The Official Authors' Hangout April Fool's 2018 Support Thread

Congrats to the winners! These events give some decent exposure for new-ish writers like myself, especially to readers who may not necessarily read in my usual category. It was a fun ride, thanks to all who read, and literotica for hosting the event. :)
 
Congrats to the winners! These events give some decent exposure for new-ish writers like myself, especially to readers who may not necessarily read in my usual category. It was a fun ride, thanks to all who read, and literotica for hosting the event. :)

Don't they just and congratulations to you too for ranking so highly at the end. You're right about the exposure and welcome to the AH as well.
 
Congratulations to the winners.

My story had a dismal score of 3.38 and 217 votes. After the scan, 7 votes were removed out of 217 and my score climbed from 3.38 to 3.40.

I don't care about the contest. I don't want to win a contest. I will not accept any prize money if I win. All that I ask is to be treated fairly.

I kept track of my scores early on and I literally counted dozens of 1 bashing votes. Yet, only 7 votes were removed, two of which were 5 votes. Seriously? Are you kidding me? Yet, this isn't the first time.

Just once, I'd like to have an honest score that represents my hard work in writing my stories. I get it. Laurel no longer wants me to write stories here. Why? I have no idea.

Yet, I did write a story. Why should my story not be scanned in the way that everyone else's story is scanned? Why am I so singled out?

No doubt, the moderator will remove this post. Yet, if feel better writing the truth. This bullshit with my stories not being scanned has been going on for years, since I won the last Survivor contest in 2016.

When they couldn't beat me, they changed the rules from chapter stories to no chapter stories and back to chapter stories. Then, when they still couldn't beat me, they cancelled the contest (lol).

Afraid I'd having the highest score in a theme contest, they don't scan my story for 1 votes. I don't want to win. I don't want the money. I just want an honest score.

I feel honored to be so singled out. I'm the only writer on the site who doesn't have her contest stories scanned for bashing 1 votes. Just imagine how high my scores would be if they scanned my stories for bashing 1 votes.

Thank you, Laurel. I don't understand your contempt but I feel honored to be so despised.

God bless you and have a pleasant afternoon and evening.
 
Last edited:
Congrats to the winners! These events give some decent exposure for new-ish writers like myself, especially to readers who may not necessarily read in my usual category. It was a fun ride, thanks to all who read, and literotica for hosting the event. :)

Without a doubt! The contests are an exciting whirlwind of activity that add a whole new dimension to the writing process. All the best to your new exposure and to all the new followers it will bring. :)
 
It's an interesting scoring and sweeping system, Susan. I don't worry about it too much now - yes, some of us could do better or worse if the sweeps were different but I more enjoy the competitions themselves. It's a good incentive for me to write something new and get it out. I'm not to worried about the final scoring - I came 4th in this one by my count and I was watching the sweeping and seeing the score and votes moving around so I have a good idea of what was happening. Quite fascinating to watch but hey, no complaints from me. I've had a couple of competitions where I didn't think the one stars were swept from my story that well either but whatever. It's not transparent by any means but if it was can you imagine the shenanigans. Eeeeek. I mean, I lost it in that summer competition with Sammi Woo but hey, whatever.... in the end it's fun writing
 
Congrats

Congrats to the winners :)

First Place ($150 Cash Prize Winner):
Fools Buzz In by theravenfox

Second Place ($100 Cash Prize Winner):
The Wanton Flower by tomlitilia

Third Place ($75 Cash Prize Winner):
Angel, Devil, Phantom, Fool. by Alice_Rosaleen

Your best bet is to consider any flurry of 11th hour votes to be meaningless so far as your final score is concerned. Whether positive or negative, the bulk of those votes coming in on the last day or so are almost always going to be somebody doing something underhanded. It's been happening as long as I've been around.

Somewhat less true if you got in late/last minute, but even then, there's a week between the close of submissions and the final sweep. The contest effect isn't strong enough to account for a surge in voting a week out.

Well done everyone. Congrats to the winners well deserved wins :)
 
Oh, wow. Didn't see that coming. That was quite the sweep!
Thanks everyone, and congrats to theravenfox and Alice_Rosaleen!
 
Okay, this is too weird.

My story went from 97 votes late last night (and most of those came in during the last two days) down to 22 votes now, with the score dropping from solid contender to also-ran, without enough votes to even be in the running.

Over 75% of the votes cast were illegit?!

I don’t have a particularly active or rabid fan base available to stuff the ballot box. I wonder if there was a glitch in the votes counted initially, then corrected this morning, since I cannot see anyway that 3+ out of 4 votes were actually cast for the story, but deemed sweep-worthy shortly after. Unless there’s a voting bot out there that just loves campy Robin and Batgirl sex.

That's been known to happen. Someone's jealous.
 
Congratulations to the winners and cheers to the other participants. My contest stories uniformly score higher (after the sweeps) than those not submitted to contests. Both this time lost six or seven votes but went up significantly in rating, one from 4.33 to 4.61 and the other from 3.98 to 4.47.
 
Congrats theravenfox and tomlitilia! I feel honored to have placed. And surprised- especially since I had to stop checking the score myself and someone emailed me last night to say I hadn't placed, so I thought it was already over with! Early April Fool? Thanks to everyone who read or voted!
 
No shit, batman. Saw you jump. Ruthless, that's what it was. Ruthless!

I think people started downvoting me when your piece came out, with me fucking up a mag change.

Hell, I’d have downvoted me, too. What kind of self-respecting Lit writer can’t make an L1A1 work? Sheesh.
 
I think people started downvoting me when your piece came out, with me fucking up a mag change.

Hell, I’d have downvoted me, too. What kind of self-respecting Lit writer can’t make an L1A1 work? Sheesh.

:eek: OMG! I'm sorry. My rewrite and edit, we'll work on those mag changes! LOL. And 7.62, we'll work on the gore as well. :D
 
Congratulations to the winners

Congrats to the winners :)

First Place ($150 Cash Prize Winner):
Fools Buzz In by theravenfox

Second Place ($100 Cash Prize Winner):
The Wanton Flower by tomlitilia

Third Place ($75 Cash Prize Winner):
Angel, Devil, Phantom, Fool. by Alice_Rosaleen

Your best bet is to consider any flurry of 11th hour votes to be meaningless so far as your final score is concerned. Whether positive or negative, the bulk of those votes coming in on the last day or so are almost always going to be somebody doing something underhanded. It's been happening as long as I've been around.

Somewhat less true if you got in late/last minute, but even then, there's a week between the close of submissions and the final sweep. The contest effect isn't strong enough to account for a surge in voting a week out.

I was pleased that in the final adjustment sweep (which I still do not quite understand!) my score went up from 4.67 last time I looked to 4.83. Not sure how many votes I lost, but think I went down from just over 350 to 323. Still, 4.83 ranks alongside my best 3 or 4 scores to date, so I cannot complain.

I enjoyed The Wanton Flower, but not read the other two yet (not sure how I play the audio on the iPad TBH, as I do not have earphones, I might have to wait until everyone’s out of the house, particularly the little angels!)
 
Back
Top