How Were Your High School Years?

I enjoyed high school, I was only there three years before college, but I had a blast.
I did a lot of things, ran a lot of things, it was non stop from waking to sleep.
I still have friends from that time, I was considered very wild and a rebel.
I thought I was just a normal.
I was totally uninterested in popularity, I had my friends and my lovers so I didn't care. I had an eclectic group of friends from all over the city.
I ran a large organization, I was in the SCA, I took classes at the local Universities and of course my high school ones.
I choose my high school, that might have made the difference, it was a very good one academically. Almost nothing prior to grad school challenged me as much as my high school did.
 
Boring. I was worried about getting good marks, being all perfect and scholarly. Now, I wish I had a bit more fun.
 
I had a girlfriend and I had a car. That's as good as it gets.
 
Awesome. Feature editor of the school paper; on the creative writing/poetry publication; hung with the jocks, the nerds and the writing folks; got thrown out for selling pot, except for one class, biology, that I couldn't do home study to complete. So every day at 9 am, biology class got out, and the married woman to whom I had given my virginity would pick me up and take me to her house for sex.

All true, no complaints.
 
Utterly fucking miserable. Parents' divorce, torn-up family, relocating nearby, 5 schools in 4 years -- and then dropout, vagabond, finish adult HS far away a few years later. Always the new kid, the outcast. Took me decades to recover. Yes I'm bitter.
 
I had an unusual time in high school. My family lived in a neighborhood that in retrospect we could not afford. My parents busted their ass to provide us your typical idyllic suburban upbringing.

I was popular mainly because one of my best friends was our all-world high school quarterback. I was the ultimate wingman.

Four months of the year I played basketball. The other 8 months of the year I worked 40+ hours a week at restaurants in addition to attending high school full time (a week off in the summer for basketball camp). I don't think they let you do that anymore.

I graduated six months early (I'd attended summer school) and a week later joined the Army. Did not attend my most recent HS reunion, but I saw the pictures on FB. Quite a number of folks hadn't aged well.
 
I had a great time overall. Tight group of friends, also hung out with a lot of folk, sports, dating, beer...was fun. Still get together with hs friends a few times a year.
 
Terrible.

Private School. I graduated in a small class and with next to no social skills prepared for college as a result.
 
Great. Had successful athletic career in football, basketball, baseball, and track. Found the love of my life, and we've been married forever. Good grades. Lots of friends, and I still maintain contact with some of them although I'm 800 miles away.
 
Good, but not spectacular. It was normal. I had enough friends, but wasn't really popular. I joined the literature club, got a boyfriend, went to birthday partys, but wasn't invited everytime.
I had my first time, my first real argument (I just avoided them before that with great success), my first kiss, met my best friend, a temporary break up, got called mean names for some time by some students from another class, wrote generally acceptable grades, got really drunk, had my first hangover, went on a memorable school trip to Paris, managed to get hospitalized.

Also the one time in Paris where this random flower seller gave me a tulip for free because he thought I looked pretty. Thank you, random flower seller.
 
went on a memorable school trip to Paris, managed to get hospitalized.

Also the one time in Paris where this random flower seller gave me a tulip for free because he thought I looked pretty. Thank you, random flower seller.


On my high school trip to london/paris/amsterdam there were 32 girls and 8 boys.

The girls weren't allowed outside the hotel at nite without having a boy with them.

4 of the boys were in the Conflict Simulation Club and spent every nite in their mooms playing D&D.

2 of the boys were in love with each other and spent every nite in their room.

That left two of us, the captain of the hockey team and me, both juniors.

So, for ten days, all the well-heeled pretty senior girls, the ones who usually dated college boys back home, begged us to take them out and we had our pick.

A super sweet ten days.
 
Being a teenager sucks no matter who or what you are. It’s like Nature saying ‘Hey, time you were an adult, took responsibility and did sensible things to plan your future but Hey, here’s a bunch of hormones to fuck you up.’
I was fairly popular, had friends in every year-group, hated contact sports but loved swimming, athletics. I was lucky with my school who encouraged individual expression and the teachers were enthusiastic and kinda inspiring I suppose. The school tolerated my needs so long as I kept them at home and that was my main source of unhappiness. Spent some time behind bike-sheds - never got caught. Best bits: learning about music, getting the grades for university.
 
Pretty damn awesome. I did not realize it at the time but I rocked it. Not the highlight of my life but a great time none the less.
 
Denny

I had a girlfriend and I had a car. That's as good as it gets.
This-----^^^^^^^^^^^^---and I worked at a grocery store after school.

On my high school trip to london/paris/amsterdam there were 32 girls and 8 boys.

The girls weren't allowed outside the hotel at nite without having a boy with them.

4 of the boys were in the Conflict Simulation Club and spent every nite in their mooms playing D&D.

2 of the boys were in love with each other and spent every nite in their room.

That left two of us, the captain of the hockey team and me, both juniors.

So, for ten days, all the well-heeled pretty senior girls, the ones who usually dated college boys back home, begged us to take them out and we had our pick.

A super sweet ten days.
Also this---^^--- Except our high school trip was to New Salem, Ill to see some recreated log cabins where a tall President lived as a kid. We stayed in a crappy log cabin lodge with boys in one and the girls in another.
The girls were kept separate and giggled when boys looked at them.
A boring long weekend and ride on noisy smelly school buses. Pretty much like Lance's trip.
 
About that, but then I moved on to grade 10, and things went significantly more expeditiously. So I'm told.

I was arrested once for talking in maths, and buzzing like a fridge.

Karma Police gets you every time.
 
I was a standard geek, marching band, lit mag, Japanese club, drama club. But I went to a big school and had enough geeky friends so we traveled in packs and no one bothered us much.
 
A few weeks ago I found out that about 95-ish of my HS classmates are dead. I think that's a lot from the Class of '72.
 
Last edited:
High School was a exercise to see how many times I could beat off to Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool..

giphy.webp
 
Back
Top