend to draw ire.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top