The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decaf? That word will never pass my lips. I'm at work or i'd come up with a good image to go with the thought:D but I'll have to default. I am currently about to inhale a large mug of Columbian / Hazelnut blend. It smells divine. I'm having a religious moment here.

I knew I'd find one when I got home..... I had to do this, I just had to....

https://encrypted-tbn1.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStVzXPHykfjuCd6yi-Hw-h6vXRsYwQb7PvoBb82X4ogQTAs-mQ

how-to-drink-coffee.jpg

413f5a3ed393dbf575ca3d163f9b3fef.jpg

Depending on how much walking I've done in the day I may lower myself to a decaf if it's after 3:00 p.m., but if I've exceeded my daily 10K steps? Never! Besides a half bottle of good red wine does wonders for one's ability to get to sleep, official medical doctrine to the contrary.

All those doctors who believe otherwise are probably Northerners!

Evening y'all. I'm settling in with some decaf (shhhh don't tell Chloe). I've worked my ass off this week and I think I'll be able to finish this week's work hours tonight. I'll have four hours of free time tomorrow! All to myself! To write smut! Which I haven't really done in four years!

Now watch a kid get sick just to spite me. :rolleyes:

I'm home a half gallon low on blood but I have a flu shot and pneumonia shot. After much poking and prodding they have confirmed i am not dead or likely to die in the next couple of months. After that, I have a new appointment. I have all new medications across the board.

Next time I get x-rays plus labs. Then I'll be low on blood and glow in the dark. :)

Tx! My goodness. I hope all is well.

Evening y'all. I'm settling in with some decaf (shhhh don't tell Chloe). I've worked my ass off this week and I think I'll be able to finish this week's work hours tonight. I'll have four hours of free time tomorrow! All to myself! To write smut! Which I haven't really done in four years!

Now watch a kid get sick just to spite me. :rolleyes:

Tx! My goodness. I hope all is well.

:eek: De-caf? Say that's not so! :eek:

Good luck with the writing. I've taken some time off from it myself as of late. It might be a good time to climb back on board.

All is well. Just some old folks hospital humor. Humor is some of the best medicine in the world. ;)

Never tried to make pirogi but pizzelli make me want to buy a deep fat fryer!

Pierogies? I always buy the dough but they're so easy to make. I make huge batches and freeze them. Easier to make than chinese dumplines and there's some good recipes online. I'm just getting some out of the freezer now to take with me for lunch now that you've reminded me. :D

All is well. Just some old folks hospital humor. Humor is some of the best medicine in the world. ;)

Humor and coffee!!!! Glad you managed to get that coffee in the end (and not decaf - Chloe shudders visibly at the mere thought....)

And...... it's Friday! And I'm waiting waiting waiting for my Valentine's Day story to get out of pending. And trying to make up my mind what to write next. I've got half a dozen stories or chapters partly written. I need to focus here!!!!

https://encrypted-tbn3.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXpySLDzWe6TECKFSvJif24J227aJ91vtXfbGGkhXGDLDVvVnXmw

Last edited:
Pierogies? I always buy the dough but they're so easy to make. I make huge batches and freeze them. Easier to make than chinese dumplines and there's some good recipes online. I'm just getting some out of the freezer now to take with me for lunch now that you've reminded me. :D

Buy the dough? :eek:
That's relatively simple to make as well. The recipe I have only calls for three ingredients...but it does require a lot patience, sure.

Buy the dough? :eek:
That's relatively simple to make as well. The recipe I have only calls for three ingredients...but it does require a lot patience, sure.

Its the time making the dough. Easier to buy it pre-made, and its a lot faster. Mind you, I could say the same about instant coffee.....:eek:

:D I was going to say ladies, ladies but then i remembered who I was talking to. Instant... *cough**Gag* my ass.

It is Fryday so go out and fry something. I'm having catfish, french fries, and hush puppies for supper.

Ok, the coffee is fresh and the kettle is hot. Help yourselves and please play nice. :)

Depending on how much walking I've done in the day I may lower myself to a decaf if it's after 3:00 p.m., but if I've exceeded my daily 10K steps? Never! Besides a half bottle of good red wine does wonders for one's ability to get to sleep, official medical doctrine to the contrary.

All those doctors who believe otherwise are probably Northerners!

As with all things, moderation is important (maybe even - vital).
Half a bottle per day is not excessive, and has, I have no doubt, contributed to the longevity of many a man.

Its the time making the dough. Easier to buy it pre-made, and its a lot faster. Mind you, I could say the same about instant coffee.....:eek:

Instant what-now? Why must you spew such vile blasphemy so early in the morning?
;)

I have my 'real coffee' brew after breakfast, made in a 'cafetière', I think it's called.
I have to faff about with fine powder stuff and hot (not boiling !) water, heat the milk in the (microwave), add the sugar, and mix in the mug.
And the coffee is Dowe Egberts or Taylors of Harrogate
I figure there have to be at least two of you to warrant a machine.

I mentioned de-caf because I have heard that it is possible to do oneself no good by having too much coffee, too strong, too often. Apparently it does no good to the nervous system and can take a while to get over it. I have no desire to cause revulsion or chaos by merely mentioning the stuff (although it ain't that bad if you're desperate for a flavour). Perish the thought!.

I'd be interested to know what types of coffee are available to you guys. Arabica, Kenya Peabody, Blue Mountain or what ?

:)

I mentioned de-caf because I have heard that it is possible to do oneself no good by having too much coffee, too strong, too often. Apparently it does no good to the nervous system and can take a while to get over it. I have no desire to cause revulsion or chaos by merely mentioning the stuff (although it ain't that bad if you're desperate for a flavour). Perish the thought!. I'd be interested to know what types of coffee are available to you guys. Arabica, Kenya Peabody, Blue Mountain or what ?)

All joking aside, I drink at least one glass of water for every cup of coffee. Flush that caffeine thru. Types of coffee? Mine is all just blends from the supermarket. I have no idea where the beans come from. I'm no coffee connesieur - as long as its strong and it tastes ok I'm good. I do have a weakness for hazelnut'vanilla tho

All joking aside, I drink at least one glass of water for every cup of coffee. Flush that caffeine thru. Types of coffee? Mine is all just blends from the supermarket. I have no idea where the beans come from. I'm no coffee connesieur - as long as its strong and it tastes ok I'm good. I do have a weakness for hazelnut'vanilla tho

We've only recently been 'exposed' to flavourings for coffee (in our local shop), way out in the sticks, so I cannot say I've tried any of them. I have enough trouble getting an acceptable blend ! (This is due to my taste buds being burned almost to a crisp by the Linac that burned out the tumour in my throat).
I generally settle of normal "instant" (Nescafe) every other time.

The reason I mentioned it is that I remember the story of a military pilot who was taken off flying duties as his nerves were having trouble with excess coffee. Apparently it took him a while to get back in the flying seat.

I'd be interested to know what types of coffee are available to you guys. Arabica, Kenya Peabody, Blue Mountain or what ?

:)

We have plenty of variety from all over central and south America, Indonesia, and Africa. If you can name it, you can probably find it, though it may be expensive depending on the origin, and whether you have to go to some specialty shop for it.

I have a deep love of Kona, but I usually end up with Kona blends because I'm spoiled, but not that spoiled. :D

I usually drink my coffee black. I will only add hot water to dilute it if that's necessary. The only time anything dairy based, or sweet is mixed into my coffee, is if I am having a coffee based cocktail.

We've only recently been 'exposed' to flavourings for coffee (in our local shop), way out in the sticks, so I cannot say I've tried any of them. I have enough trouble getting an acceptable blend ! (This is due to my taste buds being burned almost to a crisp by the Linac that burned out the tumour in my throat).
I generally settle of normal "instant" (Nescafe) every other time.

The reason I mentioned it is that I remember the story of a military pilot who was taken off flying duties as his nerves were having trouble with excess coffee. Apparently it took him a while to get back in the flying seat.

Ah, I think, most coffee offered in pre-packaged containers at our grocery stores, or at fast food places, tend to be on the mild side, while grocery stores that allow shoppers to mix their own blends, specialty cafes and bakeries, or places trying to seem fancy will offer more variety.

I think most have been indoctrinated with the idea that dark roast=bitter=gross, and so they seek more milder roasts that advertising promises to be more flavorful.

I love Sumatran coffee but generally just go with something moderate. I do like variety too.

I make my own pierogi dough. It's easy to make and finicky to work with.

We've only recently been 'exposed' to flavourings for coffee (in our local shop), way out in the sticks, so I cannot say I've tried any of them. ...

IMO ... Don't!

Ack!

I'd rather drink decaf than flavored coffee. ... and I don't drink decaf.

This is the coffee I use in my espresso / latte machine:

53c06295272f9046bd8208873f277c61_medium.png

And sometimes, I'd like to have it this way:

20111113-134828.jpg

Now I know who stole my last coffee mug. :eek:

If there is oil floating on the top, the coffee is about twice as strong as it needs to be. If it tasted bitter when cold. The coffee is too strong when made. The directions on most cans of coffee tell you to use twice as much coffee as you need. They are out to sell coffee remember.

Regular grind should be run back through a grinder until it is a fine grind. The more surface area, the more coffee flavor you get. The only instant coffee I ever tasted that was near right was Kava and I think they quit making it years ago. It was great for lightweight camping and fishing trips.

Most of the time it is not the coffee you use but the amount of coffee you use and or the type of water. Hard water will make any coffee bitter. Not to mention screwing up a good coffee maker.

*Climbs down and puts stool away*

What is one supposed to do with these little 'capsules' ?

I rarely have my coffee black (a throw-back to an Ulcer) but I do have a fair bit of milk (occasionally cream) and a little sugar, but it seems that it is served in a small cup and jet black.

Ah well, back to the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back