Number of people rating decreasing

xploring96

Virgin
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Posts
7
I have a story that actually has the number of people who have rated it declining. I didn't think a person could unrate a story. Am i wrong about that or is their something wrong here.
 
Unrating

It's fairly common for Lit to delete votes. There's something called the sweep that allegedly takes out particularly bad votes, such as one or two ones. I'm not convinced it doesn't take out the top end as well, but as the impact on the score is far less, unless your score is atrocious, it's a lot harder to see. GT
 
The site performs what are called "sweeps". A themed contest has just concluded, and those sweeps are particularly deep and far-reaching. That's probably why you noticed it.

What a sweep does is remove votes that are considered illegitimate. The only known and openly stated criteria is multiple votes coming from the same ID/IP. All the other reasons a vote might be considered illegitimate are kept secret, because posting the specs for your security system in the front lawn isn't a good idea ;)

If your score went up after the sweep, you were likely the victim of people downvoting your story. If your score went down then you probably have an overzealous cheerleader.
 
We've seen our highest rated story decrease over forty votes in two days. Rating was unchanged, but forty seems like a lot of votes.
-MM
 
OK thanks everyone. I haven't entered any contests but it sounds like you are saying they don't limit this only to contest stories. Only my 7th story and who knows maybe it happened before and I just didnt notice.

FYI for those who say it only takes out low scores that isn't the case. The only way it could have gone from the score before to the current score is if all the ones they removed were rated 5.
 
Technically, you enter a contest every time you post a story. You're very likely to see another sweep on each of your stories whenever the month they were published is tallied for the monthly awards. Every story posted is eligible for those.

Sweeps also happen by author request, to fix manipulation of the toplists, etc. Any kind of sweep could have affected you. The contest sweeps have always seemed to hit stories outside the contest with some shrapnel, and they appear to be more aggressive than other sweeps, which is why I indicated it's the likely culprit for your lost votes. The final contest sweeps also happened just before you made your post.

OK thanks everyone. I haven't entered any contests but it sounds like you are saying they don't limit this only to contest stories. Only my 7th story and who knows maybe it happened before and I just didnt notice.

FYI for those who say it only takes out low scores that isn't the case. The only way it could have gone from the score before to the current score is if all the ones they removed were rated 5.
 
It's fairly common for Lit to delete votes. There's something called the sweep that allegedly takes out particularly bad votes, such as one or two ones. I'm not convinced it doesn't take out the top end as well, but as the impact on the score is far less, unless your score is atrocious, it's a lot harder to see. GT

It does take out top end votes as well but the impact is less marked. In the April Fools contest that just finished one sweep took out about four one stars and I went from 4.87 to 4.92. The next sweep took out about 18 votes and I went from 4.92 to 4.86. I think that last one was only fun on the top few stories but not sure about that.
 
My submissions have all been rated as between 4.2 and 4.5 . Every time I submit a new chapter it very early on receieves a 1star. It's noticeable because it drops the average so drastically. I suspect the same person does this for reasons best known to themselves, it has been suggested to me by a fellow author that it's because it's Fem Dom with a submissive male and this upsets this particular person.
 
Not Just You

My submissions have all been rated as between 4.2 and 4.5 . Every time I submit a new chapter it very early on receieves a 1star. It's noticeable because it drops the average so drastically. I suspect the same person does this for reasons best known to themselves, it has been suggested to me by a fellow author that it's because it's Fem Dom with a submissive male and this upsets this particular person.

There's at least one ass-hole (the technical name for a troll) who enjoys one-bombing virtually any story that comes out, especially early on so the score drops like a stone. I get it on virtually every story and so do a lot of others. He, she or it (my money's on it) seems especially hard on new authors. The sweep might eventually get rid of the one-bomb, but the damage has been done by then.

Should Lit ban guys like this? Sure. I suspect they'd be easy to identify. However, near as I know Lit doesn't ban anyone except for plagiarism, and not all that often even then. Fix the problem, and you're golden. Sometimes that's even the right answer.
 
Someone recently bombed all the ratings of my new book that I'm currently putting out. Every single chapter was rated hot with dozens of ratings, then in one night every chapter had dozens of new ratings and plummeted by a point or more in score. I'd like a mod or whoever does the sweeps to look at my chapters and see if they all came from the same IP.
 
You pretty much have to report this by reporting your story, telling Lit that there's weird voting. What they'll do then is run the sweep on your story. If you got hit as hard as you say, that won't be enough, so give them a couple of days and report it again, with as much specificity as you can. Something might be done then. I had one story get nailed by nine one-bombs and it took two tries to get it fixed. Other times nothing got done.
 
Back
Top