Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome, tiggerlily. So glad you are published. I hope to get there one day.

Yes, Og, good ole Murphy's Law. Where would we be without it? Doing fine, without mishap, I would suppose.

I was most surprised to see this next entry;

priest-ridden - adj controlled or oppressed by a priest

I was most surprised to see this next entry;

priest-ridden - adj controlled or oppressed by a priest

Think of Rasputin, Cardinal Wolsey, or some of the pre-revolutionary French priests e.g. the St Bartholomew Day massacres.

Anyone who attended a Catholic Boarding School in the UK or Ireland would understand priest-ridden.

To the British government and probably all others in the world.
I don't think these words are seldom but extinct.

COMMON SENSE

Welcome, Tactus. I agree with you about common sense.

Og, I understand oppressive priests and all, but in light of today's problems within the Catholic Church, priest-ridden takes on a new meaning. Almost, foreshadowing. Gave me the willies.

pricket - noun 1.a. a spike on which a candle is stuck b. a candlestick with such a point 2. a buck in his second year

Hello posters. I hope you are having a good day. Here is another one that is unfamiliar to me;

pricker - noun 1. one that pricks; specif: a military light horseman 2. BRIAR, PRICKLE, THORN

Hello posters. I hope you are having a good day. Here is another one that is unfamiliar to me;

pricker - noun 1. one that pricks; specif: a military light horseman 2. BRIAR, PRICKLE, THORN

Upstate NY, we didn't have briar patches in the country. No, we had pricker bushes. :D Sumbritches were painful when you'd slide down an iced-over snow-covered hillock and end up in the bushes.

Rj, we have neither pricker or briar bushes, we have blackberry bushes and every year I engage in something called the Blackberry Wars, in which I once again try to beat back the horrid things and find a bit more ground underneath to till into something a little nicer. I end up a bloody mess usually, even with protective clothing.

prick(2) - vt 1. to pierce slightly with a sharp point 2. to affect with anguish, grief, or remorse 3. to ride, guide, or urge on with spurs 4. to mark by means of a small mark 5. to trace or outline with punctures 6. to remove (a young seedling) from the seedbed to another suitable for further growth 7. to cause to be or stand erect [a dog ~ing his ears] ~ vi 1.a. to prick something or cause a prickling sensation b. to feel discomfort as if from being pricked 2.a. to urge a horse with the spur b. to ride fast 3. THRUST 4. to become directed upward: POINT - prick up one's ears: to listen intently

Somehow, the definition for prick as a dick is absent from my source, but I am sure it is in Og's Slang Dictionary.

Have you looked to see if there is another entry for prick, Allard? You've done the verb; the noun should be just before it. Mine (dictionary, that is, not prick) gives meaning 4. penis, usu. considered vulgar.

Tio, the closest my dictionary gets is this;

prick(1) - noun 2.a. a pointed instrument or weapon b. a sharp projecting organ or part

My dictionary must be R rated. I need a new one, I fear. LOL

That's really bad. I was looking in the Webster's New World Ninth Collegiate from 1985, and it has that meaning. I'd better get you a new dictionary, my dearest unspouse.

Rj, we have neither pricker or briar bushes, we have blackberry bushes and every year I engage in something called the Blackberry Wars, in which I once again try to beat back the horrid things and find a bit more ground underneath to till into something a little nicer. I end up a bloody mess usually, even with protective clothing.

prick(2) - vt 1. to pierce slightly with a sharp point 2. to affect with anguish, grief, or remorse 3. to ride, guide, or urge on with spurs 4. to mark by means of a small mark 5. to trace or outline with punctures 6. to remove (a young seedling) from the seedbed to another suitable for further growth 7. to cause to be or stand erect [a dog ~ing his ears] ~ vi 1.a. to prick something or cause a prickling sensation b. to feel discomfort as if from being pricked 2.a. to urge a horse with the spur b. to ride fast 3. THRUST 4. to become directed upward: POINT - prick up one's ears: to listen intently

Somehow, the definition for prick as a dick is absent from my source, but I am sure it is in Og's Slang Dictionary.

Prick could mean - male boss or in case of wives, the husband.
And, in fairy tales, what sent Sleeping Beauty on a hundred year slumber

Yes, darling Tio, I am handicapped by my lack of good sources, and I am the OP! LOL

I must add this character;

Priapus - noun the gog of male generative power in classical antiquity

What a great article about one of the more endearing gods of Olympus. I was pleased to see Priapus is the son of my favorite, Dionysus, and maybe Aphrodite, but jealous Hera is the one who gave his a permanent erection. I especially enjoyed the part where they said a penis has a mind of its own. I have often thought that. They don't make gods like that anymore, darn it.

priapic - adj PHALLUS

Anyone ever call their college president this:

prexy also prex - noun slang: PRESIDENT used chiefly of a college president

What a great article about one of the more endearing gods of Olympus. I was pleased to see Priapus is the son of my favorite, Dionysus, and maybe Aphrodite, but jealous Hera is the one who gave his a permanent erection. I especially enjoyed the part where they said a penis has a mind of its own. I have often thought that. They don't make gods like that anymore, darn it.

priapic - adj PHALLUS

Wisakajak, the Cree demi-creator, started off with a penis so long he carried it in a box on his back. A bit of mis-use gets it chewed down to a more manageable size, though.

Anyone ever call their college president this:

prexy also prex - noun slang: PRESIDENT used chiefly of a college president

Yes, but in the 60s, and derogatorily.

Tio, thanks for the additional information on huge penises. And your college pres.

previse - vt 1. FORESEE 2. FOREWARN

henhussy n. a man who does housework

(And then along came the women's liberation movement)

Sam, that is one of those words that almost defines itself. Henhubby would have said it all.

prévenance - noun attentiveness to or anticipation of others' needs or an instance of such anticipation

Sam, that is one of those words that almost defines itself. Henhubby would have said it all.

prévenance - noun attentiveness to or anticipation of others' needs or an instance of such anticipation

It's a thing which often declines in a man as he ages.

phenology • n., the science dealing with the influence of climate on the recurrence of such annual phenomena of animal and plant life as budding and bird migrations.

The word was used in an NPR broadcast about the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back